Back From USA

How Did We Get Married?

[UPDATE 20/12/2014: THIS IS THE EDITED VERSION. NEW READERS MIGHT FIND IT CONFUSING. MORE EDITS ARE COMING]

Four besties were sitting together around a glass table in a coffee house while enjoying their delectable meal. They were smiling and at times, small laughter would come out from the chatting group. They were the hunky Taecyeon, the charming Aiden, the lovely Tiffany and the enchanting Jessica. The fours had been best friends since they were in high school. Sometimes, they argued, but that tied them closer. They supported each other through thick and thin. They are the ones that people called as ‘Friends Till the Heaven’.

            “Jessie, do you want some more?” Aiden asked, looking at the brown-eyed girl.

            “It’s okay, Aiden. I’ve had enough,” Jessica said.

            “Jessie is on diet!” Taecyeon teased as he smirked mischievously.

            “No, Taecyeon! I’m just full. You want it, right?” Jessica denied.

            “Guys, don't ,” Aiden said as he glanced at Jessica.

            “We’re just joking,” Taecyeon grinned.

Jessica smiled and whispered ‘thank you’ softly to Aiden. The boy nodded and went back to his almond croissant, secretly hiding his smile. They continued eating and chatting. Suddenly, a phone rang out a sweet melody. Jessica, as embarrassed as she would whenever her phone sang in public, quickly shoved her hand into her handbag and fished out her iPhone. She swiped her forefinger on the screen.

            “Who is it?” Aiden asked, chewing his croissant.

            “It’s my Dad. Shush…” Jessica shushed the playful pair down and answered the call almost nervously. “Hello, Papa,” Jessica greeted politely.

            “Oh, Sica!”

            “Why are you calling me? Is there any problem in Korea?”

            “Nothing, dear. I just want to congratulate you for being an adult now.”

            “I just graduated high school, Papa.”

            “It’s Phillips Exeter Academy. Not everyone gets to be enrolled into the top boarding school. Now, I need to spoil you with surprises! When are you coming home?”

            “I’m not sure yet. I’ve invitation to Aria’s party tonight and Evan’s party for tomorrow night. Maybe in three days, Papa. Would that be okay?”

            “I’m okay with it. Just don’t get yourself pregnant.”

            “Papa! The past is in the past.” Jessica nearly yelled, her face turning crimson shade.

            “Don’t get stuck with boys like how you did with that Alex boy last time. Thank God that you’re not pregnant on your first time. I had to spend a million dollar to clear your name in the school. And keeping that English idiot in the school took half a million dollar.”

            “Papa!”

            “Well, Sica. I need to go for a meeting with the representative from an underwear company. Boys nowadays need good underwear to cover their . Bye, Sica!”

            “Bye, Papa,” Jessica ended the conversation and bowed down immediately to cover her reddish cheeks.

             She sighed. Sometimes, Mr. Jung could be too youthful for his age.

 

 FOUR DAYS LATER…

            “Sica, care to explain who that guy is?”

            Jessica walked over to the blue-eyed man waiting nervously at the glass door of the spacious office room and linked her arm neatly with his. He shyly smiled at the ponytailed girl. As polite as an English man, he bowed down to the middle-aged man sitting across the room.

            “This is Alexander White. He is… that boy,” Jessica clarified her perplexed father.

            Mr. Jung almost slid his off the seat when Jessica uttered the name of the good-looking man in front of him. He knew the kid very well. How could he forget the name of the boy who caused Jessica so much trouble when they were at Phillips Exeter Academy? He spent 500k dollars to keep the boy out of the expelled list, thanks to Jessica’s wish. He never expected the kid to grow up into a handsome man.

            “Jessica, I thought you’ll bring chocolate but instead, you bring an English hottie for me? Like seriously? I’m straight, Sica,” Mr. Jung complained as he raised his eyebrow.

            “No. He is for me. By the way, I bought you a belt,” Jessica said as she naughtily placed her hand on Alex's shoulders and patting them.

            “Archer Belt by Jimmy Choo?”

            “Yeah. We searched hard for it. Right, Alex?” Jessica said; her hand searched for Alex's bigger one.

            “Okay. That’s it. Jung Jessica, you’re getting married.” Mr. Jung announced out clearly.

            Jessica raised her hand up to Alex's broad chest and patted it playfully while a smirk grew on her face. Alex simply stared at the girl as he mentally face-palmed himself. ‘Jessie is taking it too far,’ he thought as he smiled pitifully at Mr. Jung.

            “I’m serious, Jessica. You’re getting married in December. Now, you may take your hands off Alexandre right now.” Mr. Jung crossed his arms.

            “I’m sorry, Sir. I’m Alexander White. Call me Alex,” Eiji interrupted politely, emphasizing on his first name and removing Jessica’s hands off his body.

            “Now, Mr. White. I’m pretty sure you flew from the United Kingdom to Korea for a considerable reason. I would like you to leave this room for a moment for us to have a family talk. Will that bother you, Mr. White?” Mr. Jung talked, suddenly sounding serious as he was expected to be.

            “Sure, Mr. Jung,” Alex said as he nodded and walked to the door.

            Jessica was perplexed by her dad’s actions as she stared at the glass door. Mr. Jung cleared his throat; hoarse noise filled the silent air and grabbed her attention. Upon sensing the serious atmosphere in the office room, Jessica immediately landed her on the seat. Mr. Jung closed his eyes and nodded slowly.

            “Papa, you can’t be serious, couldn’t you?” Jessica yelled out of solid bombshell.

            “You’re a grown-up now, Sica,” Mr. Jung muttered gently.

            “No. I won’t get married until I’m at least 25.”

            “This is for your own good. I’m worried, girl. Who is going to take care of you when I’m away?”

            “Papa, I’ve been staying in the UK for 7 years. I’ve known good or bad, right or wrong, true or false and whatnots. I know how to take care of myself. I’ve been on myself for years. You don’t have to worry,” Jessica said as she looked away.

            “Sica, I’m doing this because I love you. I don’t want you to end up like…your mom. You have no idea on how anxious I was when I heard that you had with Alex! I was afraid that you were going to get pregnant! I’m afraid if anything happened to you! I’m afraid that you’re going to repeat the same mistake like my late wife did.”

            “What? Are you saying that I am a mistake?”

            “You’re going to get married. No question asked,” Mr. Jung stated sternly.

            Nothing was uttered back. The girl just stared nonchalantly at her lap. Her cherry lips were tightly pressed between her teeth as she closed her eyes for a very long time. Still, she kept silent with no sound made. After pondering for a very long time, considering the rights and wrongs in her dad’s choice, Jessica made up her mind ultimately.

            “Okay. I’ll get married as you wish, Papa,” Jessica said as she looked straight into her dad’s eyes.

            “Thank you, Jessica.”

            “Welcome, Papa.”

            “Are you mad with me, Sica?”

            “Not really. I respect your decision. You always know the best for your daughters. It’s just that, you should let me know earlier,” Jessica pouted.

            “Really? Then, should I call Krystal now? You know, Mr. Alex looks kinda amusing. He’ll make a nice son-in-law.”

            Unforeseen, an abrupt knock rang through the air from the glass door. A teenage girl who was chewing gum came sashaying into the room. She stopped at the seat and landed herself on it.

            “I’m not marrying someone who had stuck his in my sister’s ,” Krystal stated as she continued chewing her pink bubblegum.

            Everyone exploded into laughter at the statement.

            “Wait, Papa. Who am I getting married to?” Jessica asked suddenly.