Girl boss, gatekeep?

The girl in my dreams is our new student?

Wow, do I feel good lately. Queue the jazz music. I woke up in a really good mood today. The birds were chirping, the vibe was great, something in the air today that’s really getting me all jazzed up. As soon as I finished showering, I immediately got dressed up and ready to leave the dorm. I was wearing a red cardigan-like long sleeve and shorts. It’s funny to me because as I was walking out, I noticed the extra bounce to my steps. Like a kid excited to go to class. I chuckled to the realization. What is wrong with me? Like the goes on? It’s like the world was on my side so early in the morning. NOT THAT I’M COMPLAINING THOUGH? The world should stay there. Tsch. I walked out the gate to see a tall woman wearing a black tank top and black cargo pants, holding an umbrella. “어! 왔어? (Oh! You’re here?)” I said leaving a smirk on my face. “네~ (Yes~)” she quickly paused to look up from her phone. “Eh? Brushing up on your Korean for dummies 101, I see…” Jimin laughed. When I glared at her from her remark, she immediately patted my head and pinched my cheeks gently. Like instinct, I locked my arm on hers as we walked to school.


For weeks, it has been like this. She picks me up and drops me off when she can. It confused me a little because her condo is on the other side of the university. Which means, she probably walks through school to get to me, then walks back inside with me. Is that what friends are supposed to do? I mean I do walk with Ning sometimes or Aeri, given the chance. Jimin, just what are you trying to tell me? Because God knows I will be overthinking every little thing you do for me. We went straight to the cafeteria to work on some papers, as well as, kill time till our 9:30 am class. We sat next to each other, shoulders brushing from time to time. One thing I noticed is when Jimin gets tired, she stretches her arms forward as she squeezes herself inwards, letting out a cat-like sound. A meow? Then, she blinks multiple times while staring at nothing then continues working! Isn’t that cute?! It feels oddly familiar though. Like I’m in this deja vu. “You’re staring again.”Jimin mentioned, still looking at her laptop screen. “You know, I might think you have a crush on me Jeongi. You better ease with the staring.” She smirks then laughs. “Huh? Wow. You wear glasses because your eyesight is . Don’t tell me even you nearsighted peripheral view is also ed? Damn.” I immediately said. “Just admit it Minjeong.” I sighed and said, “I was staring at that chicken poppers store, not you.” Jimin only shrugged. 

I was so busy typing for my paper that I did not notice Jimin leaving. She left a sticky note to make sure I was informed where she was.
 

“Jagiya, brb. Have to pass something for my English class real quick. I’ll be back. Left my stuff with you. Xoxo, 너의 자기야 (Your baby)” 


I smiled at the silly sticky note sitting on top of my book and shook my head as I went back to typing. Everything was fine until I noticed some kind of commotion on my peripheral view. A group of friends pushing this guy - that I haven’t seen before by the way, to me. What now… This better not be about… “Heyyyyy, Winter Kim, right? So, we’ve met before…” Nope. “and I was hoping… you could introduce me to…” I thought so. “Karina…? You see, your best friend is really pretty. I was planning to ask her out and since you’re closest to her, I thought it would be the best option to ask help from you?” I just looked at him and his friends. I feel the people close to us were looking at us as well. This isn’t the first time this happened. I’ve had multiple guys and girls walk up to me to ask the same thing. Staying close to Karina meant having a lot of these instances. The stares, the gossips, the annoying students trying to befriend me for the sake of catching Rina like a ing pokemon. I’m just saying, why do they have to go through me? Why not ask her directly?! But do I really want them to ask her directly? What if going through me meant that I get to stop them from even getting a chance to be with her? Is that selfish? Do friends have that right? Is this what gatekeeping a person meant? I never knew what to say so I let out an “Uhmm.” 

 

“What is this? What’s going on? Jagiya?” I looked in the direction where my jagiya called me. MY JAGIYA? PFFT what the HAHAHA. “Oh, he was asking me about you.” I said. “Hmm, Jeno right? From the dance squad auditions? You could ask me directly.” Jimin smiled at him. “You see… I was hoping I could, uhm” his friends and the people around were teasing him. To give you visual aid. I am right in between them. Jimin is standing behind me while Jeno - his name apparently - is in front of me. I don’t want to be in this situation. At least right now since it’s 9:20 am and we have class soon. “If I could get close to you and eventually, you know, ask you out?” His friends started clapping. Do men think publicly doing this gets a girl to say yes? I mean I don’t know about Jimin but I am not for public confessions/ proposals. It just puts the other person in pressure to say yes, you know?  I started packing my stuff up and finished the drink Jimin bought me a while ago. I was about to stand up when I felt a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it twice. “I’ll have to say no, Jeno. It’s not you, it's me." I left out a chuckle because how cliche can Jimin get?? "I think you’re good looking and a good guy. It’s just that I have to take care of this baby introvert over here first.” When I said I could not move, I did not move. I couldn’t lift my head. I stared down. I could feel so many people looking at us. I should've kept that chuckle. GOD IT WAS JUST A TINY CHUCKLE. WHY MUST THIS BE MY KARMA?!! I mean, I’m just a best friend right? Why would I react like this? Normal friends would say “Damn right she has to.” At least that’s what Ningning would say. But I am not Ningning. I am a person who wants to avoid interactions and conflicts from people as much as I can. I get shy easily. I’d rather do solo projects than be in a group for 's sake. 

 

I feel Jimin rubbing my back and said “We’re gonna run late for class, Jeo.” I didn’t even notice she was already done packing and everyone else went back to their business. Not long after, she reached out the sticky note she wrote a while ago, "You might leave this. I don't want other people looking at my stickynotes for you but you." I looked at her in shock. I never thought she would want me to gatekeep her stickynotes. But then again, it makes me feel a little more special to her. And I like that... feeling special. So I took it and slipped it in my wallet. We were walking to class when Jimin was kind of fidgeting. “Jeno…" she started the convo. "Hm?" I said without meaning to sound uninterested. "He’s from the dance squad auditions. We were tasked to dance together as part of a level in auditions. I don’t know why I’m explaining this to you but you don’t need to worry about him.” She let out a small laugh, as if she was worried. “I got in by the way! I was emailed a while ago while passing my English homework.” I nod.  Why do I have to know about Jeno? He is irrelevant to me. I mean he is good looking and Rina and Jeno would look good together, honestly. But why am I feeling like this? Like there’s resentment? Bitterness to the tongue? What is this exactly? I was starting to get a little mad by the second of thinking, Karina and Jeno.
 

“Tsch” I accidentally voiced out. God why. “Hmm? Something wrong?” Jimin said, her look getting even more worried. “Nothing, heh. Congratulations, Jagiya. You did well.” I smiled at her while lowkey reminding her that she is my Jagiya as much as I am hers. Two can play the game remember? But again, what ing game Minjeong?? Huhu why am I feeling this way?!!!! I patted her head softly and held her hand, just how she always requested me to do when she does a good job. What do I get in return for that, her contagiously beautiful smile. A smile that turns her eyes into perfectly crescent moons. And just like that, it’s like I forget about the world and my worries for a second. “Thanks, Jagi.” She looked back at me, eyes glimmering. My world stopped for a second. Like those slow motion scenes in rom-coms. “Awe you look like a puppy right now. My jagi jagi~ My jagi jagi.” She added. “You’re even calling me like I’m one!” I said as I rolled my eyes. Jimin only giggled and started swinging our hands together. “My Jagi…” she said once more in a whisper she probably thought I didn’t hear. For a while I forgot I was getting angry about the Jeno thing. Because if you think about it, at the end of the day, I’m her jagiya. The only one. 

 

I’m getting used to this. The requests of Jimin. Calling her Jagiya, patting her head, interlocking out arms or hands, picking me up and dropping me off at the dorm, eating outside which I used to rarely do… She has infiltrated my way of life. Is it good? Is it bad? I’m not entirely sure yet. But what I am sure of, is that my daddy Kyung would love to know who has been breaking in his daughter’s mind lately. Maybe I should meet with daddy soon. Should I bring Jimin? I mean, daddy knows about Ning and Aeri. Maybe I should bring all of them? Daddy likes guests anyway. I guess I’ll see you soon Daddy Kyung.