Chapter 4

Better than Good

 

chapter 4

 

 

After his meeting with Marc Andre, Kyuhyun was floating on clouds and literally runs into Seohyun. While helping her pick up some papers, he notices that she has been crying. He thanked her for her help, but she was lost in her misery of being cast aside for the unknown Kyuhyun.

--

At a meeting, the Korea presenter was dissing Le Muzika and the Jeju’s music industry’s attempts to break into the Seoul music market, so Siwon has them fired.

Siwon meets with a man from the Seoul consulate who hopes that Jeju’s Music Industry will soon have the same place in Seoul as its highly ranked electronics industry. But he’s really digging around for information about Cho Kyuhyun.

A bit surprised and taken aback, Siwon denies knowing him even when the consul points out that they attended the same high school. The consul received a phone call from Jeju regarding a student that Kyuhyun helped. He wanted to meet Siwon before speaking with her. After one last inquiry, the consul leaves and Siwon smiled painfully.

--

Yoona carefully makes her way home, wary of followers who could get Kyuhyun get back to Jeju. Turns out, she ain’t wary enough and the devil’s spawn Jessica has spotted her entering an apartment building different from the one Jessica had visited.

When Yoona opened the door, she is greeted by a grinning Kyuhyun and a candlelit steak dinner. He’d promised her meat every day after all.

Kyhyun playfully evades all of Yoona’s questions as they eat and take adorable photos of themselves. He explains that Marc Andre offered him two options: his have own music line or to meet a buyer. A buyer would allow Kyuhyun to sell his songs in a agencies, which is great, because it’s really difficult to get such spots in Jeju.

A knock on the door jars them out of their jolly mood. They still and Kyuhyun quietly checks the peep hole to see who it is.

It’s Siwon, which makes Kyuhyun scowl, yank the door open and trade words with Siwon who has come to see Yoona. He barges in, makes a snide remark about their small apartment and cuts to the chase,

“Are you in love with Kyuhyun or does he have dirt on you? Why are you putting everything you’ve worked for on the line for this jerk?” Siwon blurted out.

As he speaks, Kyuhyun tries to interject, but Siwon ignores him, speaking only to Yoona who is still as a board. Siwon wants Yoona to be considerate of his position since he helped her get into the school. He also thinks that Kyuhyun should just go back to Jeju and stop bothering someone who has a future.

 “Or, should I just call the your relatives to get you? You are way hiding too much Cho Kyuhyun! You need to help your family and continue your business in Jeju!” Siwon continued.

Kyuhyun curses at him and Siwon punches him in return.

On his way out the door. Siwon thanked Yoona, a parting shot at Kyuhyun. He leaves and passes two suspicious men climbing the stairs. They were Kyuhyun’s relatives and when Kyuhyun furiously yanks the door open to chase after the insufferable Siwon he is greeted by his aunt.

Kyuhyun got hauled out of their apartment and Siwon watches in confusion. When Kyuhyun sees Siwon, he lunges at him, thinking that Siwon called his relatives because of his earlier threat. He is forcibly dragged into the taxi and exchanges desperate glances with Yoona.

He was carted away with a helpless Siwon watching. He spots a suspicious figure in the crowd and recognizes it as Jessica who was currently smirking.

--

Seohyun shows up at Siwon’s home and they had some drink. She is quite pensive and admits that she came looking for him because she hoped he was still looking for a composer.

“When do you want to start working?” he asked.

“Do you still love me?”

That was the right question because he finishes his drink, sets down the glass and hugged her.

Before the moment can develop, Jessica appears and interrupts them by clearing . Siwon responds by peevishly telling her to find a hotel to stay in from now on.

“Who is she?” Seohyun asked.

“No one!” Siwon says.

Jessica didn’t thought of it as a funny answer so she screamed her frustration.

--

Assistant Kim drives Yoona back home and he’s nasty. He told her to stop bothering the director who only helped her because she is talented.

“This is also the last chance we’re giving you so you better not show up in front of Siwon again.” He continued.

He drives off and she enters the empty apartment and cries over the table set for two.

--

Siwon introduces Seohyun as the new composer at Le Muzika much to Assistant Kim and the board’s displeasure.

--

Seohyun composes for Le Muzika and prepares for a music show. So the show is underway and Siwon keeps watching Marc Andre for his reaction. A reporter interviews people with varied opinions, but Marc Andre says, “It was terrible.”

--

Kyuhyun is working on a destroyed piano when he gets a visitor – Sungmin, his “friend”. Sungmin offers to send men to Seoul to take care of Siwon, but isn’t really serious. He also warns that his boss, Kim Heecul, is waiting for him to come over. Young-gul wonders. Visiting time is over for Kyuhyun because he was grounded by his aunt because of running away from them and Sungmin mentions Yoona, which riles Kyuhyun up.

“It’s nothing, Fighting!” Sungmin replied.

--

Yoona is now back in Jeju. In a workshop, a manager is yelling at an ahjumma. Yoona works up some courage to ask him for her paycheck, which is late. The manager tells her that she’s too careful in her work and her output isn’t high enough so he fires her. He’ll have her check ready as soon as possible.

--

In the working room, Kyuhyun works on a destroyed guitar he has gotten from the sidestreet and remembers that Sungmin mentioned that Heechul is looking for Kyuhyun’s “girlfriend”. Kyuhyun was furious.

He carefully finishes the guitar and offers it to the other worker with a new baby. The worker liked it. Step one in winning someone’s favor.

--

In Seoul, Siwon broods over the horrible reviews of their music show. He visits Seohyun who apologizes to him and asks to be left alone. Instead, he invites her to move back to Jeju with him. He leaves and she watches him with conflicting emotions.

--

They climb on a plane. She’s nervous but rejects Siwon’s attempts to comfort her. That’s a solid way to re-start a relationship, she thought.

--

The worker with the newborn asks Kyuhyun to make a song from his phone that he got from the internet. Turns out the song is of Kyuhyun’s work that Marc Andre stole. But Kyuhyun doesn’t seem to realize it. He still thinks that Marc Andre is still going to buy his work after debuting it.

--

While waiting to be interviewed, Yoona watches the Marc Andre Music show and recognizes the song she helped work on. Marc Andre takes credit for it in an interview. But, Yoona gets rejected in her interviews because she doesn’t have enough education. They don’t even bother to look at her portfolio.

--

Siwon has given Seohyun a fancy new apartment. She thanks him for the gesture, even though it’s too much and he smiled. But when he turns, his face drops. He’s worried. And she can feel it. She asks if they are really starting over and he faces her with a fake smile.

“Of course.”

Again, when he turns away, he looks really unsure. But Seohyun wasn’t dumb, She can tell that he’s worried.

--

Madam Jung visits Siwon’s mother, the president of a mall, and mentions that a luxury shop is moving next door and Madam Jung does not like that. With a sugar-sweet smile, she mentions that Seohyun is back in Jeju. The president is angry but Madam Jung has the upper hand and knows it.

She calls someone and yells at him for not solving the problem with Seohyun.

--

Fresh from the shower, Seohyun sees the same news report as Yoona but doesn’t seem surprised that Marc Andre stole Kyuhyun’s ideas. The door beeps and she goes to greet Siwon – but it’s his mother. They trade venomous glances and sit on the sofa as far away from each other as possible.

Siwon’s mom starts in on the threats, but Seohyun holds her ground. She even picks up the phone and calls security,

“There’s a strange person disturbing me.” She called.

Of course, Siwon’s mom is furious but Seohyun smirks and asks her how she likes being treated that way.

“You made a mistake today,” Siown’s mom threatens before going.

As soon as the door shuts, Seohyun’s brave face cracks. Her breathing becomes heavy as tears fall and she takes some pills.

--

Siwon is meeting with his father, who is not happy that Siwon wasted money on a failed show.

“Is the friend you brought back the friend from that time? Are you personally attached to her? How much money did you waste?” his father scolded.

When Siwon replies, his father brutally beats him, ordering him not to make a mistake using his money again.

On his way out of the office, Siwon passes Director Hwang Tiffany as he straightens up his collar and wipes off the blood. He only gives the director a passing acknowledgement who responds with a smirk and, “I sent you there to learn, but you’re still arrogant.” With venom in his gaze, Siwon apologizes for disappointing him.

He heads into his office and furiously throws his nameplate on the floor.

He receives a call and hurries to Seohyun’s apartment. She’s lying on the floor, depressed and looks a bit drugged out. He pulls her into his arms and she sobs into his shoulder. The poor thing doesn’t think she can do it and wants to go back. All Siwon can do is hold her.

In their house, Kyuhyun is meditating. Then, he finds out that his aunt already forgave him and is now free. At the entrance, he is met by Sungmin holding some tofu and cronies. Kyuhyun only manages a bite of the tofu before he is seized by the cronies to go see the boss.

Sungmin even tries to explain himself, “Friendship is friendship. Work is work.” He betrayed Kyuhyun.

“Sungmin, I thought you will send men after Siwon? Why?” Kyuhyun wondered.

“Siwon is back in Jeju.” He answered.

The car stops at a red light and Kyuhyun seizes the opportunity and bolts.

--

In a nice bit of product placement, Siwon has a security system set up in Seohyun’s apartment so his mother can’t invade. They couple stares out the window as she leans her head on his shoulder.

Siwon drives Seohyun to work and she softly apologizes to him, which makes him smile. Then, she sits quietly while listening to him discuss business.

--

Assistant Kim shows Seohyun her new office where there are neon green chairs. Turns out Siwon organized and decorated the whole thing himself.

Director Hwang Tiffany shows up, smug-as-you-please. Shee would’ve fired her for the failure that she had in Seoul and marvels at her audacity in returning to Le Muzika – Jeju. When she asks if she’s in a relationship with Siwon, she asks her to focus on work matters.

Then the director reveals why she is so antagonistic towards her. She toiled hard to get to Seoul and ended up working for Marc Andre, right? With a look of pure malice, he reminds her that she is the “seller”, even if other people don’t know.

Siwon has rented out a theater in his mother’s mall and is brooding while a classic plays on screen. Kyuhyun materializes and pokes fun of Siwon’s money. The movie is stopped and Kyuhyun demands an apology. When Siwon refuses, he gets punched.

After everything that has happened, Siwon is ready for a fight so he takes off his jacket and proceeds to beat Kyuhyun to a pulp with some pretty sweet moves. While they’re fighting, Kyuhyun accuses Siwon of reporting him to his relatives.

The fight ends when Siwon throws Kyuhyun over his shoulder and pins him to the ground with his knee – by Kyuhyun’s throat. Siwon looks absolutely savage as he orders Kyuhyun never to appear before him again, or he’ll kill him. But Kyuhyun is a street kid and pretty darn tenacious.

 “I’ll buy a theater bigger than this one and watch on it!” Kyuhyun declared then let go of an evil smirk.

--

Another turn of rotten luck, Yoona gets locked out of her apartment because she can’t pay rent. Outside, she trips and everything falls to the ground, including her tears. She picks herself up and trudges down the street where she sees a help-wanted sign for the work she has been with Kyuhyun.

She hurries over to that place where there are new employees and a new president. When the new president figures out that she was the female employee who “helped” Kyuhyun out, he starts pulling her hair and yelling at her. It’s their fault that he and the shop suffered.

Kyuhyun is meandering the streets and sees a commotion at his former work. Kyuhyun hides while the employees are dumping Yoona’s things out of their bags. They all started yanking at Yoona.

Kyuhyun sneaks a peek into the fray and is shocked to see a mob of angry seamstresses Yoona. He stands around like a bozo, trying to figure out whether or not he should help. But a team of Heechul’s goons spur him into making a decision – run away.

The guilt tears at him as his rides a bus away from the woman he should be helping. At the next stop, however, he gets off and…