07

Voice of my Heart

 

Myungsoo knew it was bound to happen eventually. He just didn’t think it would happen so soon. And in this manner. And because of Nam Woo-freaking-hyun. He thought the two of you would never fall out, at least, not until college because the two of you would be pursuing different interests.
 
And even then, he imagined Skype dates, phone calls, texts, stupid picture texts of random things they see during their daily lives. He imagined it all already, and all it took was Nam Woohyun to bring it crashing down around him.
 
You two were drifting. And the drifting was so subtle, he was sure no one else noticed. You were slowly starting to spend less time with him and his friends, and spending more time with Woohyun and his friends, until it got to the point where Myungsoo wouldn’t even see you at school anymore.
 
Or maybe he did, and he chose not to remember because the two of you were always holding hands, holding waists, and stealing kisses when teachers weren’t looking. Myungsoo’s friends knew better than to bring you up with him, and Myungsoo gave up on ever hearing from you again.
 
Until you randomly called him.
 
Myungsoo stared at your name on his phone, debating about whether or not to answer. His body moved on its own and answered your call, bringing his phone up for him to talk.
 
“Hello? Myungsoo?”
 
He sighed as he heard your voice through the phone. When was the last time the two of you talked anyway?
 
“Yeah, it’s me. What’s up?” he asked, voice devoid of any emotion.
 
“Nothing really. I just called to see if you were okay. You haven’t been answering my texts, and I hardly ever see you at school anymore so...”
 
Myungsoo thought he’d never live to see the day where a conversation between the two of you would be awkward. Maybe he was the one that was thinking too much.
 
“I’m fine. Busy with school and homework.”
 
“How’s the photography club going?”
 
“Fine.”
 
“Oh...”
 
Another awkward silence stretched until Myungsoo rubbed at his eyes. “Listen. I’m kinda busy right now. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”
 
“Oh. Sure. Don’t overwork yourself.”
 
“Bye.”
 
“Bye.”