CHEN

Because It’s Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

LONG LOST CHRISTMAS

 

The whole village is too busy preparing for Christmas, the grownups are busy running around carrying baskets of food and children are busy decoration every tiny house and cottage in the area. Given how Gyuri is a very small village in the hills, the whole village gets together when Christmas is here, and prepare everything as if everyone belongs to a one big family.

“HEY YOU LAZY BRAT! Get these walnuts to the bakery before Namgil samchun starts baking a new batch!”

Your grand dad yells at you, and you nearly fall off the tree you’re hanging the bright red baubles on. “How dare you call me lazy harabhuji??? I’ve been awake since THREE in the morning and peeling garlic for whatever soup Taeyeon unnie’s gonna make!” you jump off the tree and snatch the basket of walnuts from your grand dad. “I’m very hurt you know!”

“I’m just teasing you my girl.” He gives you a friendly punch on your arm and ruffle your hair. “Give them to Namgil and come back soon. I have to take you to the town for shopping.”

“Don’t tell me…” you stare at him in disbelief. “You’re going to buy me a new outfit??? Really harabhuji??? But where did you get the money from?”

“Baekhyun’s mom paid me some very old debt she had.” His aged face crinkles in happiness. “Let’s go downtown, and get you a nice lady-like dress.”

“No freaking way.” You shake your head frantically. “Jeans and a jacket would do. Not a jacket…even a hoodie is enough.”

* * *

A blue SUV the villagers have never seen in their neighborhood enters the main street running across the village, and comes to a stop not far away from the bakery. The baker and his son rush out to see the unexpected visitor, and the owner of the SUV gets off with a familiar smile.

The neat conservative black hair, pristine brown winter coat, neatly ironed black trousers and sparkling black dress shoes…everything about him told the curiously gathering villagers that he’s a gentleman from the city.

Except for his sunshine like smile.

“JONGDAE HYUNG!!!”

He walks forward and embraces the baker’s son in an endearing hug. “Long time no see Jisung…look how tall you’ve grown.” He holds the boy at his arm’s length and give him a proud smile. The baker steps forward and stare at him in total disbelief. “Kim Jongdae? Is this you seriously???”

Jongdae let go of Jisung and bows the baker. “It’s me ahjussi.” He smiles again. “It’s been a while isn’t it?”

A sudden crash of a basket is heard from a distance, making the entire crowd including Jnagdae turn their heads to the direction the crash came from. And there you stand, countless walnuts scarred around your feet, and hands hanging idly on your sides.

Jongdae smiles, yet again, but this time his smile is more apologetic, more weak, and more loving. “There you are.”

* * *

“Jongdae oppa.”

That’s the answer the five years old you gave when your grand dad asked whom you’ll be marrying when you grow up. And that’s the answer you gave your friends in high school when they asked you who your crush is. That’s the answer you gave when the girls in the village started getting married one by one, and asked you whom you’re waiting for.

Kim Jongdae used to live next-door, with his grandma, just like you lived with your grand dad. He was the top student in his grade, was your tutor in every subject you learnt in school, and he managed to win a full time scholarship to Seoul National University at his first try in the college entrance examination.

That is how he left for Seoul in the end, as the first and only law student in your small village.

Yet you saw him at least once every year when he visited the village during school. It was his final year in college, when he visited you for the last time.

“There’s this girl in college…” he admitted hesitantly, as you two sat under a tree in your backyard for a little while before he left for Seoul again. “She’s been asking me out for some time now.”

Your insides turn colder than the falling snow, but you manage to force a smile. “So?”

His bright face starts taking a darker shade. “So? What am I supposed to say to that?”

“So is she pretty?”

“Somewhat.”

“Is she from Seoul?”

“Yeah.”

“Then why don’t you give her a chance?”

You can’t believe the words that are leaving your lips. And so can’t Jongdae, as he glares at you in disbelief. “Then what about us?”

“What about us?” you ask back. “J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter