Not that a wrong makes a right

Behind the Scene

 

You realize that everything’s going ok and that company is better than nothing but you feel bored.

Yumi walks into the room. “Hey breakfast”

You walk into the kitchen. The tables set, the breakfast is ready and Ms Woo is happy. Everyone decided that it’s fine with the arrangement now: living in separate houses.

There’s egg and beacon on the table with orange juice and pancakes with cream. Wasn’t it a bit much?

“I helped out” Yumi explains “cooking is fun with company”

“Thank you Ms Woo” you say softly “for everything and for the meals”

You start eating the egg and beacon. It’s warm and yet so nice. You dig into it and gobble it all up. You laugh. It’s funny how egg and beacon would never hit the table until now. You start on the pancakes with cream and wonder if Ms Woo wanted to do all this? Was it just because you were injured or because she wanted too? Was Yumi enjoying everything?

As you drink the orange juice, Yumi walks up “sorry about yesterday” she says “I told her it because she asked but I didn’t mean to tell her everything”

You look at her “so it was you. Why though?”

”because you were gone, I was sick and Ms Woo was just wondering”

“You could have asked me!” you angrily say

“You left so I told. Why do you care? You’re just like everyone else. You don’t care!” she spat. You didn’t want to know what she meant but you were angrier now.

“You could have told me this yesterday! You know, you never did anything and you blame me. I had an accident you know, two and you? You were at home! Don’t be such a BRAT!!!” you yell

Yumi ran. Ok so it wasn’t ok to yell but it spoiled your breakfast, the first real one in many years and how she told. Ms Woo could use that information for anything: blackmail anything. How could Yumi trust her so much when not so long ago you and she were running away from an orphanage? How could she tell Ms.woo all that, for someone who lives just next to you and never once wanted to be a guardian and is now wanting, cooking and knowing everything?

“You should be kinda to your sister; she’s really upset and sick. At least be nice enough to make her happy” Ms.woo told.

“Why should you care? Your don’t know ME!” you angrily shout “why can’t you stay out of it? Why can’t you stop telling me what to do? Okay I’m sick of it, I’m sick of this house and I’m sick of you. I know you’re not who you say you are. YOU DON”T CARE ABOUT US!!”

Silence, it all went silent and you stood there, looking at her eyes, fury in your eyes. Angry that she came along and spoiled everything you had, turned your sister against you and wanted to take the role of your parents. How could she?

“I’m not hiding anything, I’m not who I say I’m not. I am me, I’m looking after both of you, I know you’re angry that I came and made things so hard for you, but can’t you accept me? I want to look after you, you both. I want to be there. I may not look it before but I want too, I want to be there, here and now, I want to be there.” Ms woo explained

Yet it felt like lies, she talked so much that it felt weird to be near her. You feel she’s lying and yet you keep it to yourself.

If she wanted to be in your life than so be it but that doesn’t mean you can’t make your own decision, if Ms.woo wants to change everything, why can’t you change it back?

Going back to your bed you call your boss. It takes 3 rings for him to answer. “Hello, I’m calling to tell you that I cannot go to work for a few weeks, do you mind if I take a leave?”

Pause, why was everything so silent today? Everything’s so weird and strange, you don’t know how to explain it but it is. It’s different in a strange un-real way.

“Okay, 5 weeks only that, I have lots to do, nobody’s free” the Boss says

“I’m injured, spare me” and you hang up.  You walk to where Ms woo is.

“Ms. Woo, I’m going walking.” You say to her

She looks at you “why and where?” she asks

“I’m sorry about early, I’m new at this and I’m cooling off. So can i?” apologizing and acting sorry, she lets you walk but says not far away from home. Nodding away you walk outside.

It’s fresh and looks new, you wish you could spin and raise your hands and be free but your injured. Thanks to a car.

You walk a bit, slowly at first then towards some nearby shops. You go in a toy shop and without knowing find yourself buying a key ring, but for what?

It’s not much but you decide to give it to Yumi, she needs it.

You walk more and more, and further away into a shop that sells phones and electronics.  You find a good looking phone and another that’s good in your price range. You ask the man near the counter if you can purchase them and find yourself looking at boxes with phones in them. The man asks for the money and you give it, you need the phones.

You go back to the shop where you brought the key ring to buy a matching one, with a broken arm holding your phones and the other free one to take out your mini money pouch (it was all you could grab when you left the orphanage and it was from a mean girl who called you “fat”, you paid her back by stealing it, “I’m not fat” was all you wrote).

Buying a set of matching key rings for phones and then walking out the shop door you realize you walked far from home and so you go back.

Yumi welcomes you back and confusingly looks at the bag. “I brought these for us, we need it” you say and Yumi realizes what it is.

“You got me a phone?” she asks

Nodding you give her the bag and take out the matching key rings. “For you” and gave it to her, keeping the other.

“Thank you” she says “but how did you afford it?”

“We need it, okay to communicate with, at least that’s what’s it for.” Yumi thanks you and opens a box, you open the other.

Ms woo comes in and surprisingly is smiling “you brought yourselves phones?” she asks and walks to Yumi.

“Yeah I thought we’ll need it” you answer

You spend the day, powering up the phones and reading booklets for the phones.

It 6:30 pm and Ms woo cooks her home made noodles, you eat it with Yumi and Ms woo, realizing this is what you want, love and support.  A warm and touching family like surrounding.

You put the key ring to your phone while Yumi puts the two of hers on her phone, the phones start up and you, Yumi and Ms woo exchange phone numbers.

You punch in your job, hospital, and many other useful numbers in your phone.

It’s a start of a new life for you now and you accept it but deep down it’s not enough, it’s not what you really want.

Its bedtime and Ms woo leaves, Yumi sleeps and you stay up thinking. It takes you a long time before you yawn and fall asleep.

 That day you dreamt about Ms woo, Yumi and you together at Christmas happily with your parents but their faces blur and fade away as you wake up.