Chapter 5: Furiant

Tempo Rubato

 

One lesson I've eventually learned, was that you'll never know when you'll come across The One so it's best to always go out of the house looking your best. That explained why I was in a white girly blouse and a floral skirt with my brown calf-high flat boots. Of course I already knew who The One was for me, so from now on I prepare myself in case I come across him.

 

I woke up feeling good today, and I think class would be a lot more productive for both me and Maestro Arrau. Especially after last night. Everything kept replaying in my head, Nichkhun knew who I was! He knew me, he even said I was talented!

 

Ah. My heart wouldn't still down at all. So is this what it was like? You feeling like you're ten feet into the air on a regular basis? You thinking that the world is already so much brighter and that nothing could ever go wrong?

 

Good morning, love.”

 

I take that back. It seems that when you think nothing could ever go wrong, it's exactly what happens, but I guess that's a given when you live next to Jay Park.

 

I didn't even bother responding or even looking at him as I locked the door to my apartment. Of all days Jay decided to go to class early (read: at all) he chose now. I walked past him and down the staircase and off to class. I could hear him walking behind me, and I ignored any and all attempts he had at making conversation. Why oh why would I even want to talk to Jay Park in the first place?

 

You look nice today.” he said again.

 

As usual his words go through one ear and out the other as I maintained my pace. There was a lot of practicing to be done today, as with every other day. I had to go see Junsu and Taec at the symphony practice too and after that I had to go work on my midterms piece some more. Busy day for me. No time at all for Park Jaebeom.

 

Let me guess, trying to look cute for Khun? Tough competition you have.”

 

I ignored him some more and just continued walking towards the university. The good part was it was only a few blocks away, the bad part was Jay goes to the same building I do. That meant three blocks and a whole university to walk through with him at my heels. Why did I hate him so much? It wasn't really hate as it was an extreme aversion towards him. There was just something about him that does not fit with me and my ideals on how a proper man should act. Certain events from first and second year didn't help his case either- living next to him for the same time period was even worse. Somehow it seemed as if I was the only one with a brain in these parts as every other girl I knew or overheard saw some magic in Jay Park's eyes. What magic that was I don't know nor do I want to even find out. I'm pretty sure it deals with the forbidden type anyway.

 

Go away Jay Park.” I said. I knew it was futile, Jay Park never leaves when you wanted him too. Especially when you wanted him too. It was like he had this homing system that hones in on exactly the person that wanted his presence the least and he sticks to said person like a magnet. Here that thing about opposite poles attracting would refer to the Physics of it...not the...other...connotation of it.

 

Are you still not over that incident?” he asked, almost too innocently.

 

What is this incident we talk about? Well, there are actually a few that Jay may be referring to. The Incident being a collection of random and unwanted moments that pry into my brain at the worst of times. For all I know Jay could be referring to last night, something that had equally kept me up. Why Jay, why must you ruin my life at every possible moment I try to make something out of it?

 

I cannot believe you actually tried that move on Khun last night. Never knew you even had it in you. Do you even know how many girls already tried that? There's a reason why it doesn't work. ”

 

Jay, stop acting like we're friends. We're not. We are simply neighbors. “What's it to you Jay?” I spat out. That was when it hit me. Did Jay sabotage last night?! And did I just unwillingly admit to staging the whole thing?!

 

UGH.

 

I spun on my heel to face him. He was wearing this ridiculous pink hoodie I can never understand why he loved using so much. The same amused smirk was on his face, his ears red and perked up like the imp that he's possible of becoming. Said smirk reshaped itself into a smile and Jay jogged the remaining distance between us, flinging an arm around my shoulder and turning me around with him as he dragged back towards campus.

 

See love, Khun has a fanclub, and you in the club is just weird. You don't seem the type.”

 

I elbowed him on the ribs, but he just takes the blow (sadly) like a man. He still didn't let go, and I was tempted to give him another strike but he spoke again.

 

You're not going to stalk him again are you?”

 

That was it! I wriggled away from his grasp, flailing my arms hoping to hit sensitive spots, but Jay was a lot more agile than I was a sharpshooter and he dodged every would-be blow with ease. I keep forgetting he was a dancer, he sure did not look the part on most days.

 

Yah Park Jaebeom!” I screamed. Loud. The kind with a shrill and hysterical voice.

 

Yeah babe, that's my name though I'd prefer you screaming it in a different context.”

 

Why this...arrogant, big-headed, conceited, deranged, egotistic, full-of-himself, g...g... haughty, insufferable, jerk!

 

Any and all events during this minor episode shall henceforth be referenced in the future as The Day Park Jaebeom Received His First Alphabet Insult, or TDPJRHFAI for short even though the acronym does absolutely no justice to the event and it's probably a lot more diffucult to remember than the whole name itself.

 

Jay should have considered himself lucky that I was wearing a skirt that day, because had I been in more approriate attire, he would have been at the receiving end of both my fists and my feet. I was not a violent person by nature, mind you, there was just something innate about Park Jaebeom that brought out my most unlady-like qualities. He was that constant nuisance of a presence that I could never divest myself of completely.

 

He was, to put it in terms I worked with best, a cacophony of sounds not of this natural world. Ugh. Why do I even bother, even with terms I work with everyday there was just no defining the atonal Jay Park.

 

 

While Brahms' Hungarian Dance no. 5 was nothing like a song for the frustrated, it did require a lot of energy and spiritidness as with a Furiant. Brahms had written a series of Hungarian dances to express a sense of nationality and pride. It was expressive, vibrant, fiery, and played rapidly- almost like someone I knew.

 

My fingers danced across the keyboard, pounding on the first few meters with a rush I don't think I've ever felt before. In my mind, the allegretto portion would me pounding my fists on one Park Jaebeom. I can imagine the velvet covered mallets inside the grand piano pounding on the strings with such a fury it was exhilarating. Brahms might frown on my use of imagery, but if it works, then it should work right?

 

I was out of breath by the time I reached the last meter. Slowly, I lifted my hands from the keys and settled them on my lap. Maestro Arrau was quiet on his seat next to the piano, and I worried he found my playing unsatisfactory again. A soft smile was on his lips and I braced myself for my evaluation.

 

Did something happen?” he asked.

 

I shook my head slowly. Nothing significant, at least.

 

Hmmm...well, whatever it is I hope this keep up. Congratulations my dear. You'll be prepared enough for you finals review. Now let's move on to that Liszt we were working on...”

 

Wait...that was a good thing...right?