Lesson Seven: Don't Call During Work

T.P.H
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Come on hurry up! Or we’ll be late for the movie!”


 

“Alright, alright I’m coming! Geez are you always this pushy?” he was only joking but he regretted it because he should’ve known better. She starts glaring at him and although it was supposed to scare him it only made her look adorable. 


 

“Yah don’t push it buddy. I’m only like this because I’ve been dying to see this movie for months now and time is of the essence. So move!” 


 

“Need I also remind you that maybe you’re acting like this because you’re pregnant? and this could be one of your incessant mood swings I’m experiencing?” it was just a tiny bump but he could see that his wife was going through the pregnant woman phases very quickly. 


 

“Hmph just because I’ve got a bun in the oven doesn’t mean I’m a all the time. I’m only like that to you mister take his time.” 


 

“Ssh no cursing and being mean to me in front of the baby. You know that child is going to catch on quickly and think it’s allowed to make fun of me.”


 

“Good! That means I taught my kid well.” she pats her belly just thinking about that scenario. 



 

While her husband pouts not liking the idea. “Sometimes I wonder why I got married to a bully.” 


 

She graces him with this overly sweet smile and wraps her arms around his right. To strangers they looked like any normal couple. “Hehe it’s because you have a thing for small but deadly girls Kim Junmyeon.” 


 

“Yeah sure that’s the reason.”


 

“Oh god! That ending made me cry so badly. I can’t count how many times I had to wipe the tears off my face. Oh it was just so sad.” 


 

After the movie was over the couple started walking back to their car and discussing the movie they had just watched. While Junmyeon’s wife was still wiping the tears off her face, he felt indifferent about the movie his wife adored so much.


 

“Eh I thought it wasn’t that sad to be honest.”


 

His opinion wasn’t taken too nicely judging by her incoherent screeches of protest. She was incredulous at his neutral critique about the movie and more so couldn’t believe he didn’t cry once during that movie.  


 

“You know what you just don’t understand the concept of that movie sir.”


 

“Um I think I do.” Junmyeon chuckles testifying against his wife’s accusations. 


 

“No no no if you understood it then you would’ve cried when the boy was taken away from his father never to see each other until who knows how many years. It because that dude is going to miss out on his kid’s whole childhood and what kind of parent wouldn’t want to live throughout their kid's life.”


 

Junmyeon grasps her hand and kisses it to divert her attention towards him.


 

“You know I think I’m starting to understand just a little.”


 

She playfully hits him knowing that he said that so she wouldn’t get mad at him further. When they got into the car both of them were very quiet. Junmyeon looks over to his wife and sees her just blankly staring out the window. 


 

“What are you thinking about darling?” 


 

Her head picks up after hearing that endearment. “Hmm? Oh you know me I think about a lot of things.”


 

“Well what’s the one thing that’s been on your mind lately?”


 

Her hand immediately looms over her stomach and Junmyeon should’ve known. She gently soothes her stomach and whispers. “What do you think he’s like?” 


 

Junmyeon chuckles at her question but he didn’t mean any offense to it. “First off, how do you know it’s going to be a boy? You didn’t take a peek at that sonogram did you?” his wife quickly spun around in her seat looking insulted at his suspicious accusations. 


 

“What?! I don’t need no stinking sonogram to know that my child is going to be a boy! It’s all in a mother’s intuition. A mother always knows if it’s either going to be a boy or girl. And when he finally comes out, I’m going to make sure he gets the best life a kid could ever wish for.” 


 

“And of course we will do just that. I’ll make sure of it.” Junmyeon smiled reassuringly towards his wife who smiled back believing him. 


 

“You promise?” she asks once more.


 

“What?” 


 

“You promise to take care of him and give him the best life possible right?” 


 

Junmyeon had never seen this look in her eyes before but he wasn’t concerned because he knew the obvious answer and nodded before keeping his eyes on the road. “Of course. I promise this kid will be treated like the president of South Korea.” 


 

“Yah don’t exaggerate. I don’t want to spoil the kid too much.”


 

“Oh I’m definitely going to spoil the kid just to spite you.” she sticks her tongue out not liking his little joke. “By the way, when you asked me why did you sound like something bad’s going to happen to you?”


 

“What do you mean?” 


 

“I mean seriously you’re asking me these questions out of the blue. What’s up?” 


 

“Nothing! Can’t I just ask these questions out of security? I just wanted to ask because raising a kid is a two person job and I don’t want to be the only person loving and caring for him.” 


 

Junmyeon’s heart cracked feeling sad that that was what his wife was feeling deep inside. So he put one hand over her stomach while one hand was on the wheel. “Don’t worry. I promise once that baby comes out, I’m going to make sure I take care of him and you.” 


 

“You swear under the stars?” she asks for extra measure while Junmyeon chuckles. 


 

“Yes I swear on all the constellations.” he finally adds, making his wife satisfied with his answer. The whole car ride they never took their hands away from her belly. Even though the baby wouldn’t come for another few months, the both of them were ready for him. 


 

*beep*

 

*beep*


 

“That’s 6,105.29 won” 


 

“Uh...Ok let’s see. I know I have my change in my purse somewhere.” the old lady fervently searches through her big purse holding up the line and thinning out the cashier’s patience. 


 

He already loathed coming to this job every single day but it was the only one that would take him despite his personal background information. The more he heard her looking through her bag the more he felt he was going to explode so he remembered to just breath in and out but screw it the lady was taking too damn long just to get a bottle of mineral water, some ginseng soup and one pickled radish. 


 

“Almost got enough hold on…”

 

‘Kill me’


 

“Hey new guy!”


 

His head immediately swerved towards where his manager was standing. Although, that wasn’t his name he associated himself as the new guy because he was the only new employee at the Mart. His manager just waves him to come over. 


 

“Thank god.” he mutters to himself as another employee comes and takes over his place. 


 

“Is there something you need? Boss?” 


 

He didn’t like his boss. He was too condescending for someone who was just the manager of this dump. Plus as the new guy he was basically getting bullied to do all the chores that his boss didn’t want to do. 


 

“Uh yeah there’s um a phone call for you.” 


 

He raised his eyebrows in suspicion, “From who?” 


 

“I don’t know, someone that goes by the name of Mr. Huang? Said he needed to speak with you urgently.” 


 

“Ok um I’ll be right back sir.” 


 

As he goes towards the back his boss just had to add, “While you’re there tell your friend that this isn’t an operator line for you both to gossip and chit chat!” 


 

“Yeah yeah just worry about eating all the leftover chips in the fridge rather than coming after my .” of course he said this under his breath so that he wouldn’t get into trouble. If only God knew all the things he would like to say to his boss. 


 

When he came inside the break room he picked up the phone, “Hello?”


 

“Is this Mr. Kim Junmyeon?” 

 


“Yeah who else would it be? Who is this?”


 

“Hi this is Mr. Huang from Busan Academy and-”


 

“Look you just called me during my working hours so you can just quickly tell me what you’re calling about?” 


 

“Um right. It’s about your son. Kim Taehyun?”


 

“What about him?”


 

“Something happened at school today. He got into a fight with another boy in his class and the boy started bleeding through his nose and I need you to come down to the school and talk with the headmaster and the boy’s parents.” 


 

This was the last thing he needed to hear today. He deeply sighs and rubs the front of his temples. “Can’t this wait until tomorrow? I don’t get out of work till 9 and I don’t start working till the afternoon so perhaps I can meet them first thing tomorrow?” 


 

There was a bit of silence on the other end of the line before Mr. Huang replied. “Alright that will be fine. We’ll see you tomorrow at 9 am sharp.” 


 

“Ok goodbye.” Junmyeon hung up the phone and could already feel his headache getting stronger but he still had seven hours left till work was over. Hopefully that old lady wasn’t still there counting her change or that was going to set him over the top. 


 

“*sigh* Mrs. Lim set a reminder that Mr. Wu has a meeting at 9 am with Mr. Kim Junmyeon. It’s Kim Taehyun’s father.” 


 

“Alright sir.” 


 

The headmaster was just sitting in his chair cleaning his reading glasses while listening to Mr. Huang’s unsuccessful phone call. “Honestly why do you even bother calling him? You know he wasn’t going to come. He just got the job you know so leaving in the middle of work is out of the question.” 


 

Mr. Huang shook his head. “You know what you should’ve called him instead of me since he knows you a lot more.”


 

Headmaster Wu just starts laughing, “Nah he would’ve been more pissed to hear from me.” he already knew that if he was the one to call him he would’ve gotten an earful knowing fu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter