CHAPTER TWO

Introducing Kepton4
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TWO

 

I think that even the most sluggish person in the world would realize that there is something behind the band's disaffection with Wendy. They are from the same county, which is considerably small. They are similar in age and played in the same pub. I can't imagine anything other than a fight for the spotlight, with her getting the upper hand. It is possible that both she and the band were playing on the day that the music producer was at Splitz when he ended up choosing the future muse of rock. It would be a justifiable reason for all this resentment.

When I heard that they were going to be in the band competition, the same one that Wendy was going to participate in as a judge and coach, I had the instinct to look at Sooyoung before getting up.

She would be a big problem.

Wendy was one of those one-in-a-million cases. Someone who worked when everything could go wrong, but it didn't. It hurts to admit that in recent years rock has been stagnant. No band could score more than a song or two without disappearing soon after. And success was limited to the target audience. Each year this music genre lost ground to Pop, Electronica, or any other genre that wasn't afraid to reinvent itself – or repeat itself – to always be at the top.

At 19, she was launched into the world as the new face of modern rock. With a powerful and versatile vocal, she hits high notes and holds them for seconds like it's something normal anyone could do. Her songs were influenced by alternative rock with a slight jazz influence, ranging from upbeat songs to slow ballads. Some songs made you want to jump, dance and get into a mosh pit. Others made you feel loved, or miserable with no chance of finding the love of your life.

In addition, the visuals and marketing on top of it were as thoughtful as the production of the songs. They knew how to take advantage of her honey-blonde hair and big eyes, as well as her full cheeks, to dress her in designer clothes and flashy jewelry, avoiding the classic rocker look. I remember watching videos of her performing in which she wore a knee-length white jacket with details around the edge that resembled flames. Later I found out that it was a reference to the Hokage, from a manga called Naruto, and that became a topic for weeks. Wendy has walked the runway a few times, despite being small, when she became an ambassador for a jewelry brand. She made small appearances in drama tv shows and has already voiced a character in a video game. They made sure she was everywhere.

She became a true commercial success.

Wendy's newest album had a more exclusive Rock/Pop feel, which ended up leading her to fans who spent all day begging for more of her music. She was on all the radio stations, sometimes I got tired of listening so much. Sooyoung was always the first to react and change the kombi's radio station when her song was playing, several times a day. It would be easier if she sat in the front seat instead of climbing over me to reach the front panel and change the radio station. And as I already knew, she had the final word on the band. Seeing that reaction to just one song made me think about not talking about who would be judging Kepton4 throughout the show. Sooyoung might as well have dropped out of the competition right then and there.

Despite this behavior, she seemed to be the one who took the tour the most seriously. I hate to say that a band starts with the vocals, but in this case, it was true. Without a doubt, she was the one who hoisted the band's flag and dominated the stage with attitude and voice. There would be no Kepton4 without Sooyoung singing and she knew it.

The fact that she was the only woman in the band facilitated our rapprochement. It didn't matter if the four of them had known each other since they were little, a friendship between girls is different. The two of us created an intimacy because of things that only she or I could understand. The famous girl thing. So, it was easier for her, and for me too, to say a few things about the band without fear of being misunderstood. This happened a lot among the boys. It was also a relief to talk nonsense to her, things like a new lipstick from my favorite brand or how a haircut from someone passing by on the street was an attack on the human eye.

“I hate it when Sehun complains about the food,” she said as she closed the bedroom door. “It looks like a baby that will never grow up.”

"At this time of night, I don't even care what he says."

"He only talks to you like that because you don’t fight with him."

“I have a feeling he will call Aunt Yoojung crying if I do that.”

“And then she will call your mother, and your mother will call you.”

We both laugh.

She was right about Sehun. He was the most immature, for lack of a better description. He complained about everything and then some more. Something I hate. Except he's my cousin and it didn't take much effort to like him. It was obvious that he was the glue of the group, who united and maintained the friendship between the four. Sehun is humorous. Now and then he would strum a few notes on the ukulele he carried with him in the passenger seat. Probably thinking about some new composition. Our guitarist was the one who calmed Sooyoung down when she got irritated beyond normal.

That role was slowly shifting from him to me.

I think something is going on between Sooyoung and Sehun. I noticed his discreet touches on her arm or waist as we walked through the streets. While her gaze lingered a few seconds longer looking at him. It's strange to admit that my cousin is handsome. He is tall and fit enough to not be called scrawny. We both have the same dark brown hair, not too long, usually slicked back with setting gel. He's trying hard to look like a '90s guitarist. My hair goes a little past the shoulder line, always neatly parted down the middle. Our eyes are also dark brown and we have thick eyebrows, but well defined and expressive. In a way, there is a slight similarity between the two of us.

Taeyong is the quietest, and a littl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter