Night Out - Part 1

The girl in my dreams is our new student?

I woke up from a slumber. Feeling like it was the first time I fell asleep in years. The type of nap where you can’t even remember when you passed out. I didn’t even get to daydream, let alone have a dream! I scratched my head trying to think… Something feels wrong. Why is my heart racing like this? Is there a test tomorrow? I rummaged through my bed trying to find my phone, like how a nicotine addict would find their vape. Time check: 9:06 pm. Hmm I’m starving. I wonder what’s for dinner… Then it all made sense… Karina… Oh . 

Missed call: Jimin (12)
Jimin: Are you asleep? 15 mins ago.
Jimin: Are you seriously making me wait? 16 mins ago.
Jimin: Minjeonggg!! 18 mins ago.
Jimin: Jeongieeeeeeeeee~ 20 mins ago. 
Jimin: I’m waiting by the front of the school. Where are you? 30 mins ago.
Jimin: Hey! I just finished English, dance squad auditions, and some stuff for the registrar and admin. Are you ready? I’m kind of hungry :”) 50 mins ago. 

Oh. My. God. I am a criminal. This is criminal. I am a horrible person. I immediately got up and down the bunk bed, trying my best not to get into an accident. I washed my face as quickly as possible and changed into comfortable clothes. Hmm, a black shirt and sweatpants aren’t so bad. Now, I just need my school ID and my wallet. I looked at myself in the mirror once. You have no shame even trying to look presentable after making someone wait. You horrible piece of sh- The door swung open. “God dammit Ning you scared me,” I screamed in tiny. “You have to cut some caffeine intake MJ, I swear to God. You’re the problem, not me!” Ningning said. “Jesus, why are you attacking me? Bad day at uni?” Ningning nodded, then looked at me questionably. “Hey…you…” I looked at her, she looked at me, I looked at us in the mirror, then pointed at myself. “Me?” Ningning squints. “OKAY BYE NING.” I ran away. Well, more brisk walking because I might disturb other people at the dorm. “You never eat out during dinner, MJ. What is this behavior?” I hear Ning’s voice trailing off as I get a little farther from our room. 

Just when I was about to open the door to our dorm, a very cheeky happy Giselle appeared. I check my watch, 9:20 pm. My heart started racing even more. I was already having a hard time breathing. God, what did I do in my past life to deserve all of this? WHY IS GISELLE BLOCKING THE DOOR? “Aeri!! I’m running late PLEASE!” I cry out. “As far as I know you only had 2 classes today MJ. Where are you going? You never go out for dinner.” Giselle said with a confused almost teasing voice. “HOW DID YOU EVEN PERFECTLY TIME TO BE AT THE DOOR AS SOON AS I WENT?” I let out a frustrated yet anxious sigh. “Ning texted me. Also, if you ARE gonna meet someone, at least wear some perfume, MJ.” Suddenly, Giselle whipped out her perfume and sprayed me down like I had not taken a bath for a month. I coughed a few times and was about to slap her on the shoulder when I heard Ningning talking to someone on the phone as she walked down the staircase.  
 
*on the phone*
Ning: Oh, she’s just about to leave honestly. I’ll make sure to hand her back her phone before she walks out the door. Hihi, nice meeting you Karina! Let’s meet up soon, Ms. Popular. *laughs*

“Oh, MJ. Here’s Karina. You left your phone on your desk and she called so I picked it up, obviously. Hihi. So, you like new blood huh? How did you get close to someone so popular? You rarely even talk to strangers!” Ningning said as she handed me my phone. “Please for the love of God, shut up and let me leave. And for the record, Aeri is popular too, you know! She basically took us both in as her friends!” I explained, pointing at Giselle. “Hey, that’s different! We got close because we are dormmates and Ningning is my girlfriend. We both took you in because you looked like a sad puppy eating alone and studying alone here!” All I gave them was a piece of my middle finger until I got out of the dorm. 

*still on the phone*
Jimin: Hello??
Jeongie: Oh , yes, hello Karina. I mean, Jimin.  
Jimin: *Laughs hysterically* 
Jeongie: You’re laughing. Why are you laughing? I’m on my way. Where are you?
Jimin: Awe is the sad puppy on her way? HAHAHAHA I’m at this Korean restaurant just a bit across from our uni. Which dorm are you staying in anyway?
Jeongie: You heard everything did you? (I said in a very defeated voice.)
Jimin: Maybe I did. Maybe I didn’t. Sorry for listening hehe.
Jeongie: It’s fine. You finally met my only friends in this university. I’m on my way there. I just have to go through school. I stay at the dorm behind our uni. Hence, going to school. I’ll be there in a second. 
Jimin: *chuckles* Ningning and Aeri are cute. You guys are a bunch of cute friends. I can’t wait to meet them. You, however, I have a bone to pick with you. I’m starving Jeongieeeee~
Jeongie: *clears my throat* (She’s being so cute right now. How the do I face her when I get there? I am a MONSTER FOR MAKING HER WAIT.) I’m sorryyyy. I’m near, I promise. I’ll end the call.
Jimin: NO! (She said instantly.) Keep the call running. End it when you get here. Please? I’ll be waiting here. I got us a seat. Take care walking, Ning said you’re an idiot sometimes. 
Jeongie: Oh shut up. 

I arrived at the restaurant as soon as I could. 9:32pm, I am horrible. I looked around to find which table Jimin was seated at. The restaurant was not that packed but it did have a good amount of people. A bunch of Korean residents, some students who obviously recognized Jimin, some from work, and some families who just wanted to have Korean food. I saw Jimin wave her hand, seated by the corner of the restaurant with a menu on her hand. We both kept the call running and phones in our ears. 

Jeongie: I see you! 
Jimin: I see you too! 

I finally got to walk up to her with a sigh of relief and a grumbling tummy

Jeongie: Hi~
Jimin: Hey, you… 

*call end.*

“I made you wait, I’m sorry,” I said looking down, still standing next to her. “It’s okay, I had some snacks while waiting for you. Was it a really good sleep? You didn’t even wake up to at least one of my missed calls.” Jimin said, looking like she was really interested in what I had to say. “It was, actually! That professor really tired me out for that recitation. I felt like a sacrificial lamb.” I playfully glared at her as I occupied the seat in front of her. She laughs, and I listen. Her laugh is so silly but so attractive to me. How can she look like a goddess and laugh like a loser? “I guess we’re even then. Your dream must’ve been thaaaat good for you to dare to wake up huh?” She said to me then turned to the waitress to order food. “Is what I ordered okay with you? Or do you want to add something else?” she turned her head back to me, eyebrows scrunched up, before letting the waitress go. I watch her do everything for me. From cleaning my utensils with tissue, ordering food for the both of us and even pouring me water. As far as I remember, I am the younger one here. Choosing what to eat was always a struggle for me unless I was craving something. So I liked that she didn’t have to let me choose, and then asked if everything was good for me. “That sounds good enough for me.” I smiled. “Okay, that would be all, thank you.” The waitress left to have our orders prepared and

Jimin was just looking at me like she was waiting for me to say something. I hummed to let her know that I had absolutely no clue what she was waiting for. “So? Was the dream THAT good for you to notice my missed calls?” When I tell you my world stopped turning and time paused right at that moment, I WAS NOT KIDDING. I wanted to bury myself alive. I wanted to drop dead. I wanted to leave the country, change my identity, and live as a lowlife peasant that I deserved to be. How could I forget? She’s the exact girl I daydream about. I daydream about her until I actually fall asleep and hopefully continue dreaming about her. Thinking about it now is so ing weird. She’s a real person and I replay a scenario of us holding hands multiple ing times for me to relax? Feel comforted? Feel less lonely? WAY BEFORE I KNEW SHE WAS REAL. Laying it all out like this makes me look like a sad and lonely human being who’s desperate for romantic human connection but cannot bring herself to meet new people and mingle with strangers (unless absolutely needed).

“Earth to Jeongie?” Jimin waves her hand on my face to catch my attention. “Ah, no. I passed out and did not have a dream. I couldn’t even remember falling asleep.” I explained, wiping my sweaty palms on my gray sweatpants. I wonder when I could tell her. About me dreaming about her. To be fair, I saw her face once in a dream and ever since then I couldn’t stop thinking about her and decided to just have her as the main person I could dream about. I did NOT intentionally craft her face in my head. She came in a legit dream! You know what? Why am I even trying to explain myself? I should just try to stop daydreaming about her voluntarily. Okay. Yes, yes. I nod to myself. “Why are you nodding?” Jimin tilts her head out of curiosity. “I’m just really excited about the food hehe. AND SPEAKING OF, HERE IT IS! Wow, that looks delish~!” Jimin just smiled at me like a mother. Babygirl I am NOT planning to be your child here. I want to be your lover girl. I wanna be the ‘Are you lost?’ to your ‘baby girl?’. I WANT TO BE YOUR BABY WITHOUT BEING YOUR CHILD! But then, I noticed it was just her endearing expression. I feel like a baby girl right now. Very much adored by a Karina Yoo, or should I say, Yoo Jimin. Hehe something everyone else can’t call BUT ME.

“You know, it’s kind of funny that we’re both Koreans eating at a Korean restaurant outside Korea for our first time eating out together,” I said while munching on some fermented radish. “That’s a lot of Korea, Jeo.” Jimin let out a chuckle, “But yes, it is kind of funny. I guess I just missed Korean food. And if you think about it, our nationality is something we both have in common. 동의하시나요? (Do you agree?)” I was taken aback. I have absolutely no idea what she just said. “Uhm. Y-yes? Please don’t speak Korean to me, Karina. I am a disgrace to our ancestors. I did not understand what you said, frankly.” As if on cue, the Koreans in that restaurant quickly turned their head in our direction and shot daggers at me. Like, thank you very much for judging me! You are not the first ones to see me as a disgrace! Also, is everyone on a hearing aid? How the did they hear me say it? Judge a ing tax evader or a murderer. NOT ME. Jimin looked very shocked as well. So shocked she lightly dropped her chopsticks. “Who is Karina? I am Jimin to you!” She complained. And here I thought she would also judge me for not knowing two s about our national language but she was more worried about me calling her Karina. You really are something, huh? “Hey, you called me MJ when you usually call me Jeongie!” I countered. “Oh you like that nickname now do you?” Jimin leaned forward, both elbows on the table, and hands pressed up her chin. “And if I call you 자기야 (babe)?” I know it was something suspicious because how could it not be when she’s wiggling her eyebrows like that? “You know what, I’ll leave it to your imagination. Also, I already told you I do not know Korean. So you better not call me anything weird!” I said as I continued eating. “Are you not rejecting the thought?” I shrugged and replied, “Hmm I trust you, I guess.” Leaving a very happy Jimin twisting noodles on her chopsticks.