Chapter 8: Rhapsody

Tempo Rubato

It was only after I got home that I managed to review the piece Nichkhun and I played together this early evening. It was a Mozart, and while I usually strayed away from Mozart, this particular piece intrigued me. Nichkhun had mentioned it a piece for Mozart's student, a piece that was for fun. The great classical composer reserved the D major key for happy compositions, I knew that in theory, though it didn't hit me when Nichkhun handed me the piece. The piano sonata, and his D major compositions usually required a degree of virtuosity given the gallant, light and brilliant style the piece demanded. With all these factors to consider, one still had to play with a refined sense of technicality, Nichkhun, however, seemed to ignore many of those refinements required.

 

The opening Allegro con spirito began with a trilling fanfare that I was honestly caught off-guard at the intensity of Nichkhun's playing. I knew he was amazing, but experiencing him first-hand was so much more that words would never do him justice. He played with such a witty grace, that as always I am left envious of his style.

 

For the first time in my life I felt like I was getting closer to that dream I've always had. I wanted to play on stage so badly it hurt. Nichkhun gave me a sense of that dream, a reminder that it still wasn't too late for me to accomplish that dream. I had to find a way to thank him.

 

But perhaps at another time as my stomach gave a soft grumble.

 

Talking to Nichkhun as he walked me home was too much of a dream come true, that while I wanted to stop for some food, I had no idea how to bring it up. Plus, I didn't want to make it look like I was asking him out, no matter how tempting it was given the circumstance.

 

I laid my book back down on the table and pulled on a jacket and stuffed my wallet and keys into my pocket. The quick bubbling theme of the sonata was still in my head, but instead of the way I knew it should have been played, Nichkhun's vibrant hand played through my ears. Personally, it wasn't such a bad thing to hear.

 

As usual I found myself at Cafe 2AM, Yewon and Yoojin didn't seem to be here even though Changmin was on sax tonight- or at least, that was his usual schedule. I found a seat on the bar and Ian popped right next to me.

 

It's open mic tonight.” he said, smiling enthusiastically.

 

I nodded in acknowledgement though I wasn't really sure what he meant in my context. Open mic was was Ian and his new composition night, and my brows furrowed a little suddenly confused. “Sched changes?”

 

Yeah, didn't you see the sign outside? Anyway, glad you're here, I guess your department's the only one not swamped with requirements. Weird.”

 

I looked around me to see Ian's point. The cafe was running a slow night and the only people here were were either from the Piano department or the Production department. “I'm guessing the stage is all yours tonight?”

 

He laughed, “When did I ever take the stage? Nah, I'm trying to get Minji up there, but we'll see if she's in a good mood.”

 

You and your friends.” I said shaking my head.

 

Hey, Minji is very talented.”

 

I know. I kinda envy her for having someone like you.”

 

Ian's smile was soft and gentle, “You know you have me too. I believe in you, as cheesy as that sounds, I know you'll do just fine. The only difference between you and Minji is that you think too much and refuse our help, Minji just likes the attachment.”

 

Before I could even reply, the bar lights went down and the stage lights lit up focusing on the one person I was not expecting (or wanting) to see. Jay looked perfectly comfortable on stage in his usual attire, less the hideous pink hoodie he loves wearing so much. As much as I hated to admit it, Jay looked very comfortable on stage- no, it was the other way around, it looked as if the stage was made for him. He demanded attention without even having to do anything yet, and I hate to admit how impressed I already am.

 

Of course that image of Jay on stage remained nothing more but an illusory image, for as soon as he noticed me watching, he winked at me. As if that wasn't enough, he tilted the mic slightly towards me and nodded slowly, holding my gaze for as long as he can.

 

By now I have gotten used to Jay Park's shamelessness. I've managed to work out the convolutions of his brain somehow to know that his playful banter was just exactly that. Was it cute? Some girls seemed to think so. As for me, I preferred my men gentle with a silent strength in them. What I needed was a piano, not synthesizers.

 

Still my eyes remained on stage and Jay didn't even need to introduce himself, moving on directly to his song choice. Something felt rather off, and that was when I noticed a Production professor sitting directly in front of the stage. So that was what Ian meant by my department being the only one who didn't have exams this week.

 

The music started and a beat I often hear playing from Ian and Jay's room burst out from the speakers. It was much more powerful now in its final mix, and Jay's explosive choreography added even more impact.

 

I was on my way to heaven

then she brought me down with a smile

the scent of her perfume, black leather

one look I traded God for her eyes

 

What do I do? Love her

But she's a demon, she's a demon

I'll trade it all, my soul

'cause she's a demon

 

Wherever it was Jay pulled his lyrics from sent a goosebumps forming all over my arm. It was simple enough, but perhaps it was that honest simplicity, that rawness in his lyrics that created that effect. Curiosity was another demon and I had to admit this much, I wondered who Jay could be singing about if ever he was.

 

I said I had to let this go

No sense in burning for eternity

That's why she said, grabbing me, pulling me

telling me she's all mine

 

I was trying to go and save my soul

but loving you really takes its toll

You're the only single name I know

must be glued together 'cause I can't let go

I tried to leave but I ain't getting away

No wonder your eyes are red in every picture we take

'cause you're a demon

why you so evil to me

but I love it so damn, why didn't I see

you're a masterpiece gone wrong

a wreck waiting to happen

the grim reaper might as well go wait in the casket

not a human being but baby you're a spirit

I'm a super hero but you're just stronger

super villain

the best team in the league with you I can't win

heartbeat won't die my love's whatever can see

so let me throw again what I still believe

baby you're the finest demon I've ever seen

 

I never understood rap before despite its mainstream attention, but Jay may have just explained to me without even meaning to. It was just a blur of color and light as he performed, but something in me had definitely changed even though I didn't realize it for what it was. Needless to say, the whole crowd was extremely impressed with Jay and as he took a bow, his eyes met mine again, only this time I looked away.

 

Why did I look away? Well, you see, well, imagine Jay after a very vigorous performance. Sweat I didn't mind, ragged breathing I didn't mind, it was the way his eyes were suddenly piercing that I sent lumps in my throat.

 

I had thought I was safe from Jay Park after the whole of the Production class performed. Ian was smooth and suave much unlike his usual laidback self, and Minji, I didn't even know she could elicit such emotions as she sang tonight. After the blur of a program, I followed Ian and Minji out hoping to catch them so we could all walk home together, but when did life ever cooperate with me?

 

Jay was already by the door as soon as I came out, and his hand suddenly grabbing my elbow sealed that night's fate. “Ian's walking Minji home, looks like it's you and me again tonight.”

 

Before I could answer, my phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out to see a text from an unknown number. Let's work on your Chopin tomorrow =) -N. It was the smiley face that exponentially increased the magnitude of that message. Feeling in a much better mood now I turned to face Jay with a silly grin plastered on my face.

 

You look happy.” he said, a touch of annoyance present in his voice.

 

I am.” I nodded.

 

He started walking and I followed him, the skip in my step eventually had me walking a few paces in front of him, and the rhapsody I was feeling overtook my better judgment. “Jay,”

 

He answered with a positive hum.

 

I could be considered pretty, right? At least, you think I am, right?” I asked, aware of the shamelessness, yet I didn't care. I couldn't care.

 

Beautiful.”

 

This brought another bounce in my step and I continued, “I'm a nice person, right?”

 

Most of the time, usually I'm the exception.”

 

I ignored that and went on with my little tirade, “You could say I'm smart, yes? Talented, all that stuff,”

 

He laughed and it was low and breathy and it almost felt as if he were laughing directly behind me, almost as if he were holding me closer than appropriate. “You know you're gorgeous, what's your point?”

 

I've decided.”

 

On what?”

 

I'm gonna make my movie moment come to life.”