Chapter 2: Concerto

Tempo Rubato

 

The concert was being held in an open air amphitheater it the middle of the university grounds. It wasn't the most ideal location for a piano concerto given the acoustics of the surroundings, but the night was cool and suitably windy, and the music was sure to carry over the whole quad and well into the university proper. The evergreen pines, and cherry trees sent a sweet scent over the lawn as the wind blew across them. The rustling of leaves, however, were drowned out by the chatter of various music students, and spectators who came here for Nichkhun's performance.

 

Needless to say, Nichkhun was some local celebrity whose fan club spanned beyond the College of Music and to the whole university. Obviously, competition was harsh.

 

"I'm so excited about this.” Yewon gushed as she spread the blanket we brought with us over the grass.

 

I moved over to help her by taking the other end of the blanket and straightening it out. The grass was soft under my hands as I patted the music note-patterned sheet flat on the ground. “Did you ever find out what the setlist for tonight is?” I asked.

 

Yewon shook her head and turned to Yoojin who had our basket of refreshments hanging on her elbow. Yoojin shrugged as well, “Who, me? How am I supposed to know?” She answered, her voice gradually rising in pitch.

 

We all dropped the issue as we all took our seats on the spot we found. We weren't the closest to the stage, but we did manage to find a good area on the top of a slight hill overlooking the crowd. We had a clear view of the platform, though truth be told I was here for the music so seeing the musicians was not really a priority.

 

Well, fine, if I have to be completely honest, then yes, I would have liked to see one musician in particular, but let's face it, I was not about to brawn my way into the accumulating crowd downhill just so I get a nice view of Nichkhun playing the piano.

 

Fine. Maybe I would, but that's not really the point.

 

The point was, Nichkhun Horvejkul was out of my league, and I shouldn't even attempt to try and make friends with him, much less want to be more than friends with him, even if I wanted to. No matter how much I wanted to. Even more so because I really wanted to.

 

Nichkhun was this descended angel that graced all our lives with his presence along with the beautiful music that poured out of his fingers every single time he played the piano. The piano sang for him and not the other way around. Nichkhun coaxing the music out of his instrument was pure rapture to anyone who happenstance would come upon him, and that was one reason why we were all here now.

 

The concert was started off with a string quartet, two violins, a viola, and a cello. They were playing a rearranged version of the Allegreto movement of Beethoven's Symphony 7. It was well-rehearsed, that much was a given. Even from this distance I recognized almost all of the members in the quartet.

 

Ok Taecyeon and Jang Wooyoung were on first and second violins respectively, with Jung Jinwoon on viola. The cellist was another girl whose face was familiar to me, but her name escaped me. The four of them were regulars on this stage, they were also permanent members on the university symphony orchestra. Their conductor, also on stage tonight was Kim Junsu, one of the more popular music students, from the conducting department, though everyone knew, his other passion was singing.

 

After the first set, another quartet came up on stage. This time it was a woodwinds and brass jazz number with Lee Junho on oboe, Lee Changmin on trumpets, Jo Kwon on piccolo, and Hwang Chansung on bongos. Entertaining, yes.

 

To my side, Yoojin and Yewon were spazzing like the fangirls that they were. Yoojin has had this major crush on Changmin ever since that one night at Club 2AM where he plays sax, and Yewon on Taec ever since she laid eyes on him after Jonghyun broke up with her.

 

That was another reason why we were all here. The music was good and the musicians equally as good, sometimes even better.

 



 

 

My apartment was a little off campus in line with other dormitory buildings in the area. It was this four-storey building with no elevator, and a rusty fire escape. I made my way up the steep incline of the road that lead to it and headed straight for the staircase to the side. It was, I suppose you could say, good exercise since it was a walking distance from the college as well. Not that that interested me, just that it wasn't very convenient when you were very tired, and lived on the fourth floor.

 

When I finally did make it to the fourth floor, I was already out of breath and clutching at my chest. One would think I'd be used to it by now, but I don't know. There must be something utterly wrong with my heart that it can't take this kind of activity.

 

At the far end of the complex, the very last unit, was the place I have been calling home for the last three years of my life. And right there on the floor, slumped in a messy heap, asleep, was my neighbor Park Jaebeom, more popularly known as Jay Park. Why he insists on this a.k.a I never understoond. I ignored him and walked past him, stepping over his legs, his not very long legs, that were sprawled across the narrow corridor. He didn't appear to be drunk, or beaten up, or in any immediate danger so I went on ahead and fumbled for my keys inside my bag.

 

Hey love.”

 

Ugh.

 

Well, at least he wasn't slurring. “Yes, Jaebeom-ssi?”

 

Ian's over somewhere else, studio. Unless he locked me out, or he's sleeping, don't have my key. Call him for me?”

 

If his tone of voice was meant to be cute and endearing then it wasn't working. This wasn't exactly the relaxing atmosphere I had been hoping for after a night of beautiful music from Nichkhun and the other members of the university symphony.

 

Why don't you call him yourself?” I spat, yes, I had meant to sound very annoyed and very impatient with him. Why didn't he call Ian himself?

 

Phone's dead.”

 

I knocked my head on my door. And it hurt. Please give me more patience. To all omnipotent beings out there, please give me the patience to deal with this lovely ray of sunshine you have bestowed upon me.

 

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and dialled Ian's number, when I got the confirmation that the call was made, I dropped my phone on Jaebeom's lap for him to use. He pressed the receiver to his ear and when I was sure Ian was already on the other line, I unlocked my door and flicked open the lights. Jay was already standing behind me when I turned back to him.

 

What?”

 

Thirsty.” he replied, handing me back my phone.

 

Please give me more patience.