Chance meetings

Behind the Scene

 

It’s been like hours since everything and you had to go to work. You got a job at a cookery/bakery and you work part time.

You changed into those work clothes you got when you got the job, fixed your hair, looked into a small combat mirror and left you sister with a neighbouring friend (a lady who lives next to you, she’s like 40 or something and you trust her but not a lot, she kinda scares you a little).

You borrowed a bike from that lady and rode off in a normal pace to your job.

You have this watch. Pretty old and very worn out (it’s digital) that you got when you packed to move away from your parents (they did everything epically selling the house and keeping the money and things inside so you got only what you could grab and carry) and checked the time.

It's half past 3 and you work at 4. You had to make it, you weren’t going to get fired (you had some jobs before the cookery/bakery job; you got fired or sacked in those jobs).

You were there.

It’s about Quarter to 4 but you still have to do a few bits and pieces in the workplace before you get to your shift. You park the bike in one of those bike racks that allows you to leave it there with a chain and lock. 

You walk to your job (it’s only a few metres away) and push the door open, it opens with this ring/ bell song and you say hello to your workmates (you’ve worked there for about 5 weeks already so you got the hang of things and what to do) and head back to the staff room to let your boss know your here (it’s the chef). 

“I’m here” you say in a cheerful tone and the boss looks up, his like an average chef, wears the chef uniform and everything (his really serious with his job but his friendly and nice to his staff).

“Hi” he says looking up at you then back to whatever he was doing. You walk closer to him and peer over him to know what he’s doing (you’re curious, in fact your fascinated).

I wonder what he’s doing, he seems busy with something. Maybe it’s a new recipe? You think as you wonder through his words, scribbles and drawings. He looks over his shoulder and puts on this: what are you doing? Stare.

“Please stop that?” he orders and you stop peering but you aren’t moving, you smile. He’s back to work on whatever he’s doing and so you walk towards the door saying “bye” before you go.

Your shift starts in 10 minutes, you have to clean, check, wash, and put away some things before your shift (behind the counter making people’s orders possible). You start on the washing  in the washing room (there’s not much, people also do them too) you finish washing in about 5 minutes, you put away some  cooking equipment and tools (it takes 2 minutes) in the cooking room, then you checked the cakes, biscuits and other cake confectionary food on the display and cleaned the tables, chairs and floors.

It’s 4 and you finish with a cleaning apron clean and your work uniform spotless, you smile to yourself. It’s about time you did things in a lucky way (sometimes your late, get bit of this or that dirty or do something wrong) and so you smile more, wide mouthed.

You’re facing the counter direction taking your apron off when the door makes the ring/bell sound, you turn around and there’s this guy standing right in front of the door as the door shuts behind him.

He puts on a model-like smile and you just stare at him, frozen.  You feel like time and space between the two of you as stopped and everything’s just with him and you, light headed and a little dizzy you turn red and his smile changes from model-like to photo-taking like.

You are gobsmacked, completely mouth dropping,just staring at him.

He walks; you know he’s coming in your direction so you blush a little and you see him slowly walking over with a stride that makes your heart beat faster. Who is he? You’re having questions like that; it’s making you think strangely.

His totally walking over to your direction but when you’re face to face with him, he walks pass you like your not there.

You stop being a zombie-like person and snap out of that state, you shake your head (like you can’t believe it) and somehow his already at the counter.

You walk there in a fast walking; half running and half making it look like walking thing going on.

You quickly take off the apron and put it on your left arm.

You’re at the counter, his starting to get impatient with a grumpy look on his face. He must be rushing on something you think in a more business-like quality.

You put the apron on a little, spacey wooded non-door shelf and stand near the cash registrar like being taught too. You smile this half fake, half customer friendly like shown in movies way and wait for him to speak. He does not. So you don’t and it’s all silent.

“May I get my order?” he asks randomly, probably to stop the awkward silences and tensions.

 “Sorry, sir but which one?” you ask in the politest and most customer friendly tone you can put on with a smile at the end and looking at him.

“ I ordered 2 days ago to the chef, I’ve got the details if you would like” he sounded more friendly then you were and  you start nodding.

“There’s no need, sir” but too late his checking his pockets for that piece of evidence that he ordered. You don’t remember asking him to take out something only which one did he order.

Your workplace is busy and mostly known but not entirely busy and crowded just well known and most popular with fancy things.

You have no idea how to make a thing of cakes that the chef makes so you don’t know which cake is which.

The chef is teaching you some basic decorating techniques in your free time.

You accidently gave the wrong order and the chef had to come to clean the whole mess up; you also made the customer (the guy) drop a cake.

Luckily it wasn’t an ordered one but a sample one the chef uses to teach. Leaving both customer and chef grumpy, you smile innocently and apologise with a “sorry” and act like a victim.

You’re not fired but you’re getting money deducted from your pay and you’re not happy.

That’s half the pay for food and other essential items gone. You can’t have any more deductions or you won’t have enough to pay off things.

You’re thinking from the rest of the ride home on the bike about the deductions, the money and your sister while also riding carefully on the road. You also can’t get hurt; you got no insurance or backup if you do.

So your riding, enjoying the air and then a car spins around and knocks you off your bike. Scrapping your knees and elbows plus hurting you in the process.

You can’t think it’s not processing in your mind what’s happening, what’s going on or what’s around you. You feel dizzy, a bit sick and a little bit painful.

You see faces and it’s getting crowded. You feel like everything’s spinning, around in a circle and your head is moving to it but it’s not.

You hear slow voices of words from unknown voices and see colourful things. You feel like sleeping. What’s happening?

You tilt a bit, swaying a little here and a little there. You feel a grip from someone and a familiar voice saying “you alright?’ but it’s mostly all you can pick up.

You look in that voice’s direction and you see a blur but you know it’s a guy.

There’s noise and sound then it's all becomes blurred. 

 suddenly you blank out.