"everything happens for a reason..."

Our Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even though Soobin is tired from helping Yeoreum earlier that day, sleep still refuses to come to him.

He's not just physically exhausted but also mentally. His conversation with his mother just made his thoughts go all over the place and he doesn't know how to shut it off.

He stares at his open window, feeling the night breeze coming through it.

He rubs his tired eyes, sitting up from his bed to grab his phone from his nightstand and sees that it's almost 4 in the morning and he still doesn't feel a tad bit sleepy.

Soobin lets out a sigh, getting up from his bed to get his jacket from the rack, to slip his shoes on and to tiptoe downstairs --- being extra careful not to wake his grandmother up. He made sure to skip the bottom stair as it creaks every time you step on it.

The cold breeze greets him as soon as he opens the door to make his way outside.

It's even quieter at that time and the village feels a bit creepy as he can hear the chirping of crickets, a loud barking of a dog from a distance and the usual morning call of the chickens there.

Soobin doesn't know where he's headed to and since he hasn't been going out that much, the village is still a bit unfamiliar to him. He just lets his feet lead him wherever.

With no destination in mind, he feels like he might actually get lost but he doesn't feel even a bit frightened of the thought --- already used to the feeling of being lost.

He passes by the Hwang's house, seeing that their lights are already on. Hmm, the village life really starts early from what his grandmother told him.

He's sure that his grandmother would also wake up any moment now and he's hoping that she won't check up on him just to see his bed empty.

"Good morning son!" An unfamiliar voice snaps him out from his thoughts.

Soobin looks at the person and sees someone just about his grandmother's age carrying some gardening tools. He's probably on his way to the farm there.

"Oh good morning uncle!" Soobin greeted him back, not wanting to be rude.

"I haven't seen you around here before."

Soobin gulped, not expecting to come across someone that early in the morning but he still tried answering him nevertheless. "Ah, I'm Choi Hyeja's grandson from the city and I'm here to visit her for the summer."

The man's eyes widens in acknowledgement, everyone probably knows each other considering the small population in the village.

"Oh I see, I know your grandmother very well." The man chuckled, tapping Soobin's shoulders, "Well then, I'll get going. If you want some fresh fruits, just look for me at the farm and I'll give it to you for free."

Soobin's face lit up at the statement and he bowed at the man. "Thank you so much uncle."

----

After his encounter with the nice man, Soobin continued his walk to nowhere.

He's currently at a part of a village that he's never been to before and there's really not much to see since all he can see are houses which all have their lights on already.

He hugs his jacket tighter against his body, deciding to get back home before his grandmother finds out that he's missing.

But he immediately stopped on his tracks when he hear a soft purring. He looks around to find where the sound is coming from.

If someone can see him right now, they might think that he's an idiot because he's currently crouching down with his phone that he uses as a flashlight in his hand to find the source of the sound.

Luckily though, he immediately locates the source and his heart almost melts when he sees that it was a little kitten, but it was under the bushes so he tries his best to make it come out.

"Come on little one, I'm not gonna hurt you."

The kitten let out a soft meow and it was almost out of its hiding spot when a high pitched scream startled not only the kitten but also Soobin.

"AHHHH!"

Soobin looked up to see who it was while still holding his phone near his face but it just made whoever it was scream again.

"What the actual !" The person shouted, "Soobin? Is that you?"

Immediately recognizing the voice to be Yeonjun's --- Soobin got up to his feet. "Oh Yeonjun hyung! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you."

Yeonjun lets out a sharp breath while holding his chest, "What are you doing here? And can you please not point the light to your face? It almost scared the living days out of me, I thought you were a ghost or something."

Soobin swallowed the laugh that's bubbling up his throat because he finds the situation funny but he still turned off his flashlight for the sake of Yeonjun.

"Sorry hyung, I was just taking a walk when I heard a kitten purring under the bushes." Soobin explained, pointing at the kitten who's now already running away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter