Kayak Disaster

The Girls of Summer

That morning at breakfast, the pool lifeguard, Momo came over to their table. 

Yeojin waggled her eyebrows at her. "Yo." 

"Hi Yeojin, hi girls. So Jihyo and I thought it might be fun if I closed the pool this morning and took you all kayaking down at the lake! Most of the counselors take their campers kayaking anyways. Does that sound fun?" 

Some of the girls looked nervous but most seemed excited, and even the girls who normally didn't like physical activity perked up a little. They were running out of ideas of what to do every day so an activity seemed nice. 

"Yeah, that sounds great Momo," Haseul answered. 

"So great," Yeojin said smoothly, and Yerim made a face at her. 

"Alrighty then, meet me back here after breakfast once you've changed into swimsuits!" She said. 

After the girls changed into oversized t-shirts and swimsuits, Momo lead them across the bridge to the man-made lake just ten minutes away. A small beach lay before the dock, with kayaks and canoes hanging off of it. The group walked through the warm sand in the late morning, approaching the long wooden dock. 

"Are you girls here to get your kayaks?" An older man, clearly the person who ran this dock asked. The girls nodded. "Get into groups of two and we'll get you on the water." They all nodded and everyone looked back at the older man, who handed them life vests and oars. 

"Over there is a really nice spot," Momo explained, pointing to a beach on the other side of the lake. "You can sit and relax, and there's a big cliff you can jump off of into the water." She also handed Haseul a basket. "In here is some sandwiches for a picnic." The girls thanked Momo and she sat down in a chair overlooking the lake, smiling and waving to the girls encouragingly. 

Heejin and Hyunjin paired up immediately and ran up to be the first in line. The old man helped them get into the kayaks and pushed them a little into the lake. 

"Just oar!" He said excitedly. 

"That's it?" Hyunjin yelled back, and he gave them a thumbs up before helping Yeojin and Yerim into their kayak. 

Heejin turned around to give Hyunjin a frightened look from the front seat of the kayak, and Hyunjin returned it. 

"Alright, come on. We can't worry about actually surviving kayaking right now. We have to think about being the first to get to that little beach area Momo was talking about." 

Heejin grinned and Hyunjin felt all her own worries fade away. "You're right, let's go!" 

The girls oared as hard as they could despite it being their first time, and very quickly, they fell into a rhythm. Hyunjin couldn't help but think they made a good team. 

So enough, they were more than halfway through the lake. Noticing none of the other girls were even close to them they paused for a moment to look at the beautiful clear skies, reflected on the rippling lake, surrounded by the perfect beach and trees. Heejin let out the prettiest sigh. 

"It's all so romantic...gosh, wouldn't it be nice to be in here with a boy?" 

"Let's keep going; we don't wanna fall behind," Hyunjin simply answered, trying to keep her heart in one piece. 

Meanwhile much further back, Haseul and Vivi were doing their best to oar as well. It had been a shaky start, going around in circles for a moment, but the pair had managed to find their way. 

"Look, we're actually getting somewhere!" Haseul cried excitedly, and Vivi laughed softly from behind her. Haseul turned around to smile at Vivi. "We're actually doing it." 

"We are," Vivi answered and smiled back. Haseul immediately froze, staring at Vivi's beautiful smiling face, until it was too late. The boat had started to lean over, and over, and over, until it finally tipped completely. 

"Ah!" They both screamed, heads bobbing to the surface. 

"THE SANDWICHES!" Haseul yelled even louder. Vivi smiled then and pointed up; there above the water was the basket of snacks, saved from getting tipped as well. Haseul gasped. "You're amazing." 

"I'm glad you think so," Vivi answered softly. 

Haseul frowned. "I'm sorry; this was my fault." 

"Don't worry about it. It's all part of the fun." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Once they had all arrived at the beach area Haseul opened the basket for everyone to get out their snacks. Immediately Yeojin grabbed all of the snacks, sneaking them away for just her and Yerim to share while the other girls grumbled and ate the leftover sandwiches

Once they finished eating the other girls were running around and jumping into the water. But Hyejoo and Gowon just had their backs in the sand, staring up at the clouds and sky illuminated by the bright sun. The girls needed a break after all of their hard work rowing. 

"That was so hard. My arms are already sore," Hyejoo said lowly. Chaewon giggled. 

"Same." 

"But..." Hyejoo started and Chaewon looked over at her; she was not used to hearing a but from her. "But it wasn't so bad." 

"I think so too. What made it better for you?" Chaewon asked. She was really surprised to hear Hyejoo didn't hate something involving being outdoors and physical activity. 

"I think it was cool because...because you were there with me," Hyejoo said, her already quiet voice going practically inaudible. But Chaewon heard it, not daring to look over at Hyejoo for fear she would blush harder than she already was. 

"Me too," Chaewon quietly admitted, and she didn't notice Hyejoo smile to herself. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Jungeun and Jinsoul were rowing back from the little beach, in the middle of the lake, when Jungeun stopped rowing. Jinsoul stopped rowing as well, looking up worriedly. 

"What is it Jungeun?" she asked. 

Jungeun turned around in the boat to look at Jinsoul. "I-I wanna tell you something. I just wanna say...I'm so happy I'm with you now. I'm so happy we're together, this has been the second best day of my life." 

"And what was the best day?" 

"Yesterday," Jungeun admitted, and they both shared a giggle. "I am so grateful you asked me to be your girlfriend." 

Jinsoul beamed now, the sun shining beautifully through her now black hair. "Me too. I think it's the smartest decision I've ever made." 

As if they had the same mind, the girls both leaned over at once to press their lips together, the beautiful landscape and air just making every touch all the more sweet. But that would be their downfall. As soon as they stopped paying attention, just absorbed in the kiss, Jinsoul's hand came to rest on the outside of the kayak. She put her weight on it, the kayak leaned over, and before they could even react they were falling into the water. 

As soon as their heads bobbed up they both started laughing loudly. 

"Of course that had to happen," Jungeun said. 

"We'll get our moment later," Jinsoul answered, and they both started swimming back to the dock. 

A bit behind them Jiwoo and Sooyoung were stopped too, phones out and held high above their heads, trying to capture the beauty of that moment. Jiwoo flipped the camera around to face her, playing a song out of her phone and lipsynching the lyrics. On the kayak, she tried to do a little dance move to go along with the words, but before she could even think her phone was slipping out of her fingers and into the lake water. 

"AH!" She screamed. Sooyoung looked up as soon as she heard the splashed and quickly realizing what was going on, screamed back. Jiwoo quickly threw off her t-shirt and dove into the water but by the time she got in, her phone had sunk beyond her reach. 

She bobbed her head out of the water and looked up in shock at Sooyoung. "Oh my god..." 

", Jiwoo..."

"My parents said they would buy me a new phone when I got back from camp, but... my followers!" She cried. 

Sooyoung looked back at her for just a moment before her expression hardened. "My parents said they'd get me a new phone when I got back too." 

"What?" Jiwoo asked. "What does that have to..." 

And before Jiwoo could finish her sentence, Sooyoung dropped her phone into the water too. 

"SOOYOUNG!" Jiwoo screamed, diving back in to try and look for it, but it was lost forever. "WHAT? Why did you do that?" 

"Because I...I... I think we should do this camp thing for real. We'll have phones when we go back home. I don't wanna sound like a boomer or anything but you and I...we need a break. And I don't want you to have to do that break alone." 

Jiwoo looked up at Sooyoung in shock, her heart pouding. Nobody had ever done anything like that for her before. 

Sooyoung sighed. "I'm probably gonna regret that though." 

Jiwoo giggled. "You might," she answered, hopping back into the kayak. "But thank you."