Unreadable

Secrets

 

             Twenty four . . .

            Twenty five . . .

            Twenty six . . .

            Luhan counted tensely, distressing over the height of the building in front of him. It’s almost reaching the tallness of the vast light blue sky. Almost. Okay, maybe he’s exaggerating, but it doesn’t change the fact that it is a million times taller than he is, and just the sight of it makes his heart beat ten times faster than what’s considerably healthy.

            He gulped. Gravity has never been his friend, which is why being too far from the ground makes him shiver like a fish taken out of the water. His façade may express tranquillity but his brain is racing with unwanted and irrational images of dread and terror, as he examines the building that will now be their home. He felt cold shivers through his spine with just the thought of it.

            “You look constipated, it’s ugly.” Luhan didn’t need another second to know who the sudden gigantic presence behind him was. He continued peering at the building, recounting its storey once again, this time starting from the top to the bottom.

            “Well, have you seen your face, Wu Fan?

            “Yes, it’s better than your normal face, Bambi.”

            Luhan tears his eyes away from the building for the first time since they got there, to shoot a glare at the lanky male behind him. Kris knows well enough how Luhan hates nauseatingly cutesy nicknames. But then again, Luhan also knows how much Kris hates his real name – because it apparently sounds like a noodle bar that you’ll find in a dark abandoned street in China Town. Luhan didn’t get it. Kris’ logic can sometimes match that of a five year old; that’s what Luhan thinks at least.

            The roaring sound of a car’s engine disrupts the two from their banter, as they both turned their head to the source of the noise. The black Nissan quest that they previously rode from their apartment to their current location finally arrived carrying the four remaining members – Jongin, Sehun, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol.

            The four stepped out of the van one by one, but who Luhan really anticipates to see is Jongin. After their friendly bond yesterday, Luhan had no doubt that they were at least, close – if not there yet – to the friend level.

            When Luhan spotted Jongin, he smiled toothily and waved at him frantically expecting to receive the same degree of warmth. But as soon as their eyes met, Luhan’s actions halted. Jongin looked at him with a blank expression, and Luhan stared into those dark brown eyes looking for some dash of acknowledgement – but there was none. Now, he started doubting everything he didn’t doubt moments ago.

            Jongin turned away to greet the other members as if he didn’t see Luhan. It made the older male feel rather invisible, rejected even, just because a certain Jongin didn’t seem to care about his existence.

            They are back to square one. To strangers.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------          

 

            Luhan sat crossed leg on the soft squishy red bean bag that contrasts the ashen shade of his face as if his blood has been drained out of his system. He was sitting opposite to the window that overlooks the city, or as Luhan describes- the window of his death, as it reminds him of how high up they are: 22nd floor. As long as he’s away from the balcony or the windows, he probably will manage to live here. Probably.

            From his seat, he could see what everybody is doing. In the modern designed open plan kitchen, Kris and Junmyeon are making drinks while Kyungsoo prepares some snacks. The rest are in the living room, including Luhan, some sprawled lazily on the cream carpeted floor while some sat comfortably on the couch. They are laughing at some joke Chanyeol cracked that Luhan failed to hear. He was too immersed with his own thought that he couldn’t bring himself to even fake a laugh.

            He looked around the room, analysing each of the members in front of him. It makes him wonder what kind of lives they have when they aren’t trainees. Surely, each one of them has some sort of story to tell.

            Everybody have secrets.

            But he wonders if theirs is as heavy as his. Probably not.

            Then his eyes landed on Jongin: the boy he can’t read. He wonders what kind of secrets Jongin have buried in the deep end of his soul, whether they are as intense as his own, or whether or not Luhan will ever find out about them.

            He sighs.

            “Here – to put some colour back in your face,” Kris gestures Luhan to make space for him to sit on as handed the shorter male a hot chocolate drink. “People might think I’ve been torturing you or something.”

            “Well, if they did think that, then they couldn’t be any more correct.” Luhan peeved.

            “Okay, nevermind, I’ll take that back – “ Kris stretched his arm to snatch the cup out of Luhan’s grip, but the shorter male was quick enough to claim it back, “I was joking, fool!” Luhan laughed as he sipped the hot chocolate, before Kris can attempt to take it again.

            "I knew I should have put some sort of poison in there," Kris hissed jokingly making Luhan almost choke back the drink he just swollowed.

            "See what I mean by torture?" Luhan said, elbowing Kris on the stomach playfully.

            "No, it's not torture, it's instant death." Kris corrected in a matter-of-factly tone, making Luhan shake his head in disbelief.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

.  .  .

The new apartment is really nice and spacious – well that’s if you take out the 11 boys that makes it seem like a carnival. The other unlikable thing about it is that it’s in the freakin 22nd floor! You know how I hate the heights now. It’s terrifying! I mean out of th –

 

              “Busy?” that familiar low toned voice startled Luhan who was so engrossed in writing a letter. He sat at the secluded area of the park, with an A4 size notebook on top of his tangled legs on the same exact bench he always sit on, the place where he met Jongin the first time.

               Luhan lifted his head to see Jongin’s nonchalant expression as he take the vacant space next to him. He’s surprised at younger male’s sudden appearance and the fact that he actually said something that isn’t about ushering him away.

               Jongin is looking attentively at the leaves on the tree a few metres in front of them, like he always do. It makes Luhan wonder what’s so fascinating about them.

               “Kind of.” He answered briskly, still quite upset at how Jongin has been cold to him today. He tucked the notebook neatly back to his sling back, and continued staring at Jongin, studying him. He’s still baffled at the way he treats him as if he doesn’t exist. It’s confusing him.

               “You’re gonna burn holes through me.” Jongin finally looked at him with the corner of his eyes, rather accusingly.

               “What do you mean?”

               “You’re staring too much. Fascinated with my face?” he cocked an eyebrow at Luhan.

                Luhan scoffed and narrowed his eyes at Jongin, “I can’t read you.”

                “Well I’m not a book.” Jongin spat cynically with his usual unfaltering tone.

                “Not like that – I mean, I just don’t know what you’re thinking, if you’re happy, or mad, or sad. I really don’t know.” Luhan sighed in defeat. Just yesterday, he thought he knew a lot already about Jongin and that he can easily predict what the younger male was feeling; but today clearly proved him wrong. He looked down at his hands on his lap as if they were the most interesting thing in the world.

                “I don’t like to be read.” Jongin spoke, softer this time, “You’ve already seen sides of me that no one else has. You should feel privileged.”

                The last part made Luhan chuckle, “Yes boss,” he said mockingly.

                The atmosphere between them didn’t feel so tensed and awkward as it had been whole day. Luhan is relieved about that at least. He can finally breathe without worrying that the air he breathe in will choke him.

                 Jongin fished something out of his pocket, “You forgot this at the apartment.” He handed Luhan the white second hand Galaxy S2 phone which used to be Kris’, until it was given to Luhan after Kris got himself the latest one, Galaxy Note. But it isn’t the phone that surprised Luhan, it’s the familiar phone chain that dangled from the phone.

                 It’s a phone chain with a letter ‘L’ and a miniature vintage clock hanging on it.  Luhan stares at it in glee, remembering that he saw it yesterday while shopping with Jongin. He didn’t have enough money to buy it though. 

Luhan looked up to express his gratitude, only to find Jongin already halfway across the secluded area. He smiled joyfully and shouted, “Thank you, Jong!” only loud enough for the younger male to hear.  Jongin just raised his left hand without turning around as an acknowledgement to the thank you.  

Luhan waited until Jongin was out of his sight before checking his phone. And surely enough, there, at the home screen of his phone, a note pad appeared with the text: Belated Happy Birthday. He didn’t need to guess to know who made it.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     

  

              He heard rustles of the blankets at the other side of the room. Instantly, Luhan knew he isn’t the only one awake. After being roommates with Kris for three long years, he know of the tall male’s sleeping habits: like how he would toss and turn when he can’t sleep, or that he would stand and do some stretches after having a nightmare. Luhan knew too well.

            “Awake?” he knows the answer, but he waited anyway.

            “Uhuh,” Kris replied, tossing a little bit more.

            Luhan the lamp on the bedside table, and Kris imitating the action not long after. He turned around to see the other lying on his back staring wearily at the ceiling. The beds are placed at the opposite sides of the room against the wall, with two bedside tables and the red wooden door separating them.

            “Do you think we’ll all get along? With this new group?” Luhan asked.

            Kris shifted around his bed so he’s facing Luhan, “Well, if Zitao grows some balls and Yixing learns not intimidate people and actually talk with more than 5 words, then yes, I think we’ll get along just fine.” His tone was hard to distinguish whether he is being serious or sarcastic. But nonetheless, Luhan laughed.

            It’s true, Tao is really scared about living with Korean people because he’s never lived with anyone else apart from them three since he moved to Korea. And Yixing, well, he’s just very awkward with new people and prefers to enjoy his own silence.

            “How about Jongin?” Luhan couldn’t help but ask.

            “Jongin? He’s the only one I don’t really know yet. He always disappears, so I’ve never really had a chance to get to know the kid.” Kris just shrugged.

            Jongin. Yes, he always disappears. But every time he does, it’s always Luhan that finds him – when he’s broken and alone. He reached for his phone, to feel the phone chain that he received this afternoon. The corners of his lips curved up. No, they aren’t strangers anymore. Although Luhan still feels the distance between them, there’s that thin thread that somehow connects them together. That’s enough for Luhan to know that they aren’t mere strangers.

            And maybe one day, he’ll be able to read Jongin like the pages of an open book.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHORS NOTE:

Here you go! Sorry it took a while.

But I've finished all my exams now, so I'll be able to update faster! :)

It's 3am  here and I probably should go to sleep!

There's nothing much in this chapter since it's really late and my brain isn't functioning well haaa!

Drop some comments =D<3

I shall go have some beauty sleep now pahaa~

Love You all Buffaloes<3

 

|| Teardrops ||