Lesson One: Don't Apply for the Wrong Job

T.P.H
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“THAT’S IT! I QUIT!” Ms. Choi exclaimed, fleeing her classroom and looking like she went through hell but never came back.

 

“Wait Ms.Choi! You can’t leave your class alone. They need adult supervision!” The unfortunate person who had to deal with this predicament was none other than vice principal Huang. He had just come down to check on Class 1-13's new teacher when he found her in a manic state.

 

He almost fell back when her big framed body turned to face him. She spits out, “I. don't. care. I can’t stand another minute with these...mongrels! No! More like little devils! I'm officially quitting and nothing, not even the headmaster can stop me.”

 

A quick look of panic ran through his eyes as he tries to talk her down. “Wait Ms. Choi, please reconsider. We need a teacher for this class!”

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Huang but I'm not going back in there. Even if you raise my pay grade, those kids are unbearable. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I will retrieve my stuff at a later time and will give my resignation letter to the Headmaster by the end of the day.”

 

The vice principal finally gives in and breathed a heavy sigh to himself at his predicament. He was about to head back to the Headmasters when he notices Ms.Choi frantically looking through her bag.

 

"Is something the matter Ms. Choi?"

 

"No....I just can't see to find my wallet-"

 

*Tap*

*Tap*

 

They both turn around to the sudden tapping on the classroom window and just see a little girl giving a chilling grin at the both of them. What she does next was slowly hold up a leopard-printed wallet in one hand and some very sharp scissors in the other.


 

Ms. Choi immediately went pale at the sight. Her little feet scurry to open the door but found out the girl locked her out. She rushes to the window and her fiery eyes bore into the little girl who was unnerved by the demonic look in her eyes.

 

With flared nostrils and a face as red as a volcano, she jabs her finger against the window. “Yah you little rat! That’s a very expensive wallet! If you do anything to it, your father will pay expensively for it!! You hear me! You better open these doors and give it back or else I’ll-” and right before her very eyes, bits and pieces of her wallet became shredded; almost like it was snowing but with leopard print precipitation.

 

Seeing her wallet destroyed caused her to crumble onto the floor while the vice principal couldn't bear to watch this anymore. So seeing as there was nothing else he could do he starts walking back to the Headmaster's office. Seeing as how it was already 9 am and he needed an advil already, this was going to be a very long day. One filled with a lot of paperwork and dealing with finding another teacher. What a good start to his Friday morning he says to himself looking troubled.

 

 

Huang Zitao, is the current vice principal of Incheon Academy. His duties include assisting teachers in the elementary division like planning their school festivities and other fanciful events. However, most of his time was spent now in Class 1-13. Ms. Choi, the teacher who had just quit, was the fifth teacher this month that was hired to be in charge of the infamous class 1-13. Sadly he would have to keep searching for another teacher. One who won't turn crazy or almost get killed by children. At first, he thought Class 1-13 just needed a good and responsible teacher. However, by their third teacher, he had a feeling this class was going to be a challenge. In all his four years of working at the school, he can confirm this had the worse ill-behaved children in their entire school.

 

What was he going to tell the headmaster now? He couldn't bear to tell the headmaster another teacher quit yet again. His head would probably go rocketing through the roof. Just a couple of knocks on his side and he carefully steps in to see a mountain of paperwork piled high on the headmaster's desk.

 

 

"Good morning Mr. Wu." Mr. Huang greets, catching the Headmaster off guard.

 

“Geez Tao I should put a bell around you. You're as silent as a ninja."

 

 

Mr. Wu quickly catches a couple of files falling off his desk and organizes the piles again. Mr. Huang looked extremely guilty but came over to control the towers of the paper better. "So what did Ms. Choi call you for? Is everything alright?”

 

Judging by the vice principal’s troubled expression, he had an idea of why she called them in the first place. The headmaster sighs and hands Mr. Huang a hot cup of coffee. “So how long did this one last?” he asked before taking a sip from his mug.

 

“It's been four days and three and a half hours before she called it."

 

 

He throws away his reading glasses to rub the incoming headache. "How unfortunate. Damn, she didn’t even make it to the weekend.”


 

“God how hard is it to settle down a couple of first graders?! I mean it's just sad that a bunch of adults is getting beaten by seven-year-olds. It's embarrassing! Even for me and I'm not the one teaching them.”

 

 

"I do agree that it is shameful our school can't manage this class but we'll have to keep trying."

 

 

Mr. Wu calms down and sighs before asking one other question. “So what did they do to make her finally burst?”

 


Immediately, Mr. Huang presents Ms. Choi’s torn-up Gucci wallet. The headmaster was left speechless at what was left of Ms. Choi's prized belonging. “It was Kim Mi Hee who had her wallet and used a pair of scissors too well... you get the gist. Let’s just say that Ms. Choi has to obtain a couple of new credit cards, her driver's license, and an insurance card.”

 

A snort comes out of Mr. Wu's mouth the more he looked at the wallet and imagines the comedic scenario. He quickly behaves himself as he realized that that was unprofessional but he had to give a hand to these kids for being so creative in finding ways to make their teachers quit; it is quite comical. “Well, there's no other solution but to reopen the position and start interviews again. Mr. Huang, if you don't mind starting up the application for a new teaching position, and Oh! Open up a position for a new janitor too. Apparently, Mr. Song has broken his back when he waxed the gym floors yesterday. So he will be out of work probably until the end of the school semester.”

 

Mr. Huang does as he was told and starts preparing to open up the applications again. He had saved the tab in case it would happen again. “Oh Tao, while you’re writing for the teacher position, make sure whoever reads it sees how desperately we need them to apply. Knowing there are probably dozens of teachers not to mention rumors going around about that class. It’ll be hard to find someone who is willing to take these kids for the rest of the school year let alone at all.”

 

“Sir, do you really think we’ll find someone eventually to handle these kids? Not even South Korea's finest educators can handle them. May I suggest calling their parents for a meeting and-”

 

“No!” Mr. Wu cuts him off already against the idea. “Their parents will do nothing to change their kid's attitude; believe me. I’m not giving up just yet Mr. Huang. If my name isn't Wu Yifan I swear on my entire life I will get these kids to be model citizens! We just haven’t looked hard enough. I know there's someone out there who can handle these little tykes by the end of July.”

 

“Perhaps Superman.” Mr. Huang muttered more to himself while continuing the new job openings for the school.

 

“Trust me, Tao.” Mr. Wu softly said as he stared at the beautiful view outside his office window. “I have a good feeling about the next one. Whoever he or she is, they'll put these kids on the right path.”

 

Despite the headmaster's optimism, Mr. Huang was doubtful about who they hire next. Whoever it was will probably be gone by next week; just like the rest of them. “Gosh, I already feel sorry for the next teacher. I mean I would rather take the janitor job than be a teacher for Class 1-13.”

 

‘Just who on earth could handle these kids?’ Mr. Huang wondered as he threw away Ms. Choi’s ruined Gucci wallet into the trash and then hit submit for the two new job openings to be released.


 

 

“WHERE THE HELL IS KANG WOORI?!?!”

 

Chef Yukyeom, one of the best-renowned chefs and owner of a two-Michelin-star restaurant, made the worst possible decision ever. That decision was to hire some clutz as the garbage girl. Today was the day she was finally going to get it. There were times she had a couple of accidents around the kitchen but this may be the worse screw-up among other incidences in the past.

 

Luckily the kitchen was soundproof, so the chef’s screams and heavy stomps were mute to the ears of customers having their luncheon. The rest of the kitchen staff, however, cowered in fear and had to move out of the chef's way; helplessly watching their boss rampage through.

 

“WHERE IS SHE?!?! KANG WOORI I'M GOING TO KILL HER!!!!” he furiously looks at his staff but they either didn’t know or were about to cry from how scary he looked at them.

 

He walks up to one of the waitresses and without a second too soon she pointed a shaky finger toward someone hiding behind the bread rack. That someone was a matter of fact, Kang Woori, trying to blend in with the stack of bread. "Trying" but not actually succeeding in being invisible.

 

 

Chef Yukyeom sees her and immediately screams, “YAH! YOU STUPID WOMAN! COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE BREAD RACK RIGHT NOW!”

 

Woori timidly comes out from where she was hiding and felt embarrassed in front of the entire kitchen staff. She walks past her co-workers and stands in front of the chef but she put a few meters in between them; just for safety precautions. Then she didn’t know why but she had the guts to smile at her boss as if she didn't do anything wrong. But he looked like in a few seconds he might slap that smile off her face. With that crazed look in his eyes, he might just be mad enough to turn her into an appetizer or entree for tonight's special.

 

 

“Hehe. Afternoon head chef….” Woori decides to look down instead of staring at her own boss pretending that her shoes were more interesting to look at.

 

The head chef tries to calm himself down before he could give this idiot a piece of his mind. Pointing to the array of dishes clustered in the sink behind him he starts off by saying, “Tell me exactly, why did I hire you here for?”

 

“To-to do the dishes, take out the garbage, and-”

 

“Is your job to handle the food in my restaurant?” she winces when he coldly cuts her off.

 

Woori hesitates but mutters, “No…..”

 

“DOES” he emphasizes scaring everyone else in the kitchen too. “It involves you taking out the food to the customers?!” he begins to raise his voice now and Woori could feel her left eardrum about to go numb.

 

 

Eventually, she answers him with an uncertain no.

 

“So tell me, what made you think you can serve my food to my customers with your dirty hands?”

 

“Ok, can I just say in my defense I washed my hands? Second, that couple had been waiting for their food to come out for a while and I saw their order was ready. I noticed everyone was preoccupied so I thought I could help out a little-”

 

"ENOUGH!” he explodes again making Woori shrink back. “You intentionally knew that it wasn’t your job to be a server. You knew your job was to wash the dishes and clean the-”

 

“Um, sir? Sorry for interrupting again but I know what my job is. However, the part where I tripped with the customer's food, technically wasn’t my fault. In fact, you should take into consideration how slippery the floor was. I mean because of that I slipped and embarrassed myself in front of the entire restaurant. Also, I know this isn't just another reason but you really look a lot like Thomas the tank engine right now.” Some of the kitchen staff had dropped what they were doing and their jaws were slack while Chef's head looked like it was going to blow through the roof.

 

 

Sometimes Woori wanted to slap herself for letting go too far. She even started seeing that little vein pop out and it always bothered her. She swore that thing looked like it had a mind of its own. God, it freaked her out the more she kept looking at it.

 

“Kang. Woori. In my kitchen, we don’t blame anybody or anything for our mistakes. Maybe wherever low dump you worked at could allow you to do this but we can only blame ourselves for our mistakes. Which is why I'm blaming myself for even hiring you. You’re fired and also banned from ever stepping foot into this place until the day you die but considering how much you earn and how hard it is for a girl like you to get hired I don’t have to worry about you ever coming and eating here ever.”

 

Woori’s face dropped and she stepped forward to stop him, “Wait, that's not fair. You can’t ban me from ever coming here!”

 

The head chef swiftly turns around with a snobbish look. “And why not? It's my restaurant. Besides you’re just the garbage girl. Which means you have no significant value to my business. Now get out of my sight.”

 

 

He pushes her out the back door making Woori land on her . She's never felt so humiliated. Let alone in front of her co-workers but she doesn’t let it bother her. Even if this was the fifth job she had in the past two months she remained optimistic. On the bright side,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter