Sudden meeting

In the crowd of thousands, I only see you

He retrieved his small luggage from the overhead compartment and alighted from Eurostar train. Now that he was in London St Pancras Station, his phone auto connected to the Station Wifi, and started vibrating and receiving messages. And 5 messages were from his housemate, Jaehyun. He smile and shook his head. 

"Aishhh, I'll call him later" Kyuhyun mumbled to himself. Jaehyun must be asking when he would be arriving home so that he would go home early. Jaehyun worked in Bank of England, as Relationship Officer for Treasures Private Client customers from Korea and Japan, and often worked late whenever Kyuhyun was away for business trips. They have been close friends since university days and they both decided to migrate to London 5 years ago. 

Kyuhyun looked at his watch and started walking towards Circle Line station to go to Victoria Station. He bought some croissants from Paris for Jaehyun and he could imagine his screaming of delight whenever he ate French croissants! Maybe his next business trip to Paris, he would ask Jaehyun to come along!

King Cross St Pancras Station was always crowded as it is the central interchange station in London, as well as Eurostar Station to go to Europe. As he walked towards the shops mall to go to Circle Line, somehow, his eyes caught a guy showing a piece of paper to an old English couple. "Must be a foreign tourist.." Kyuhyun smile to himself and looked away. 

But his eyes kept glancing back to that guy, who was desperately trying to ask something in English. Baffled at himself as to why he automatically turned and decided to help, Kyuhyun walked towards the tourist, and he overheard "This line? Yes? Best Western Hotel?" and the old couple were shaking their heads. 

"Excuse me, do you need any help?" Kyuhyun politely asked the old couple, thinking that perhaps they did not understand what the tourist was trying to ask. The tourist was looking down to check a piece of paper. 

"This guy wanted to go to a hotel, but we don't really know where it is. Could you help him, mister?" the old gentleman told him. Kyuhyun nodded and assured them that he would help.

By now the tourist looked up and at the same time, Kyuhyun turned towards him. Their eyes met and realisation hit both of them. 

"Sungmin?" 

"Kyuhyun?" 

They both said with surprised at the same time. 

Kyuhyun couldn't believe that in front of him was Sungmin. This same person whom he was trying to forget for 7 long years. 7 damn long years! He gave up because it was easier to keep him rather than to forget him. It was just too painful. Kyuhyun cried and cried when Sungmin, his boyfriend of 3 years, suddenly wanted to break off because he was getting married. Kyuhyun was speechless when Sungmin told him straight on his face, 7 years ago. His disappointment was beyond words. 

He cried on Sungmin's wedding day and eventhough he did not attend, he still sent him a wedding gift. It was an abstract painting, with the words "In a crowd of thousands, I only see you". 

And after Kyuhyun graduated and completed his enlistment 2 years later, he packed up and migrated to London with Jaehyun to start a new life as he just couldn't stop being sad. Jaehyun was always encouraging him to be positive, to stay focus on his work and to put his sadness behind him. He followed Jaehyun's advice and became successful in his work and promoted to Chief Business Analyst last year in his firm, Livingbridge Financial Group. 

And now... Sungmin was in front of him! 

"Kyuhyun!!! I'm so happy to meet you! I've been looking for you for the past 4 years! " Sungmin said excitedly. 

Kyuhyun didn't know what to feel. The person that he couldn't get it out of his mind, said that he has been looking for him for 4 years? Whatever for? To tell him that he was happy with his family? 

"What are you doing here, Sungmin?" 

"I came here to look for you!! It's... it's a long story, Kyu. Can we sit down somewhere?" Sungmin was looking around and saw a cafe. 

"I.. I don't think it's a good idea" Kyuhyun said, trying not to sound too emotional. "You were asking the old couple for direction just now? Maybe you tell me where you are heading, I can help you and then we can go our separate ways. I need to go home" 

"Kyuhyun please, let me explain what happened. Please? Give me a chance to clear things up" Sungmin was pleading. Sungmin was as handsome and beautiful as 7 years ago and he looked even more beautiful now. 

"What for, Sungmin? Everything is in the past. You have your own family, I have my life. You shouldn't look for me anymore..." 

Sungmin took a deep breath and grabbed Kyuhyun's arm and pulled him gently towards a nearby cafe. Kyuhyun resisted, but as he didn't want to make a scene, he picked up his luggage and followed Sungmin. Sungmin's other hand was pulling his luggage handle too. 

Even his back was beautiful. Kyuhyun shook his head and cursed at himself "Stupid stupid heart! He doesn't belongs to me anymore! Please stop it!" 

Sungmin got a seat near the entrance and he put their luggages next to their table. "Kyu, please sit down first?" Sungmin said when he noticed that Kyuhyun was still standing. He looked so pitiful that Kyuhyun couldn't bear to be hostile anymore. He sat down but kept reminding himself that Sungmin no longer belongs to him. 

"I get drinks for us" Sungmin wanted to get up, but Kyuhyun stopped him. He got up and and ordered their drinks. He got machiato caramel for Sungmin and black coffee for himself. 

"Ohh Kyu, you still remembered my favourite drink" Sungmin was touched when Kyuhyun brought their drinks over. 

"Of course, how could I forget" Kyuhyun said to himself, but never said it out loud. Instead, he just kept quiet, and then asked "How's your wife?" 

"I don't know, I haven't seen her for 4 years" Sungmin said, looking down and sipped his drink. 

Kyuhyun got confused "What do you mean?" 

"We are divorced, 4 years ago" 

"What?" 

"I don't love her, and I couldn't give her happiness, and I couldn't go on pretending that we were happy! No point staying together and so I proposed for a divorce" 

"Why..." 

Sungmin leaned back and said "Kyu, it was an arranged marriage and I was forced to agree because my father need to save his dwindling business. My ex father-in-law agreed to help my father on one condition. For her daughter to be married into our family. And Sungjinnie was still in high school, so unless I want my father to be declared bankrupt, I had no choice. I have to break off with you in that manner so that you will hate me and forget about me, and I could forget about you too... " Sungmin said sadly. 

Kyuhyun listened with astonishment. Why didn't he said the truth 7 years ago? 

As if reading Kyuhyun's mind, Sungmin continued "But I was wrong. I love you too much and couldn't forget you. I cried everytime I recalled how I made you sad and disappointed, how I made you suffer and made you hated me. I cried whenever I saw your wedding gift. The words "in a crowd of thousands, I only see you" really stabbed me in the heart. I couldn't even sleep with my ex-wife, and performed my duty as a husband. I just couldn't do it" Sungmin said, with tears rolling down his cheeks. He grabbed a serviette and wipe his tears. 

"So... why were you looking for me.. ?" 

"I wanted to clear things up. At first, I got to know from Changmin that you were serving your enlistment. After that, I got to know from Donghae that you have migrated to London!! I cried for days. I thought I couldn't see you anymore" fresh tears started rolling down his cheeks again. Kyuhyun very much like to wipe it for him, but he held back his hands. 

"Where is your hotel, I grab a cab for you" Kyuhyun said, making Sungmin looked up. 

"Kyu, you didn't believe me? Kyu please, I am sorry for what I did. If I could turn back the clock, I would. I really have no choice.." Sungmin gave a little sob. 

"Sungmin, like I said, it's all in the past. I've forgiven you long ago" Kyuhyun said softly. "You must be tired of the long journey. Check in to your hotel first. We can meet up another day" Kyuhyun took out his name card and passed it to Sungmin. "My number is there, when you are in a WiFi environment, give me a missed call so that I have your number too". 

Kyuhyun finished his drink and got up. He gestured for Sungmin to follow him to the taxi queue. "Give me your hotel address". 

"Here, it's Best Western Hotel near Victoria Station" 

Kyuhyun was surprised. "Ohh, I'm actually staying nearby, it's the apartment opposite Victoria Place Shopping Centre. I can walk home after sending you then" he smile. 

It was the first time that Sungmin saw Kyuhyun smile. How he missed that smile! Kyuhyun was more dashingly handsome now but it seemed that he was more guarded. "He must have hated me all these years" Sungmin said to himself, sadly.