Melancholic Melody

Secrets

 

It wasn’t the sound of the curtains opening that awoke me from my slumber; it’s the radiance of the sun that made its way into the room through the window. I’ve always hated waking up to the sunlight, something me and Sehun are opposite about. He loved feeling the sunlight on his face as he wakes up whereas me, I loathe it. The glare of it disrupting my sleep makes me feel irritable. I slowly opened my drowsy eyes scowling at the sudden brightness invading my sight.

“Get up, Jong! We have training!” Sehun’s voice rang through my head as I slowly sat up to lean against the wall. Somehow, I’m in the room that I share with Sehun but can’t remember how I got here. There seem to be a relapse in my memory as if a monster has eaten a part of my brain. But that’s not possible.

“Goodmorning to you too,” I spoke with a hoarse morning voice feeling my throat rather dry as I rubbed my eyes lazily. A sudden throbbing pain sprang up my head as if there were little devils around it poking my head with their trident. I held it with both my hands in attempt to lessen the pain.

“Its exactly 12:28pm fool,” Sehun said as he placed a food tray at my bedside table with a bowl of soup and a glass of water on it. I looked at him doubtfully; the boy can’t even boil eggs, let alone make a soup!

Realising my bewildered look, he said, “I didn’t make that. Mum cooked that for you so don’t worry, it’s safe!”

“What happened?” I asked, confusion about the missing memory getting the best of me. Everything is just so unusual today.

“Nothing happened,” he said unconvincingly as I stare at him suspiciously, “Just you passing out lifeless and drunk out of your wits, that’s what happened.”

I stared at him blankly, confusion sketched across my face. Drunk? But I don’t drink. I tried to dig deep in my mind searching for that memory of last night, but it’s as if there’s a fog blocking the passage of my brain making me see nothing but a blank canvas. I tilted my head back as if it was going to help, but who am I kidding?

“Idiot, why did you get drunk?” Sehun scowled hitting me flat on the face with a pillow as he sat on the edge of my bed with his legs crossed.

“I can’t remember anything. How did I get home then?” I looked at him questioningly as he shook his head in disbelief. My throat felt dry. What the hell happened last night?! I reached out for the glass of water and gulped down as much as I can until it felt better.

“I dragged you home,” he said sarcastically as I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Luhan hyung. You owe him; he carried you home on his back!” My mind froze as I almost choke on the water I just drank.

Luhan?

I widened my eyes with a matching frown unable to process the new information thrown at me. I took a few minutes to sort my thoughts out as Sehun sat there staring at me nodding his head as if to verify that I what I heard was indeed right.

Flashback of what happened yesterday suddenly hit me and it was like I was watching little clips of my memories as they came rushing into my head.

 

My mind seemed to be abuzz with irrational thoughts as I sat lazily on the wooden seat by the window. I momentarily close my eyes in attempt to clear my mind. The sounds surrounding me seemed clearer. Loud laughter, nonstop chatting, rhythmic banging on the tables; but one sound stood out amongst them: the ticking of the clock. It seemed slow, way too slow for me as I wished I could fast-forward everything. It’s only been an excruciating month since Sulli has ended it between us, but for me it felt like years of agony already. It’s also been a month since my encounter with a rather odd stranger. I opened his eyes and stared at the iPod and red headphone that was on the table in front of him.

Luhan.

The sound of the door opening snapped me back to my senses and I broke my gaze away from the iPod to check who came.

The teacher entered and everyone rustled to their seats. His shiny bald head stood out, wearing vertical striped trousers to hide his small stature as he walked to his usual position. Something about today just takes my mind out of focus.

Four unfamiliar figures entered the room trailing behind the teacher. Everyone started chattering with each other in curiosity, but I couldn’t care less. I just turned my head to gaze through the window watching the leaves rustle on the branches of the old tree by the basketball court. I didn’t pay attention at what was being said as I busied himself counting the leaves that were falling to the ground.

“Oh, hello”

I froze. I recognise that familiar voice.

 “My name is Luhan”

Luhan.

That unusual name that has been ringing through my head the whole month. I slowly turned my head expectantly hoping that it was just a coincidence. Fate seemed to be against me. There in front of the room stood the same youthful face and clear complexion I had met a month ago.

A few weeks ago, after getting my head straight, I realised how pathetic I must have looked in the stranger’s eyes. I hated people seeing my weak side; even my close friends rarely see me in that condition. However, for some twisted reason, that stranger has seen that side of me already, a vulnerable side that I don’t intend to show anyone. I've been wondering when we’ll meet again, visiting the same bench whenever I gets the chance to but I've never seen that person again. Although I know that we’ll meet again eventually, I didn’t expect it to be like this. I feel too unprepared and embarrassed to show my face.

I quickly grabbed the book Sehun was reading earlier and opened a random page. Lowering myself on the seat, I tried to cover as much of my face as I can, making sure I am out of Luhan’s sight.

It has grown silent.

I felt a nudge as I turned my head to look at Sehun next to me, “What are you doing? It’s your turn,” Sehun warned as I stared at him blankly.

“Please introduce yourself!” the teacher demanded sternly, his high-pitched voice abnormally going up few notes higher which didn’t deemed possible considering how high his voice already is. It irritates everyone but no one has the balls to say it.

Startled, I raised my hand as a greeting with my face remaining behind the book.

“I-I’m Jongin,” I muttered under his breath almost like a whisper.

“Jongin, what are you doing?”

“I’m reading, sir”

“The book is upside down,” loud laughter followed shortly. I wanted to just vanish right there as I felt the amused stares given at my peculiar behaviour. I seem to always show a weird side of me when Luhan is around.

~~

“Neon nareul wonhae!” that idiot Baekhyun sang with his screaming voice echoing loudly through the speakers further deafening my delicate ears. His voice seems to linger in my ear like that bitter after taste you get from eating raw coffee. I would have preferred a quiet night in my room with the comfort of my bed and the warmth of my blanket, but no. Baekhyun and Sehun literally dragged me here to the karaoke bar with all sorts of threats one can come up with. I should teach them about free will someday.

I lifted my head and at the other side, Luhan and Kris are bickering and laughing at something probably not even that amusing. For some odd reason, I didn’t like the scene; the image of them together seems to hit something in me that I just can’t seem to pinpoint. A rather anomalous emotion. Staring at them intently, I feel my throat become dry, as if all liquid from it were drained out of my body. I reached out for the nearest drink in front of me and gulped it down in one go. A rather bitter after taste made me want to cough it all back out as I feel it burn through my throat. What the hell did I just drink?!

“I WANT YOU, UNDER MY SKIN!” I grimaced at the loudness and grabbed the nearest object I could reach and threw it at Baekhyun who continued singing, more like shouting to be honest. He pouted at me as it hit him by the crotch. He should be thankful it was a pillow and not something more solid than that.

I turned my head to look at Luhan again. I don’t know why I did though. It’s as if there are little devil sitting on my shoulder and turns my head towards him against my will. He’s punching Kris playfully on the arm as they continue with their laughter. They look so comfortable around each other somewhat resembling a newly married couple. I grimaced at the thought. He turned his head my way and I gulped as our eyes meet. Those round brown eyes turned into two small crescents as the corner of his lips curled up into a smile. I looked away almost immediately feeling awkward and rather embarrassed that I was caught staring. I can see him laughing at me by my peripheral view as I grabbed another glass of drink gulping it down hurriedly. That familiar burning feeling down my throat made my vision quite blurry. I closed my eyes and shook my head in attempt to shake the blurriness away. I looked at Baekhyun and I could see two of him. I looked around and there are double of everything, and sometimes three. The world feels like its spinning around me. I focused my vision on Luhan feeling rather brave as the other pierced a glance right at me. He looked rather confused and worried. His lips moved as if he was saying something to me but I couldn’t hear anything, and before I can say something, everything became dark. I out.

~~

I could hear people mumbling around me but i can't make out what they're saying. My eyes remained close as they felt too heavy for me to open.

"Lift him up and I'll carry him on my back." I heard a soft voice spoke quite close to me. Is that Luhan? I felt my arms gettin tugged and then I was lifted off my feet. What's happening? I opened my eyes and I could scarcely see my reflection on the marble floor. I'm on top of someone's back. 

"Let's go," Sehun's voice said and I could feel the person carying me started moving. He smells like a combination of vanilla and chocolate, he smells sweet. I hugged him tightly inhaling that addicting fragrance. Because he smells nice, I'll sing for him. I started sing that song from Luhan's iPod. 

"My Looove!" I sang loudly and I hear them laugh. Why do they laugh? After a few more lines, I out into a deep slumber once again.

----------

“.” It’s the first thing I could utter after remembering my dramatic memory of last night. How can I be so stupid?!

“Good. You should feel guilty,” Sehun said casually as I fixed a glare at him. He is making me feel worse than I already feel! He stood up to get clothes from his closet, “You eat and I’ll shower.”

Just when I thought he is finally going to leave the room, he stopped just outside the open door to throw a last remark, “Eat with guilt!” he stuck his tongue out as I throw a pillow towards him making him quickly run away from my sight, disappearing behind the walls. That bastard!

Too occupied with my conversation with Sehun, I didn’t realise the familiar headphones circling around my neck. I took it off, feeling my neck rather exposed. I looked at the headphone questioningly discovering that it’s attached to a familiar looking iPod that laid bedside my pillow.

It’s Luhan’s.

----------

The emptiness of the music room is calming as I indulge myself with Luhan’s music. It’s a rather small comfortable room covered with a mixture of baby blue and creamy white wall paper. A white piano in the middle occupying most of the room with music note paintings hanging on the wall. I sat lazily on the red chair by the wall next to the acoustic guitar, using another chair to rest my feet on comfortably. Yet again, I held onto his iPod. I sighed, glad that I get time by myself once again. An hour of the literature lesson is enough to drive me to insanity. The bald teacher’s screeching voice breaks all the organs near my ears, making me wish I was temporarily deaf.

I opened my eyes staring at the ceiling baring the bright light blinding me. Drifting into the labyrinth of my own thoughts, I sighed remembering the announcement made earlier. The next three days will be our day off, to spend time with our family or sort out apartment arrangements for those who live on their own. That's the exception of me I guess since I live with Sehun's family. In three days, all twelve of us will be moving in together in one apartment. In a way, it will be beneficial for me as it will take my mind off Sulli, but at the same time, I’m pretty much dreading it. The thought of having twelve wild and hormonal raging boys in one house just doesn’t sound like a peaceful way of living. Not that I’m living a peaceful life now anyway.

Lost in the middle of my thoughts, I was startled that the left side of the headphone was taken off my ear.

“Boo,” a familiar voice whispered lightly as I felt his warm breath tickle my ear. I moved away immediately to look at the intruder.

Luhan.

I gave out an annoyed scowl giving him a rather irritated glare. He always appears when I want to be left alone as if he has implemented a tracker on me. He just stood there grinning at me like he was satisfied to disturb my peacefulness.

“What do you want?” I said in a low growl as he sat on the chair in front of me much to my dismay.

“Everyone’s going out to get some food. Was just wondering if you’d want to come.”

“No,” I answered sharply as he just shrugged making it clear that my rudeness does not bother him. He looked around the room in awe resembling a child seeing a house of candies. He looks so innocent and harmless making me question myself as to why I act like such a bastard towards him. Maybe it’s because I’m just not use to associating with new people since I’ve always stuck to my long term friends.

“How are you feeling now?” he spoke snapping me back from my trance, “you were pretty wasted last night,” he gave out a matching chuckle.

Answering with a rather annoyed glare, I took the headphones of my neck and pushed it towards his lap together with his iPod. I wasn’t sure whether to thank him or whatnot but I decided to remain silent. He stood up and walked towards the piano leaving the iPod and headphones on the chair he was previously sitting on.

“Will you listen to my song?”

I stood up and turned around to take my leave disregarding his question, or more like a request. I just wanted to be left alone. Before I could take a step, the sound of the piano playing stopped me from making any movement.

I stood frozen.

A beautiful combination of notes emanated from his fingers gliding over the keys of the piano creating a rather melancholic melody. It’s beautiful. Simple words are not enough to describe its exquisiteness. I stayed frozen on the same spot as I continue to listen, curious of how the music will progress.

 

“When I feel helpless and weak,

I picture the happy memories of us.”

 

Such an angelic voice. I turned around. He sat in front of the piano, lost in the maze of his own melody. It’s truly mesmerising. It is echoing on every wall of the room, reaching my ears in extravagance. But there’s something more striking than just the mere voice, it’s the melancholic ambiance that is sketched together with it. For a cheerful guy like him, I didn’t know he could carry such a dark aura around him. Almost as if I was in front of a different person. His emotions are overflowing that it touches the core of my heart and my soul, somewhat drawing me into him. Those round brown eyes masked with sadness as if he’s been through storms and hurricanes on his own barely making it out alive. Although I’ve heard him sing through his iPod, it’s a whole different level listening to him like this. I can feel that barrier around him that no one will ever dare to cross. It’s intriguing. It makes me want to know more about him.

I hate people prying into my life,” my own words echoed in my head as if to mock me. It is funny how I pushed him away for meddling with my life when I myself want to pry into his life. Lost in my own thoughts, I didn’t realise he stopped playing.

“How was it?” he asked looking anxious for my reply.  Without any word, I just turned around and started walking towards the door. I heard him heave a sigh as I could feel the sad gaze burning holes through my back. My steps halted. It’s as if someone else is in control of my body making me unable to take that one last step towards the door. I stood there debating on what to do. The little devil on my left shoulder is telling me to just leave whereas the angel on my right shoulder is telling me to say something.

I turned my head to side so only half of my face was visible to him, “It was nice.”

The angel won.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Tada! A rather long chapter!! hahahaha~ I didn't realise how much I was typing LOL! Thank youuu to all my lovely subscribeeeeers~ Hope you like this chapter! =D.. I'll try to update as soon as I can! But I'm gonna be busy this week since its the last week before term break, so a lot of essays to finish TT__TT.. and it's my birthday on Wednesday, I'm expecting gifts from you all! iJOKE! Bwahahaha preferably EXO boys, you can send them to my mailbox and I'll be a happy snowflake! XD..

And it's Xui Min's birthday today too so I made this crappy little poster for him because he is a smexy cute beast! paha! HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU!!!<3

LASTLY! I have a livejournal account where I also update my story, so you can go there in case AFF dies again. It seems to go down quite a lot lately so yeah! :) http://happyteardrops.livejournal.com/

ENJOOOOY<3

 

|| Teardrops ||