-3-

Sunny Boy // Seo Changbin

A few days passed since Changbin went to the cafe with Chan and Jisung and yet he still couldn't get the boy off his mind, the dreams continued but yet he stopped waking up from them. 

 

He made it part of his routine to stop at the cafe at least once a day to get a drink and to get back to work. 

 

Somedays the boy would give him something extra or would ask Changbin if he minded trying a new drink he was working on, slowly they started to form somewhat of a friendship although they exchanged nothing except for their names. 

 

Today though was a little different Changbin had a full schedule he could hardly get time to breathe, he had four meetings to attend to and it was raining as well it was just a gloomy day in general, he really just wanted to see his sunny boy again to gain some strength. 

 

Once he got out of his last meeting he took his phone out of his pocket and was quite surprised to see he had a few missed calls from Jeongin. 

 

Curiously he called the boy back, it was odd for him to call. 

 

"Yeni what's wrong?" Changbin asked the boy. 

 

"Oh Binnie hyung, will it be okay if I sleep over at yours tonight? I had a fight with Seungmin hyung" Changbin was surprised, the two hardly ever fought so it was really odd. 

 

"Sure, do you still remember the pin? A might not be home tonight so eat whatever you want from the fridge and you can take my room" Changbin told the boy who hummed in response. 

 

They hung up the call and he stood there for a bit, something didn't make sense the two never fought no matter what so what caused it to happen now. 

 

He found himself texting the group chat he had with Chan and Minho, they made it so they could talk about the younger kids and to look after them, it was basically their parental group chat. 

 

He told them that Jeongin called him and he told them what happened and Chan said he'd go check in the boy since Changbin lived in the same apartment building as him and Felix. 

 

Changbin thanked them and went back to his office. 

 

He stretched and let out a yawn. 

 

"I really want coffee" he mumbled to himself, he glanced out his office window and saw the coffee shop down below, it seemed a lot warmer and welcoming than his cold office did. 

 

When he took a closer look he saw a little girl around 3 or 4 run walk out of the cafe no one was with her and she didn't even have a warm coat on, and with the way it was raining and with how busy the streets where he could only imagine the worst. 

 

He found himself getting up from his seat and grabbing his coat, he basically ran out, he even took the stairs instead of the elevator. 

 

When he got outside he saw the little girl sitting on the sidewalk in the rain, he went over to her and held his jacket over her head, only then did he realize she was crying. 

 

“Hi, are you okay?” he asked and she shook her head.

 

“You came out of the cafe right? Do you want to go back?” he asked her and she nodded.

 

“The busy road is scary right?”

 

“Yeah” she said softly, he smiled a little.

 

“Uncle will carry you across the road, okay?” Changbin asked and she nodded a little.

 

He smiled and got up and picked her up, covering her in his jacket so she wouldn’t get to wet from the rain, he pressed the button on the crossing and waited a bit, when it was safe to walk he did, he walked into the cafe, and it was really busy, the place seemed packed.

 

He looked at the little girl “Do you see anyone you know?” he asked and she nodded a little, she pointed over to the counter, he curiously followed her little hand and saw Taeyang standing behind the counter, he wasn’t wearing his uniform which made Changbin think that he might be helping out because it was so busy.

 

Changbin walked over to the barista counter with a small smile.

 

“Taeyang, I think I found someone who you might be missing” Changbin told the boy, he looked up almost instantly and almost screamed when he saw the little girl.

 

“Nara why are you so wet baby?” he asked as he moved out of the barista counter towards them.

 

“I saw her running out of the cafe from my office window and I panicked a little since the roads are so busy, I came down and found her on the other side of the road, she tried getting back to the cafe but she couldn’t get past the cars” Changbin told him.

 

“Thank you so, so much, Nana baby don’t do that again” Taeyang said as he took her from Changbin.

 

“I’m also sorry baby, I got so busy I couldn’t give you any attention” he said giving the little girl a really tight hug, “And thank you hyung for getting her” the boy said.

 

Changbin saw the boy’s face, it wasn’t as happy as usual and he seemed really frustrated, it made Changbin a little sad, and really worried.

 

“Hmm it’s okay, you guys are really busy” Changbin told him.

 

“Yeah, I brought her to get a milkshake but instead I got roped into working since they were a little short staffed” Taeyang told  him.

 

“Makes sense, well I don’t have any work left to do, so how about I just stay here with her while you work, then you don’t have to worry that she will run off again” Changbin told him, Taeyang thought about it for a bit but ended up agreeing.

 

Changbin sat down in the booth with Nara and he kept her company, she had a colouring book so Changbin sat and coloured with her, he talked to her trying to keep her busy.

 

After about an hour the whole cafe got quieter, the rush hour was over and Taeyang was finally free from working.

 

He walked over to their table and smiled a little when he saw the two happily playing together, he felt a bit better but still he couldn’t believe he lost Nara and didn’t even realize it.

 

“Hyung would you like to join me and Nara for dinner?” he asked Changbin, the boy was a bit surprised but he would be lying if he said he wasn’t hungry.

 

“Sure~ I’m hungry,” Changbin said, the boy smiled a bit and nodded.

 

“If you don’t mind hyung it will be at my apartment, it isn’t to far away from here” 

 

“That’s fine,” he said and the boy nodded.

 

They packed up Nara’s things and Taeyang picked her up, the three walked out of the cafe and up the road a little until they got to a apartment building, Taeyang showed him the way and when they got into his apartment he told Changbin to make himself comfortable he was going to start preparing dinner.

 

Changbin sat on the couch watching tv for a bit, Nara sat next to him just as invested in the show as he was, he smiled a little, she was quite cute.

 

His phone started ringing. He pulled it out and saw that it was Chan who was calling him, he answered without hesitation.

 

“Hyung, what’s up?” he asked.

 

“I went to check on Yeni and Lix went to Seung, they argued about something but neither want to say what it is, so we don’t know, but knowing them they will probably make up before the end of the week, I’m sure one of them will eventually come seeking advice” Chan told him, Changbin nodded a little.

 

“Uncle, who?” Nara asked, looking at Changbin with big curious eyes.

 

“Changbin, since when do you know kids?” Chan asked, a little amused.

 

“Nara uncle is speaking to a friend” Changbin told her while patting her head, “I’m at Taeyang’s place, he is treating me to dinner because I offered to babysit Nara, his… uh well I don’t know how they are related” Changbin explained.

 

"Hmm I see, you two have become quite close huh" he could almost hear the smirk spreading across Chan's face. 

 

"It's not like that, I told you before I'm too old for him," Changbin said, shaking his head. 

 

"How do you know? You don't even know his age" 

 

"He looks young, he's probably like 19 or something" Changbin fought back. 

 

"I bet you lunch that he is older than 20," Chan told the boy. 

 

"Fine you're on" 

 

"Hyung dinners ready," Changbin heard Taeyang call. 

 

"I have to go, keep me updated on SeungIn's situation" 

 

"I will enjoy your little night" 

 

Changbin just rolled his eyes and hung up, he picked up Nara playfully and the two went to join Taeyang. 

 

They all sat around the table. They ate and made small talk and once they were done Taeyang took Nara to give her a bath since it was closer to her bed time. 

 

Changbin walked around a bit and looked around the house. He saw a few photos up against the wall and looked at them, he saw photos of two people on their wedding day and then there was a little boy being held by a girl who looked a bit similar to him.

 

“She looks familiar, wait now that I think about it so does he,” he said as he looked back to the wedding photo.

 

“Wait Sora? Taeho?” He said a little surprised.

 

“Oh hyung you knew my sister?” Taeyang suddenly asked, scaring Changbin a bit.

 

“Sister? Taeho was in the swim team with Chan and Sora was in the fashion design department, they often came to the swim team meet ups and dinners, I got to know them quite well, but I haven’t heard anything about them in a long time~” Changbin said, Taeyang avoided eye contact for a bit and took a deep breath.

 

“Hyung… I’m sorry to deliver bad news, I know you came here for dinner and you probably wouldn’t want  to hear this right now but… Noona and Hyung passed away” Taeyang said softly but Changbin heard it, it was as if those words just kept echoing over and over.

 

“Nara is their baby” Taeyang said to him with a small smile, “She is all I have left of them so today when you brought her back I felt a lot of things, I was really thankful but then I felt really bad as well, I feel like maybe it would’ve been better if my parents took her after all” he said.

 

Changbin was a little surprised, he wondered just how long Taeyang had been keeping everything in since it seemed like it was the first time he talked about it seemed like it really broke him to just bring it up.

 

“Taeyang-ah, how old are you” Changbin asked softly.

 

“25 why hyung?” Changbin found himself moving forward and wrapping his arms around the boy.

 

“It’s a lot to take in for you isn’t it? You're still so young but yet you have such a big responsibility to handle, you’re probably in uni still as well, you must be stressed right? I’m sure everything would be okay in the future, just give it all some time, don’t push yourself to be perfect, I’m sure Nara will understand, she’s a smart little girl” Changbin told the boy.

 

Taeyang stood frozen for a second and found himself hugging Changbin back, it was as if someone opened a tap, his tears just started running and they wouldn’t stop, that was all he ever wanted, he wanted someone to hug him and tell him it’s okay, that it would be okay, and when Changbin did it was as if he felt a weight being lifted.

 

They broke the hug and Changbin looked at the boy, he was taller than him, younger than him but still he couldn’t help his heart beating the way it did, he reached up and cupped the boy’s cheek, whipping away the tears running the boy’s cheek.

 

“Come find Hyung whenever okay? I will give you a hug whenever you need one” Changbin said softly and the boy nodded with a little smile.

 

“You should get to bed, you must be tired,” Changbin told the boy.

 

“What about hyung, it’s pouring outside, you will get sick” 

 

“I am going back to my office, my friend is crashing at my place, he needs some space,”  Changbin told him.

 

“Hyung… stay here instead, you need to sleep as well, and the office is probably cold” the boy said softly.

 

“But I will impose if I stay over” 

 

“You won’t hyung, you are more than welcome to stay here” the boy looked at Changbin with puppy like eyes, it was hard to say no to him… so in the end Changbin agreed.

 

Taeyang lent him some clothes and the younger couldn’t help but smile when he saw Changbin in his clothes, the older was basically drowning in them.

 

Although Changbin insisted on sleeping on the couch Taeyang quickly rejected that and told him that he should sleep in his room, that they can share his bed, it was definitely big enough for the two of them, and it was but that wasn’t the problem for Changbin.

 

‘Ah I can’t sleep… just being in the same room as him it’s hard enough to keep myself in control but he was so insistent that I will feel bad if I didn’t agree’ he thought to himself.

 

He turned and faced the boy who fell asleep a long time ago, he scanned over his face a little.

 

‘You’re so young, yet you have suffered a great loss and gained a huge responsibility as well, you’re really strong Taeyang-ah, keep being strong in the future but don’t forget it’s okay to be weak as well’ Changbin thought to himself.