Lesson Nine: Do you Know What's the Right Choice?

T.P.H
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Soon as she heard the bell rang, Youngsoon quickly packs up and starts to leave until she sees Ms. Kang stop Shi Woo who was about to walk back home alone. Oh no, If Shi Woo got stopped for walking home, she predicted that the moment she passed Ms. Kang, she'll stop her too and make her late for the bus. However, ShiWoo doesn't listen to Ms. Kang and coldly brushed her concerns. He continues walking home by himself giving Youngsoon the opportunity to leave too. She politely bows towards Ms. Kang before running out the school gates and reached her bus stop. With only a second to spare the bus pulls in and opens its doors permiting her to come inside. When Youngsoon stepped on, she greets Mr.Jo. He was the bus driver who always drove her bus that took her to and from school every day. 


 

When she swiped her bus pass to get on, she goes for one of the seats near the doors but looked troubled once she saw he specific seats she wanted were taken. The only other choice was to sit in the back with a bunch of other strangers. It made her uncomfortable to walk past everyone on the bus; let alone ask them to let her through but she didn’t look anybody in the eye and took the empty seat in the back by the window. When the bus started moving, Youngsoon placed her backpack in front of her and turned to look out the window watching the passing cars and buildings till she started seeing familiar shops and streets that were near her home. 


 

When the bus pulled into the next stop, Youngsoon quickly got off and crossed the street to walk the next eight blocks or so to her apartment. Everyday she did this and no one ever seemed to question why a little seven year old girl was walking all by herself on a busy street. They either ignored her or minded their own business and she preferred that no one talk to her. She finally walks inside her apartment building and heads to the elevators when someone spots her and calls her name. “Youngsoonie! Welcome back! How was school today?” Juhyun was by the front desk and her eyes immediately lit up when she saw her favorite person in the building come home. 


 

“It was ok.” Youngsoon answered quietly as she walked up to the desk forgetting that she had to grab the pile of mail addressed for her dad. 


 

“Did anything exciting happen at school? What did you guys learn in class today?” Juhyun was always asking these sorts of questions as a way to get Youngsoon to open up. 


 

She answered with a simple head shake to answer the first question before bringing out a couple of assignments from her backpack to show her what she learned. “We’re learning how to do double digit addition problems.” 


 

Juhyun shakes her head looking through all her assignments before putting stacking them neatly into a pile. “Ahh that sounds difficult. Well I know you’re not going to have any problems solving these because you're a really smart girl Young Soonie~.” 


 

She bows before putting everything inside her backpack and heads for the elevators. Before the doors could close she waved to Juhyun. “I’ll see you later noona.” 


 

The older woman gets out of her seat to wave to the little girl and had the brightest grin on her face when she waved goodbye. “See you later sweetie!”


 

The door to Youngsoon's penthouse automatically unlocks and she walks in not even checking if anybody was home because she knew she came home before he did. She sets down her backpack on the chair beside her and takes out her homework on the kitchen island before looking in the fridge to see if there were any leftovers that her father might have brought home last night for her to eat. 


 

Surely enough there was some leftover pasta that she could warm up and eat. While it was in the microwave she heard the alarm on the door beep letting someone in. She couldn’t see who walked in since the kitchen was blocked off from the entrance. However, that didn’t mean she had a clue to who came in. 

 

She hears her dad take lazily off his shoes and heaves a tired sigh; muttering something incoherent on the way to the kitchen. A few seconds later her dad comes walking in not acknowledging Young Soon but it wasn’t something new to her as it's become a normalcy in this house. Every single time she came home and he come shortly after it was the same thing. He walks in and ignores her while she minds her own business only talking to her when he needed to; which he rarely did. 


 

While Youngsoon continues eating her pasta, Jongin walks to the fridge and grabs a bottle of water. He gulps it all in one go before going to the pantry to make himself a protein shake. When he turns on the blender he suddenly says something, “I’m having someone over so don’t come out of your room and bother me ok?” 


 

Youngsoon had stopped slurping her pasta but didn’t look up to meet her father's cold gaze. The only response he needed from her was a nod and he continued making his shake. All their conversations ended up like this. Some days they never say a word, other days it’ll be about her dad's friends coming over and how she needed to stay in her room for the rest of the night or she would be in big trouble. She never disobeyed or questioned why he treated her like she barely existed but the more they spent time together in silence, the more she began to accept this was how normal fathers and daughters act towards each other. 


 

“I think your smile is pretty Ms. Kang.”


 

That simple sentence kept repeating on a endless loop in her mind probably for the hundredth time. She couldn't stop thinking about it because very time she replayed that moment in her head she couldn’t contain the smile about to burst on her face and a red flush that heated her cheeks.  She hadn't felt like this since she was back in high school. 


 

“I think your smile is pretty Ms. Kang.”


 

She squealed and dug her face into one of the binders on her desk. “Ah!!! Oh my god no one has ever told me I had such a pretty smile before" then her squeals stop and her smile turned into a frown. "but I’m sure he must’ve said it out of consideration for Sooyun being rude to me earlier.”


 

Still, she felt like she was on cloud nine. Who wouldn't feel happy being told by some handsome guy that you're pretty. Then the dream fades when she realizes he’s not just any handsome guy she's gushing over. He had a kid and was married. “Aish! Snap out of it Kang Woori! You forgot the one important thing: he has a family. All them have families that they go home to and are happy to be with no matter how much you gush over their handsome features.” 


 

So she guessed Mr. Park did say it out of consideration for Sooyun’s rude remark. Much as it made her a little disappointed that it could just only be that at least he said something really sweet. Still, why did she have to have an embarrassing moment with two of the dads? First Mr. Park and then Mr. Zhang when he caught her falling. Like that wasn't enough for her poor heart to take, Mr. Zhang just flashes her an angelic smile that could burn a thousand suns. He really was handsome and alluring just like Mr. Park.


 

Ahhh what was wrong with her? She needed to slap herself a couple times for not thinking clearly. Gosh if she kept raving on about them it'll look like she has a thing for dads now? Judging from the way she cringed thinking about that, she guessed she only attracted to them for being so charming and y; yes even the dad’s who gave her the wrong impression she thought were cute too. She sighs thinking how lucky their wives must be to have husbands like Soo yun's Dad, Young Chul's dad, the twin's dad or Joohyun's. It just made her wonder about her future husband. Was he going to be just as handsome and sweet as them? However, it made her circle back to Mr. Park’s compliment, then Mr. Zhang catching her, and then remembering the rest of the handsome dad’s which made her start squealing like a sixteen year old girl. 


 

All of a sudden someone knocks on the door and Woori quickly tries to calm herself down and clear before letting person in.  “Come in!”

 

The door opens and Mr. Huang pops his head in to greet her with a cute smile. “Am I interrupting anything Ms. Kang?”


 

“No! ahem I mean no no.” her voice crack started her when she answered, and also took Mr. Huang by surprise but she quickly diverts the subject. “Is there something that you need from me?” 


 

“Oh nothing at all. I was just wondering how you were doing before I headed out. How did it go today? Did anything interesting happen?”


 

 “Hmm I wouldn’t say interesting haha.” That memory with Mr. Park and Mr. Zhang popped into her mind and a small smile creeped onto her face. Meanwhile, Mr. Huang looked at her funny wondering what she was thinking about? 



 

“You are talking about Taehyun and Jeongin right?” 



 

Her eyes widen a fraction realizing she was spacing out again. “Huh? Right, Taehyun and Jeongin. They actually haven’t talked to each other ever since we left the principal’s office. Although, Jeongin has been….” She stops midsentence debating if she should even bring up the two incidents between Jeongin and the twins, or his argument with Shi woo? 


 

“He has been what?” Mr. Huang asks urging her to finish what she wanted to say but Woori decided it was best if she didn't mention and shook her head. 



 

“Ah nothing actually. Forget about what I said. All in all everything went smoothly today."



 

Thankfully, Mr. Huang didn’t press any further and remembers what he came her for. “Well I’m glad that everything has died down for you since yesterday but just keep an eye out for those two or for anybody else in the class for that matter. We don’t want anyone causing trouble again.” 


 

“Understood.”

 

 

“Good. Well that’s all I wanted to tell you. I’m heading out for tonight. I’ll see you tomorrow Ms. Kang.” 



 

She bows and waves goodbye, “Goodnight Mr. Huang. Get home safely.” 



 

Before he leaves he says one last thing. “Ms. Kang? Don’t get too overwhelmed by these kids. I know they can be quite a handful but I mean what kid isn’t?" she wryly chuckles at his optimism. "My point is don’t get discouraged about your job as their teacher. There will be times when these kids won’t listen to you at all or do what you say and get themselves into trouble but that’s what you’re there for. To teach them from what is right and wrong.”



 

“Yeah… I’ll keep that in mind.”



 

Mr. Huang looked sheepish afterwards. “ I don’t know why I just said all that. You haven’t even made your decision yet and here I am trying to persuad you that these kid's aren't bad.” she awkwardly smiles especially since it wasn’t the time to talk about that topic just yet. “No pressure about your decision by the way.” he says at the very last moment to convince her that that was not why he came her. 



 

It was total bull that this had no pressure on her whatsoever. It was anything but a simple decision. In fact she felt all the pressure in the world on her back; it almost could sink her to the center of the earth. “Hm thank you for telling me that Mr. Huang.” she said with a lace of stress in between her words which he didn't catch on and waves goodbye before heading out.

 

Woori heaves a big sigh of relief and thoughtlessly looks at the disaster the class created today. At least it wasn’t as bad as when she was first hired for the job. Hell, she could finally get these gremlins to sit down and work on their assignments (sometimes) but it didn’t mean they act totally out of control in the classroom. They disrespected her a lot, still made a mess in the class, and worst of all, they would hurt or be mean to each other which is not how a class should behave towards each other. If there was a way they could all just sit down and not pick a fight every five seconds cause their dislike for each other is strong which is the cause of their major disputes that get ugly real fast. 


 

It was another reason why she shouldn't stay here. Everytime she listed something that was bad about this class it should’ve been the her answer to why she should resign but what was stopping her? What was making her rethink about quitting? Where was all this hesitation coming from now? Was it because her conscience was telling her it wasn’t right to give up after you just started? Is it because she needed the money to pay her rent? Or is it because of the hot dad’s? 


 

“Ah!! I don’t know anymore!!! What is wrong with me?!?! Ok! Snap out of it Kang Woori. You’re not thinking straight and it’s” she takes a quick look at the time on her phone. “Seven pm! Ok. You’re just having another one of those rough days and the only way to get through it is to get something in your stomach. Then tomorrow, it’ll be a new day and you’ll have a fresher mind about all of this. Yes. That’s a good idea.” 


 

She starts to pack up when her eyes noticed the pile of journals on top of her desk that were untouched. Her lips pursed contemplating on whether she read some today and then finish the rest tomorrow. “Hm I’ll look at them first thing in the morning but it would be wrong to leave it all for tomorrow. I should read at least a couple of them today.” The moment she picked one of the journal's up, her stomach began to growl. That alone was the deciding factor that she needed food and booze stat. 


 

Finally she could be herself again as she happily walked through the aisles of the convenience store that was nearby her place. She felt kind of relieved to be in here. For once she didn’t have to pretend to be a teacher and most of all be swarmed with her class’s chaos. She could just be her non teacher self and not be judged for it. 


 

“Hm, let’s see what I should eat today? Kimbap? Tteokbbokki? Pork Cutlet?” Woori was being indecisive about her options; like that was a surprise. She usually goes for two bowls of instant ramen but today that’s not what she was craving for. Today was one of those stressful days where she needed to unwind and eat whatever the crap she wanted. “Ok! Two cups of jjapaghetti and some skewered sausages and fish cakes! Ah maybe some strawberry milk for the spiciness. Ohh and definitely a couple of soju to ease me.” 


 

She heads to the alcohol aisle and scans through all the flavored sojus on display. She finally finds her favorite; the peach flavored at the bottom of the shelf. “Let’s see. At least two for me and one for Hyori unnie~ In case she had a long and excruciating day like I did. It must be my lucky day since  I'm taking the last bottles.” 


 

When she closes the fridge she doesn’t notice someone behind her and bumps into the said person making him drop all his items on the floor. “Ah sorry.” She immediately apologizes and squats down to help pick up the scattered items on the floor. 


 

When she bent down to help, the person had quickly grabbed everything off of the floor almost too hastily. Since she was at eye level with the person now she noticed him tilting his head down more like he was avoiding eye contact with her and when he had grabbed the last item on the floor he quickly gets up and walks away. 


 

Woori couldn't help but to feel like he was strange and then thought about the way he dressed was odd. He wore nothing but a black hoodie and jeans, with a mask to cover his mouth and a dark cap to cover his eyes. It’s like those creepy suspicious people you see on the news or in a horror movie stalking their prey before they kidnap them or murder them. “Wait what are you doing? Now you’re suspecting people of being creeps? That’s when you know you watch too many scary movies to be super suspicious of people you don't know." 


 

She quickly grabs the soju bottles and heads to the cashier line to pay. That's when she notices the odd man waiting in line too. Although, he seemed anxious as if he was in a rush to leave. The line looked already long and took awhile for the next customer to be checked out. The more the line didn't keep moving the more she kept getting suspicious of his character rethinking it over again that this man was definitely creepy. Looking at him closely he looked oddly familiar. Did she perhaps meet him somewhere before? How could she even recognize him when he had half of his face covered?


 

At first she tries to take a closer look when a couple guys from the front suddenly backed up and bumped into him to drop his food again. He sounded really annoyed when his food dropped out of his hands again so he squats down to pick his things up. Woori instinctively went down to help and their hands touched when they both grabbed for one of the items. Her eyes immediately met his and in an instant she could recognize those innocent doe eyes anywhere from all those pictures she found on insta from fan accounts (and quizzes).

 

 

“Eh? You're Do Kyungsoo? What are-”


 

“Ssshhh!! Be quiet!” Instantly he went to cover Woori’s mouth from exposing his true identity and cautiously looked around in case anybody heard them. 


 

Meanwhile, Woori's eyes widened a fraction. She couldn’t believe it was really Do Kyungsoo. She was on cloud nine meeting her idol for for the second time and he was touching with his hand. As creepy as that sounded she was a fangirl first and foremost. Once he sees that nobody was particularly paying attention to them, he brings his hand down from Woori’s mouth before standing and helping her up too. 


 

She should be acting normal with him but she couldn’t stop staring at his disguise then at his perfect beautiful eyes. It was getting pretty obvious the way she was gawking at him and it made the actor uncomfortable, “Do you mind not staring at me like that? Now people are actually going to get suspicious about who I am.” 



 

He already looks suspicious with how he was disguised. “Ah-sorry. It’s just I didn’t expect it to actually be you in that disguise.” 



 

“I have to wear this or else I instantly get swarmed by the press and a bunch of my fans. But that's the price you pay for being a well known actor.”


 


“Am I allowed to ask what you’re doing here?” she felt so shy to ask such a ridiculous question because he was an idol she absolutely adored.  



 

“Oh I just finished shooting a scene nearby, I'm only here to grab a couple of snacks before I head home.” 



 

“I see.” She takes a quick peek at the items he was purchasing and asks, “Are some of those snacks for Shiwoo?”


 

The moment she brings up his son, the actor’s expression drastically turned sour. It was similar to how he reacted the first time they met last week. “I told you I don’t know who that is? You keep bringing his name up when it's obviously don’t know who you’re talking about.” 



 

“Look Kyung- I mean Mr….Do? I won’t tell anybody that he’s..you know your...But you shouldn’t keep denying it because I am his teacher and I just wanted to introduce myself to one my student’s parents that's all.”



 

He looked really reluctant to believe her but sighs and finally gives in. “Good. If you do tell anybody then you’ll face a lot of hell from my lawyer. Exposing private information of a celebrity is not a slap on the wrist.”



 

“I certainly wouldn’t want to deal with that and plus you’re an idol I admire. I can't defame you. That takes away all integrity that I have. So you can really trust me.”



 

“So are you really his teacher?” It was an odd question, one that should’ve been the first and important one but he wanted to ask just in case. 



 

“Yes. Why does everyone ask that it's so hard to believe?" she says it like she wasn’t pretending to be a teacher just to finally get a job. 



 

Kyungsoo nods and his eyes averted down to the bottle of sojus in her hand and the amount of food in the other before he smirked. “What kind of elementary school teacher would drink on a Tuesday night?” 



 

Her eyes widened and she started to get embarrassed. “Oh this! No this is not what it looks like. See I-”



 

He chuckled, stopping her mid explanation “It’s fine. I’m just teasing. I completely understand. You had a rough day and you need to let go. I would probably do the same if I was stuck in a room with a bunch of children five days a week.”



 

Well they’re not just a bunch of children, one of them is your son; Woori thought to herself. Then the line started moving and Kyungsoo was at the front, setting his stuff on the counter. 



 

“By the way, sorry about how I acted the other day. I was on a rather tight schedule so I didn’t have time to idly chat with you.” 



 

“It’s fine. I was actually more surprised seeing you in person. I’m a huge fan of your work.”



 

His eyes lit up when she said she loved his movies. “Really? So is it just a normal occurrence that most of my fans are as cute as you?”



 

She immediately turned red at the way he flirted, “Really?! You think I’m cute? I mean that’s really flattering of you to say. I-”



 

“That’ll be 11,497.36 won”



 

She stops fangirling to think where she heard that voice before? It sounded oddly familiar. So Woori peeks her head out of the line to get a look at the cashier and when she did the amount of surprise on her face said it all. 


 

“Ah! Mr. Kim” she didn’t mean to say the father’s name out loud but it got his unsuspecting attention. When he sees her he doesn’t acknowledge her at all, making the situation entirely awkward afterwards. 



 

Meanwhile, Kyungsoo was in between the awkward situation and observed the both of them with curiosity. “Do you two know each other?” he asks Woori. 



 

“Uh yes. His kid is one of my students.” 



 

“Oh is that so? Then that means he’s classmates with you know?....”



 

Woori nods knowing who he was talking about while Kyungsoo extends his hand out to greet Mr. Kim. “Well it’s nice to meet you.”



 

The expression on his face was deadpan and looked at Kyungsoo’s hand like an oddity but he ignored shaking his hand. This didn't deter Kyungsoo and he automatically brings out his credit card to pay. “Oh, I’ll also be paying for this cute young lady’s stuff too.”



 

“Eh? Wait, Mr. Do you don’t have to do that?”



 

He waves it off making it certain that he was paying for her things. “It’s fine. It's on me for you being a cute fan..” he playfully winks at her, almost sending her into a state of ecstasy. After placing her items on the counter, Mr.Kim starts scanning them while Woori observes and thinks to herself that this was where he was rushing to this morning and probably where he was that night she first met him at his place. 


 

“Here is the new total for everything.” Mr. Kim says monotonously as Kyungsoo hands him his credit card to pay. 


 

When they gathered everything, Woori didn’t forget to say goodbye and awkwardly bows before walking out of the store alongside Kyungsoo. 


 

“Well this may have been one of the strangest convenience store trips for me and probably for you don’t you think?”


 

“Haha most definitely. Um, I can’t thank you again for paying all of this.”


 

“Hey, anything for a fan of mine. You know it’s too bad that I didn’t know sooner that Shiwoo’s teacher was a really cute fan.”


 

She bashfully laughs and tries to hide the blush blooming on her face. “Haha well if you came to the open house last week you could’ve but I’m sure Shiwoo updates you about what happens at school.”


 

Woori had missed the tight expression on his face before he wryly smiled when she looked back at him. “Sorry, there was nothing I could do about that. I’m fairly busy as it is. I have a lot of booked events on my schedule but if you need to contact me about a meeting, reach out to my manager. She’s the one who takes most of my calls whenever I’m in the middle of work.” He hands Woori a fancy business card that had an agency name imprinted on it. On the back it had a person’s phone number with their name emblemed in gold too making it probably one of the fanciest business cards she’s seen. 


 

Then her thoughts quickly jump to bringing up her concerns about Shiwoo walking home alone after school. However, if she mentioned it, maybe he would tell her that he knew and didn’t expect her to do anything. So would it hurt to discuss with him some way for his kid to get home safely?


 

 “Uh Mr.Do there’s something I need to talk to you about.”


 

All of a sudden, Kyungsoo’s phone rings, cutting off their conversation. He takes the call and judging from his expression it probably was his manager on the phone yelling and asking where he was. “Ok ok calm down will you woman? Sheesh, I just went to get a small bite. I’ll meet you back at the car. Just give me five minutes ok?” 


 

He quickly hangs up and sighs looking guilty towards Woori, “I’m sorry that was my manager. I have to go but whatever you want to talk about we can discuss it another time. Remember to call my manager.” 


 

“Wait I-”


 

Before he leaves he turns around and grasps Woori’s hands stopping her from whatever she was about to say. “It was really nice seeing you again Ms. Kang and oh you can address me as Kyungsoo next time. It’s weird when people call me Mr. Do. Makes me sound like I’m old.” 


 

He waves goodbye and winks, making Woori malfunction until the actor disappears around the corner. She slaps herself realizing she had missed her chance all because she stupid fangirl self took over instead of her serious self. “Ugh what is even happening today? I’m like a little high school girl reacting like this with all these dad’s. Wait, that sounds really wrong. Ugh and all I wanted to do tonight was just eat and drink.” 


 

She walks back home exhausted and hungry. In dire need of some alcohol in her system. What she didn’t expect was another surprise that was waiting for her at the apartment. When Woori walks in she notices it was awfully quiet which felt very odd. She knew if Hyori was home she would always make it known she was here by either watching something on the tv, cooking dinner, or arguing with her mom on the phone. 


 

First, Woori cautiously

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter