Heartbreaks and Strangers

Secrets

 

The weather was calming with the clear night sky contrasting with his blurry and muddled emotions as Jongin walked lifelessly in the empty Dosan Park. His first love had just expressed her want to end their 11 month long relationship few hours ago, holding his hand tightly with those determined eyes. He doesn’t know what to feel. Should he be angry? Sad? Or can he feel both at the same time? Mixed emotions are rushing up to his cores driving him to the edge of insanity. He looked at his watch. 1:12am. He’s been walking aimlessly for 2 hours already; time went by fast. If only his emotions were as quick to go as the time did, he would be much more relieved. He checks his phone: 36 missed calls. Half of it from his bestfriend Sehun, and the rest from Sehun's mother, and the other members of his training group. He knows they're worried, but right now he was too numb to respond. 

 

“People change in time Jongin,” her eyes wandered around the rustling grass on the ground as if looking for the right words to say.

“What do you mean by that?” Jongin asked although he fully knows where the conversation is going. She’s been hinting it in the past few days by avoiding his messages and acting distant around him.

“Sulli, answer me,” he said although truthfully, he is dreading to hear what she wants to say.

Sulli slowly turned her head to face Jongin. Those clear brown eyes staring deep into his soul. “I’ve changed,” she whispered.

“We’re still young, we don’t know what we want. Well, I don’t know what I want,” she paused to take a deep breath. She took Jongin’s cold hands and held it tight as she looked into his eyes as if she’ll find the answer she wants in them.

The seconds of that pause seemed like a lifetime for Jongin as he waited anxiously for the next dreaded words to come out of Sulli’s pink lips. He didn’t want to hear it. He desperately wished he could momentarily mute every sound from her so that he doesn’t have to hear those painful words.

“I think we should get on with our lives . . .” she looked at him with an expression he couldn’t quite read, “ . . . separately.”

His whole world crashed right before his eyes and he didn’t know how to react. He held onto her hands tighter scared that she might slip away if he let go.

“But you can’t leave me,” he forced the words out as he looked at her with pleading eyes.

She looked away with a seemingly determined and emotionless face and stood up as he held onto her desperately, “In fact, I can.”

“But you won’t.”

“I will.”

With that, she shook his hands off her and walked away. Jongin stared at her disappearing back defeated and drained out of any energy to run after her.

--------------------------

He sighed. He walked to the secluded area of the park where hardly anyone goes to. It’s the place he goes to every time he needs to organise his thoughts. He dragged his feet to walk as if there are big rocks attached to them. Making his way to his favourite bench, he looked up and saw someone else already sitting there. On normal days, he would go to all the trouble to make that person leave. But it wasn’t a normal day. He didn’t have any energy to argue.

He walked to the bench and sat down startling the current occupant. Jongin didn’t care if his making the other uncomfortable as he stare into the nothingness of the air with a blank expression. He could feel the other man staring at him but it didn’t have any effect on him.

“Heartbreak?” a soft voice spoke next to him with an accented Korean.

Is it too evident on his face? It’s either he’s too obvious, or the person is too good at sensing emotions. That, he would never know. He lifted his head up to look at the clear starry night sky. 

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” the person spoke again as Jongin continue staring at the stars in the sky.

“It may be painful now, but just think that the third time you see these stars from now, the pain would have lessened even in the tiniest bit,” the person spoke with comforting voice intriguing Jongin.

Jongin turned his head to look at the person with a rather intrigued expression. There next to him was another man with a youthful face and clear complexion looking up to the night sky.

“Can I believe you?” he sighed in melancholy as the other turned his head to look back at him.

He gave him a comforting smile reassuring Jongin with his words.

“Just endure the pain now because it will be gone before you even notice it. You have my word on that.”

Jongin looked down as the consoling words echoes in his head somewhat lessening the worries he had in mind. He wished he had this person’s positive thinking; maybe his life would be easier.

The stranger took off the headphones that was around his neck and attached it to Jongin’s ears all of the sudden. He looked at him startled by his sudden action. The song was an unfamiliar one, a voice he hasn’t heard before. It was calming his raging emotions making him feel more at ease.

He looked at the other person in curiosity as to why he would put his own headphones and music to a mere stranger. He just smiled back at Jongin, one of the gentlest smiles Jongin has ever seen. Before he could protest, the person stood up and walked away leaving his iPod and headphones with him. There, alone on the bench, Jongin sat with nothing but his heartache and a stranger’s music.

--------------------------

Hiding behind a Maple tree just a few metres away from the bench, he looked back to the stranger he just met. He smiled seeing that the weary eyes that met his curious ones a while ago were finally looking more serene as he stared at the starry night sky. Relieved that the other was much calmer, he turned around to head home. He was glad to see that the stranger somewhat relished the music and didn’t throw his iPod and headphones somewhere in the Park to rot.

The stranger looked quite pitiful so he just couldn’t leave him like that. He often see him on that same bench so he knew he would encounter him again sooner or later that’s why he wasn’t so worried on lending his music to him. He usually looks cold and callous but tonight, sadness was evident in his aura wandering around with no direction somewhat resembling a lost puppy. He knew he had to do something.

Reaching the apartment he shares with three other friends, he rummaged through his sling bag searching for his keys. Slightly panicking that he couldn’t find it, he worried that he dropped it somewhere. He checks his watch: 2:04am. It’s technically early morning already, he’s uncertain if anyone in the house was still awake. In the midst of worrying, the door suddenly opened startling his faint heart as his tall friend popped up behind it towering over his short stature.

“Looking for these?” his friend swung the familiar looking keys right in front of his face.

 “Thank God!” he clutched his chest in relief.

“No, thank me”.

“Yes, Kris, thank you,” he said mockingly as he entered the house.

Kris shook his head in dissatisfaction.

--------------------------

Jongin’s frenzy emotions were now quite stable as he lay on the bench hearing nothing from the world but the music emanating from the headphones. It’s as if nothing exists but him and the soothing music momentarily ejecting all the unwanted emotions from his being.

 

“I still don’t accept this reality

How did it turn out like this?”

 

The song was an unfamiliar one. But the meaning hits every corner of his body as if mocking his current situation. He hated the fact that the words seemed like they were extracted from his emotions. But in a way it was comforting. The voice was gentle and soothing for his ears helping his breathing pattern stabilise. He opened his eyes to scan through the iPod curiosity seeping through about whom the voice belongs to.

 

Luhan.

 

A rather unusual name for a Korean person.

 

“Luhan”

 

The name felt foreign to his lips but nonetheless intriguing. He closed his eyes once again feeling quite lethargic after a rather eventful day.

----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Paha, not a really good chapter, it's more like an introductory. I shall improve on the next one, more interactions between the characters! :) I'm working on it now so hopefully I'll be able to update soon =D

Thanks for those who commented, read, and subscribed to this story! =D I love you all!! teehee~ I hope I don't dissapoint! Enjoy reading (: <3

 

|| Teardrops ||