Stepping into the Darkness

A Love so Blind

“Jung Yunho, when are you getting married, son?”

For the nth times, Yunho heard his mother asking the same question over and over again. Yunho was only 28 yet his mother wanted him to settle down. Yunho never cared about romantic relationships during these 28 years of his life. His main focus was to develop Cassiopeia Corp and lead it to a bigger success. He was the first son of Jung family and after his father passed away five years ago, he had always putting all his attention to his family’s company.

“Mother, can we not talk about this? It’s just 7.30 in the morning and you’re ruining my mood.” Yunho replied as he shoved a bacon sandwich to his mouth. Next to him, he could see his younger brother smiling, and he added, “If you’re that rushed, perhaps you should set Yunho-hyung on a blind date, mom.”

That earned Changmin a deadly glare from his older brother. Changmin was three years younger than Yunho and he was the COO of Cassiopeia Corporation. However in reverse of Yunho’s reaction, Jung mother smiled brightly of her second son’s suggestion, “You’re right Changmin. I have someone in mind. Kim’s family sons are both beautiful and I heard they are special men. Say, Yunho, would you mind dating a man if they are able to get pregnant?”

Yunho choked on his food upon hearing his mother’s suggestion, “are you serious, mother?”

“Why would I not be? Or would you prefer a woman?”

Changmin laughed hard at his brother and mother’s conversation. Even though Yunho never dated anyone, he knew his brother has been swinging to guys instead of girls, “I think a man will be more suitable for hyung, mom.”

 

 

 

 

Today is supposed to be a good day for Kim Jaejoong. He and his coworker, Junsu were chosen to be the representative of Cassie Shoes’ creative team to present in the main headquarter of Cassiopeia Corporation. Cassiopeia Corporation is a huge-scale company which has child companies in various fields, and one of them happened to be Cassie Shoes, a company which manufactures female shoes.

Standing still in front of Cassiopeia Corporation, Jaejoong took a deep sigh before his coworker and best friend Junsu nudged him, “Stop acting so nervous, Jaejoong. It’s not like we’re meeting him.”

Jaejoong pouted in response. He knew what Junsu said was right. They were only regular employees. There was no way they would be meeting the Jung Yunho, the CEO of Cassiopeia Corporation. Jaejoong knew it was not possible, but just having the thought that he could possibly be lucky enough to run into Jung Yunho in this building made him anxious.

Jaejoong has always been fond of the big boss, Jung Yunho, indeed.

Junsu pulled Jaejoong’s hand and stepped inside the huge skyscraper. They were greeted by friendly receptionists where they registered their names to be granted an entry. They were given an access card each.

Jaejoong was about to pin the access card on his collar when Junsu told him to hurry as the elevator has arrived. Again, Junsu pulled his friend’s hand along in rush, causing Jaejoong to drop his access card.

“Junsu, my access card.” Jaejoong said while rushing back to pick up his access card on the floor, yet before he could bend to reach it, he saw a hand reaching it before him. Everything felt like it was on slow motion. Both Jaejoong and the person who was holding to his access card slowly stood up face to face to each other. Jaejoong was dumbfounded. Even though the man was wearing sunglasses, Jaejoong would never mistake this face for someone else.

Jung Yunho.

Jaejoong stood still; totally frozen that he was facing Jung Yunho this close. Never in his wildest dream that he dared to imagine being so close to his secret crush. On the other hand, Yunho smiled lightly seeing this person. He was about to give back the frozen man’s access card, but Yunho knew this person was zoning out. So, he helped to clip the access card on the man’s pocket. Yunho just walked away afterwards, leaving Jaejoong’s inner side exclaiming inwardly.

 

 

It was around three years ago that Jaejoong first had an interview in the Cassiopeia Corporation. He was a freshgraduate and was looking for his first job. He felt like he did the interview quite well. However he was not confident at all, because he knew that Cassiopeia Corp was a huge catch and the competition was fierce.

Just when Jaejoong was going home, he spotted a red Lamborghini car across the road, which was all over the media as it was known to be Jung Yunho’s favorite car, the young and hot CEO of Cassiopeia Corp. What shocked Jaejoong was that the owner got out of his car and ran towards an elder who was crossing the road with her crutches and her leg limping, “Let me help you, grandma.”

And he witnessed the rich and mighty Jung Yunho leading the old grandma across the street while all other people turned a blind eye on the grandma.

So the CEO of Cassiopeia Corp was not arrogant at all, he was a good person who helped others not only through finances, but also through effort and time. – Jaejoong thought to himself.

 

 

 

 

“Okay, good!” The photographer is extremely satisfied with today’s work. All the pictures came out well when he checked the results on the screen, and then he smiled to the model, “Good job also for today, Karam. I guess the photoshoot is enough for today.”

Karam was a freelancer model, also the twin brother of Kim Jaejoong. They looked alike, but not exactly identical. Therefore it’s easy to differentiate the two of them by looking, even if their voices were very similar. However their personalities were the complete opposite. While Jaejoong is a shy and introverted person, Karam was bold and aggressive.

“Good job, my baby Karam.” As soon as Karam got into his car, his hair was messed jokingly by his manager and boyfriend, Park Yoochun. Karam smiled and pulled Yoochun closer for a light peck on his lips, “Of course. I’m Karam Kim.”

Yoochun was about to pull him closer for a deeper kiss, but they were interrupted by a sudden ring on Karam’s phone. Slightly annoyed, Karam still answered his phone as it was a call from his mother, “Yes mom?”

“Karam, there’s a good news for our family. Don’t come home late today. We’ll talk about it during the dinner time. I’ve notified your brother to come home on time too.”

After agreeing to his mother’s request, he kissed Yoochun deeper and hungrily, before breaking the kiss to say, “Sorry babe, can’t spend time with you tonight. Mom wants me to return on time, she said she needs to talk to me and Jaejoong.”

 

 

 

Yunho returned home not as late as he would usually do, but nonetheless, he still missed the dinner time at home. Usually Jung mother would nag at him for coming home so late, that he needed some free time to relax and chill, that he was still young and needed to enjoy his youth once in a life, not only to focus on the family’s business.

Yunho took the company very seriously as if he lived only for that. Yunho never complained as he still enjoyed his life, but his mother got worried over this matter. Because of this, Yunho never had the time for dating. She wished Yunho would slow down and take his time like how his younger brother Changmin does. Changmin would always get off work on time, only working overtime if there was a late meeting. But Yunho did not seem to mind working overtime as he always does almost everyday.

As always, today Yunho expected his mother would nag again, but to his surprise, his mother greeted him with a big smile on her face, even taking Yunho’s suit and workbag with him, “My son Jung Yunho, you’re back quite early today.”

Yunho felt there was something unusual about his mother today, but he still managed to answer, “Well yes mother.”

His mother led him to dinner table where Yunho saw some food that he could eat for his dinner. He started rolling up his long sleeves while his mother scooped out some rice, meat and vegetables for her son.

“Thanks mom.” Yunho said before starting his meal. His mother then took a seat next to him and said, “Say Yunho, would you meet my friend’s son? He’s a beautiful one, and I told you, he’s a male with special ability to get pregnant. I talked to his mother today and she was as excited as I am. They are not as rich as our family but I know they are good people. If you’d like to, will you meet him and agree to marry him afterwards?”

Yunho seemed to give a little thought before nodding, “Well, I’d meet him first. If I like him, I’d follow your wish to date and marry him.”

With that, Jung mother clapped happily and kissed her son’s cheeks. Yunho smiled over his mother’s reaction. He knew his mother would like it. He never had any preferences about relationships or marriage. So if his mother recommends a person, he was sure that this person was good and if the person was good, he had no reason to object to this set up.

Sounds weird, indeed. But Yunho never fell in love before and he did not think love would occur to him. Thus, he believed he did not necessarily fall in love with the person he’s marrying. As long as the person was good, it was enough for Yunho.

 

 

 

 

Both Jaejoong and Karam widened their eyes when their parents announced that they wanted to set up someone for one of the Kim’s sons. Karam, however, regained his composure immediately and started chewing his dinner.

“So, what do you guys think?” Kim mother asked both her sons. Karam did not seem to care at all while Jaejoong asked, “Is it me or Karam, mom?”

Before anything, Karam answered confidently, “Obviously it’s you, Jae. I’m currently dating Yoochun and you’re the only one who’s single.”

Kim father sighed before clarifying, “Actually, your mom and I discussed about it and we think it would be good if you can marry him, Karam.”

Now, it was Jaejoong’s turn to sigh in relief while Karam’s face hardened. Could not believe what he had heard, Karam stopped eating, placing his chopsticks down before clearing his throat, “Why? Why must it be me? You know I’m dating Yoochun, but why me?”

“Because you’re always rebellious. You’re always hard to control and I know Yoochun is not a good man for you, son. Your father and I can’t die in peace if you are not left in good hands.”

“Why must you decide for my life?” Karam was truly angry about this arrangement, “I’m not marrying him!”

“If you were as good as Jaejoong, we would not insist on arranging this for you, son. It’s all for your own good.”

It’s not new anymore that their parents have always favored Jaejoong’s way of living over Karam’s. They feel like Jaejoong’s job and career was a stable option compared to Karam’s freelance model job. To them, Both Jaejoong and Karam were good children, up to college where Karam started modelling. They did not dislike models, but they disliked how modelling changed Karam’s life. Karam was rebellious to begin with, and after he got into modelling industry, he started coming home late and drunk. He would return home with the alcohol and smoke smell all over his body. At first Karam reasoned out that it was just a simple get-together, but as time passes, the more frequent it became. Eventually it became one of Karam’s routine. Kim parents think this life was not good for their son, especially with Karam’s boyfriend and manager, Park Yoochun. They could feel that Park Yoochun was not reliable and matured enough for Karam.

On the other hand, Jaejoong started feeling the building tension in the dining table. He knew his parents were worried over Karam, and in fact, he was too. He asked, “Mom, dad, perhaps you can tell Karam who this man is, or even show him the picture of the man. Probably Karam will consider him if he sees his picture.”

Instead of being supportive of his brother’s idea, Karam glared at Jaejoong. Is he mocking me? Karam never liked Jaejoong since their parents started comparing how good Jaejoong has been and how bad he has been. To him, Jaejoong’s shyness was a façade to deceive them.

Kim mom smiled at Jaejoong’s idea, “Right! I did not tell you yet, that your fiancé is the first son of Cassiopeia Corp, his name is Jung Yunho.”

Both Jaejoong and Karam’s eyes widened again this time, however this time Karam was in glee and Jaejoong was in shock. So Karam’s fiancé is Jung Yunho…?

Karam smiled in victory. He never knew he would have such a wonderful luck today. Getting married to the billionaire Jung Yunho? The Jung Yunho whose face has always been all over the news and magazines for his fortune and leadership?

“Why didn’t you say this sooner, mom?” Karam smiled happily, “Of course I accept this arrangement.”

 

 

 

 

Two days later

Yunho had just finished attending a meeting a bit further away from the crowded city of Seoul. He never complained as it was like a routine for him. Changmin was supposed to come with him, but unfortunately he was feeling unwell just the moment before they were about to leave from Cassiopeia Corp. By then, almost all of the key employees have gone home, so Yunho had no option but to attend by himself.

It was another fifteen minutes’ drive until Yunho reaches the main road. It was 11pm and the side road Yunho took was not crowded at all. However in the pitch darkness of night, bad luck strikes. His car stopped working.

Oh God.

He wanted to curse for being lost in the middle of nowhere. He checked his engine but he did not understand much about it as his secretary always checked his car for him. He reached his phone to call a repair shop, but once again bad luck sided with him. His phone was out of battery.

Damn. Without thinking much, Yunho grabbed his phone and wallet. I should just walk to the main road and grab a taxi. I’ll call my secretary tomorrow to take care of my car.

Without complaining much, Yunho started walking down the road. None was around. He had hoped that there would be passerby whose phone can be borrowed by him. But to his dismay, no one passed that road. It was just a silent night and him.

Yunho was a bit tired that day, and he did not notice there was a car coming his way, and….

 

Crash.

 

Yunho could faintly see the car’s light before his body was thrown to the sideways and he completely lost his consciousness.

 

 

 

Changmin and Jung mom were in the alley way of the hospital. Changmin holds his crying mother tightly. They received a call from the hospital that Jung Yunho was involved in an accident where he was hit by a car. Changmin gritted his teeth, regretting much that he did not ignore his stomachache this evening to accompany Yunho to the meeting. If he did, perhaps this would never happen.

As soon as the doctor came out of the emergency room, both Changmin and Jung mother came to him, “Doctor, how is my brother?”

“The injury from the crash does not seem to be severe; it is not life-threatening.” He answered, “But, it seems that his eyes were injured as his face landed on the sideways where there was pieces of glass scattered.”

Jung mother’s lips parted. Between these seconds, there were a lot of possibilities going in Jung mom’s mind. But, Yunho can’t be facing what she was thinking, right..?

“Doctor, you mean….”

Before the doctor could continue, there was a nurse who notified them that Yunho seems to have regained his consciousness. Changmin sighed in relief and the doctor leads him and his mother inside to see Yunho.

Seeing Yunho’s eyes open, both Changmin and Jung mother rushed to his side. Jung mother could not stop her tears. She kept kissing her son’s forehead and cheeks, “Thank God, you’re awake, Yunho. Praise the Lord.”

Changmin smiled in relief that his brother was conscious now. He expected Yunho to remain unconscious for some time but his doubts were washed away when he saw Yunho’s eyes were wide open. He was relief, but not for too long. Because then his smile faded when Yunho asked, “Where am I? Why is it dark?”

The nurse, doctor, Changmin and Jung mother froze. Jung mother then turned to the doctor, asking him to explain about this confusing situation. The doctor could only sigh and gave a sorry look to both Changmin and his mother.

“I believe that the scattered piece of glasses on the road went inside Yunho’s eyes and damaged his cornea.” He explained carefully, “I’m sorry to say that… Your son, Jung Yunho might have to suffer blindness, Mam.”

 

 

 

 

Unnoticed by anyone, there was a man who has been hiding behind the door and listened to the diagnosis for Yunho.

“I believe that the scattered piece of glasses on the road went inside Yunho’s eyes and damaged his cornea.” He explained carefully, “I’m sorry to say that… Your son, Jung Yunho might have to suffer blindness, Mam.”

As if it was a broken radio, those sentences kept on replaying in his mind. That Jung Yunho is now blind. The famous and mighty Jung Yunho is now blind. He cannot see anymore.

The man was too shocked on hearing this news. He covered his mouth with his hand at the same time as his eyes could not help but widen in shock.

Jung Yunho…. Is blind…

You have ruined Jung Yunho’s world… You messed up big time… Kim Jaejoong.

Jaejoong could not contain his emotions any longer. He decided to leave the scene to cry all his heart out. He had admired the noble Jung Yunho for quite some time, but now he ruined him. He ruined Jung Yunho….

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

I finished this way way way faster than I expected lol haha

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Kindly leave some comments down here ~