Lesson Three: Open House

T.P.H
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Ok! Huh not bad for cleaning a place that looked like a lion's den mixed with a gorilla's cage. It looks a lot better than it originally did.” The classroom looked a lot better than it used to but it still wasn't clean to the point where you could see your own reflection. It took awhile for Woori to actually find the kid’s desks, sweep the floors, and get rid of whatever was oozing along the walls. “Now there’s just the 95% of the classroom that's left to clean.” 

 

It was still a mystery how these kids could trash school property like their parents aren't going to pay for it. She still couldn't believe that this is where she’ll be working five days a week till summer break. Wait, what was she even saying? She’s only here to receive her month’s rent. So by the time she recieves her first paycheck, she’ll quit and then find another job that was less likely to make her feel like she was in hell. 

 

Suddenly someone was rapidly knocking on the door. She rushes over to let them in and was surprised who it was. It was the teacher who substituted her class with a bandaid over his bleeding wound from this morning. Although, what was his name again?

 

“Um hi. Can I help you?” The teacher had a pleasant smile on his face that it could match the sun. Man he probably likes to smile a lot and is what makes him so charming. 

 

“Hello, do you remember me? I’m Mr. Xi. Mr. Huang told me you stayed behind to clean up the classroom and I thought I could help make it go along quicker. Oh may I come in?” Woori quickly moves to let him in and he bows before looking over the room with sounds of delight and amazement. 


 

“Oh! You found the desks! All this time I thought they had deconstructed it down to nothing but firewood but I should've known better for them to be hiding somewhere in all this.” His face may be cute but he was definitely a bit weird the way he reacted with the classroom's dirty interior. Maybe that concussion really did a number on him. 

 

“Um I really do appreciate you coming to help me Mr.Xi.” 

 

“I’m Luhan. You don't have to adress me by my teacher name it sounds a bit weird." he chuckled when he saw Woori seem awkward and also hesitant about his request.  "It's fine. We’re going to be co-workers from here on out but you can call me Mr. Xi when around the kids.” 

 

“Right Lu-Luhan." his smile grows even bigger when she says his name. "As I was saying, I really appreciate your help but I don't want to keep you here when you could be with your class. Which I thought aren't you supposed to be teaching them or something?” 

 

“Oh! My class is at art class right now so I'm on my break like you are. They’re all good students that I trust them to not get into any kind of trouble."

 

 

"You must be really happy to have a class like that." Woori mutters not really knowing what to say. 

 

 

"Oh I heard that you got sent to the nurses office thirty minutes into your job.” Luhan brings up changing the topic. 

 

How the hell did word travel around here so quickly? She gets hit in the head with a toy one time and everyone starts talking about it. 

 

 

"Ah haha I guess I must've been knocked out longer than I thought if word spread around so quickly." 

 

He took a good look at her expression and chuckled. “I take it that you were introduced to the rest of the class, no?” judging from her face he understood "Don't you think they're a bunch of delightful children?” 

 

“Yeah little angels.” she nervously chuckles thinking about when those kids would eat her alive for the rest of today. 

 

“You know you just have to give it time. They’re not as bad as everyone thinks.” Woori wondered how he could defend these kids who almost hurt him and possibly others in the school too? “Once you stick with these kids for a while you'll see they’re all not so bad to be around. Of course I’ve had my fair share of scars from when I was asked to substitute but at the end of the day they’re just innocent little first graders.” 


 

"Innocent" wasn’t quite the word she would use for these group of individuals just yet. Ok there were exceptions for maybe a few of them but she only had been with them for less than an hour so anyone could be her enemy if she stepped on the wrong foot. 

 

Finally, when Luhan and Woori had finished cleaning the rest of the classroom it looked like how any standard class should've looked like. Well it was almost normal. There were a few weird colored stains and dents on the walls that couldn’t be fixed even if she tried. Either way, Woori was exhausted and felt satisfied that she did the impossible. 

 

“Luhan, I can’t thank you enough for helping me clean the classroom. Thank you again.” 

 

He smiles appreciating her gratitude. “It’s the least I can do since I thought you would already have your hands full planning your class's open house.” 

 

“Yeah I’m-I’m sorry open what now?” 

 

“Our school’s open house. You know it’s already the third week of school so that means this Friday night, teachers are finally going to meet their student's parents.” 

 

“The-their parents?!” Woori immediately apologized to Luhan for scaring him with her outburst making her try to calm herself down so she could get the full details. “Haha so you mean to tell me that we are going to have to meet all their parents this Friday night. That's what you're saying correct?” 

 

Luhan nods his head excitedly while Woori's face paled. “Yes! You get to discuss with them about how much progress their kid has done in the class. There should be a list of activities for the class to prepare before Friday night so when their parents come, they can see what they do when they are in school.” 

 

Woori felt like jumping out of a window right about now but she chose not to after contemplating for a moment. “That's....just perfect. So you said it's this coming Friday?” 

 

“Yeah! Isn’t it just exciting? I love open house. You can get to meet and see what the children’s parents are like!” 

 

On the outside Woori tried to keep a smile on her face but internally she was literally ting herself over at this predicament. ‘Crap’ 

 


 

There was still a couple of minutes left before the whole class would be back. That meant that there would be enough time for her to wallow in despair just for a moment. What in hell did she get herself into? Sure just getting the job  was only the beginning of her troubles. Now she was going to have to meet these tykes parents and what's worse was try to fool them into thinking she was an actual teacher. Of course she fooled the principal and vice principal but having to dodge around and lie in front of eleven parents is too much. 

 

She was totally going to get her fried and never in her life did she think a regular Friday night would make her so stress. She was this tempted to just throw the towel in and go home. God why did she have to make the dumbest decisions? At first the money sounded so good but thinking this through again she could get into a lot of trouble if she got caught. She repeatedly hits her head on the table scolding herself for being so stupid and doesn’t hear someone coming in. 

 

Her head came up when she had finished her wallowing and noticed eleven pairs of eyes looking at her with mixed reactions. Mr. Huang also gave her a peculiar look wondering what she was doing? 

 

“Um Ms. Kang are you alright?” 

 

She straightens her body realizing that she was in front of people so she might have looked like she was crazy. “Yes! I mean why wouldn’t I be?” 

 

Mr. Huang looked at her unsuredly before changing the subject. “Ok then. Well I see that you've put a lot of elbow grease into fixing the classroom up. It looks great!" she smiled appreciating his compliment " So to put you up to speed, their class schedule should have a list of what they are supposed to be learning in this portfolio here.” He proudly presents the said portfolio and Woori could’ve sworn she saw his eyes lit up when he took a look at the organized binder. She was guessing that he must've done it himself. “I color coded everything that is related to all the issues you might not be so sure of how to deal with so anything you’ll need will be right here.” 

 

“Thank you Mr. Huang. Um let me walk you out there's something I need to discuss. Class, why don’t you all find your desks now that I finally reorganized them.” She doesn’t wait for them to do as she says and hurriedly escorts Mr. Huang out the door to have a private chat. 

 

“So Mr. Huang there's something I wanted to ask you. It's about this upcoming open house.” 

 

“Oh! I’m glad you brought it up. I was meaning to talk to you about that. At this school we usually make it a nice occasion for the parents to enjoy. So All the faculty has to dress appropriately and we'll serve complimentary food for the parents by the end of open house.”

 

“Yeah uh-huh so is it really mandatory that I have to show up cause I mean won’t the parents be a bit confused when they see I’m not their teacher they met from the beginning of the year?” 

 

Her strange question rose some suspicions with Mr. Huang. “Eh? Why shouldn’t you be there? Ms. Kang I believe this is the perfect time for you to introduce yourself to the parents. As a matter of fact I believe having you at this open house is the most obvious choice.” 

 

Woori had no words left to argue and smiled through the pain and accept that she had to go because he expected her. 

 

“I always love open house night. I get so excited planning the event. I think the best part about the night is when you meet the children’s parents for the first time.” 

 

“So I’ve heard.” Woori grits between her teeth while Mr. Huang was distracted with the time. 

 

“Ms. Kang I wouldn’t worry too much. Just have the kids do the activities on the planner and have them complete it before Friday night. You’ll be fine.”

 

“Haha easy for you to say.” she grumbles before heading back inside to be instantly met with the classroom looking like a literal warzone again. Do these kids never get sick and tired of chasing each other around the classroom?

 

“Ok ok that’s enough class! Come on, I just cleaned up the classroom for you.” 

 

“Eat my shorts Ms.Kang!” It was that kid Joohyun again. He had the foulest mouth out of all of them and she was about to teach him a lesson when she noticed one of the twins was about to cut Jeongin’s hair while holding really big, sharp scissors in her right.  

 

She immediately rushes ov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter