Player

First encounters

 

 

“You can’t do this to me! I love you!”

He smiled and wiped her tears away. “I loved you too. But not anymore. It’s over babe.” He walked off from the cafeteria, slinging his bag pack over his shoulder. The girl just sat there, crying her eyes out.

I took a deep breath and sighed. This has got to be his 5th girl for the month. Sure he’s the hotshot of the school and girls just drool all over him. Hell, I’m no different. I used to be like one of them until I realised what he like to do; play with girls’ hearts. And yet many still fall for it.

I don’t blame them. Seeing that cute face of his, who knows that there’s the devil side of him?He may appear cute and childish at times, but when he sings, dance, shoot the hoops, you name it, he just looks oh-so-hot. That’s what most girls fell for when it comes to Yang Yoseob. Surprisingly, despite being a well-known player in school, he’s doing well in school. Not that he aced all the tests, but he didn’t flung them either. From what I’ve heard, he’s one of the top 5 students in school.

I never talked to him though. I just observe him from far and I bet he don’t even know I existed. I don’t know if other students realised it, but every single time he breaks up with a girl, one or two days after, he will have some bruises on his face. It doesn’t appear very obvious maybe because he covered it up or it isn’t that bad. But those bruises still can be seen. Once, he broke up with Riah and didn’t attend lessons for 3 days. I felt curious everytime I saw him like that but me being me, I wouldn’t dare. Besides, he still keeps up with his hobby.

 

 I packed my things when I realised I can’t focus on studying anymore after witnessing that break up. I went to my locker and took my hoodie as it seems to be quite cold, nearing the night. I heard the locker beside me open. I braced myself to see the person beside me as I’ve never seen my so-called ‘locker buddy’ before. As I slowly closed my locker door, I saw Yoseob’s side view.

I just realised that I was staring at him when he turned and smiled at me. I looked away quickly but I was still rooted to the ground. Gosh he was even more handsome up-close!

He took out his blue hoodie, wear it and shut the locker door. He turned to me slightly while I was facing my locker.

“Wish me goodluck,” he said and walked off, putting up his hood. I looked at his back walking away from me, confused.

 

As I walked down the streets, heading home, I could feel drops of water at the back of my hand. Soon the droplets of water got heavy and it started pouring heavily. I quickly ran to a nearby carpark to seek shelter. As I rubbed my arms, gathering warmth, I noticed the car park was quite dark as it was night time and there were no cars come in or out at the moment. I took off my earpieces to call my mother, telling her that I will be late because of the downpour.

I was about to dial her number when I heard a person groaning in pain followed by some guys with deep voices shouting in a hushed tone. I gasped as I heard punching and kicking sounds from a corner of the carpark where the staircase is.

Slowly I walked near that corner as I heard footsteps going away from the place. The groaning still can be heard and some coughing. As I reached the entrance, I took a peek inside and saw a guy lying on the floor, curled up like a ball, holding onto his stomach.

I rushed to his side and kneeled down. Although he’s a stranger, he’s in pain. I have to help him. His face was facing the ground. I moved his fringe slightly to see if I know him. My heart nearly stopped beating when I saw that it was Yoseob. I didn’t realise the blue jacket that he was wearing.

“Yoseob? Gwenchana? Yah can you hear me?” I asked panicking. He just continued groaning in much pain and I could see blood coming out from his mouth. I help him up and brought him to the staircase. He sat down, still holding on his stomach.

I took out my handkerchief and wiped his blood from his lip gently but he jerked his head back. I just looked at him when he stared at me. He finally gave in and stayed still when I wiped his face. His spiked hair was already messed up and his face was full of fresh bruises. I just sat there, looking at him while he kept on touching his bruises and wince everytime. Who was beating him? Why did he give in?

 

He took a glance at me and looked at his hands. I took all the courage I have to start talking. “Why are they beating you up?” I asked simply. It might seem like a simple thing but I just gave up all the courage I have just so that I can talk to this hotshot.

He scoffed softly. “If I tell you, do you promise not to tell anyone? I don’t really know you so I don’t know if I can trust you.”

“You’re the popular one in school remember? Even if I tell on you, you might just get more sympathy and popularity because you get beaten up. Guys might even worship you for still coming to school despite getting beaten,” I said matter-of-factly.

He smiled and turned to face me. “If you tell this secret, some girls are going to get beaten by other girls. I don’t want that,” he said seriously.

I was taken aback for his seriousness. I nodded eventually. “I won’t tell. I promise. I’m not the type who spread news. I just want to know.”

He his lips a little and nodded. He kept his eyes on the ground, not looking at me once when he started talking.

“Everytime I breaks up with a girl, her brother would haunt me down for making his sister cry. ‘Lucky’ for me, all the girls I date has a brother. Once they got me, they would beat me up.”

“Are you serious? And you didn’t get angry with the girls that complained to their brothers?” I asked.

“I can’t be angry. I broke their heart. I made them cry. I deserve it.” He smiled.

“Don’t you learn anything from this? Do you enjoy getting hurt?” Now it explains everything. But why does he still do it?

“I guess.. I just couldn’t stop what I do until I really found the one.” He chuckled at his own words.

“You think this is funny Yoseob? What if you get badly hurt or maybe even fatal?” I said, suddenly sounding concern.

He titled his head towards my direction, facing me. He gave his cute smile. “I got a concussion once because the brother brought a steel baseball bat.”

My jaw dropped open. And he is still doing his so-called hobby??

He laughed but stopped immediately when his jaw and cheekbone hurt. After touching his own face here and there he continued to chuckle and turn to me. “You’re so cute,” he said, patting my head.

“Its nothing actually. I just had to stay in the hospital for a few days. See now my head is back to normal!” he said and took my hand to tap his head.

I just smiled and chuckled at his cute actions. I don’t see why girls wouldn’t like him. I wonder if he knows why girls fall for him.

“Do you know why girls in school fall for you?” I asked without thinking. The moment I realised what I just asked, he answered.

“I guess so. I can show you but my lip is busted,” he looked at me apologetically.

“Hmm?” I was confused now.

“Aish its okay. Since you’ve had helped me, I shall show you.” He leaned nearer to me and I moved back, obviously scared.

He held on my arm. “Don’t move,” he said. Obediently, I stayed still and he moved nearer. He titled his head slightly and suddenly his lips touched mine. I shut my eyes quickly. His tongue pushed my lips open slightly and slid his tongue inside my mouth. His hand moved to the back my neck and held my head nearer. He kissed me deeper but slowly. I could almost taste the blood on his lips and I felt myself getting high by just his kiss.

He broke the kiss soon after, leaving the both of us panting. He smirked. So that’s his magic huh.. It surely does works..