23

Voice of my Heart

 

You and Myungsoo were in the living room watching a movie with the lights low. Your parents were in their bedroom, and Myungsoo was draped across your lap with several blankets wrapped around the two of you.
 
Myungsoo glanced up at the clock and groaned. He was sore from trying to skate all afternoon and beating up Sungyeol. He was warm and comfy and didn’t really want to leave the comfort of your lap.
 
“It’s getting late,” he said, not moving. You didn’t say anything for a second.
 
“Mom! Dad! Can Myungsoo sleep over?”
 
“Sure!” they called from their room. Myungsoo grinned and chuckled before dragging his phone out of his pocket.
 
“Mom? Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Good night.” He sat up, and you grabbed his arm before leaning on his shoulder. He adjusted the blankets so one wrapped around both of you, and one was covering your legs.
 
You let out a content sigh when he leaned his head on yours.
 
--
 
When Christmas rolled around, yours and Myungsoo’s family took turns hosting Christmas dinner. This year, it was Myungsoo’s family’s turn to host Christmas dinner, leaving you free to think of presents for him.
 
Every year you asked him what he wanted, and every year he always said that he would like whatever you gifted him. You gave him a brick one year, and he used it as a paperweight on his desk. He still had it, you recalled, except you painted it to look like a robot so it wasn’t so obvious that it was a brick.
 
Myungsoo’s gifts were always simple and practical. A set of hair clips one year, arm warmers another year, beanies another. He knew you hated to be cold, so he gifted you blankets often, too. Maybe this year, you’d get him something useful.
 
You pursed your lips and used your phone to check your bank account. All of that money was hard earned, saved from whatever money you could pinch. It was a sizable amount and used mostly to buy things online, but you guessed that you could use it to buy something nice for Myungsoo, and you knew exactly what you were going to get him.
 
“Bye, money. It was nice knowing you,” you said sadly, the numbers on your phone with your finger.
 
On the other end, Myungsoo had no idea what to get you. Sure, he always got you something practical, something you could use. But this year, maybe he’d try for something impractical. Like jewelry. You liked to wear jewelry.
 
But then Myungsoo’s mind went blank. What kind of jewelry? You didn’t like to wear bracelets because they got in the way when you were drawing. But you could always wear it on your left hand, he thought. He didn’t really pay attention to if you changed necklaces and earrings often.
 
He could get you a ring, he mused. But who gets their best friend a ring for Christmas? Boyfriends did, and he definitely wasn’t your boyfriend. Well, not officially anyway. There were already rumors that the two of  you were together in more ways than one when you decided to show up to school in one of Myungsoo’s shirts.
 
It was the one he let you borrow the night you found out Woohyun was cheating on you, and for some reason, you still hadn’t given it back to him, not that he asked for it. Suddenly, he got an idea, and it made him grin and shake his head.
 
“She’s going to kill me.”