Lesson Six: Keep An Eye on Your Class

T.P.H
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Do you know why you are here Ms. Kang?”


 

She had an aching suspicion but answered with a meek nod; forgetting how to speak. Woori thought it was because she was little that going to the principal's office scared her but even as a mid-twenty-year-old woman she still felt nervous. Ever since she received that message from the Headmaster about meeting with him on Monday morning, she couldn’t get an ounce of sleep. Right now, she rather prefers being in any place but here. Heck, she preferred being stuck in a stinky trashcan of all places.


 

Headmaster Wu delayed his response and profiled Woori as if she had done something wrong. Technically she might have done something bad. Ok maybe borderline illegal but did the headmaster already find out about her scheme?


 

“You're here because I wanted to discuss with you a very important matter. Something that I know that not a lot of people do…”


 

It was hard for her to even swallow. “A-a-and what might that be sir?”


 

“I know who you really are….”


 

Her hands were sweating and turned as dry as the Muhabi desert. She needed to drink some water quickly before she starts choking. However one issue at a time. Could this be the moment Woori was going to get arrested and possibly be humiliated and shamed in front of so many rich people?

 

 

“L-look let me explain. This is all a big misunderstanding. To be honest I actually wasn’t supposed to be-”


 

“Eh? Misunderstanding? What are you talking about?” Woori halts her confession when she sees the Headmaster just as confused.

 

 

 

“I don't know what you're rambling about but I just wanted to tell you that I know you're a miracle worker. You got through your first week without any complaints.”


 

“O-Oh. So that's what this is all about. Thank god." she chocked out as she wished there was a hold deep enough for her to jump in and scream.

 

 

 

“I got to say Ms. Kang I have hired thousands of teachers for this class but they never could last a whole week let alone a day with them but you did! On top of that, your first open house was a raving success! I heard a lot of marvelous things about you from the parents that came. So I emailed you to give you an early congratulations!”

 

 

“So~…..I did a great job?”


 

“More than great, you were fantastic! They all thought you were wonderful and were so glad to have met you."

 

 

 

It was like she could breathe again and actually relax in the chair she was sitting on. She wasn't going to die just yet.

 

 

 

"So what were you saying about this being a whole misunderstanding Ms. Kang?”


 

Woori's head perked up and she quickly answered him. “Um nothing! hehe, I meant absolutely nothing by it. I just got so caught up in the moment I thought that I did something wrong when I clearly didn't do anything wrong.” if you were in the room you could see how fake her smile was pretending that everything was ok when it wasn't. But the headmaster moves onto another topic.

 

 

“Anyways that wasn’t the only thing I wanted to discuss with you this morning.”


 

“Is this one good news too perhaps?” she was a bit hopeful after the first few minutes of this discussion but judging by the headmaster's expression it looked like it wasn't meant to be good news at all.


 

“Ms. Kang be completely honest with me. How do you feel about this class? What I mean is do you have any problems or complaints with any of the children?”


 

At first Woori was ready to rat these kids out for being disrespectful and completely chaotic in the class. No matter how hard she tried to act like a teacher, none of them want to even listen or respect her.


 

“Ms. Kang?"


 

She got embarrassed for spacing out again and answers him by quickly nodding her head.

 

“So tell me is there any problems whatsoever with the class?” 


 

Woori wasn't a really good actor when it came to faking her expressions and she had to find neutral words to answer him. But the headmaster just sighs and already knows what Woori thinks about this class. “It’s alright Ms. Kang. I can't blame you cause you're not the only one who’s had an extremely difficult time dealing with these children. I thought maybe someday they would change if a teacher like you came along. Ms. Kang I think you’re doing an excellent job which is why I don’t want to watch you suffer anymore by their hands. Mr. Huang and I have privately discussed that if you want to resign then we are absolutely ok with it. We will even give you your paycheck early and write letters of recommendations for the next job you apply for.”


 

“Wait what?” she was at a loss of words and didn't know if he was being serious.


 

“I know it’s a lot to take in but we’re not asking you to make a decision now. However, you have to give us your final answer by Friday."

 

 

 

"I don't understand. Wouldn't that mean you have to go looking for another teacher for them then?"

 

 

 

"Well we don’t want to keep forcing you to endure these kids antics and if they’re only going to keep torturing every faculty member that we have then-”


 

All of a sudden someone knocks on the door and Mr. Huang peeks his head into the office to make his presence known. “Goodmorning headmaster, goodmorning Ms. Kang. I'm here to tell you it’s time for your meeting with the superintendent.”


 

The headmaster sighs leaving their conversation at a standstill. He starts getting up and Woori follows after him.

 

“So Ms. Kang can you tell me that you'll think about your decision then?”


 

“I...I will sir.”


 

Woori didn’t know why she answered to think about this. She thought she was just going to tell the headmaster that she was going to resign and take that check but then she didn't know why there was something tugging her back like she had to think about her decision first. When she thought about if she stayed as their teacher she began to think she would forever be tortured by these demons but then she thought how guilty she would feel just resigning and almost giving up on these kids.

 

 

Yep she definitely needed to sort her mind cause she was an indecisive person. “Ah!! Seriously!!! Kang Woori you're such an idiot!!”


 

Suddenly a kickball rolled towards Woori’s feet breaking her out of her thoughts.


 

“Ah! You guys kicked it too far!” When Woori picked up the ball someone had come running towards her and it was someone oddly familiar. A young woman with blond hair comes running over to her eyeing the ball in Woori's hand.


 

“Sorry about that! My class tends to go a bit overboard when they’re playing kickball.” 


 

“Oh no worries. Um here."

 

 

The blond girl takes back the ball before she looks at Woori with a spark of recognition. into an O shape as she points at Woori with recognition on her face. “Ah! I’ve met you before. You’re the girl I ran into in the hall that week ago.”


 

“Ah hello. My name is Kang Woori. By the way I’m so sorry about that. You see I was really late for my interview with the headmaster and usually when I run I don't pay attention to my surroundings and-”


 

“I knew it! So you were there that day to be interviewed as class 1-13’s new teacher. I’m Ms. Minatozaki but all the faculty and staff at this school call me Sana.”


 

“Oh it’s nice to meet you but how did you know that I-”


 

“Yah! Unnie! Did you find the ball cause the kids are getting antsy?” Then another familiar face comes running towards them and it was the girl with the short brown bobbed hair that was with Sana that day they bumped into each other.


 

The short brown hair girl took one look at Woori and seemed to recognize her too. "Ah I know you."

 

 

“Jihyo didn’t I tell you that she was there to apply as class 1-13’s new teacher?”


 

“Wait so it's true you really are class 1-13's new teacher?”


 

Woori nods looking a little lost at the two girls joyous expressions. “We’re so glad!”


 

“Eh? Wait a minute I’m sorry did you say that you two are glad I'm their teacher? Why?”


 

“Well obviously everyone will know who’s the new teacher for the class 1-13. It’s either some hawty old lady or some stuck up forty year old professor that takes over this class but it came as a surprise to everyone when I heard it was a young teacher that was hired.”


 

“Now that we actually know you’re the new first grade teacher, we’re honestly a bit relieved. I knew they were going to hire you the moment we met.”


 

“How long has it been since you started?” the girl named Jihyo seemed curious.


 

“Hm maybe over a week and a half.” Both Sana and Jihyo looked even more amazed and nodded their head with appraisal.


 

“Wow that may be the longest a teacher’s ever lasted with this class.”


 

“Wah you must really get along with your class.”

 

Woori would be rolling on the ground with endless laughter just hearing Jihyo’s innocent statement. If only she knew what she had to go through for the past couple of days and the main reason why she had stayed the longest amongst the other teachers. It was because of the money.


 

“Welllll I wouldn’t say I’m in the comfort zone with them yet but does everybody in this school know about this class?”


 

“Oh you have no idea. The older faculty members hate class 1-13 and tend to gossip about how horrible they are in the teachers lounge. Honestly though I think they’re overreacting a bit. I actually think they are all so adorable.”


 

“Hehe yeah an adorable bunch alright.” she quickly looks back to see her class but regrets it when she witnessed Mihee and Misun tormenting poor Taehyun with dodgeballs. “Yep they're all adorable seven year olds.”


 

“Oh by the way I’m Ms. Park or Jihyo is fine."

 

 

"Are you both first grade teachers too?"

 

 

"Yep! So we will be working very closely together.”


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter