Nocturne

Tempo Rubato

It was magical. Lights were hanging down the trees in vertical strips on almost every branch, some trees had paper lanterns in them illuminating the otherwise dark quadrangle. The lights sparkled down the long winded path through the Music Department courtyard as if the stars had descended down on Earth just for this night. The wind was cool on my face, but the atmosphere was warm. It was beautiful, it was very romantic, and I couldn't help but feel this sharp pang in my heart as couples walked by hand in hand, whispering sweet nothings to each other, exchanging murmurs of affection. I should have been happy, my first public performance had gone well, yet here I was feeling as if the world had ended and I was the last being left on Earth. The last being on Earth without someone to spend Christmas Eve with.

 

How was it that all my attempts at falling in love had failed so miserably? Was I one of those people who were born to be forever alone? Was I meant for a life of loneliness and envy towards all those couples on the street?

 

I walked across the quad, clutching my jacket closer to my body, Yewon and Yoojin were out on their dates with their now boyfriends, and I briefly passed by them as they walked down “Lover's Lane”. More now than ever, the feelings of wanting to fall in love were stronger, more demanding, tugging at my heartstrings and I couldn't even pause to think about it.

 

I found solace on an empty bench, and as I sat there torturing myself as all the couples walked by hand in hand. I found some sense of piece in knowing that my first public performance went by in such a blur that I didn't even know how well I did until Maestro Arrau took me aside to congratulate me. Khun did too, and it wasn't as awkward as I had thought it would be. I always knew Khun to be the gentleman, and his intentions had always been to help me, plain and simple. I appreciate my friends and their efforts to help me, and though it took a while before we actually sorted everything out, I felt good now.

 

Debussy's Clair de Lune was the theme of the night- my night at least. Moonlight, was what it meant, and as with Nocturnes, this piece was no different. It was soft, slow, lyrical, intimate, tinged with a slight melancholy and longing. It was as magical as this night was. There were no more words to even speak of this piece, because words have always been lacking, always flawed, but music could speak so much volumes of emotion, feelings words could never begin to define.

 

I sensed a presence sit next to me, and I didn't have to look to know who it was. The familiar warm atmosphere was creeping up on me, and I leaned back, looking up at the various lights that flooded my vision.

 

You were great out there, classical's not really my thing, but you were great.”

 

Thank you, Jay.”

 

Yeah, no problem. You made up with Taec and the others too. If I were you I'd make them suffer more.”

 

I smiled, “No real reason to. Besides, they made me realize something important.”

 

What's that?”

 

Falling in love does make you better, especially when you're in love with your music.”

 

He laughed a little, almost nervously, and I faced him as he spoke, “In love, huh.”

 

Again it was silent for an indeterminate amount of time, and we both sat there in comfortable tranquility as we listened to the distant sounds of classical music playing from somewhere inside the Music building. It was moments like these, little stolen moments of time with Jay that I realize just how much more I don't know about so many things in this world. He was different in so many ways, and it never occurred to me how much his presence became a permanent fixture in all of my stay here.

 

Thanks for coming,” I said, my voice coming out softer than I would have liked.

 

He hummed a reply then spoke, “Well, you asked me. How could I say no?”

 

I smiled again, and slapped him playfully in the arm.

 

So, who are you planning to stalk next?” The question left me wide-eyed and too stunned for words, and Jay just laughed even more. “Like, after Khun, who's next?”

 

I was speechless to say the least, but he seemed to enjoy this.

 

If I were you, I would've just stalked me from the get-go. I'm pretty sure I've more ways to get your blood pumping and ready for the performance of your life.” he answered his own question with a confidence only he had and I blinked in reply.

 

I didn't doubt him one bit.

 

So what happens next?” he asked.

 

I'm sorry, what?” I answered, confused.

 

I mean, obviously you're doing a good job with the piano and all, what happens next?”

 

Ah, well, I hoping to get more recognition and-”

 

No, I mean, right now, what do you want to do to celebrate?”

 

A celebration was not on my list of things to do, and I looked at him still as confused as ever. He just smiled, however, his ears tainted pink again, his eyes half-moon slits on his face. I never noticed it before, the way Jay smiled so carelessly. The way he was so relaxed.

 

You're not going to be boring, are you? Come on, live a little, this's why you don't have a boyfriend. You're beautiful, but you really need to get out more, and not with Yewon and Yoojin, definitely not with Taec and Junsu-”

 

The rest of his words were drowned out with just one word I never thought I'd hear him say. He must have noticed the look on my face and he stopped talking, his brow quirking up asking the question. “You said I'm beautiful.”

 

His eyes suddenly shifted to the left, and he opened his mouth only to close it again a couple of times before finding his words, “Y-yeah, so? I told you before, remember?”

 

Yeah, but,” I shifted on my seat to face him, bringing up my legs and crossing them on the bench, “I thought you were just being nice because I was being such a spazz.”

 

Jay mirrored my position, our knees brushed up against each other. He leaned his elbows on his knees, and spoke again, “I meant it that time too.”

 

Because Jay was looking so intently at me again, I had to look away to compose myself. I hated that I was so flustered this easily around him. Again with the awkward air that seemed to be so commonplace when we were together. I struggled for something to say, but my brain clocked out at the worst possible time, and I found myself blatantly staring at Jay Park. “How about you?” I asked, breaking the silence.

 

What about me?”

 

Don't you have plans tonight? Party, getting drunk, whatever it is you do. There's a party at AM, you're not going?”

 

He looked at me like I grew another head, “Why would I want to go there?”

 

Because I'm pretty sure it's much more entertaining than sitting here with me.”

 

He smiled, softly this time, “Nah, I'm good. 'sides, you're not so bad when you're not trying to kill me.”

 

I think I got used to you being so shameless.”

 

He scoffed, “Me? Shameless? Since when?!”

 

I rolled my eyes, “I'm starting to think you're enjoying this, Jay.”

 

Enjoying what?” There was a change in his tone that was too obvious not to miss. Earlier he was playful, this time he was serious again, like there was something he was undecided about.

 

It was the wrong question to ask because it implicated me in so many ways, something I seemed to do a lot when Jay was around. “Nothing.” I lied.

 

It's something. But yeah, I like you.”

 

It was so casual that I almost missed it if not for the the sudden punctuated staccato beats of my heart. He couldn't have meant it in a romantic sense, could he? Of course not, he was just being his usual incorrigible self and being as bored as he was tonight, I was the receiving end of all this attention.

 

Or at least, that's what I told myself.

 

Or at least, that's what I wanted to think. I kept telling myself that I wanted to make all my movie moments happen, yet here I was at the perfect stage balking at the idea. The lights were all right, and the atmosphere was perfect, it was a night I always dreamed of happening. I knew I didn't need to fall in love to play my music in a way it could reach into people's hearts, maybe what I wanted all along was just to feel and be able to let go of all my inhibitions. I couldn't make myself fall in love with someone I had thought was my ideal, but right now here I was considering an option I never would have imagined myself even thinking about.

 

With a deep breath, I leaned towards Jay, this time being the first to invade his personal space. He remained motionless, but his eyes were watching me closely, and before I had the chance to even think about backing out, I pressed my lips against his.

 

Or at least that was the plan.

 

What are you doing?”

 

Embarrassed at being caught in such a situation, I froze on the spot, unable to concentrate on anything else. The smirk on Jay's face was not helping, and I wanted to run away if not for Jay's hands wrapped firmly on my arms locking me in place.

 

M-making my movie moments come true?” I stuttered.

 

Jay's smirk grew even more and I wanted to just vanish into thin air. “I'm supposed to make those happen, not you.”

 

And before I could even process that, Jay kissed me. And like a powerful explosion from a surprise symphony, it was dissonant, and unstable, and everything Jay had meant to me. Dazzling, and poetic, an extremely impassioned allegro erupting from the perfectly set prelude to an exultant theme just bursting from a powerful orchestra. From the syncopated rushing of my heart, I knew that nothing was ever going to be the same again.

 


 



 

 

Hi all. This is finally done, don't be too disappointed =] This wasn't even planned to get this long. Originally, I only wanted 5-7 chapters for this, keep it short and sweet and simple, but it kinda dragged out in the middle, so sorry about that. And now it probably seems rushed, sorry again >.< This ficlet was something I just wanted to try out, something I didn't actually want to think too much about. I wanted to try something light, but I guess I failed at that too. >.< While I don't feel the way I felt about Unglam as I end this, its still a part of my collection, and I like this ficlet too. I've always wanted to write about music, and look forward to more music-themed ficlets in the future. Do look forward to a massive summer fic project from me <3

And so, even if this isn't as great as Unglam, I thank you all for giving this a chance.

 

-static.dream