Chapter 1

Better than Good

 

Chapter 1

 

 

“Beautiful! Bravo! Bravo!”

Kyuhyun kept on complementing the person playing the piano in an orchestra. It was really a press conference for the showcase of the new product of a major producer of musical instruments in Korea, “Le Muzika”. After he recorded some of the notes he heard from the performance, he then started to draw the newly-endorsed company product, the piano, which is generally being adorable. He then faxes his notes back to the shop where he has been working as the officer-in-charge because his boss was away while the other workers started cracking on replicas.

 

---

 

“Who is she?”

“Is she a professional pianist, already?”

The acceptance committee of Seoul University Major in Music, questioned as they heard the piece submitted by a provincial student. At first, they never thought that it was a girl who is in her early 20s who created the piece especially from the countryside. When the speaker introduced already it was then known that she was from Jeju island.

“Im Yoona!”

 

---

 

Yoona is playing the piano at the school she’s been working at. The school wasn’t that big but really spacious because of the design and it was just enough for 10 students in a class also, it was located together with their house.

There has been a mini-gathering for the parents and students of the class and Yoona was assigned to play for the mini-show amongst a gaggle of people.

“Yoona, you have a break first!” Jung Jessica ordered.

“Neh! Thank you Jessica!” Yoona answered.

 When she was given a chance to have a break, she peered out the window and spots a mailman speeding away. She raced down the stairs but unfortunately, she saw nothing from their mail holder.

Right then, a rather snooty-looking woman is opening the mail, Madam Jung, and immediately spots Yoona’s letter among the other mails. She gazed evilly at the letter.

“Madam!” Yoona called still panting from running earlier.

Madam Jung then hides the letter quickly when Yoona came in and replied expressionlessly when Yoona inquires about the mail.

“Madam, is there possibly a mail for me? I just saw the mailman sped away and I wasn’t able to have a look among the mails if I have one.” Yoona explained.

“There’s none.” She replied coolly.

Actually, she is waiting for the letter from the Seoul University she has applied to, the week before. And she has been worrying if Madam Jung would allow her to go there because she is the only one working for the Music school Jung Family has.

“Actually, I applied for a scholarship in Seoul University and I was waiting for a letter from them these days. Is there possibly…”

“I said there’s none Im Yoona!”

The admission incites Madam Jung who thinks Yoona is just running away from her parents debts to her and that she kept her application a secret. She then thought that if she let Yoona go there, there’d be no one working for her school unpayable and she knows that Yoona would just ask money from her.

“Why are you still here? Go! Go! You still have your job upstairs!” She rudely ordered.

And Yoona just nodded as her answer and when she left, Madam Jung ripped up the letter.

 

---

 

“Bye Jess!” Sulli, one of Jessica’s friends, waved Goodbye.

Right after Jessica was brought home by her friends, she immediately went inside their house but still in dizzy condition because the influence of alcohol was still with her. She then forgot to close their door leaving it widely opened.

Meanwhile, unsuspecting Yoona is sleeping on her desk after a long day. Some passersby started to question the widely opened door of the Jung family. And when it was really late that night, group of 6 guys went inside the house. The saunters started to check everything inside the school which was in the first floor of their house and some valuable and expensive materials were robbed.

The noises from the guys started to awaken Yoona so she bravely went downstairs to check if her suspicions were true.

“What are you doing!!” Yoona loudly shouted.

The guys were all surprised and one of them immediately grabbed her and covered her face to prevent her from breaking noise but many people heard her shriek. Madam Jung was awakened as well as the neighboring houses. But unfortunately, they found no one. All the robbers have sped away already and with them are the robbed things from Madam Jung’s school. Yoona was placed in a couch, she was still traumatized with what just happened and was still weak.

Madam Jung showed up, “Im Yoona! You were the one who left the door open right? And why did you let them ran away! You don’t know how precious the things they got!”

Madam Jung was really pissed and she immediately slapped Yoona across the face and accused her for not being careful inside their house and let their door wide opened and for not being able to stop the bad guys. And she thought that it was Yoona’s revenge for refusing to let her go in Seoul University.

“But Madam, Yoona was innocent! She was just…” Sooyoung, a friend of Yoona who is their neighbor, tried to defend her.

“Stop it Sooyoung! If you don’t want to be involved with this!” Miss Jung reprimanded.

“But.. I am not the one who did everything! I was just…” Yoona denied but Madam Jung didn’t let her speak out anymore.

“I said stop! I don’t believe in your words anymore, Yoona! After all I have given you, you are paying me off like this? I fed you, clothed you and even sent you to school! I can’t believe it! You… You get out now! I guess I have done enough! If you want to go to Seoul to avoid me and your debts! Then go! I won’t reprimand you anymore! Now bring your things with you and don’t ever step inside this house again! You understand?” Madam Jung shouted.

“But Madam, Yoona has nowhere else to go! She might…” Sooyoung tried to convince her but Madam Jung intruded again.

“You heard me Yoona! Get out! Now!” Madam Jung shouted with all her might.

Yoona agreed to leave, but she thought that she deserves to have a part of the business so she started to argue with Madam Jung.

“Before I leave, I think I deserve some part of this business since my parents started it…” Yoona stated.

Madam Jung was shocked and replied, “Neh? Afer all the things I did to you? Besides you still have some debts to pay! I should’ve just reported you to the the police for arson!”

Yoona wandered around Jeju and ended up in a small house. She felt really tired so she tried to knock on a door to see if there are some people inside that house to help her. Luckily, a buxom woman went out from the door.

“Oh! Annyeong hasseyo. Can I possibly stay here in your house for just one night? I just feel tired and…” Yoona wasn’t able to continue her words anymore. Her sight started to turn into black and there, she collapsed.

The lady was really surprised after seeing her fall into her feet. She then brought Yoona inside their house and let her rest there.

A day has passed and Yoona awakened already. She was surprised after seeing the unfamiliar place she is staying right now. She tried to wander around the house and there found a door. Because she wants to meet the people who cared for her last night, she tried to see if there is someone inside that room and luckily, she found one. At that moment, a guy is taking a nap with his shoes still on and snoring up a storm. Quite puzzled, Yoona stared at him until a phone call wakes him up.

“Hello?” The guy spoke, still half-asleep.

The guy suddenly became very alert and quickly assured something, “Neh! I will, Boss!”

He hangs up and finally registers that Yoona is there.

“Who are you? And what are you doing here inside my room?” he asked.

“I’m sorry. I was just looking for the lady who helped me last night to thank her but then I found you.” Yoona explained.

“So you’re the girl who my aunt helped! She’s right there, in the kitchen!” he said and pointed where the kitchen was.

Yoona then headed to the kitchen.

“Annyeong hasseyo!” Yoona greeted.

“Oh? You’re already awake? How do you feel? You feel okay now?” she asked.

“Neh! I’m very fine now. Ahm… I’m sorry for asking this to you, but do you know some jobs you can offer to me, ma’am? You see… I was kicked out in our house and I don’t have anywhere to go to, so I need a job that also offers room.” Yoona asked.

“Don’t worry, my son works on a small business and he can offer a job for you. Do you know how to play instruments? And as for the room, you can just stay here.” the lady asked. Actually, she called him his son already because since he was a child, she was the one who was with him.

“Neh! I can do it ma’am! Thank you very much!” Yoona was excited after hearing what the lady said. She felt really lucky after being in the same job as the former one and having a home now.

Suddenly the guy came out from his room already and the lady called her out, “Kyuhyun-ah! You have some empty slots in your work, right? She said she can play instruments…”

“What’s her name?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Yoona, Im Yoona!” she answered.

“Then, you’re in. Come with me and you will now start your work!” he bayed.

While on their way, Yoona was curious about the salary she can get because she needed to know it so she can prepare to go to Seoul already.

“Ahmm.. Kyuhyun-ssi, I’m sorry for asking this but how much salary can I get?” She asked awkwardly.

“Of course, if you do well then you will get good one but if you don’t, probably you’ll be payed less.” Kyuhyun wasn’t much interested with her questions so he just gave her perfunctory answers.

After arriving to the shop, Kyuhyun introduced her to the workers that work there as fixer of the broken instruments and Yoona immediately went to the place she was told to work on.

She was in the testing region. All the instruments that have been made are given to Yoona for her to test and because a piano is given to her, right after she tested the instrument, she couldn’t reprimand herself and she quickly played the piano. The workers who were working right at that time were really impressed so they immediately encircled around Yoona and was really captivated by the music. When Kyuhyun came out of his room in the shop, he was immediately impressed, too

 

---

 

Kyuhyun headed out to a videoke bar and met some friends of him.

Kyuhyun asked them all to leave but there is one who pointedly ignored him. He is Lee Sungmin, Kyuhyun’s friend and a lackey of loan shark Kim Heechul. Kyuhyun is annoyed that Heechul called and then appalled that he has the gall to ask for a loan.

Sungmin wanted to cut his friendship with Kyuhyun because he has suffered a huge pay cut and no promotions for three years because he vouched for Kyuhyun’s character to Kim Heechul.

“But you are my friend right? You can’t just leave me…” Kyuhyun tried his best to still be friends with Sungmin so he still has someone to borrow money from.

“But you haven’t paid your debts to my boss Heechul yet! And he always tell me that I should’ve been removed from my job because I introduced you to him!” Sungmin clarified.

“But I need you now my friend! I don’t have money!!!” Kyuhyun moaned.

Sungmin shoots him a sidelong glance. “What about Jung Choi Siwon?”

 

---

 

Well, he’s sitting in a chair, pretty-as-you-please, watching a pianist playing beautifully for him but he’s with a sourpuss expression on his face. He wasn’t impressed.

Choi Siwon stops the show and everyone from the studio was shocked, including the beautiful and influential woman, who was the director, Tiffany Hwang.

“Excuse me, Mr. Choi Siwon! I think you’re on the wrong path. This wonderful piece has been made to create for me for two years. And I think you don’t have the right to reject it!” she argued.

“I didn’t see it as wonderful Ms. Hwang. I’m sorry! Well, if you want to continue the business deal with my family, please do it again.” He coldly stated and exits from the studio. He wonderfully did a high-class strut leaving Director Hwang fuming.

Assistant Kim Ryeowook, Siwon’s lackey, thinks that the president, his dad, wouldn’t be happy about the decision Siwon had. He told him that his dad spent a lot of effort scouting her. But Siwon didn’t care at all.

After arriving to his office, Siwon finds a guy waiting for him.

“Yah! Siwon-ah! You’ve grown a lot!” Kyuhyun stated.

“Who are you?” Siwon said then gave him a cold glare.

“You don’t remember me? Kyuhyun! Mighty Kyuhyun! Aish.. You’re quite disappointing me huh!” He introduced.

“Kyuhyun? I don’t remember anyone at all.” He replied.

Kyuhyun then gave up on introducing himself so he just said what his purpose were.

“Actually, I can here to borrow…” Kyuhyun wasn’t able to continue his words when suddenly Siwon barge in.

“I know you’ll ask for money! I’m sorry but I can’t lend you! You can now go!” Siwon coldly stated and without much ado, his assistant Ryeowook, immediately came in and made Kyuhyun leave.

When Kyuhyun was already outside, he stated persistently and with much seriousness on his face, “I will make this company mine!”

 

---

 

Kyuhyun already went back to their house and immediately strips his shirt. Then he chugs a beer to dull his anger. He was about to sit on his bed when suddenly Yoona came in. They both scare each other and demanded why the other was there.

“Yah! Why are you here? Why are you topless? Aigoo…” Yoona shouted as she covered her eyes with her palms.

While Kyuhyun, on the other side, covered his body with his bare hands. “Y-yah! I should be the one asking you that question? Why are you here in my room?”

“Mrs. Kim told me that I will be sleeping in this room so I came in.” she reasoned out.

Kyuhyun doesn’t want to argue anymore at that time so he just let her sleep on his bed.

 

---

 

A phone call suddenly awakened Madam Jung.

It was the policemen who were calling and stated that her daughter was seen coming in from their house and was found the one that forgot to have the door closed so that was where the burglars came in.

So off she goes to scold her daughter Jessica who was still in deep sleep in her room. But because of being a spoiled brat, she was easily forgiven and as if nothing has happened.

 

---

 

More customers were coming in and out from where Kyuhyun and Yoona were working at. They said that they were really satisfied with the instruments they are offering nowadays and also for the extra entertainment they are able to watch when Yoona is playing for them.

Everything was a success for Kyuhyun. He brought his earned money to loan shark Kim Heechul who es about people who don’t pay back their loans.

 

---

 

Work for the day is over and Yoona decided to go back to Madam Jung’s house. She tried her best to fit her hands in the mail holder. She is trying to check if there are still some mails for her. She then touches something and she immediately grabbed it. She saw that it was for her so she quickly opened the letter and to her surprise, it was a mail from the Seoul University saying that she’s accepted from the Arts Program she has applied to then her eyes started to brim with tears.

At that moment, Kyuhyun suddenly saw her and immediately went towards her. Yoona who was still surprise with what she just saw, was shocked after seeing Kyuhyun.

“Kyuhyun-ssi? What are you doing here?” Yoona asked in a very soft voice.

“Why are you whispering?” he asked, too.

“Ssshh…” Yoona said then grabbed Kyuhyun to a more distant place from the house so Madam Jung wouldn’t see her.

“Yah! Why are you grabbing my shirt!” He exclaimed after arriving to a safer place.

“I’m sorry. So why are you here?” Yoona questioned.

“I just happened to meet some customers near here so I went in this direction.” He explained.

“Is that so? Then are you on your way home already?” Yoona asked.

“Neh! I’m a bit tired today so let’s hurry and you walk fastly, okay?” he stated then they walked home together.

After arriving, Yoona immediately went to sleep while Kyuhyun had his dinner first. When he was about to go to the kitchen, he saw the letter Yoona was holding earlier so he became curious and immediately opened it. It says that she has been accepted on full scholarship. After reading the whole letter, he then suddenly remembered something from Yoona’s name.

Flashback.

“Yah oppa! I’m right here!” The girl shouted

“You’re really good in hiding, huh.” The boys said.

“Well, she’s pretty talented in that field... keke~” The other boy complimented.

“Omo! My ring… My ring is lost!” The girl blurted out.

Then, they started looking for the ring everywhere. Right then, the other boy went to the direction of the two and performed a magic trick and revealed the necklace he found.

“I’m great, right Yoona?” he muttered.

End.

Kyuhyun is now the same ring, which is now hanging around his neck.

 

---

 

Cho JungWon, Siwon’s father right then decided to make his son study more for how he treated the Director Tiffany Hwang. Director Hwang then enters and JungWon forces his Sson to apologize and informs Director Hwang that Siwon will be studying more as she suggested.

“Good to know that. I know he’s not ready yet for things like this.” Director Tiffany muttered.

“N-neh! I’m very sorry.” Siwon said sarcastically but tried his best that it won’ be shown

 

---

 

Yoona and Kyuhyun were walking back home from work. They weren’t talking with each other much when Kyuhyun suddenly handed something out to Yoona.

“What is this boss?” Yoona questioned then carefully opened the envelope.

“It isn’t much but enough for you to go to Seoul. I researched for the school, and apparently, it’s good. If you got a scholarship, you should go. By the way it’s a loan and you better pay me back.” Kyuhyun muttered, without facing Yoona.

“Really? Thank you very much Kyuhyun-ssi!” Yoona thanked.

Actually, Kyuhyun got the cash from loanshark Kim Heechul again. Because of his clean records, he was able to borrow money again.

 

---

 

Yoona is now wandering happily around Seoul. It’s her first time to go there and she was really fascinated.

Right then, she mutteres with much seriousness in her tone of voice, “Seoul University, here I come!”

 


 

Yeah! i updated. I'm really sorry if it took me so long to have the first chapter. actually, I haven't reviewed it that's why I decided to hide it first here in AFF. and truthfully, , , I really haven't reviewed it yet because I don't have any time nowadays. I'm really sorry guys. But i will try my best to update my fics regularly.

Also, do you think my fic has some sort of resemblance to something? well, if so, you're right. because this fic will be somehow related to fashion king so I'm looking forward that you will anticipate this fic.

Thank you for waiting everyone!