A New Journey

Secrets

 

I could hear the noises of chattering and rhythmic banging on the table muffled by the wall that separates us from the other room. I clasp my hands together, anxiety dominating my emotions making my legs tremble slightly in anticipation.

What if they don’t like us?

“Relax Luhan, you look way too nervous,” I heard Kris spoke, suddenly appearing right next to me. When did he get there? I looked at him. He had a nonchalant expression as if world peace has been declared.

Am I the only one nervous?

I looked behind me. There stood Tao, the youngest amongst us. He has a misleading fierce exterior covering up the softy he is inside. He’s nagging on Yixing about how he needs to go to the toilet. The poor guy must be irritated. Yixing is the second youngest amongst us. He’s an emotionless looking boy that has an expression similar to a brick wall, but nonetheless caring. He stood there trying to cover his ears shaking off Tao who was clinging onto him.

I heaved a deep sigh. I feel my legs wobble a bit more.

“Calm down dude,” Kris said lightly kicking my wobbling legs to straighten it.

“You look like a jelly,” he commented looking at me in derision. I glared at him, “Well you look like someone I’m gonna punch in a bit,” I muttered under my breath as he smirked in reply.

I could hear my heart pounding as I gulped in anxiety. In the two years I’ve been training with these three other Chinese trainees, we’ve been put together with different groups consisting of Korean people. Most of the time, we weren’t welcomed warmly and hearing racist remarks were a part of our daily life. It was an excruciating experience. But we did meet good ones along the way.

Now, here we are again waiting outside a door that separates us from our soon-to-be group members. It’s like a déjà vu. A bad déjà vu.

The sound of the door opening snapped me back to my senses. I couldn’t move my legs as I hear the people inside rustle to their seats. Kris gave me a slight push. I walked in with my eyes glued to the floor scared to meet the curious gazes.

“These trainees will be a part of your training group from now on,” the teacher spoke with his rather abnormally high pitched voice. I could hear curious whispers.

“Please introduce yourselves,” the teacher demanded.

I lifted my head up to scan through the people whom we’re going to be seeing every day from now on.

 

They look harmless.

 

On the far left, a chubby cheeked guy is whispering with the guy next to him, a cheerful looking one with a goofy smile. And then there’s a calm looking one whom I recognise as Chanyeol, talking to a neat looking guy who has a gentle smile. One was just staring at us in curiosity with his mouth agape and another one smiling at us politely. And then him.

 

I froze.

 

There by the window was the boy I met at the park a month ago. Staring outside with rather apathetic eyes and dishevelled hair, his aura seemed different from the vulnerable one I met at the park. What a funny plan fate has for us. Meeting him here hasn’t even crossed my messed up mind. Not to say that he isn’t talented, it’s just downright weird.

 

It has grown silent.

 

I felt a nudge and I broke my gaze at him to look at Kris next to me.

“It’s your turn,” he mouthed and I realised everyone was staring at me waiting for me to introduce myself.

“Oh, hello. I’m Luhan,” I bowed in respect although I’m probably older than most of them.

Then they introduced themselves. I watched amusedly as I observed them one by one. Everyone seemed so different from each other each with their own distinctive personalities. Maybe they won’t be that bad.

 

It has grown silent once more.

 

It’s his turn. I turned my head to look at him and surprised that he wasn’t at the same position as he was earlier. I looked at him bemusedly. All I could see was his head hidden behind a book that wasn’t even there earlier. What is he doing?

“Please introduce yourself!” the teacher demanded sternly, his high-pitched voice going up few notes higher ringing through my head like a poison. I want to cleanse my ears.

 

He raised his hand as a greeting as his face remained behind the book, “I-I’m Jongin,” he uttered almost like a whisper.

“What are you doing?” the teacher questioned.

“I’m reading, sir"

 

I chuckled. The book is upside down. No one seemed to notice.

 

“The book is upside down,” the teacher said as if he could read my mind. The guy creeps me out.

A dramatic silence could be heard and then loud amused laughter followed as I tried to supress my own. I smiled seeing his grip on the book tightened but remained behind it anyway.

 

The poor boy must be embarrassed.

 

“That’s a talent,” Kris whispered to me with a chuckle. “I didn’t think I’d find someone as weird as you are,” he added teasingly as I hit his sides with my elbow. This guy really loves getting on my nerves.

----------------------------------------

I wandered around the empty corridor next to the music department humming a tune I’ve been trying to compose the past few months. My head just seemed too distracted today. I leaned against the white wall feeling its coldness scuttle through my back. I tapped on the wall with my fingers rhythmically, synchronising with the tune I’m humming in the head.

 

Jongwoon, I think his name was. Or was it Jongin?

 

He keeps intruding my mind. It’s bothering me how the boy has been avoiding me since I’ve met him today. Did I do something wrong? He wouldn’t even gaze at me and would walk away when I get near. Am I some sort of a virus? I sighed frustratingly. As I was about to take my leave to go to the lockers, I heard people chatting and laughing. Curiously, I walked to where the sound was coming from, and there next to the piano room was a cheerful girl exchanging words and laughter with a rather charismatic boy. But that’s not what caught my attention. It’s the boy who is hiding behind the wall seemingly spying on them. It’s Jongin.

As I expected, he ran away with a pained expression not even noticing my existence. I looked at the girl again. It’s the girl that broke his heart.

----------------------------------------

“Have you seen Jongin?” I heard someone spoke from afar as I attempt to tie the bothersome laces of my trainers. Is the question directed to me? Too concentrated on the laces as I knot it in all possible way I could find, I disregarded the question.

“He’s the one wearing the red hoodie and has a messy hair,” he added, his voice seemed closer. Jongin, that’s the name. I looked to the side and was met by a gentle round eyes piercing through me. He smiled at me; it’s the polite boy who I now know as Sehun.

It’s been two hours since I’ve last seen Jongin. He even missed the Literature class. Not that there was anything interesting in it anyway; the lady made us write a poem about a chicken!

“No I haven’t. Why?” I asked as I unknot the laces again frustratingly. Sehun’s eyes went back and forth from me and my trainers before giving out a little stifled chuckle. Yes, I know. I, Luhan, a 21 year old fully grown man, can’t tie shoe laces. Story of my life.

“I can’t tie shoelaces too!” he admitted elatedly as if it was something to be proud of. I looked at him in astonishment. My long lost brother! We both laughed amusedly at our bizarre similarity.

“It’s too complicated! Jongin tried teaching me but I always forget after 5 minutes!” it’s funny how we’re oddly similar in a peculiar way. Kris always tries to teach me how to do it but I forget all the time.

We spent few more minutes exchanging stories about shoelaces when Kris suddenly appeared next to me, “Shoelaces?”

I nodded at him as he rolled his eyes and squatted in front of me. I watched attentively as he tied the laces expertly. It’s not like I’m going to remember later anyway.

“I’ll go look for Jongin. The dance teacher is going to treat us to karaoke bar later, I’ll see you two in a bit!” he waved cheerfully as he left the room. 

Maybe I should look for him too. I have an idea on where the boy might be.

With that, I left the room shoving my training clothes into my empty sling bag hastily.

----------------------------------------

As I walk to the secluded area of the park, I could feel the chilly breeze of the late autumn afternoon embrace my body. He should be here. I lifted my head to check and there, a figure is lying down on his back across the bench. I could already recognise the red hoodie and the overly dishevelled hair.

 

Jongin.

 

 I walked up and stood by the bench. He looks so peaceful with his eyes closed, as if all his worries have been blown away by the wind. A smile crept upon my lips as I recognise the familiar headphones attached to his ears. I’m glad to know he kept it.

He slowly opened his eyes, squinting it as the sunlight invaded his vision.  He jolted up after realising my presence.

“What are you doing here?” he spoke in a low hostile voice as I sat down on the empty space of the bench. He looked the other way avoiding my gaze.

“Everyone’s looking for you,” I answered trying to keep my composure as he stared at the tree in front of us, as if counting its leaves.

“How did you know I was here?”

“Took a wild guess,” I gave him a smile although he couldn’t see it. “I’m glad you liked my music,” I added as he turned his head slightly my way but not completely.

“Says who?” he daunted as he took the head phones off his neck. 

I gave a slight chuckle. The boy doesn’t intimidate me at all. I find him rather adorable actually.

“I don’t like people prying on my life,” he said as he pushed the headphone and iPod to my hands in a rather harsh manner, “So you might wanna off,” he added.

“Jongin,” I started as I slightly patted his shoulder much to his annoyance, “I’m gonna be a part of your life from now on, so technically, I’m not prying,” I smiled in triumph feeling that I outsmarted the other. I heard him grunt as he muttered a curse under his breath.

It’s gonna be an interesting journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

There you go my lovely readers!! Tahah! I rewrote this chapter three times coz I wasn't happy with the way I wrote it XD. I got a lot of lovely comments so I wanted to do well.. I'm still not completely happy with this one, but hope you all like it anyway! =D.. Teehhee<3 I'll try to update soon! (:

Thank you for those who subscribed and comment!!!!!!! =D I looooove you all! bwhahaha~

 

BTW, I live in England so I'm more accustomed to British type of English. Trainers = sneakers. I'm pretty sure it is O.O hahaha! Enjoy<3

 

|| Teardrops ||