Wow, Koreans.

The girl in my dreams is our new student?

I walk inside the classroom finding a seat. 'Ah, a seat at the very corner of the room. Perfecto~' I thought with a smile plastered on my face. I feel satisfied. Too satisfied... Something will go wrong. I am very happy... The universe probably has an unfortunate event right up its sleeve for me. I carefully make my way to the seat until my body halted at the feeling of an arm around my shoulder, weighing me down like my feet are stuck on drying cement. I suddenly catch a smell of a soft yet dark perfume, probably an expensive one by the thickness of it. This is not my perfume. I am not bougie enough. I start to panic. Everything happening right now is slowly coming to my senses. There is someone behind me. I slowly first look at the hand resting and dangling on my right shoulder, soft and clean-looking hands. I then try to look to my left to see whose body it is towering over me. But who am I kidding? I already knew who it was from the start. "I told you to wait up right?" Karina said smiling at me cheekily.

I freeze, not sure what to do as Karina leans in close. Her warm breath flutters against my skin as she whispers into my ear, making my heart race. "I have something to show you," she murmurs, her voice sending shivers down my spine. I can't help but feel drawn to her magnetic presence, your body responding to every inch of her closeness. Slowly, I allow my body to relax, basking in this intoxicating feeling. As if responding to your mood, Karina's touch becomes more intimate, her fingers your neck and cheek as her breath tickles my lips.

Yes, again, Karina is indeed sitting next to me in class. Just what the hell is going on? Is God playing with me? Did he think I was too miserable alone that he HAD to put the girl in my dreams (literally) in real life? As I said, Karina is a stellar student who is usually focused during classes. At least from the classes I've been with her...one. But hey! I'm not distracted AT ALL. I am focused. Put in the work, put in the hours, and take what's ours!! After a dreadful one-hour lecture, we had a 5-minute break before finishing up the last 25 minutes. Karina leaned into me and whispered, "Hey what's your iMessage? I told you I had something to show you." I looked at her questionably. Did she just smoothly ask for my number or does she actually want to show me something? I gave it to her and not even a second passed she sent me a message. 


Karina: "Hey. This is Rina. Minjeong right?" I read it rolling my eyes because obviously, it's me. But when I took a glance at her, she was fidgeting and tapping the side of her phone looking nervous. And so I replied, 
MJ: "Hey, yeah it's me. You seem nervous are you okay?" I looked at her in a peripheral view so it wouldn't be too obvious. 
Karina: "Ah yes. I'm afraid of random people getting my number. I've had some cases before. I don't even know how they got it.". 
MJ: "Ohh. Maybe because everyone at uni is attracted to you. :P"
Karina: “ :/ ” 

I noticed Karina's cheeks flush when you tell her everyone at the university is attracted to her. Her expression softened as she glanced up at me, a shyness in her eyes. She quickly looks back down at her phone and sent me a screenshot showing her iPhone lock screen. It's a photo of us taken in class today, her arm over my shoulder and our faces close to each other. She looked pretty. I looked like I was out of it. When exactly did she take this? Was I that shocked at what happened to even notice? Her soft smile appeared again as she typed, 

Karina: "I thought this picture was cute." 

My heart skipped a beat at the sight of our faces so close together, and I was unsure of what to say to her. Not long after, Karina realized it might have been too sudden and that I might be uncomfortable given that we JUST met. It looks like she owns me. But if that’s the case then own me, baby girl. Now, just what the was I thinking just now? It hasn't been 24 hours and I’m already being like this. 

Karina: “Is it too sudden? Is it okay to have us as my wallpaper? Would that be a bother to you? I mean, this is just first friend privilege… you know?”
MJ: “Oh, uhm. Sure? I am kind of worried about the attention I’m getting because of you. But I think I’ll be fine…right? Right, Karina? 
Karina: “I will protect you MJ! I am your knight in shining armor!”
MJ: “You’re silly. Is that what you wanted to show me? The class will be resuming soon. Also, thanks for texting instead of talking IRL. You know how people would react :”) ” 

“Okay, class get your reading on Asian Cultures and Societies, and let’s go back where we left off.” The professor announced. I turn to Karina, already looking at me with a sorry face. Hurriedly, she faced her phone and typed like a keyboard warrior sending me a message right before the professor called her name. 

Karina: “Are you amused by me, Mj? Hahahaha. I initially had a different picture to show you. But I’ll send it after class. Also, I understand Jeongie. I mean, this is a pretty face. Of course, people would envy that I’m talking to you. HAHAHA Kidding. I don’t like using my phone during lectures, so I’ll ttyl Jeongie~”

J-jeongie? Where the did that come from? WHY DO I LIKE IT? “So! Asian cultures and societies! Ms. Karina Yoo, since you’re from South Korea, and this is NOT South Korea, how are you finding the difference in culture here? How are you adapting?” The professor said smiling from ear to ear.

Of course, he loves it when a foreigner is in his class and it fits his lesson plan. I know, because he did it to ME. Yes, your Minjeong is also from the south of Korea. I let out a chuckle knowing that the professor’s new target is the ever so lovely Karina Yoo. Karina noticed and gave me a quick glare before facing the professor again. I watched her stand straight. Hair flowing down her shoulders and bangs that are neatly messy. Is that possible? I then notice her beauty mark move up as she curves her lips into a smile, eyes glistening as she begins to recite. “Although the countries are significantly different, I think there are shared cultures that can be found within Asian countries and communities…” Karina continues to explain and, I am utterly drawn to everything she’s saying. How she’s saying it, the way she presents herself, her hand gestures, everything. She sounded so smart and well-collected. It was mesmerizing. And I’m pretty sure everyone in that room was mesmerized as well. I zoned out. *Queue: bags by Clairo* No, because how is the song actually playing in the background? How is everything in slow motion? Is God playing God with my life? Out of billions of people, he chose to play with mine specifically. PEOPLE ARE DYING, KIM! 

The muffled noise starts to dissipate and I hear “…Minejong.” and a couple of “Ooohs” from the class. Everything became so loud and I was back to reality like a protagonist from an a24 film, “Huh?” I muttered. “I said, moving here and being in this university is relatively easier with my newfound friend, Minjeong, beside me.”, Karina said confidently. Not even facing me to see my reaction. I know this was some kind of revenge she thought of when I chuckled earlier.
 

I looked around cautiously, seeing how everyone reacted. There were mumbles, sounds of gossip, and a very loud “YIEEEEEE” from a student who was not even our classmate! Motherer is just an NPC sitting in for this class. Like, okay, Jared? Or whatever the your name is. Karina smirked and let out a huff as she sat down. Basically telling me that’s what you get for laughing at me. Like, wow me then! The tips of my ears turned red, palms sweating. ‘God help me, God help me.’ I whispered under my breath, my whole body shaking.
 

“Ms. Kim!” GOD WHY “Oh how it makes perfect sense since it’s your second year here and you’re Korean too. It’s nice to see you accommodating your friend here. And since we’re on you right now, please tell me which theory you wanna discuss from the reading and tell me how it is relevant up to this day. Cite some examples too.” The professor smiled. ‘ you, Karina Yoo. And me too for not reading.’ 

The class ended with the professor targeting me once again. Well, at least it’s over. I only have two classes today. Thank God. I can go back to my dorm and sleep before dinner. Weee~! I happily packed up and was ready to leave. I see Karina packing too. How do I do this… I poke her shoulder. Once… twice… “Hey, I’m gonna go home now. Do you still have class?” Karina looked up at me, “Hmm I have English class. I think it’s a requirement for us foreigners. But I reckon you’re done with it?” I nod. I was just about to leave when she held my hand stopping me from going. SWEATY HAND, MIND YOU. “Oh?” I looked back. “Say, I was hoping we could grab ice cream or maybe you’d fancy dinner? T-together? My treat. As a way of saying sorry for this class. It wasn’t my intention to have you grilled for the last 25 minutes of recitation.” Karina plastered a sorry face, looking like a guilty-looking retriever not knowing where to look. “It’s fine, Karina. I’m kind of used to that motherer. I lowkey think I’m smelling some microaggression from him. But you know, I digress. I just wanna pass.” I said, not even knowing I was word-vomiting in front of Karina. Would you look at that? This might be the most I talked to someone other than myself. Not that I think there’s something special about that fact… totally.

Karina was just there looking at me with those soft eyes. Like damn, what do you want from me? Kiss me I dare you. Says the who ran away from her earlier. “You can call me Jimin, Jeongie.” she smiled. Why did that make me feel fluttered? Why is there suddenly a butterfly garden made of glass in the pit of my stomach? IT’S JUST A NAME. But that does make me special, right? Like a little more than the mere commoners around us. “Wow, I feel special. Anyway, you have to go and I have to go. I guess we can have… ice cream. No! U-uhm dinner. Wait, no…” I struggle to choose. “How about both, MJ? Hm? Sound good?” she butts in. “Yes. Sounds good, Jimin.” Karina’s eye smile revealed itself when she heard me say her name. For the record, I liked it when she called me Jeongie more than MJ. 

As we were parting ways, I heard a ding on my phone. 

Jimin: *sent a photo* I meant to show you this :D *a picture of a velociraptor… Blue from Jurassic Park to be specific*
Jimin: *sent a photo* hihi *a picture of her blue velociraptor Funkopop collection from her room in Korea*
Jeongie: Cute. Crossing the street rn. TTYL.
Jimin: Take care :)