Chapter 2

Better than Good

 

Chapter 2

 

 

Kyuhyun boarded a delivery truck going to Seoul, unnoticed by the owner. He went inside the cold freezer of a fish delivery. In his cold place, Kyuhyun flashes back to the time when his father left him and his sister, SoonKyu, with their aunt. His father wanted to look for his mother who ran away to the U.S. with another man. Even though Kyuhyun’s aunt didn’t want to take them, his father left him and his sister with her aunt anyway.

 

--

 

“Mr. Choi Siwon, the company badly wants a great pianist on a minimal budget and it’s also beneficial to the school to get a donation.” Assistant Kim explained to the bored-looking Siwon.

“Then let’s go to a planning meeting!” Siwon exclaimed.

--

“Neh? I rejected the offer?” Im Yoona surprisingly questioned.

After hearing the startling news that she rejected her admission to the Seoul University, Yoona runs into Jessica who smirks in evil satisfaction. She feigns surprise at their meeting and mentions how she was admitted.

“Oh Yoona! I’m sorry to hear that you rejected the offer in this prestigious university. Well you see, I had been on the waiting list and another student who’d received a full scholarship rejected the admission. Whoever it was, I’m really grateful. But oh! I have to go, a car is waiting for me already! Toodles!” Jessica stated and Yoona was left speechless.

After the disheartening news and the infuriating meeting with smug Jessica, Yoona wandered around the City for a bit. Then she calls the factory she recently worked on and asks for Kyuhyun. However, he’s not there. Dejected, she wandered around and got chased off a bench by a scary homeless lady and intimated by a pair of bickering black men.

She’s at the end of her rope when she finds a motel for the night. It is then, at the end of a trying day that she is able to put the pieces together: Madame Jung had hidden the mail from her and her daughter, Jessica, had smugly wanted to thank the “person” who rejected the admission so she herself could be admitted.

Morning came and Yoona sees an article in the morning paper featuring a rich man, Choi Siwon, handling the dean of the Seoul University a sum of money.

--

Siwon was in a meeting for Le Muzika. Looking so bored, he just wants to melt into the carpet.

“So, how much is the Seoul Branch’s annual revenue?” Siwon questioned.

“Well, the branch focuses more on research and development.” Assistant Kim responded.

“How much is the budget then?” Siwon continued.

“Just enough to run Seoul University, Sir!” The others answered.

This doesn’t please Siwon who wants to make profits right for banking. He suggests launching a brand, which makes the board members uneasy.

“But that requires a lot of capital and Seoul Markets aren’t easy.” One of the boards stated.

With a smile, Siwon suggested to begin meeting at 7AM tomorrow. He left an astonished board behind.

When Assistant Kim tries to dissuade him, one look from laser-eyed Siwon makes Kim squeak, “I’ll be there at 6:30!”

--

They step into an elevator where Yoona is waiting. Her eyes nearly pop out of her head when she sees Siwon and she immediately introduces herself. Apparently, she explained that Siwon used to visit Jung’s Music School, where she had worked, in Chung Dam Dong with his mother. But sadly, he doesn’t remember her.

Yoona followed him down the hall while Assistant Kim tries to block her. She explained that while reading the paper, she saw that he knows the dean of Seoul University. That’s why she came to meet him. She was accepted to the school with promise of dorm and money so she only bought a one way ticket. But something went wrong and she doesn’t have the money to go back.

Siwon was unmoved by her story and tells Assistant Kim to give her money before brushing past. Kim is extremely annoyed by her supposed “racketeering” for airfare.

“Doesn’t he know that I knew he wouldn’t remember me?” Yoona thought.

“Excuse me sir, but when did I ever ask for a plane ticket? Rich people like you never waste a dime on people like me, I know! I just heard you donated money and knew the dean so I came to ask what went wrong with my admission” she explained.

Yoona thanked him for the money Kim had handed her and promises to use it well before she leaves. Now, Siwon was intrigued and asks Kim to find out if she is really Im Yoona.

Flashback.

Siwon is at a party at Jung’s Music School. Siwon’s mom was there, too. He sees a school-aged Yoona piling food onto a plate and sneaking off, so he follows her, curiosity piqued. When she left, he entered the room and finds the food laid out for memorial ceremony. A crash brings his attention to the next room where Madam Jung is scolding Yoona for leaving the party, even though it’s her parents Memorial Day. Why didn’t Yoona respect the day of her opening ceremony when she raised her? Madam Jung forbids her from attending the party.

A phone ringing alerts Yoona to Siwon’s presence. He answers, “Yes mom,” and motions for Yoona to remain silent.

End.

Siwon smiles to himself as he realizes that Yoona was telling the truth.

--

Yoona tried to find an apartment that whole day, she knocks on the door of the harassed tenant and it swings open to reveal a woman renting a room, Pianist Taeyeon, who has three rules.

1) Never bring a man in here.

2) She has to eat by herself.

3) Cleaning is to be done each day and they take turns every other day.

Secret rule number 4: Rent is due two months in advance.

Yoona asks to pay after and even when she promises to cook and clean, But Taeyeon asks her to leave. But then, one person pops out complaining about the unarranged notes for her piece. And she’s gonna sue Taeyeon if it’s not perfect. Yoona seizes the opportunity to demonstrate her wicked skills with a piano.

--

Loan shark Heechul and his gang of lackies are watching the news. It has been about some mutinies in the ocean selling ships illegally and at that moment, Cho Kyuhyun was spotted behind the reporters wandering around the streets, Suddenly Heechul asks if his woman has been found and he muses that she may be meeting Kyuhyun in Seoul.

--

Yoona phones Jung School and Sooyoung was the one to pick up the phone. Sooyoung sounded happy to hear from Yoona. But y Madam Jung is not and refuses to talk to her. Sooyoung hung up and informs Madam Jung that Yoona is doing well in Seoul and asked after the shop. With a smirk, Madam Jung says she should just worry about herself.

--

Mrs. Choi walks in and Madam Jung handed her another piece she made for her wondering if she solved the problem she mentioned last time. Mrs. Choi did, thanks to Madam Jung’s connections. Not one to let an opportunity slip, Madam Jung asks for a favor. Her daughter, Jessica, got into Seoul University and has no place to stay but at a hotel. So she asked if she can stay with her son until her house in Seoul is renovated. Although Mrs. Choi looks burdened, she agreed.

--

Jessica then moved into Siwon’s Seoul apartment.

“Hi Siwon! You remember me, right?” Jessica stated.

“I’m sorry I can’t. Just be comfortable here, okay? Oh! How long are you staying anyway?” Siwon questioned.

Jessica just raised her shoulders and motioned to wander around the house.

When Jessica was about to leave, Siwon asked if she knows Im Yoona, since they both got into Seoul University. Jessica wants to know why, but he tells her that she doesn’t really need to know.

“Think of it as you house and rest peacefully” he says as he breezes by an extremely pissed off Jessica.

--

Jessica called her dearest mom who told her not to think of Yoona as an easy opponent and to learn from her.

Then Madam Jung immediately called Mrs. Choi. She was annoyed by the call. Then, her seamstress mentions that Siwon’s ex-girlfriend, Seohyun, is a famous pianist in Seoul now. Mrs. Choi’s face turns stormy and she snaps at her seamstress.

--

She was working on a mini-concert and was arranging and outing together the pieces with the artistic director when Seohyun’s phone rings. He shoots her a dirty look so she just ignored the call. After the concert, she is on the phone, yelling at someone. While Siwon was seen waiting for her infront of her door. Her attitude was still the same.

“It’s been a while, are you still mad?” Siwon stated but Seohyun just gave him a death glare.

Siwon pushes his way to Seohyun’s apartment, took a seat and told her that he misses her so much but she was not interested.

“What the hell are you doing here, Choi Siwon?” Seohyun muttered emphasizing his name.

“You are now successful Seo Joohyun, but it must be difficult with all the racism. Hey! Why don’t we work together?” he proposed.

Siwon handed her an envelope.

“This is the best I can do”

“Why are you doing this, Siwon?”

“Because you’re talented!”

When Siwon left, Seohyun opened the envelope and in it is a contract for a freelance composer with Le Muzika.

--

At the office, Assistant Kim explained that he doesn’t think a world famous composer will come to their company

“Although they’re huge in Jeju and other cities in South Korea, they’re not that big in the Seoul market. Also, what if your mother finds out about Seohyun’s contract?” Assistant Kim added.

Siwon was annoyed and demanded to know what the papers on his disk are.

“They are from a talented new composer who is not Seohyun, Sir…”

The conversation was interrupted by Assistant Kim’s phone. Im Yoona has been found. Suddenly, Siwon was no longer bored and smiled to himself.

--

At Taeyeon’s apartment, the lady said that she was happy with the song Yoona recently composed. She haggled and she promised to spread the word because soon Taeyeon will be a world famous composer, thanks to Yoona!

The lady left already and Taeyeon suggests they break for a meal, which Yoonaboffers to make. Then Taeyeon thanked God for sending her such a talented roommate for now her woes are over.

Seoul University called for Yoona the next day so she immediately went before the committee. Someone higher-ups called upon her behalf for that interview.

“We normally don’t give interviews” one of the committee stated and Yoona was ecstatic.

--

Kyuhyun finaly made it to the City. The truck already dropped him off in front of Seoul University. He got avoided by the people inside because he smells fishy. He spied a rack of men’s clothing and puts on the most heinous, pimp-tastic suit to inquire after Yoona. But the lady told him that Yoona doesn’t exist in their school, just as she walks behind him, smiling at her good fortune. Kyuhyun was deflated then suddenly a pair of men came to reclaim the suit, now, and assume he’s trying to steal it. So he was told to strip in the stairwell. He stripped with embarrassment. As he was leaving, he sees Siwon…

“Choi Siwon!” he was ecstatic to see him and enveloped him in a tight hug but still smelling like a fish.

Siwon was lesst than pleased to see him. Kyuhyun lied that he had a show in Seoul and his employee is here at the famous Seoul University. But Siwon is incredulous that someone just from anywhere would come there for shoes, and that angered Kyuhyun.

He lied that he has a meeting with a well-known manager.

“If you came to see the manager about business, then you should go ahead!” Siwon said then walked away.

But Kyuhyun isn’t about to let the only person he knows in Seoul walk away that easily. He tried for several minute to get Siwon to agree to a meal or tea. Finally, he told him his story but Siwon looked bored. He asked for money to eat for a few days and he won’t forget it for the rest of his life.

But Siwon just lean forward and say nastily, “I told you before, I don’t have money to lend YOU!” then he brushes by him.

But Kyuhyun was incredibly in need. So he stormed into Siwon’s meeting, hauls him up by his collar and asked him to come outside. And Siwon just told him to stop because it was embarrassing.

“Well, this is what you want Choi Siwon!” Kyuhyun muttered then gave Siwon a great punch…