Chapter 5

Better than Good

chapter 5

 

 

After Kyuhyun leaves Yoona to the violent mob, his conscience threatens him with torture and death. So Kyuhyun hurries back to the shop but he is too late. Only her luggage was left. Kyuhyun is finally learning to fight for something, but too bad Yoona had to pay the price for it.

--

At Jung’s Music School, Madam Jung reminds Sooyoung, her new assistant, about the magazine interview and then is greeted by the beaten Yoona.

“Are you beaten up?” Madam Jung stupidly asks with disgusted face.

“Why yes. Yes, I am.” Yoona answered fiercely.

Madam Jung blamed Yoona’s failures at the Seoul University. But Yoona is quite ballsy. She asks to stay at the house as she once had – that or, if Madam Jung hates her that much, just some money will do.

“I know why I have stoop this low. Isn’t it because of you?” Yoona told Madam Jung but she just claims ignorance.

When Yoona realizes she’s getting no money out of her heartless former guardian, she decides to stay despite Madam Jung’s threats to call the police.

“Oh, that will be wonderful to report during the magazine interview tomorrow!” Yoona retaliates.

Yoona heads up to her old room and throws together a make-shift bed. Gathering a comforter around her, she finally has a chance to look into the mirror. The face that stares back at her is pathetic: covered in blood, tired eyes, and dirt-covered cheeks. Tears cut small rivulets in the grime on her face as she cries out her misery.

--

Kyuhyun was at his uncle’s house and he’s nagging him about never contributing to the household and yet he comes to leech off him. He jabbers on how about he is embarrassing for quitting school and pursuing music.

“That’s why your mother left, you should’ve gone to find her when you were in Seoul.” His uncle blurted out.

“You let my sister die because you never took her to the hospital!” He cries.

“Your family imposed on me and it was all I could do to survive, much less take care of someone else’s sick kid. And what did you do? You went off to make money and never came back. If you were worried for your sister, you should’ve come back earlier.” Kyuhyun was hurt. He slaps an envelope of money down and leaves.

Outside, he hears his little sister call “oppa”. He turns and sees a vision of his sick sibling calling to him, telling him to make money and come back. Kyuhyun looks an absolute wreck.

Kyuhyun puts himself together and goes to meet a friend. His friend informs him that the loan sharks are searching for him but Kyuhyun is more concerned with the fact that that friend of him watched his female employee get beat up and didn’t do anything about it.

“Well, you didn’t either, you jerk!” his friend replied.

Kyuhyun decides to face the music, borrows his friend’s phone and calls Sungmin.

Time to see Kim Heechul!

--

In her old workspace, a cold and hurting Yoona composes a song in her old piano and drinks soju to warm herself and probably numb the physical and emotional pain.

--

At Siwon’s very white, sunlit office, he peruses Seohyun’s sketches for a song and doesn’t look impressed. Before he can give her his opinion, Yoona calls, hoping to meet him. At first he thinks it’s to talk about the fact that she got kicked out of school, but she assures him it’s about something she prepared. He told her that he was busy. So Yoona asked if she can she have his e-mail so he told her that he’ll just contact her when he has time so she hangs up. He glances at the phone in shock and then smiles. Seohyun, however, doesn’t like him smiling on the phone with another woman.

Seohyun asks Siwon if she should redo her works but he just gave her an indefinite answer. She declares she’ll do it again and stalks away. Suddenly, Siwon has some time so he calls Yoona for a meeting that night.

--

The magazine interview at Jung Music School is underway and Miss Jung is bragging about how music is in the family; her daughter is at Seoul University. Then Yoona, interrupts the interview to ask Miss Jung for some money for transportation. Somehow Miss Jung manages not to spit fire and hand Yoona money that she asked for.

--

Kyuhyun goes rolling away in a swivel chair only to be wheeled back to Heechul for some more facial abuse. Kim Heechul is finally getting his revenge for Kyuhyun stealing and sleeping with his woman. He squeals for mercy then gets punched, and rolls away…and gets rolled right back!

--

Siwon is walking into a fancy bar and checks his appearance with a smile.

--

Since Kyuhyun is in a great disadvantage now, he gets the song that he composed for the world famous pianist, Marc Andre from her pocket. He desperately explains to Heechul that the music industry makes lots of money; millions. Heechul is understandably skeptical until Kyuhyun declares Siwon to be his best friend.

“If you let me go, I will come up with a plan to make you have lots of money in the music industry.” He muttered.

So Heechul decided to let him go. In the bathroom, Kyuhyun enlightens dumb Sungmin to the fact that he doesn’t really have a plan. And when Kyuhyun was about to leave, Sungmin had his cronies find Yoona and her contact number.

--

Siwon and Yoona’s meeting continues. He asks after her well-being and she avoids the hidden question: What happened to your face? She wants to thank him for all his help, but he told her that he doesn’t need those kind of thanks.

When asked what she wants to show up, she rises and went directly to the restaurant’s piano and started playing the song she composed last night then smiled hopefully. Siwon has to scrape his jaw off the ground because of embarrassment.

“Do you want me to do it again?” she asked after going back to their table but Siwon already refuses.

Yoona explains that she didn’t have much time to work with and when she has better instruments the styles will be different. Unfortunately, she told him that that is all she can show him today because she has to pay back a debt first. Her luggage is being held as collateral so she shyly asks if he could lent her money or pay for samples in advance.

A waitress comes with drinks and Yoona throws one back. The drink’s strength makes her cough and Siwon is amused.

“How much money do you need?”

Yoona walks him to his car and thanks him, but he tells her to get in. On the way back to the school, he questions why she has to stay there.

“Is there no where else she can go? And why are your luggage in Kyuhyun’s former workplace?” he questioned.

But Yoona was speechless. Siwon isn’t pleased by her answers.

--

Outside in the rain., Kyuhyun is walking to Jung Boutique to see Yoona when Siwon’s car splashes him.

The car stops and Yoona gets out. Kyuhyun’s face lights up when he sees her. But then Siwon gets out of the car and offers her an umbrella.

Madam Jung sees Siwon hand Yoona the umbrella. While Kyuhyun doesn’t seem too happy to see them together either. On Siwon’s way home, he finds Yoona’s purse with just a couple of money.

--

Upstairs, Madam Jung confront Yoona about being with Choi Siwon, but the young woman is evasive. To retaliate, Madam Jung get the composition she wrote the night before, claiming that she owns them. Also, she wants the change from the money she lent Yoona for transportation, since she got a ride home from Siwon.

Kyuhyun shows up, bloody and wet, asking how much money is owed. Both women are shocked as Kyuhyun pulls out a wad of cash and throws it at Madam Jung’s feet.

“Is this enough?” he asked furiously.

He asks if Yoona is going to keep staying there and she’s says “no”. He offers her his hand and she takes it. Madam Jung is so shocked that she drops the paper that Yoona handed as it was the song she made last night as Kyuhyun, with a pointed look at her, leads poor Yoona away.

--

On the bus, Kyuhyun begins to ramble to assuage his guilt. He heard she got beat up. She probably thinks it’s because of him.

“I don’t!” Yoona replied

“Why were you lurking at the factory? To make me feel guilty for getting you kicked out?” Kyuhyun blurted out and she suddenly burst in tears.

Why did she take responsibility for his factory? Is she dating Jae-hyuk? Why is she trying to get orders from Jae-hyuk? Is she the boss? Should he be thankful?

He keeps ranting at her, but the guilt he feels is finally starting to make him realize he needs to start taking responsibility for his actions and for what’s happening to her. He pulls out the couple thousand won he has left and again realizes that that’s the last money he have.

--

Using some skills, Kyuhyun picks the lock to their former workplace and they go inside to get her luggage and for him to get a change of clothes. He also picks up his notebook of transactions from a dusty, messy office. When he comes out, Yoona is changing so he quickly turns, but something catches his eye besides her changing. It’s a bottle of soju and the polaroids they took in New York when he promised her meat every day and a better life. The guilt eats at him and he snaps at her.

Why does she still have crap like that?

--

Kyuhyun seeks out his friend and tells Yoona to watch the savvy businessman work because music isn’t just about lyrics. It’s about composing things that the consumer wants to buy. His friend stands there stunned as Kyuhyun consults his book of transactions and hurries off to collect some money.

--

At Le Muzika, Director Hwang is putting the heat on Seohyun.

“She came from a hot shot music agency so she you be feeling pressure.” Director Hwang muttered.

“I’m okay. I should just relax.” She answered.

To make matters worse, President Choi shows up and takes her to dinner, questioning her about her family background. Divorced parents who she doesn’t speak to. Married sister. Grandma who raised her is dead.

“And why did you follow Siwon here when you had such a good gig with Marc Andre?” President Choi questioned.

“I love him..” she replied. Which made President Choi laugh heartily.

--

Madam Jung takes apart Yoona’s song and throws it away. Siwon comes looking for Yoona, which pisses Madam Jung off. She invited Siwon to sit first but he spies the exact paper containing Yoona’s newly-composed song in the trash. Madam Jung tells him about a bloody beggar grabbing Yoona’s hand, her calling him “president” and whisking her away.

“Is she a e? After raising her like my own daughter, I can’t believe it” she muttered.

Siwon sits absolutely stunned and quickly begs his leave. He goes home and her mother is there reading the bible and ready to pounce on him about Seohyun. He ignores her and turns on the television as she demands to know why he did all those things for Seohyun.

“Don’t embarrass me!” he tells her.

But her mom thinks she can do whatever she wants because she’s his mother. What is there that she can’t do anyway.

However, Siwon threatens to register marriage with Seohyun. He’s her son, what is there that he can’t do? Then smirked.

The maid brings a fancy medicine, which Siwon gulps down to shut her up. She tries to be a mom by telling him to take his medicine and not to skip breakfast, but his heart is unmoved. When she leaves, he checks his phone and sees Seohyun called a load of times. So he tried to call but he can’t reach her.

--

Kyuhyun tries to apply for a business loan but is told he doesn’t qualify because he doesn’t have a guarantee. He was absolutely dejected. He heads back to his friend’s shop and counts the money he collected, but it isn’t nearly enough for start-up capital. Kyuhyun asks him for the loan but he is distracted by a beautiful woman peruses the racks.

Kyuhyun stands to take a peek and recognizes Seohyun. It takes her a minute, but she recognizes him as well, which shocks the hell out of Yesung, his friend. And then….Seohyun smiles.

Yoona is hauling a heavy garbage bag full of papers up the stairs when she sees Kyuhyun taking Seohyun out.

--

Kyuhyun takes Seohyun out for a drink and some snacks and starts questioning her about money. How much will he get paid for having his song in Marc Andre’s show? How much does Marc Andre make? How can he contact him? Seohyun offers her help and Kyuhyun is thrilled. He thinks it was a miracle that they met in Jeju of all places. They cheers and Kyuhyun makes the most adorable drinking face.

Seohyun thinks that although he has too much interest in money, it’s refreshing that Kyuhyun is so open about his interest. Obviously, this is a masked jab at the very reserved Siwon. She even calls him cute, which makes Kyuhyun all smile-y and even more cute. They also discover they’re the same age.

A few hours later, and very drunk, Seohyun tells Kyuhyun she envies him. Marc Andre acknowledged his talent right away and never looked at her once despite all of her work.

He watches her, love struck, and tells her she’s very attractive, which makes her light up. I think she likes a man actually taking interest in her. He giggles like a girl and then her head hits the table.

Kyuhyun gave a piggy-back to Seohyun, a drunk carrying a drunk. At first he can’t figure out her lock, but manages and hauls her inside to her bedroom.

Kyuhyun sweetly takes off her shoes and watches her sleep. A tear slips down her cheek and he watches her quietly before leaving. He smiles at her shoes and when he glances up, there’s Choi Siwon!

“You! What are you doing here?”