CHAPTER EIGHT

Introducing Kepton4
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER EIGHT

 

I was hoping this mess with Wendy would show up in the episode, honestly. Just appear on television for a minute, and Wendy's unexpected connection to Kepton4 would help get the band some gigs. Unfortunately, it would be just that. They would be labeled Wendy's old band, no matter if they were talented enough to be professionals by themselves. I bet Sooyoung would be furious with the gossip newspapers showing a montage featuring Wendy and the band, commenting on the new hot topic about the singer's past.

It was impossible to envision Wendy being part of Kepton4. The fives were born and raised in Gokseong, a county with a small population. They are about the same age, Wendy is only a year older, two years in Taeyong's case. The band's sound was similar to the albums she released in these years. Even so, I can't see her with the band. I didn't remember her at rehearsals in those few days that I accompanied them over a decade ago.

Maybe she joined the band later. However, it didn't make sense to add another vocalist when Sooyoung already had a powerful vocal to accompany the instruments. It was impossible to imagine the two sharing the microphone in a band.

“Don't talk like that,” Sooyoung reacted on stage.

The shock of the revelation coming from my favorite singer almost made me miss the conversation going on the stage. Sooyoung's speech was harsh, almost rude. Anyone who knew her well enough could feel that she was holding back her anger, trying to contain that emotion so she wouldn't say something that wouldn't be seen with good eyes.

"What way?" Wendy retorted. It looked like she didn't know what made Sooyoung angry.

She straightened in her chair. The expression on her face softened, I could even see a small smile forming. Her eyes blinked slowly. They were still fixated on center stage looking at the entire band. Wendy leaned her right elbow on the table, raising her forearm to rest her cheek in a clenched fist. I couldn't tell if she was relaxed about this reunion with Kepton4 or if she was trying to look like this event wouldn't affect her, as I know it was affecting the band members.

“Like you own us.”

“Come on, Soo-ah,” Soo-ah? What is it, does she think she can call Sooyoung by a nickname right now? “I was the vocalist and I wrote that song you just sang. Almost certainly I own something there, even after a few years apart.”

“Apart? You're not apart from the band, you left! You have no right.”

“Guys, let's hold back for a little,” Dahee interjected once more, I think she sensed that the conversation between the two could get out of hand. Even if the program was recorded and some things were edited to be broadcast on television, there was still the audience as a witness. Anyone there could talk about the horrible atmosphere between them, surely the studio didn't want Wendy's perfect image to be tarnished. “The production asked for some time to analyze this situation, in the meantime, we will continue with the schedule. Park Jinyoung-nim, explain to the people at home why you gave the green light to Kepton4. I saw you even got up from your chair at the very end of their presentation.”

“I liked the sound. The song has a vibrant energy despite the melodramatic lyrics. The instruments fit excellently. It had some flaws, but it's normal in a live performance, even more so with the nervousness of competing. The vocalist demonstrated marvelous vocal control; I think the song you chose helped to show this versatility in her voice. And I always like it when the band comes up with something authorial, it shows that they are not afraid to take risks, they are confident. Attitude is everything, especially in a rock band.”

“Dahee-ssi,” Sihyuk called, “As a good lover of drama and intrigue, I would like to change my vote. This band deserves to stay in the competition.”

“You can't change the vow,” she replied with a forced smile.

“Please, production! Let me change the vote this time,” he rubbed his hands together dramatically, almost as if he was pleading. “I bet viewers want to see this wonderful band on the TV show too.”

“You can't, my dear. The vote is immutable. You voted no, Jinyoung-nim voted yes, and Wendy-ssi is free to vote now.”

It was the end.

Wendy was ready to destroy their dream. If it wasn't before, surely Sooyoung arguing with her helped her finalize her decision. She probably waited to vote so as not to be accused of being unfair or unbiased without clarifying that they had a past together. I doubt they accused her of being unfair. If it were up to them, they would walk up and down that stage without mentioning their connection to Wendy. After all, the Kepton4 members kept this information a secret this whole time. They didn't tell me about it. I don't think they would mention this when registering for the competition as some kind of advantage.

The two monitors focused on Wendy with her left hand open, purposely showing the skull tattooed on her palm going towards the buttons on the table.

Green.

Green like the mountains that surrounded Gokseong County. Green like mint chocolate ice cream, Sooyoung's favorite flavor that Wendy said in an interview tastes like toothpaste. Green as the alien bird lost in space printed on my T-shirt and Sooyoung's water bottle in my hands.

Green means the band would move on to the next phase of the competition.

The camera showed the band in shock. They barely celebrated. The audience cheered with screams and applause. I couldn't say if it was spontaneous or because they needed to do it every time a band made it to the next stage. The only one who looked truly happy was Sihyuk. Still lit in red, he bounced up and down in his chair, clapping his hands in exaggerated motions. I wanted to grab this man's neck.

“As I said, I'm voting with my heart. If it were for the technical part, it would be a no. They were almost perfect,” Wendy looked at Park Jinyoung-nim as if agreeing with what the man said a few minutes ago. “This song was one of my first compositions. They should play it perfectly for as long as they've known it. I haven't listened to any progress since the last time I heard them play it. That was when… six years ago? But it wouldn't be fair to evaluate the past, they were certainly one of the best bands to play today.”

She completed five years of career last year, doing a mini tour of some districts to celebrate the date. I tried to go to one of the two performances she gave in Incheon, but it was time for finals tests to close out the college semester. I was never able to go to any of her concerts, even though I lived in the region where she performed the most. Her tour dates always coincided

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter