Chapter 4: Tremolo

Tempo Rubato

 

Club 2AM is the place to be after a hard day's work, actually, it's just the place to be. It was the dinner shift, and on weekdays, it was more of a regular cafe than a club. So, shouldn't they change the sign to Cafe 2AM on the weekdays?

 

It was a literal off-the-wall place, the entrance to the cafe being an actual hole in the wall installed with doors and security systems. The windows were large glass panes with a view outside, very effective in setting the mood both during the day and the night. The atmosphere right now was very relaxed. Metal chairs and table sets were arranged around the half-filled room, and a light chatter added to the university feel. The stage was empty at the moment, but a few music students were sure to hit it up in a little while.

 

Because it was a Wednesday, Yewon, Yoojin, and I would meet up here for our customary Wednesday meetings. We were in the middle of dessert and discussing the Winter Concert line-up and concert list when Yewon dropped her fork back into her French Toast.

 

Yah!” she whispered loudly, slapping my arm with her hand, “Yah!”

 

What?” I asked.

 

It's Mr. Movie Moment!” Yewon hissed. All three of us snuck a glance towards the entrance, and as Yewon had said, Nichkhun came walking in with Ian?! My neighbor Ian Choe?! They knew each other?! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

 

Okay, breathe. Clam down. Relax. Oh goshdarn it, my mind was in a panic. Ian knew Nichkhun! Already all sorts of ideas were flooding my brain, some good, some I'm not quite sure, others just donwright ridiculous. The point was, I think I have finally found my link!

 

Hey, isn't that your neighbor?” Yoojin asked, pointing towards Ian and Nichkhun a few tables away from us.

 

He is.” I replied.

 

This is your chance! Take it!” Yewon beamed, slapping my arm repeatedly. “Take it! Take it! Recreate a movie moment now!”

 

Recreate a movie moment?! What the heck was that supposed to mean?! I glared at Yewon and Yoojin, it seemed as if they already had a plan in mind with the way the two of them were looking at me. I did not like that look. Not one bit.

 

Take your drink and spill it on his shirt, bump into him and accidentally spill your drink, then don't forget to talk! Make sure Ian knows it's you so he can introduce the two of you. Yah, why aren't you wearing make-up now?!” Yewon whispered, she suddenly pinched my cheeks, and I saw Yoojin pull out a tube of lipgloss from her pocket.

 

Aish this girl,” Yoojin muttered, “You're so lucky to have us as friends!”

 

Lucky is a very relative term. In the end I found myself standing awkwardly from our table, my iced tea in my hands. I still had my reservations on the effectivity of this idea, and I had so much to lose should it fail, but Taec and Junsu's words resounded in my head and I'm terribly convinced by their arguments.

 

Perhaps, what I needed, was to fall in love.

 

Making up my mind finally, I squared my shoulders and strode towards Nichkhun's table. I took deep breath as I avoided other people's heads and chairs, chanting Relax over and over again. I can do this, I can do this...

 

This could be my chance, one that I might never get ever again. This would go down in the annals of my life as that one day I met the man of the dreams. This is the moment, and I was determined to make this work.

 

I strode forward more confidently this time as I zeroed in on my target. Nichkhun was oblivious of what I was about to do, and that bode well for me. I felt bad about staining his white dress-shirt, but what had to be done, had to be done. I'm sure we can all laugh about this in the future anyway. I wonder what he was talking to Ian about- actually, I wonder how they even knew each other in the first place. That, and how long and how well did they know each other. I was definitely curious, and I was definitely going to find out soon.

 

I took one more cautious step making sure I didn't collide with any chairs or tables, or worse, other people before the deed was done. I took another deep breath. Three more steps.

 

Three...

 

Two...

 

One...

 

I managed to get my feet to play clumsy tonight and snag on one of the chair legs in the vicinity, what I had not planned on happening, however, was colliding with another body as I tried to angle myself properly as I targeted Nichkhun.

 

And so the sensation of falling has never been as sensational as this. A sharp tugging at my ankle, then another jab at my midsection, and my glass was slowly falling from my hand and towards Nichkhun, and I...I was left to freefall on my own.

 

Funny thing, falling. It's always a new sensation everytime whether you meant to do it or not. The concept of it being a natural law of Physics only reinforces the fact that it is inevitable. Falling is unavoidable, we all fall one way or another. Maybe sometimes, we try too hard to fall? In retrospect perhaps this one moment of clarity would mean something more, but the me right now would fail to see the design of how fate, destiny, whatever you choose to call it, works.

 

My breath gets knocked out of me as my shoulders touched the floor, but to my surprise, instead of a sharp blow to my body, all there was was warmth and the rhythm of a heartbeat under my hands. A slow staccato beat...thump-thump.

 

It was over before I knew it, and I was being lifted off this body under me. I was about to thank my savior, but the stark realization of who it was felt so much like a cold slap, or something like the flooring being suddenly pulled from under your feet.

 

Jay Park was dusting himself off as he stood there in front of me, he didn't seem to be affected by this whole fiasco...at least not yet. My eyes quickly swept across the room to look for Yewon and Yoojin, and the two girls both gave me a thumbs up...

 

Well, at least I get to apologize to Nichkhun now.

 

Are you okay?”

 

I swear Nichkhun's voice was the sweetest thing you will ever hear and I slowly turned to face him, Jay Park now forgotten. Concern and worry was palpable in his eyes and voice and already my heart was beating wildly in my chest.

 

His white dress-shirt was soaked, and the reason for going through all this comes flooding back to me. “Omo! I'm so sorry! I'm so clumsy!” I said, stumbling a little with my speech.

 

Nichkhun just smiles at me softly and shakes his head, “It's nothing, are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?”

 

I shake my head. “I'm not.” And because it was the right thing to do, I looked behind me and towards Jay to apologize and ask if her was okay, but Jay was already on the table sitting down talking to Ian about something else.

 

It's a good thing I brought a spare shirt.” I heard Nichkhun say, and I turn back to face him. “Where are your friends?”

 

I look around the room again, towards our table, but oddly enough there was no sign of either Yewon or Yoojin. “Just me...I guess...” I answered.

 

Sit with us, it's cool.” I heard Ian say. I sent him a gracious smile, and took the vacant seat between Jay and Nichkhun with Ian across me.

 

It was awkward on the table while Nichkhun was in the men's room changing, considering we actually knew each other. Ian was busy with his laptop, so I was assuming he had come here for some dinner before running back to his studio. He had one set up in his (and Jay's) apartment too, but maybe (quite possibly) he preferred the ones in their department. Jay was just picking off of Ian and Nichkhun's food. I was confused once again, did Jay know Nichkhun too? And if he did, how close were they?

 

Nichkhun finally came back and resumed his seat, I felt embarrassed sitting there, like I was intruding in on something I wasn't involved in. The three of them didn't seem to be eating anything much...just a few sandwiches and some drinks.

 

Oh right, Khun, you haven't met her have you?” Ian started, he was about to introduce us, but Nichkhun cut him off.

 

I know who she is.” he said. I think my heart just stopped beating as soon as he uttered those words. Nichkhun knew who I was?!

 

You're Maestro Arrau's student, right? I heard you're very talented.”

 

Maestro Arrau said that? And Nichkhun remembered?! I felt like I was soaring ten feet into the air. I was flying, and there was nothing that could ever bring me down. Nichkhun knew who I was, and the world honestly felt like a better place. It was almost like the sound of Beethoven's Symphony no. 7. The Allegretto movement where everything becomes airy and light. A sudden forte in the dynamics of sound, that's how I was feeling at the moment.

 

Was this what Taec and Junsu, and even Maestro Arrau were telling me about? Was this what they had meant about putting emotion into music? Oh wow.

 

I think I now understood what people have been trying to tell me. I watched Nichkhun as he conversed with Ian about a piano track he they were working on. It was going to be one of Ian's semester-end projects and even now I could tell it was going to be utterly magnificent. Jay was adding in his own bits and pieces into the conversation. It was a little awkward being here, but Ian wouldn't let me leave seeing as how my two best friends just vanished into thin air.

 

It was when dinner ended that my fairy tale came to a close. Nichkhun and Ian had to return to the studio to wrap up recording, and I, being the non-intrusive person that I was, said that I would be headed home.

 

Are you going to be okay walking home by yourself?” Nichkhun asked, again my heart was a-flutter.

 

Jay can take her home.” Ian suddenly said.

 

I shot him a look, but I really didn't have a choice in the matter...Jay lived next to me. Even if he didn't voluntarily and/or consciously want to walk me home, there wouldn't have really been much of a difference.

 

Yeah, don't worry about it.” Jay answered, throwing an arm around my shoulders. “She'll be safe with me.”

 

Nichkhun considered this for a moment before hesitantly turning towards the other direction where Ian was already a few paces ahead. I smiled at him, telling him I was going to be fine, and waited until he was at a distance before elbowing Jay Park in the ribs.

 

What was that for?” he whined, “Hey, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have use of your elbows!”

 

I ignored him and started walking back to my apartment.