The Families

Reply 2010

Hyewon is in her bed, lying on her abdomen while reading the rules and requirements of the photo contest of their school. The title is "Nature". She is thinking of what she should take for the contest. She needs a pure beauty for this contest, she thinks. At that time, she hears a knock on the door and  she sees her sister at the door.

" Hyewon-ah, can I come in? "

" Nae, unnie."

Hyewon sits up on the bed while Kang Seulgi walks in and sits on the bed too.

" I heard that you got detention."

Well, her sister is the music teacher at school and of course, she will know about it. Hyewon sighs as she knows she can't lie to her. Seulgi crosses her arms as she is now ready to give a lecture.

" This time, you are at the wrong. And she is also the fiancée of my friend. You are making me embarrassed in front of him. He told me to take good care of her while he was in foreign. Aigoo."

" I'm sorry, unnie."

" Now, take this and go to his house. Kwon Eunbi and her mother are living at my friend's house as they are going to married after graduation. Say sorry and make up with her."

" Unnie, it's Sunday and I have plans already."

" I don't want an excuse. Just go."

Seulgi said and she leaves the room. Hyewon looks at the fruits that Seulgi has taken and she sighs as she knows she has no choice but to go to Kwon Eunbi's house. She changes for a nice clothes, takes her camera and takes the fruits and just follows the address that her unnie has given to her.

" It must be this house."

The house is at a quiet place. It has a large compound and a house in the middle with a small white door at the white fence. Hyewon looks around and finds someone to call but there is no one. She tries to push the door and it opens surprisingly. Oh, it is not locked?

She walks in the yard and looks around hoping someone to find.

* song murmuring *

While she is walking around, she hears that someone is singing a song and she follows the voice. And she sees that a girl is watering the plants with a pipe in her hand. Hyewon stares at the beauty in front of her with a wide mouth. Well, she has seen Kwon Eunbi at school everyday but it is not her natural beauty. She has make-up on her everyday and it is not the way she thinks Beauty is.

But today Eunbi is something new to her. She is wearing a causal home outfit. Her hair is tied which shows her facial features clearly. Hyewon never knows that Eunbi has crystal clear skin. She can even see the mole on her cheek. She is staring at her for a long time before she raises her hand.

* click *

Eunbi turns to her when she hears a strange sound. Her face changes suddenly as soon as she sees Kang Hyewon. She throws the pipe to the ground and walks to Hyewon angrily.

" What are you doing? Why you took my photo? Give me the camera."

" What will you do? "

" Of course, I will delete it."

Eunbi said and she takes the camera from Hyewon. Hyewon stops her and she pleases.

" Please don't do it."

" Then why you took it? "

" Because you are so beautiful."

Hyewon answers the truth. Eunbi becomes blushed because of the comment but she hides it and shakes her head.

" What will you do with my photo? "

" I will send it for the photo contest."

Hyewon said and Eunbi is staring at her. She then smiles and walks to the swing in their yard to sit. Hyewon follows her and she stands beside Eunbi. The older girl smiles and she looks up her.

" You want to send my photo for the photo contest? "

" Yes."

" You remembered that you once told me that you didn't want to take my photo because you thought I was not beautiful? Why would I let you to use my photo now? "

Hyewon opens and she is about to fight back when a woman enters the yard with bags in her hands. She walks to them and talks to Eunbi.

" Daughter, Siwon sends these to you. He will come back in two months. He is too nice for us. Don't do anything bad that will make him embarrassed."

" I won't, Omma. Don't worry."

The woman shakes her head and she looks at Hyewon.

" Oh, your friend is here? Ok, continue your talk,  girls. I'm going."

" Nae."

They both are remained in silence for a few seconds. Hyewon looks at the camera in Eunbi's hand and she said.

" At that time, I said because I really dislike girls with too many make-up. But today, you are really beautiful with your natural look. I like it and so I took your photo without permission. I'm sorry."

 Hyewon said and Eunbi looks at her. She then smirks and stands up.

" Alright, I will let you use my photo for the contest. But in one condition."

She said and Hyewon furrows her eyebrows.

" You must get the Gold medal. If not, you have to let go of photography for life."

" What? "

" Wae? Don't you trust your talent? "

Eunbi said and Hyewon nods.

" Alright, what will you give me if I win? "

" Ask what you like."

Hyewon smirks.

" You have to kiss me in front of everyone if I win."

They are making an eye contact war now. Eunbi then smirks and she gives the camera back to Hyewon.

" Call."

" Call."

And they laugh together.

 

 

 

xxx                                xxx                               xxx

 

 

 

" You have a parcel here."

Sana looks at Momo and she then laughs.

" Don't make fun with me."

" I'm serious. If you don't want it. I'll open it by myself."

Momo said and she closes Sana'a door again. Sana sits up on her bed wondering Momo is telling the truth or not. Well, I should go and check if she is telling the truth. She decides and follows her friend.

Since Sana and Momo are exchanged students, they are living in an apartment together. Other students like Mina and Sakura, they have their families here as they are government workers. Sometimes, they feel like they are too lucky to stay with their families. At least, they have each other for them.

" Kyaaaaaaa, Sanachan, come qickly. You should see this."

She hears Momo's voice from the living room and she runs to there. And she sees a night lamp which is in a squirrel shape.

" Wow, she's so cute!!! "

Momo said and she picks it up from the box. A note has fallen out from the box and Sana picks it up to read.

" Let me be your light in your dark times, Miss Squirrel."

Miss Squirrel? Momo peeks the note from her and she is giggling. Sana finds it annoying and she slaps her bestfriend's thigh.

" Yah, why are you laughing like this? "

" Miss Squirrel? This is epic. It suits you so much."

" You are fangirling over that person? "

" Yes, that person has a point."

Momo is rolling over the floor and she is laughing. Sana pouts as her friend is on the other side. Momo smirks suddenly.

" Don't you want to know who it is? This is the second time you receive gifts. Right? "

" I'm Minatozaki Sana that everyone falls for. It will be a joke if I fall for this kind of surprises."

" Really? Then just give it to me. I love this squirrel."

" No way! "

Sana shouts and she steals her lamp from Momo. Momo laughs as she rolls and runs from Sana'a attack. The two girls are playing Cat & Mouse chase in the living room till Sana successfully catches Momo.

" Ahhh."

" Give it to me! Ahh, I get it!!!!! "

Sana shouts happily and Momo is staring at her from the floor with a smirk. Sana notices her and she furrows her eyebrows.

" What's with that face? "

" You said you don't want this kind of surprises."

Sana frowns while Momo is laughing out loud again. Sana pouts and she stamps before she runs into her room.

" Aish, that Momoring is really annoying."

She whispers and lies down on the bed, raising the Squirrel into the air. She will glow at night and light up my room. Aww, how cute! Sana smiles as she feels her own heartbeat at that time. 

Well, it will be a lie if someone says that they don't fall for the surprises. All girls love it, right. And what Sana is made of? Of course, she loves to receive the surprises too.

She crawls to the table and she puts the lamp on it. She is staring it for a few seconds and there is one question pops up in her mind.

Who is that sweet secret admirer?

 

 

 

 

xxx                               xxx                              xxx

 

 

 

 

As today is Sunday, Jeongyeon is at Nayeon's house, working assignements together as usual. They have been together for five years already so it becomes a usual thing for them to spend time together on weekends.

" Nayeon-ah, can you explain it to me? I didn't attend that class."

" Aigoo. You always make me more work to do."

" Wae, I know you love me, don't you, chingu-ah? "

Jeongyeon uses her rare ageyo and Nayeon frowns as the later knows she will do everything for her when she uses her secret weapon. Jeongyeon bites on the pen she is holding as she is sitting and admiring her friend who is concentrating on what she is explaining.

" Yah, Yoo Jeongyeon, are you listening? "

Nayeon turns her head to her friend and she ask, but she never expects that her friend is staring at her and now, they are staring at each other, with thier face very close to each other. , this is so awkward.

Jeongyeon moves closer to Nayeon without being noticed her own action as Nayeon is wating for her friend with throbbing heart.

* knock knock knock *

At that time, the door is opened after the knock and they both jump away from each other in surprise. Nayeon's mother appears at the door and she is staring at them with some unexplained espression on her face. 

" Lunch is ready. Come down, kids."

" Nae, Omma."

Her mother closes the door back and the two are left awakwardly. Jeongyeon is rubbing her neck and she is avoiding eye contact with Nayeon while the shorter girl is blushing totally. She stands up from her seat and pulls up Jeongyeon.

" Let's go."

" Arasso."

The two girls are laughing and playing with each other as they run down from the stairs. The parents are waiting for them in the dinning room and they enjoy thier lunch together. They eat happily while Nayeon puts curry in Jeongyeon's plate which the taller girl accepts gladly. They are in their own world and they don't aware of the eyes looking at them.

Jeongyeon leaves the house after they have done thier works. Nayeon sends her to the door and she is about to go back to her room when her father stops her.

" Nayeon-ah, please takes a seat."

" Nae? "

Nayeon doesn't know what the parents are up to but she just sits in front of them. She becomes uneasy beacause of their stare and she laughs nervously.

" Wae? You guys are making me nervous."

" Do you have any boyfriend? "

" Nae? Appa, what are you talking? I don't want to think about it."

" We are serious, honey. Well, your appa and I start to think about your relation with Jeongyeonie."

" What's wrong with her? "

" We both know she only has her father and so she is a little boyish. But it doesn't mean she will be your boyfriend. May be you can feel excited but it is just because you have never been in a relationship."

Her mother said and Nayeon frowns.

" We don't want a daughter-in-law, honey. I hope you will understand us."

He father said and Nayeon doesn't know what to say. She sighs and tries to look back her parents who are staring at her. This is too hard. How she can explain that she loves her friend if they keep staring at her like this?

" We have only one daughter. And we want her happiness. You should do the same for us, too, Honey."

" Omma, I am not in love with her, ok? "

Nayeon finally speaks.

" She is just my friend. We are friends. We are close but we are friends only. And she is not boyish. She is even more feminine than me. Don't judge people from their appearance."

Nayeon said and her parents can smile now. Her mother pulls her to them and they hug her.

" We are sorry, honey. But we are too worried for you. We want to give you the best."

" I know."

Nayeon sighs as she hugs them back. Finally, they let her go and she walks back to her room. She lies down on her bed and sighs. She never thinks about it. She thought her family will be ok with Jeongyeon since they have known her for years.

I love Yoo Jeongyeon but I don't dare to oppose my parents as they are the most important persons in my life. Now, what should I do?

 

 

 

 

xxx                             xxx                               xxx

 

 

 

 

" Thanks for the food."

The Myoui family is sitting at the table and they are praying before they eat. Mina closes her eyes and crosses her hands to make the prayers. This is their normal routine since they are a traditional conservative family.

Mina has to transfer to Seoul with her family as her father works at the Japanese Embassy for South Korea. It has been three years but Mina always love to stay in her bed rather than going out though she has her close friends.

Her parents are watching a drama after the dinner and Mina joins them as she still doesn't want to sleep. The movie is an action movie. While she is watching the main lead smoking, she remembered someone who is always with a cigarette. Aish, Mina, don't think about her on weekends. It is so good not to see her.

She shifts her focus back to the movie and she forgets about Son Chaeyoung. She said goodnight to the parents and comes back to her room after the movie has ended as her parents decide to watch other programs. She closes the door and sits at the table as she decides to study before she goes to bed.

* tap tap tap *

Suddenly, she hears a strange sound from the window and she furrows her eyebrows. 

* tap tap tap *

She widens her eyes as she hears it again. What is it? A ghost? She decides to go check and walks to the window. She is surprised to see a shadow at there. Mina is about to scream but the shadow moves closer to the light.

" What the- "

Mina has to cover her own mouth with her palm so that she will not scream for real. Chaeyoung signals her with her hands to open the window and Mina follows her command. The younger girl enters the room by the window.

" Ah, it's lucky for me. I'm afraid that you will not open."

" What are you doing here? "

Chaeyoung ignores her question as she sits on her bed.

" Your room is neat and tidy and beautiful. Just like you."

She said but Mina crosses her arms and she asks her again.

" What are you doing here? "

" I can't see you on weekends. I tried not to come but finally I gave up as I wanted to see you badly."

She said and she is about to take out her cigarette. Mina firmly said.

" Not in my room."

Chaeyoung looks at her and she pouts. But she takes out her hand from her pocket and she nods like an obedient kid. What? She can act like a cutie? Mina thinks as she rolls her eyes.

" Ok, now you have seen my face. You should go. My parents are still awake. They will know you are here and you will end up in police station."

Mina said and Chaeyoung shakes her head.

" They will not hear us. But Mina, how can I stay away from my heart? You have taken it already, my heart thief."

" Don't call me like this. It gives me goosebumps."

Mina said and Chaeyoung laughs. And she lies down on her bed.

" Can I sleep here? "

" No!!! What are you thinking? "

Mina whispers her shout and Chaeyoung is giggling. She is rolling on her bed and Mina is shaking her head at the kid.

" Your bed is too comfortable. Don't you really let me to sleep over? "

" No, now get up. You have to go back or your family will be worried for you."

Mina said and Chaeyoung gives her hand to the older girl.

" I will get up if you pull me up, unnie."

Mina rolls her eyes. But she takes the hand and pulls the girl up. Chaeyoung is surprisingly too light and it looks like she uses too much force. The younger girl is thrown into Mina's embrace which Chaeyoung gladly accepts the accident hug.

" Awww, unnnie."

Chaeyoung leans on her more and Mina tries to push her away. But she needs to be careful so that her parents will not hear them. 

" Let me go."

She pushes the girl away and Chaeyoung is giggling. What's wrong with this girl? She acts too strange today. She is laughing and giggling all the time. Mina thinks but she shakes her head and points to the window.

" Now get out. And don't do this kind of stuff next time. I can't believe how you can climb to here."

" I'm small, you know. It's not a big deal for me to play like this."

Chaeyoung said as she gets out from the window. Huh? Mina is surprised when she sees a long ladder leaning against her house. She glares at Chaeyoung who is giggling again.

" Surprise? Hahaha."

" Baka, just take your ladder back before it freaks out my parents."

" Arasso. Or you should take it. You can drop it for me next time I come visit."

" There will be no next time. Just go."

Chaeyoung sniffs and smiles, showing her dimple and Mina thinks she even looks like a tiger, but so much alike in a baby way. Baby tiger, it is. Chaeyoung folds the ladder and puts it at the back seat of her car as she jumps into it. She then takes out a cigarette and lights it.

And she waves goodbye to Mina and drives away as she enjoys the smokes through her lungs. Mina watches her car till it disappears and she closes the window. She still can't believe what has just happened. That kid, can no one stop that tornado?

She then walks to the bed and lies down. Oh, it smells like Son Chaeyoung now.

 

 

 

 

xxx                                  xxx                                       xxx

 

 

 

 

* Glass breaking *

" What are you doing?  Do you think these things are from your father's shop? I have to buy them. With money."

" Shut up, !! "

* slap *

Sakura sighs when she hears the noise from downstairs. They are at it again. Her father is drunken almost every night and he will fight with her mother.

This is normal nights of their family. Sakura tries to ignore the noises and continues studying but she can't. The screams become louder and louder and she puts down her pen, finally giving up.

She takes her phone and puts on her earplugs before she plays a random song at the highest volume. She closes her eyes and focus on the song so that she will not hear her parents' fight anymore.

She has been used to it but her heart can't still accept the pain. She still doesn't want to hear her mother crying or her father yelling.

* beep beep *

At that time, her phone vibrates and she unlocks to see the message. 

" Hey, Sakuchan, are you falling alseep? "

Sakura smiles when she sees the message. She has been living while watching over that person almost three years. And she has no idea of how she became friends with Lee Chaeyeon. She starts typing the reply.

" No, not yet. I'm studying."

It seems Chaeyeon is waiting for her reply. Sakura received another message from Chaeyeon as soon as she sent.

" Oop, that's why you are the top student. Studying on Sunday night, wow, that's really a nerd thing."

Sakura laughs Chaeyeon's reply. She smiles and types the reply immediately.

" Don't call me nerd. I am as normal as you."

" No, you are not."

They keep chatting the whole night till Sakura forgets about her parents. They remember to say goodnight when it is nearly 1AM.

" Sorry, if I kept you awake. You should be studying indeed."

" No, it's really fun to talk to you."

" Ok, let's sleep as we have school tomorrow. Goodnight. Sweet dream."

" Goodnight."

Sakura sends and she locks her phone screen. She puts the phone on her chest, hugs it with her fingers.

Oh, it's really good to talk to her. She thinks and she smiles. She removes the earplugs and lies down again on her bed.

Lee Chaeyeon saves the night again. In old times, it's only in her imiginations but now, she comes out from the book and saving her for real.

She doesn't know why Lee Chaeyeon wants to be friends with her. And she doesn't know why they even becomes friends. But it is the most happiest thing that have ever happened in her life. 

She knows she is not matched with Chaeyeon but it is enough for her already. She can talk to her, she can call her, she can see her smile, that's enough.

Sakura closes her eyes and tries to jump into the slumber land. Lee Chaeyeon, save me from this mess, will ya?