Chapter 3

Better than Good

 

Chapter 3

 

 

Cho Kyuhyun’s request has just been brutally rebuffed by Choi Siwon who has no money for the likes of Kyuhyun. So the incensed Kyuhyun barrels into Siwon’s meeting with the teach of the Seoul University. He yanked Siwon up by the collar, embarrassing him in front of his important guest.

Kyuhyun had cast aside his pride in order to beg for money for food and is furious at Siwon’s disdain.

“You try being me and you try to go hungry for four days and see what you are capable of.” Kyuhyun dared.

But security suddenly came and took him away, kicking and screaming and hurling death threats at the heartless Siwon.

But Kyuhyun wasn’t without his wits as he assaulted Siwon. He gained a pilfered wallet full of hundreds.

“This is what I’m talking about! Oh yeah!”

The wallet holds not only cash but a ticket for a Marc Andre Hamelin show and a picture of a woman with “Forever love, Seohyun” written on the back of it. That gives Kyuhyun a chuckle.

But Kyuhyun’s not about to get that easy. A kid runs by and snatches the wallet and Kyuhyun gives chase, but loses the thief. Still, he has Seohyun’s picture though.

--

The next phase of Kyuhyun’s story after selling knock-offs, running from loan sharks, is the street rat phase. He is starving and starts eating restaurant leftovers, garbage and stealing from corner stores.

As poor Kyuhyun lives as a bum, Yoona writes him an e-mail, telling him how well she’s doing and how glad she is to have met him. And offered Kyuhyun that when he’s available, she’ll treat him to a good meal.

--

On a bench, which looks like that crazy homeless lady’s bench, Kyuhyun eats stolen junk food and cries out his misery. By chance, he spots some crumpled paper with some lyrics and notes in it in the trash then scratches his as he goes to check them out.

He finds a two dollar bill inside the crumpled paper and uses it at an internet cafe where his smell becomes the topic of conversation. Yoona’s e-mail induces more tears and preempts a visit to Seoul University where she is finishing up a long day.

An impatient Kyuhyun waits for Yoona to finish and the moment she appears, his sorrows immediately lift and he embraces the stunned music student tightly.

“Where were you? I’ve been looking for you!” he muttered in surprise.

--

Taeyeon is reading about something when Yoona brings home the stray. They greet each other, she was taken aback by his beauty…and the stench. He moves to sit on her sofa but Taeyeon suggests a shower first because Kyuhyun looks like he’s traveled a lot.

“Neh!” Kyuhyun agreed.

Yoona fills Taeyeon in on his story and Taeyeon wonders if they are more than boss and factory worker.

“Do you really have boss and worker relationship?” Taeyeon questioned.

“Definitely yes, unnie!” she answered.

Then, after some minutes, Kyuhyun comes out of the shower in a towel and gets the once over by both gaping women before he asks for a change of clothes.

On the roof, Taeyeon informs Yoona that just because a man has a body like that, doesn’t mean that I would allow you to bring boys here. Yoona tries to explain it isn’t that way, but the older women isn’t having it. If Yoona gets caught would do anything more than any relationship they have now, everything she worked for will go down the drain. Taeyeon is willing to let him and her leave the house, but Yoona decides to move out instead.

--

In Siwon’s fancy, schmancy office, Yoona waits for him in order to thank him for his help with her readmission. This pleases Siwon.

She offers to buy him dinner in thanks and he suggests that night. She leaves an envelope with the returned cash and that made Siwon smile.

Jessica showed up at the dinner date, smug as you please, and stakes her claim with Siwon with a few barbs throw in. Yoona holds her ground, tells the witch that she’s no match for Siwon and the witch announces that her mother, Madam Jung, hates her.

Enter arrogant Siwon and on goes Jessica’s nice evil-step-sister routine. She asks way too many questions and offers her mother’s help, which Yoona accepts with a smirk, making Siwon smile.

Then, Siwon asks Yoona if she knows Kyuhyun and then go back and forth, both hesitant to answer any questions about him fully. Siwon then discovers that Kyuhyun is a boss in his own shop, he does have an assistant in Seoul which Kyuhyun said he was looking for and that she did meet him, just as Kyuhyun had said.

--

Back in Jeju, a man shows up at the Kyuhyun’s shop asking about his whereabouts and his relationship with Yoona. The seamstresses mention that they slept in the same place back in Kyuhyun’s house. The unknown guy believes they are lovers meeting up and wants contact information for Yoona, which they don’t have.

“Do you have any contact information of Im Yoona?” the guy asked.

“We’re sorry Mister, but we don’t have.” The mistresses answered.

--

Kyuhyun and Yoona move into a slummy apartment. He feels bad that she is shouldering all of the costs even though she gets rent and allowance from school. They use some of their skills to decorate the apartment because she doesn’t get living expenses.

Exhausted, Yoona passes out at the table and Kyuhyun carries her to bed, watching over her with guilty heavy on his shoulders. He decides to redo the lyrics and notes he found in the trash and make some new ones.

--

On a pier, in a very strange scene, Kyuhyun tries to peddle the song he has just re-arranged. One man gets angry, saying that the song was his. He hands Kyuhyun a card, inviting him to see him at any time.

“Strange…” he thought.

Kyuhyun walks home without having sold anything and is kept awake by Yoona who is working on Taeyeon’s things.

She asks if he knows Siwon, which immediately fouls his mood.

“If you know him, then you should ask him to help out if you have any problems.” Yoona stated.

After everything that has passed between them, Kyuhyun is not about to approach the arrogant Siwon for anything and he lashes out at Yoona.

“Did I ever ask you for a favor? You need to mind your own business!” he exclaimed.

Yoona is frustrated but Kyuhyun refuses to ask a man who looks down on “people like them”. He assumes that she and Siwon are “friendly” towards each other.

“If you are annoyed with my presence, then I’ll disappear!” Kyuhyun continued.

He stalks into the bathroom and suddenly recalls that the name on the card he got from Siwon’s wallet, the man on the pier who gave him a name card was the same on the ticket in Siwon’s wallet. He hurries out, avoiding Yoona’s gaze and grabs the card from his jacket.

--

The next day he is welcomed into a fancy place where a bunch of men check him out. He is shown to a room with a mini-stage and lots of instruments and a pretty incredible city view and told to play any instruments he would like at his leisure. It takes a bit for him to get comfortable, but soon Kyuhyun is enjoying the luxury.

He is rudely interrupted by a girl named Seohyun who is, as always, yelling at someone in her phone. Young-gul then stopped playing the piano. Turning on him, Seohyun ordered him to get out from the room. After a moment, he acquises and stands before her calculating eyes. She asks for his height and then whispered…

“You look good but sorry, you don’t fit being a star.”

Kyuhyun jolted and told him that he don’t fit being at the bottom and that he is professional enough.

“Then why are you here?” Seohyun questioned annoyingly.

“Well, I’d like to know that, too.” He answered

She looks frustrated and gives him a once over, wondering if he’s fit being a professional musician.

“I’m in this business too.” Kyuhyun stated but she doesn’t seem to care as she needs to find a man to send to the party.

After their talk, they went on separate ways and he suddenly finds Seohyun. She gets a bit flustered and tells him to leave. They argue a bit and he makes her understand that he wasn’t there as an extra for any performance of Marc Andre, but as a composer and musician Marc Andre was interested in.

In a dingy van, she drives him to the party and Kyuhyun is impressed that a Korean is working for a famous musician. He thinks people like her should be on t.v. – he’s proud of her work and of her nice body and pretty face. She jerks the car to the side…

“You’re shutting your mouth or I’ll leave you here” Seohyun annoyingly said and Kyuhyun immediately shut.

At the party, he wanders. Someone introduced Siwon to Marc Andre who isn’t really interested in the meeting and quickly leaves, humiliating Siwon.

Then Marc Andre spots Kyuhyun and takes out his frustrations.

Suddenly, Siwon surprisingly sees Kyuhyun so he immediately went towards him.

“Why is someone like you here embarrassing the nation? Someone like you can’t be here! In any case, he’s here for work. Not to steal wallets?” Siwon stated.

Before the fists start to fly, Seohyun, who pointedly ignored Siwon, came to fetch Kyuhyun because Marc Andre wants to see him. An extremely jealous and confused Siwon watches as Marc Andre greets Kyuhyun.

--

Yoona is working on some songs that needs to be rearranged for Taeyeon when Kyuhyun brought Seohyun to pick up samples of his work. He acted like the apartment is his shop and Yoona as his employee, which stunned Yoona. He showed off the newly composed song he made and also Yoona’s skills, working his newfound connection with the Seoul fashion biz as best as he can. Kyuhyun decided to bring some snacks for Seohyun so he immediately went out to buy some. Then Seohyun and Yoona were left alone together inside the apartment.

“Yoona-ssi, right? Well, regarding about work, you don’t have to worry about it anymore because of Seoul University.”Seohyun commented.

“Really? Thank you..” Yoona answered sheepishly.

“Anyway, are you lovers?” Seohyun asked talking about Kyuhyun and Yoona denied but Seohyun didn’t believe her.

Kyuhyun hustles back, sees Seohyun out and promises that he’ll buy Yoona lots of meat soon. Then he moons over Seohyun, breaking Yoona’s little heart.

--

Siwon jogs and reflects on all of the different encounters he has dad that involve Kyuhyun. He invited Seohyun to breakfast and told her that he wanted to start again with her because now he can protect her. She was skeptical and slided the envelope with the contract towards him with her answer to his proposition.

“But wait.. Why does Marc Andre know Cho Kyuhyun?” Siwon asked.

“Ask him personally.” Seohyun coldly answered.

--

Assistant Kim, sent by Siwon’s parents, meets Seohyun and offers her contracts in Italy if she would only stay away from Siwon. When Kim leaves, Seohyun shoves the papers onto the floor as her armor begins to crumble under the stress.

--

Madam Jung called Jessica who weasels an invitation to Yoona’s “home”. Yoona is no idiot and wouldn’t dare take the spawn of the devil incarnate to her real home, so she takes her to Taeyeon’s. The kooky lady plays along and bites her tongue as Jessica looks around, commenting that the apartment only looks big enough for one.

With a few final barbs, Jessica leaves, then gets caught by a testy Taeyeon listening in at the door. Taeyeon wonders and looks all gossipy while doing it, if Yoona likes Kyuhyun because of all the effort she’s putting into protecting him.

--

Dressed very nicely, Kyuhyun goes to a performance for Marc Andre. He treated Seohyun like a poo on his shoe, which makes Kyuhyun’s heart-full-of-puppy-love bleed for her.

Marc Andre spots Kyuhyun and declared a break. He apologizes about messing up. Marc Andre was impressed with Kyuhyun’s work and wants to buy his talent, earning him an adorably hot smile from Kyuhyun.