The Collapse

Secretary's Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The insistant beeping of the alarm pierced through the silence of the room like a dagger. Eunbi tossed and turned in her bed, desperately trying to ignore it, even with a pillow over her head, the sound seemed to reverberate throughout her brain, drilling into her ears and refusing to be ignored. Finally, with a huff, she gave in, reaching for her phone and turning off the blaring noise. Relief flooded through her as the sound was silenced, and she was able to finally relax briefly.

 

However, as she looked over at her blank screen, the familiar sensation of dread returned to her chest. She had been trying to avoid her phone for the past week, and as she stared at the silent device, she was reminded why.

 

Still no replies from Sojung.

 

Lying back on her bed, the blonde throws her phone aside and lets out an exasperated breath. 

 

 

I really don't feel like going in today

 

For the past week, Eunha has attempted to connect with Sojung, phoning her, messaging her, and attempting to converse with her in the workplace concerning what had occurred previosly. Yet, each time, she was either met with a wall or some form of artfully constructed explanation on why Sojung had to leave the facility they were in right at that particular moment.

 

If Eunbi tried to speak to the CEO in their workplace, Sojung would either interrupt the secretary with a new rather pointless task just to get Eunbi out of the room and when Eunbi does return to the office, the woman is either in an online meeting, gone to "take care of business" or gives the younger another bogus task.

 

And it's been like this for a whole week now.

 

Sojung has honestly been acting like she's been too busy for Eunbi, but the latter knows better. 

 

 

It greatly frustrates her that she is still in the dark as to what has caused the taller woman's behaviour and it agitates her even further that rather than confiding in Eunbi, she has simply been blatantly disregarding her.

 

Damnit Sojung, why can't you just tell me what's going on...

 

Staring at her phone again, the blonde picked it up and scrolled through the messages she had sent the CEO for the past week. 

 

 

All seen but not one single response...

 

You see, Eunbi had been doing her best to reach out to Sojung despite the cold shoulder she was receiving. If it was true that the older was too busy in the office to pay Eunbi any attention, then surely she could at least talk to her on the phone, or at the very least spend a second or two replying to Eunbi so the latter knows no bad blood had arisen between the two.

 

But all that just leads it back to why Eunbi hates looking at her phone now. Because every time she looks at her screen, she is bombarded with an empty filling of Sojung not responding to any of her texts. It's gone on for so long, Eunbi doesn't even have the motivation to check anymore, because each time this has happened it's like she's just purposely putting herself down.

 

 

After taking a deep breath, Eunbi gave herself one final push of motivation to finally get herself out of bed to get ready for work.

 

***

 

"Miss Kim" Eunbi rose from her desk to welcome the CEO who had just entered her office. The words that escaped her lips were mechanical now, a routine she had become accustomed to when conversing with Sojung since the latter began to behave oddly.

 

Going to try to get rid of me again? Eunbi felt a fire of annoyance ignite in her chest as that thought spiralled within her head. Watching Sojung enter the office, the frustration that had been building up throughout the week had finally reached its boiling point.

 

"Eunbi.." Sojung replied rather surprised "I thought you'll be-"

 

"Paying the design team for a visit?" She points towards the CEO's desk revealing a new stack of documents neatly placed on top "They start earlier than most of us so, I came in early today and finished off their report an hour ago."

 

 

"Oh what about-"

 

"Contacting Yennie's Media? Completed that yesterday when you had that 'Sudden Meeting' downtown with your 'Top Secret' client that no one but you knows about. You're set to have a meeting with them here in two days."

 

"oh-"

 

 

"I've also completed documenting our financials this month, for the fifth time like you've asked. Liased with our clients for the third time, and yes they have definitely confirmed their interest to collaborate with us, just like the first time they said they will" Eunbi was now walking towards Sojung, her annoyance getting more and more intense by the second was written all over her face. "I've also ordered enough office supplies to last the whole company for years and have checked in with every sector of the company" She stops right in front of the taller, who is now looking back at her with slightly widened eyes. With almost gritted teeth now, Eunbi continues. "Now. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

 

 

Sojung blinks a couple of times before looking down as if planning out exactly what she can say to the blonde "Thank you for completing all that so quickly, I have some work to do, but for now just carry on-"

 

 

"Sojung." Eunbi interrupts. "Stop avoiding me already and tell me what's going on!"

 

"Nothing's going on" The CEO only replies quickly before making her way towards her desk... until Eunbi latches on to her wrist.

 

"Then tell me what's going on with us"

 

 

"What?" a glint of sorrow can be seen behind Sojung's slightly widened eyes, making Eunbi raise an eyebrow. The CEO hadn't made that kind of expression at her for so long... they'd disappeared since their very first date together... so just why are they back now? 

 

The blonde knew at that moment that she was right. That something had happened.

 

"Eunbi.." Sojung continued "Please, we're at work, let's remain professional and keep our personal feelings for later."

 

"Oh that's rich coming from you" Eunbi's grip around Sojung's wrist tightens "Let's not forget who started this so-called unprofessionalism at work 'Miss Kim'"

 

That did the trick to shut the CEO right up momentarily.

 

Eunbi's eyes misted up as her sadness and frustrations of the past week surged. She swallowed the lump in and pulled the taller figure towards her, so they were face to face. Her voice, which had started off with a tone of frustration, now softened to a tender whisper. She squeezed tightly onto both of Sojung's arms. "I'm your lover, am I not? Your partner? Whatever happened, you can't just leave me in the dark. I should know, I need to know. Because I'm your lover, because I love you. Because you told me you feel the same way. If something happened, I should have the choice to at least be there for you. So please, please don't leave it like this. Let me help you again." The blonde felt her heart quiver as she poured out her plea, looking into Sojung's eyes with desperation. The air around them was still, as Eunbi helplessly waited for an answer.

 

She looked up, struggling to meet the taller's glossy eyes, only to see her own reflected back. The sight made her heart ache; Sojung was sad again. Eunbi knew, deep down, that whatever Sojung was doing must have been for a good reason, but to shut Eunbi out of the picture and take on all the burden alone was selfish and unfair. They were a team now, and the burden should be shared, not taken on by one person alone.

 

"Eunbi..." Sojung's shoulders were tense as she chanted the secretary's name "I'm... sorry, I- I just really can't do this right now..."

 

 

"Yes, you can Sojung!"

 

 

"No, if I do then... I'm afraid, I'm afraid of what might happen"

 

 

"What might happen? Sojung-"

 

 

The ringing and vibration of the CEO's cell phone interrupt the two causing a brief moment of silence. Ignoring the ringing, however, Eunbi tried again to prompt the older to tell her what she had been hiding, on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter