Ch. 6 - Clarification

A Lone Star 2

On Monday, after Chanyeol dropped her off at the company building, Byul walks straightly to the cafe. Chanyeol has another appointment outside of the building so he won't be in the company for today. She smiles at everyone that she meets while on her way to the cafe. But once she's getting near the cafe, she noticed a figure that she wants to avoid but she can't. She sighing but when their eyes locked from afar, Byul knows she can't avoid him. He's waving his arms from the counter and Byul starts walking back to the cafe. She frowned to see Jeonghan is calming and feels like he didn't feel anything for what happens on the rooftop the other day. 

"Hi. Morning! I'm buying you the coffee. You can have a sit there. I'll bring it to you." he said while managing the tray to put the order on that. Byul didn't say anything but follow his order. She chooses one of the tables at the corner of the cafe. She takes out her phone and messaging Chanyeol about her meeting with Jeonghan. She didn't want Chanyeol to feel like she keeps any secret although she had one. Jeonghan walks to the table and Byul puts down her phone. 

"Okay, here is your Americano and cheesecake." Jeonghan places two of them in front of her meanwhile on his side, it's just a hot tea and cookies. Byul frowned at his choice. Jeonghan put the tray away from the table and sits in front of her. 

"Eat your breakfast then we talk about your schedule today." Jeonghan takes a bite of his cookies while scrolling through his tab. Byul watches him without realizing Sowon is staring at them from the cashier counter. She just arrived there with her manager as she had a personal schedule in the studio. Sowon clenched her first and texting Jeonghan. At the table, Jeonghan shifts from the tablet to his personal phone. He checks the name and ignores it. 

"You don't want to reply that?" Byul looks at him. Jeonghan lifted his face and at that moment, Byul realizes that she's been staring at Jeonghan for too long so she looked away with an anxious feeling inside. 

"This is my personal phone. I don't want it to interrupt my job." Jeonghan said. Byul scoffs. 

"Don't be so hardworking, Jeonghan-ah. We are having our breakfast right now." Byul then takes the tablet. "And stop checking my schedule. Eat your breakfast properly and check your phone. We start after breakfast is over. Okay?" then Byul takes a bite of her cake and drinks the coffee without checking Jeonghan's reaction. He is smiling. He grabs the phone and calls the person that texts her. 

Sowon frowned hard when she can obviously see Jeonghan is ignoring her text. She wants to take a step towards them but then Byul is taking his tablet and saying something that she obviously can't hear due to distance. She's getting more furious with their conversation than she thought the reason why Jeonghan didn't bother to open her message. Not long after, Jeonghan is calling her and she is surprised. She takes a glance at Jeonghan before answer the call.

"Hello?" Sowon said in an unsure tone. 

"Hi. Are you at the company already?" Jeonghan asked. Sown still nervous. 

"Yeah. I just arrived. Oppa?"

"I'm here with Byul in the cafe. Do you want anything? I can buy you breakfast." Sowon smiles hearing the truth from him. "What do you want?" 

"Can you turn around?" she requested that and Jeonghan turns around. Their eyes meet and he gives a bigger smile. "I miss you Oppa." 

"I miss you too. Can we meet tonight or are you busy?" Jeonghan asked while their eyes still looking at each other. Sowon notices Byul is looking in her direction as well. 

"I think I'll be late. I have a schedule in the studio and I don't know what time I'll finish." Jeonghan pouts and Sowon thinks that is cute. "But I'll have a break around lunch. Do you want to grab a lunch together?" Sowon asked. 

"Lunch?" Jeonghan then turns to Byul and says something. Sowon can't see his lips to read. Then Sowon looks at Byul and she can see her smile and head nodding. Then Jeonghan turns back to her with excitement. "Byul said I can eat with you at lunch." 

Byul tapped the table and Jeonghan turn back to her. "Give me the phone." Byul orders. Jeonghan gives the phone to her. Sowon is confused. 

"Hello?" Byul said. 

"Oh, sunbaenim?" Sowon bows to her after listening to her voice on the phone. Their eyes meet. 

"Everyone in the company might know you guys are dating, but don't make it obvious. Go to the rooftop. Don't worry about people coming in and out. I'll talk with Mr.Lee later." Byul said and Sowon didn't get her. "Lunch date," Byul said then passed the phone back to Jeonghan. 

"Sowon-ah, I'll see you at lunch okay?" Sowon blinks as this is going too fast. She never thought Byul will help her and Jeonghan. Then her manager calls her to leave the cafe. She ended the call and waving to Jeonghan in tiny. But she didn't forget to bow politely to Byul. Jeonghan faces Byul and she didn't look at him as she continued to finish the cheesecakes. 

"Thank you," he said. Byul ignores the words and keeps eating the cakes. Jeonghan smiles fade away and sigh. After a while, Jeonghan starts to discuss with her the schedule after Byul returns back the tablet to him. Then, they start to moves to Mr.Lee's room. In the elevator, Jeonghan turns to his side to look at Byul. 

"Why do you want to plan for my lunch date with Sowon?" Jeonghan asked. There is no one else in the elevator so he dares to ask that question. Byul looked up at him and raised her eyebrows. 

"Don't you want a secret date with Sowon?" Jeonghan rolled his eyes and slump his shoulder. 

"Well, I want it. But...is that necessary?" Jeonghan questions make Byul confused. 

"What do you mean by necessary? Aren't you supposed to feel happy about going on a date with Sowon?" Byul faces him. Jeonghan sighs. She's really confused right now with his reaction. 

"I'm happy but...it's okay if we are not. She's busy and you're-"

"I'm going out with Chanyeol for lunch anyway. You have your free time." Byul cuts him before he can finish his sentence. Jeonghan stares into her eyes and it makes Byul feels uncomfortable. 

"Oh, that's why you plan this?" Jeonghan's tone of voice is making Byul feels anxious. She can feel her heart skip a beat. She leans back on the wall and looking down the floor. "The rooftop, somehow." she can his whispering and it makes Byul look at him in a second. At the same time, the elevator door is opening, and Jeonghan rushes out from the space. Byul follows him from behind without making any conversation. 

Rooftop. Why doesn't it sound like Jeonghan feels that is the sacred place or something? Does he didn't like it because they kissed on the rooftop the other day? Byul looks at the back of his head and frowned. Jeonghan didn't like me anymore, right? Byul sighs and closed her eyes. Jeonghan stops at the secretary's table. Byul just follows him. 

"Is Mr.Lee's present?" he asked with a bright smile. The secretary answered and allows them to walk inside the room. Byul reaches the doorknob first and walk-in. Mr.Lee is on the line with someone so he ordered them to take a sit first. Byul takes a seat near Mr.Lee's center seat while Jeonghan takes a seat next to her. 

"Don't forget to talk with Mr.Lee about my date with Sowon at the rooftop." Jeonghan leans closer and whispers to her. Byul jolted up a little then turns to look at him. "You promised Sowon," he said but with a sarcastic smile on his face. Byul frowns. 

"Are you okay? Because it seems like you pissed at me or something?" finally Byul gets the courage to ask him. Jeonghan didn't answer and he plays with his phone, ignoring Byul. When Byul nudged him then he looks at her with an annoying face. 

"You are mad with me, aren't you?" Jeonghan ignores her again. "Jeonghan-ah. I thought you want to have lunch with Sowon. You asked me." Byul said and it gets his attention. 

"But not a private lunch. I'm fine with eating lunch with her like normal. You don't need to plan the date at the rooftop and block people from coming in or out from there." Jeonghan replied in a whisper. 

"What is wrong with that? Isn't that more romantic?" Byul didn't understand him. 

"Well, you want to say that Chanyeol treats you right, huh?" Byul is taken aback when Jeonghan brings up Chanyeol in their argument. Jeonghan leans back to the chair and plays with his phone. 

"Why- Wh-" Byul loses words and eventually just ignores him. Until Mr.Lee sits down at the table and shifts contacts with both of them. He senses that they are in a bad mood and fight about something. He cleared his throat and Byul lets out a sigh. 

"Are we good to go?" he asked. Byul looks at him with a try-hard relax expression on her face. She tries to calm herself down. 

"We are. Please continue the meeting. I'll be outside, waiting." Jeonghan said and gets up to leave but Byul pulls down his hands. He plops back to the chair. 

"You're staying." Byul glares at him. 

"I don't want to," Jeonghan said firmly with this eyes lasering her eyes. Mr.Lee sighs as he knows that his sense isn't dead yet. They are fighting with each other and about what? He needs to dig in deeper. 

"You said that you are on my side and we're going to talk about this together." Byul reminds him. 

"It was before the lunch date plan," Jeonghan said and want to leave but Byul holds his hands. "I think you can handle this by yourself. You did it last year, anyway." he pulls his hands and leaves the room after bows to Mr.Lee. Byul pants hard and leans on the chair. She tries hard to control her anger with Jeonghan. Mr.Lee massages his temple. 

"Today is the first day and you guys already not get along with each other?" Mr.Lee asked. 

"His fault. Not mine." Byul crosses her arms. Mr.Lee scratches his head that not feeling itchy. 

"What ha-" 

"I plan a date for him and Sowon at the rooftop. He gets mad. Don't know about what. I'm going to talk with you to restrict people from going to the rooftop during lunch. But now, I don't know if he still wants the deal or not." Byul expresses her feelings without letting Mr.Lee finish the question. Byul clenched her fist. 

"Okay wait. First of all. Why are you planning for their date? And why do you think I'll give permission on that? And you're going to ask me to block people from going to the rooftop? And why do you think I'll do it?" Mr.Lee asked the questions. Byul rolled her eyes. 

"I know you can do that, Mr.Lee." 

"I'm not going to give my permission. Sowon is busy nowadays. She's the leader of the group. Another member is scattered around to promote the group and make the group known to the world. And she's on the rooftop with her boyfriend? On a date? In my building? In this company? What makes you think I'll agree?" Byul sighs hearing the sense of the president of this company.

"I'm making Jeonghan your manager because of your request. I'm not going to tolerate more than this, Byul-ah. Why are you guys fighting anyway? Why he gets mad when he knows that you're planning for his date? I don't want last year to happen again, Byul-ah." Byul instantly looks at Mr.Lee when he reminds her about their past relationship. She immediately palms her face and heavily sighs. She wants to make herself feel not guilty about their secret kiss by planning something for his relationship. But this going around the circle after all.

"Byul." she turns to him. "Nothing happens between you two, right?" Byul gulped. Mr.Lee narrowed his eyes and wanting to hear an answer of no but Byul's reaction letting him know that something is starting to go on. He sighs and gets up to his table.

"I'm stopping him to be your manager by today." Byul gets up right away and stops him. 

"No!" Mr.Lee holds her shoulder and shakes her. 

"Byul-ah! I told you that I don't want last year's thing to happen! You are happy with Chanyeol, aren't you? I'm letting you involved with Jeonghan because of Sowon and nonetheless." Byul pushes his arms slowly and sighs. 

"I don't...love him, Mr.Lee," she said in a weak tone. 

"Are you sure?" he asked. "Byul! Are you sure?" he yelled at her. Mr.Lee stunned and flips his hair. Byul sits down at the chair with heavy panting. She flips her hair and crosses her arms to confident with herself. By her reaction, Mr.Lee knows something is already happening between them. 

"I don't love him anymore. I'm confident with that." Mr.Lee rolled his eyes. "Mr.Lee!" he stares at her. "He loves Sowon. But maybe he didn't like me involves in his relationship. That's why he acts like that." 

"Something happens between you two, right?" Byul sighs. She is contemplated either tell Mr.Lee or keeping it a secret about what happened that night on the rooftop of her apartment building. 

"He kissed me." before Mr.Lee gets the chance to talk, Byul holds her palm high to his face. "We talked about his relationship and I can see how much he loves Sowon. Then he kissed me. He said sorry because he thoughts that I'm Sowon." Mr.Lee shakes his head. Byul panic. 

"Chanyeol didn't know this." Mr. Lee's eyes widen. "Don't tell him, please," she begs him. 

"Why not? Let Chanyeol knows and we have him to tell me either to fired Jeonghan or let him continue to be your manager." Mr. Lee's patients are fading away. 

"Mr.Lee, please. He thought it was Sowon." Byul begs again. 

"How can you know?" Mr.Lee raises his eyebrows. Byul massages her temple and walking around to Mr. Lee's desk table. "Byul-ah, let's be honest here. Do you still have feelings for Jeonghan?" 

"Can we not talk about that?  We have business here to talk." Byul runs away from that question and it makes Mr.Lee sighs. 

"Answer me, Byul." Byul pause and let her head down with a sigh. 

"No. I don't think so." Byul said. 

"Confirm?" Mr.Lee needs strong clarification. "I will fire him if you still have feelings for him." Mr.Lee continued.

"No! So can we please do our business here?" Byul sits at the chair and avoids looking at Mr.Lee's face. Mr.Lee walks to his table and takes a seat. He stares at Byul for a few seconds before taking a deep breath and release it. 

"I don't know what to do with you, Byul-ah. You know, I can just fire him without you knowing anyway." Byul wants to object to him but Mr.Lee shushes her. "You have my trust, Byul-ah. I hope you are right. Things will get messy if this getting out to the public." Mr.Lee said. Byul scoffs. 

"Worried about your business, huh?" Byul smirks. 

"You are on top of our company. Then GFriend. This matter includes both of my top artists. I can't let this out of the public. Enough with you make a public announcement about your relationship. Sowon can't do that yet. The contract is still strict with GFriend." Mr.Lee said. Byul nods her head. 

"I promise," she said. "How about the rooftop lunch date?" Mr.Lee sighs and shakes his head. Byul smiles bitterly. Mr.Lee grabs the phone and makes a call to his secretary. 

"Close the rooftop door. No one can go in or out." Mr.Lee said and it makes Byul smiles widely. Then they continued talking about the business. 

 

Write -12/3/2021 | Evening

Re-check - 21/4/2021 | 11:02AM