Chapter 2

WIFE BY ARRANGEMENT


CHAPTER TWO 

 


WHEN Changmin was out of earshot Yunho said, " My compliments. Shes charming. "

" You really like her? " Siwon  asked. 

" Yes, I think shes admirable. I admit that I expected a floozy, but shes a lady, which must be a first for you. "

" Its time you settled down. "

" Now wait,  " Siwon  said hastily. " You're rushing me. "

" Why did you tell her I mentioned marriage? " 

" Because you did. "

" I said if I was thinking about marriage it would be to someone like her. Its a very big step. "

" All the more reason to take it while youre young enough to be influenced by a good woman. " 

" You didnt. "

Yunho gave a wolfish grin. " Apart from our mother no woman has ever influenced me. "

' Thats not what I heard. Wasnt her name Magdalena? All right, all right, " he finished hastily, looking at his brothers expression. 

" Magdalena Conti didnt influence me, " Yunho said coldly. " She merely taught me that permanent relationships are not for me. But its different with you. Beneath your irresponsible ways you have the makings of an excellent husband. "

" Oh, no! I see your game. One of us has to marry and provide a Jung Martelli heir, and you've cast me as the sacri-ficial lamb. Well, to hell with you, brother! Youre the eldest. "

" Forget it. Im past praying for. "

" And you dont want to give up your nice enjoyable life with all those accommodating ladies, " Siwon  said indignantly. 

" Fidelity has no charms for me, " Yunho admitted. 

" Why cant Bernardo do the family duty? He's our brother. "

"Our half-brother. He carries our fathers blood but not his name, owing to the circumstances of his birth. Besides, he isnt Mamma's son, and his children wouldnt be her grandchildren. No, it has to be one of us, and you're the one who's in love. "

" Yes, but-- "

" Hush, shes coming back. Dont be a fool. Make sure of her while you can. "

They rose to greet Changmin and Siwon  kissed her hand. She'd recovered her poise and accepted his tribute with a smile, but inwardly she was still wary. 

During the main course a number of visitors came to their table, all of whom eyed Changmin curiously, and she began to be self conscious. It was like dipping a toe in shallow water and finding yourself swept away by a tidal wave. Something was happening here that she didnt understand. 

 

At last the visitors had all gone. As Changmin was enjoying her chocolate mousse Yunho said, " Siwon , I see Felipe di Stefano over there. Hes a man you need to speak to. "


When Siwon  had gone they looked at each other.

" I thought youd appreciate the chance to tell me exactly what you think of me, " Yunho said. 

" If I did that we'd be here all night. "

He laughed. " Go on, say it. "

" Where do I start? Where would it end? Your impertinence in checking up on me with my employers, and then this afternoon Charles Smith never existed, did he? "

" Im afraid not. "

" You were auditioning me, sizing me up to see if I was suitable. "

" Certainly I was curious about the woman whos made such an impression on my brother. If I'd told you who I was you wouldnt have acted naturally. I wanted to see you when you werent trying to impress me. "

" Your conceit is past belief. What makes you think I'd have been trying to impress you? "

" I credit you with enough intelligence to know that you cant marry my brother without impressing me first. "

" Always assuming that I want to marry Siwon . I dont think I do, not if it means being related to you. "

" I admit I was a little clumsy. But perhaps youll forgive me when you hear what I have to say. I admired your behaviour greatly, especially when I abandoned the sale and you lost a large commission. You controlled yourself splendidly. "

" You did that on purpose? " she breathed. 

" Of course. And you passed with flying colours. "

" Siwon  tends to be emotional and impulsive. Your cool, northern efficiency will be good for him. My congratulations. You've gone the right way to earn my respect. "

" And youre going the right way to earn a chocolate mousse over your head, " she threatened, not in the least appeased by these compliments. "  You actually-you-actually-? "

" The lady has finished eating, " Yunho said to a waiter, hastily removing her plate with his own hands. " You may bring the coffee- No - " He corrected himself on seeing the glint in Changmins eyes. " Best leave the coffee until later. " 

When they were alone again he turned to her. " Please dont be angry. I promise you, the opinion I formed of you was entirely favourable. "

" The opinion that I formed of you was far from favourable. The things you said to me-- "

" I wanted to see if you'd respond to my money-- "

" If I was a fortune-hunter! " she snapped. 

" The choice of words is yours, but the meaning is the same. "

Changmin prided herself on her practical common sense, but this man annoyed her enough to make her toss it aside and take risks instead. The next words seemed to come out of their own accord. 

",Youd have looked silly if I'd said yes, wouldnt you? "
she said coolly. 

" Why? Are you saying that you wouldnt have deliv-ered? I doubt it. I think you're a woman of your word. If you'd promised to sleep with me, you'd have slept with me. We'd have enjoyed a mutually pleasurable experience-- "

" Oh,  really? "

" I promise you it would have been. "

" Perhaps youd like to give me signed testimonials from Elena and all the other fictitious ladies. "

" They're real enough, and I think they'd vouch for me although not, perhaps, under these circumstances -- "

" At the price you offer I should hope they'd vouch for you under all circumstances. Otherwise they wouldnt be giving what you pay them for, would they? "

That flicked him on the raw, she was glad to notice. 

His eyes glittered with a strange, dark light. " Perhaps I've only myself to blame if you sharpen your claws on me, "

he said after a moment. " Let it be. I made you a genuine offer -- "

" And never mind what it did to Siwon . 
If youd accepted I'd have been doing him a favour, and he'd have seen that. "

" People always see things your way, do they? "

" With time and persuasion. "

She regarded him wryly. " Does that mean that, given time and persuasion, you think you could have seduced me? "

He was suddenly alert. " I dont know, he said slowly. "

" I simply dont know. "


It was like playing chess, she found, and suddenly very thrilling. Shrewdly she moved her queen into the centre of the board, inviting attack. " Perhaps you just didnt raise the price high enough, " she murmured. 

" What are you saying? "

" Dont you know that a woman who seems honest can charge twice as much as her more blatant sisters? "

" Oh, yes, " he said softly. " I know that. What now? "

" Come a little nearer, and I'll tell you. "

Slowly he moved his head closer to her.

Changmin leaned forward until her hair lightly brushed his face, and her breath fanned his cheek. 

" I wouldnt want you if you were the last man on earth, "
she whispered. " Go and jump in the river,  and take your money with you! "


He turned his head so that his eyes looked directly into hers. They were hard with astonishment, cold, appraising. 

" You are a very unexpected lady, he said. And a very brave one. "

" I dont need to be brave. You cant harm me because you have nothing that I want. "

" Except that I hold your marriage to Siwon  in my hands. Im particular about who I take into my family -- "

" Then you'll be relieved to know that you wont asked to accept me, " she said, drawing back and facing him with furious eyes. " Let me make my position plain. "

" I hope Siwon  wasnt planning to propose, because my answer would be no, and you are the reason. "

" Changmin -- " came Siwon's dismayed voice from behind her. He had returned in time to hear the last words. 

She jumped to her feet. " I'm sorry, Siwon , but its over. We had a lovely romance but it was just a fairy tale. 
Now its reality time, and your reality is your very un-pleasant brother. "

He seized her arms. " Dont go like this. I love you. "

" And I love you, but Im saying goodbye. "

" Because of him? Why? "

" Ask him. Let him tell you if he dares. "

She pulled free and stormed away. Siwon  started after her but Yunho growled, " Leave this to me. "

Anger gave speed to Changmins feet and she'd already whisked herself halfway down the Long Gallery before Yunho had caught up with her. 

" This is ridiculous, " he said, reaching for her arm. 

" Dont call me ridiculous, "  she seethed, shaking him off. " Whats ridiculous is you thinking you can move people like pawns on a chess board. "

" I havent had much difficulty so far, " he was rash enough to say. 

" So I guessed. But you hadnt met me then. "

" Indeed I hadnt-- "

" Its been a short acquaintance, not a pleasant one. This is where it ends. "

She turned away sharply and headed for the street. Outside, the night traffic of Piccadilly honked and blared. 

Yunho caught up with her at the door, taking her arm again. " Please, Changmin, come back inside and lets discuss this calmly. "

" I dont feel calm. I feel like throwing something at your head. "

" You're punishing Siwon  because you're mad at me, and that isnt fair. "

" Not, its not fair. Its not fair that he has you for a brother, but he's stuck with you. I'm not, however, and I intend to keep it that way. "

" All right, insult me if it gives you pleasure -- "

" After the way you've insulted me, it gives me more pleasure than I can say! "

" But dont do this to Siwon . "

" I'm doing it for Siwon . We'd only make each other unhappy. Now, will you please let me go, or do I have to scream for a policeman? "

She pulled free and stormed out onto the pavement, heading straight across the road to where she could see a taxi approaching. She was too angry for caution. Through the noise of the traffic she thought she heard Yunhos horrified voice shouting her name. She didnt see the car bearing down on her, only the glare of the headlights against the darkness. Then Yunho seized her and swung her violently sideways. Somebody screamed, there was an ugly sound of brakes, and the next moment she was lying in the road. 

For a moment she couldnt breathe. But she didnt seem to be injured. A crowd was gathering around her, hands outstretched.

Siwon  burst through, crying, " Changmin, my God! Oh, my God! "

His voice rose on a note of horror and she realised that he wasnt looking at her but at his brother. Yunho lay in the road, bleeding from a wound in his arm. With a terrible sick feeling Changmin saw why Siwon  had cried out.

Yunho looked as though hed severed an artery. Blood was streaming from his arm in a river, and if something wasnt done fast he had little time left. 

" Give me your tie, " she told Siwon . "Quickly! " 

He wrenched it off, while she fumbled in her bag for her pen. Her head was spinning but she fought to clear it while her hands moved swiftly, wrapping the tie around Yunho's arm above the wound, knotting it, slipping the pen through and twisting it. Yunhos eye's were open and he was looking at her, but she tried to think of nothing but what she was doing, twisting, twisting, while the tourniquet around his arm grew tighter and tighter, until at lastoh, thank God!the bleeding lessened and stopped as the vein was closed. 

" Siwon--- " she gasped. 

" Yes, " he said, taking the tourniquet from her. " I'll hold it now. "

" Thank you- I'm feeling a little --- " Her head was swimming. 

" No, youre not going to faint, " Yunho murmured. 

" Arent I? "

" A woman like you doesnt faint. She takes over and gives orders, but she never weakens. " His voice was almost inaudible, but she heard every word. 

" Let us through, please. "

Suddenly an ambulance was there, the crew urging their way through the crowd, taking over. There were police too, talking to the motorist who was wringing his hands and protesting his innocence. Changmin forced her head to clear. She still had something to do. 

" It wasnt his fault, " she said urgently to the policeman. 

" I ran out in front of him. "

" All right, miss, we' ll talk at the hospital, " the young constable said. 

 

Siwon  helped her into the ambulance and sat beside her, pulling off his jacket and wrapping it around her, warming her against the shock. Yunho presented a ghastly sight, covered in blood and with a pallor on his face that suggested death hadnt been far off. One of the crew was giving him oxygen, and at last he opened his eyes over the mask. His gaze wandered to Changmin, then to Siwon . 

His expression was intent, as though he were sending a silent message to one of them. Or perhaps both. 

At the hospital Yunho was hurried away for emergency treatment, while Changmins grazes were tended. She emerged to find Siwon  sitting in the corridor with two policemen. She repeated what she'd said before, exoner-ating the driver. At last they left, satisfied, and she could be alone with Siwon . 


He put his arms about her. " Are you all right, darling? "

" Yes, it was just scratches. What about Yunho? "

" He's in there. " He indicated the opposite door. 

" They've stopped the bleeding and given him a transfu-sion. He's got to stay here a few days, but he's going to be all right. "

A doctor emerged. " You can come in for a minute. Just one of you. "

" I'm his brother, " Siwon  said, " but this is my fianceé please. "

" All right, but try to be quiet. "

Yunho looked less alarming without his blood-stained clothes, but still very pale. He was lying with his eyes closed, not moving but for the light rise and fall of his chest. 

 

" I've never seen him this still, " Siwon  said. " Usually he's striding about, giving orders. What did he say to make you storm out like that? "

" I can hardly remember. Whatever it was, I shouldnt have put his life in danger. "

" I only know that he was bleeding to death and you saved him. Thank you, amor mia. I know he can be a bear, but hes a good fellow really. Thank God you were there! "

" If I hadnt been there it wouldnt have happened, " she said, touched by his belief in her, but feeling guilty at the same time. 

Siwon  slipped an arm about her shoulders. She rested her head against him and they sat together, exchanging warmth and comfort. 

" Are you angry that I called you my fianceé?  " he asked after a while. 

" No, I'm not angry. "

" Do you love me enough to forgive Yunho, and take me on? "

Yunhos eyes had opened and he was watching them. 

" Say yes, " he urged her. " Dont turn us down. "

" Us? "

" if you marry one Jung Martelli, you get the whole pack of us. "

" I'll be a good husband, " Siwon  vowed. " Good enough to make up for Yunho. "

" What more do you need to hear than that? " Yunho asked. 

" Nothing, " she said with a smile. " I guess I can take the risk! "

 

Suddenly everything was happening fast. The traumatic evening had swept her up in a fierce tide of emotion, and under its influence shed promised to marry Siwon . 

In an instant, it seemed she was part of the Jung Martelli family. Yunho had stretched out his good hand and clasped hers, weakly, but with warmth. " Now I shall have a sister. "


Within twenty-four hours her left hand bore a ring with a large diamond. Two days later she saw the brothers off from Heathrow Airport, knowing that her own ticket was booked for a month ahead. 

Now she was on the flight to Palermo, still wondering what had come over her. Beside her sat dr Kim Jisoo : Jisoo,  her closest friend and flatmate, who was enjoying a well-earned holiday. 

" I'm so glad you asked me to come with you as bridesmaid, " Jisoo said now. " I'm looking forward to a few days just living for pleasure. "

Besides being brainy and hard working Jisoo was also pretty, daintily built, and a social butterfly. Her recent stint on hospital night duty had severely restricted her romantic life, and she was intent on making up for it, if the smile on her delightful, impish face was anything to go by. 

Fancy you being swept off your feet, Jisoo chuckled, 
" Much more my style than yours. "

" Yes, its not like sturdy, dependable me, is it? "Changmin mused. " And the way I acted that nightI swear I didnt know myself. Normally I'm a quiet sort of person, but I was ranting and raving, telling him where to get off "

Jisoo collapsed with laughter. " You?  Ranting and raving? How I wish I'd been there to see that! "

" I swear its true. I even told him I disliked him enough to turn Siwon  down. "

" Wasnt that true? "

" No, it wasnt. But he got me so mad I said the first thing that came into my head. "

Jisoo looked mischievous. " You did say he had two brothers, didnt you? "

" You're incorrigible, " Changmin laughed. "I've only met Yunho. "

" Ah, yes, the monster Yunho. 

" I have to be fair. Hes not a monster. I was mad at the way he inspected me, but he could have died because of me. He's welcomed me into the family, and he actually restored his cancelled order afterwards. Someone turned up from the Ritz and collected it. "

" Tell me about the other one. "

" Theres also a half-brother, called Bernardo. Their father had an affair with a woman from one of the mountain villages, and Bernardo was their son. They were together in the car crash that killed them both, and Siwon's mother took the boy in and raised him with her own sons. "

" What an incredible woman! "

" I know. Her names Haneul, and if I'm worried about anything, its how she's going to view me. "

" But you showed me the letter she wrote you. It was lovely. "

" Its just that someone who can put her own feelings aside to do what she saw as her dutywell, you'd never really know what she was thinking, would you? "

" Its what Siwon  thinks about you that counts, " Jisoo said staunchly. " Hey, isnt that Sicily, down there? "

From here they could see the triangular island: close to Italy, yet apart from it, separated only by a narrow strip of water, the Straits of Messina, yet with its own distinct identity. 

A Sicilian, Siwon  had told her, is always a Sicilian first and an Italian afterwards.Sometimes he is barely an Italian at all. So many races meet in us that we think of ourselves as a race apart, doing things our own way. 

 

She was searching for him as soon as she and Jisoo left Customs. And there he was, with another man. He waved eagerly to her and broke into a run. Changmin has-tened towards him, while Jisoo brought up the rear, smil-ing, pushing the baggage trolley, and eyeing the second man with pleasurable speculation. 

Siwon  hugged his bride, kissing her between words. 

" Its been sucha longtime, my darling. "
" Yesyes, " she said kissing him back. 

It was marvellous how certain she was now that she was here. Within a few minutes of landing in Sicily Changmin knew she had come home. Everything about this place felt perfect, even before she'd discovered the details. 

And that could only mean that she was doing the right thing in marrying Siwon . 

" This is my brother, Bernardo, " Siwon  said at last, indicating the man with him. 

" Half-brother, " murmured the man. 

" Bernardo, meet Changmin, my bride-to-be. "
She introduced Jisoo to Siwon .

But when he tried to present Bernardo his brother waved him away with a grin. 

" We've already introduced ourselves, he said, while you two were saying hello. "

This caused general laughter. Bernardo took charge of the trolley and they made their way to the car, where he invited Jisoo to sit in the front with him. 


" They wont want to be disturbed, " he said, smiling. 

So many sensations were converging on Changmin that she had only a confused impression of the most brilliant colours she had ever seen, the bluest sky, the sweetest air. 

Bernardo swung the car around the outskirts of Palermo and down the coast, and soon the Residenza Jung Martelli came into sight. 

Changmin sat up to watch it eagerly. Siwon  had told her about his home, how it was built on an incline, overlooking the sea, but no words had conveyed its beauty. It rose before them, tier upon tier, balcony on balcony, each one a sea of blooms. Geraniums, jasmine, white and red oleanders, clematis and bougainvillaea danced together in a dizzying riot of colour that was always in perfect harmony. 

Then they were on a winding road that twisted and turned, bringing the villa nearer until at last they swung into a courtyard. A flight of broad steps led up to a wide, arched entrance, with a door that was being opened from the inside. Through it came a small, elderly woman, making her way slowly with the aid of a walking stick. She took her place on the top step. 


" Thats my mother, " Siwon  said, taking Changmins hand to lead her up the stairs. 

Haneul looked imperious, despite her evident frailty and the fact that she barely came up to Siwon s shoulder. She was in her early sixties, but illness had aged her and she looked older. Beneath her shining white hair her face was sharp, and her brilliant blue eyes missed nothing. 


But Changmin saw the warmth in those eyes, and when the thin arms went around her she felt the unexpected strength in the old womans embrace. 

" Welcome, my dear, " Haneul said. " Welcome to the family. "

She was beaming, her expression full of kindness. She greeted Jisoo equally warmly. When you have seen your room, then we can take a little refreshment together. 

Although the house bore the modest title of Residenza, it might more aptly have been called a palace. It was built in medieval style, of beautiful yellow stone, with long tile and mosaic corridors. The rooms were lined sometimes with marble, sometimes with tapestries. Everywhere Changmin saw wealth, beauty, elegance, and an inbred as-sumption of authority. 

She and Jisoo were sharing a huge room. It bore two large four-poster beds hung with white net curtains which matched those at the tall windows leading onto the broad terrace, facing inland. Beneath it was the huge garden, and beyond that the land stretched away until it rose into dark, misty mountains on the horizon. Everywhere the colours had a vividness Changmin had never seen before. 

After the pastel shades of England their sheer depth and brightness overwhelmed her. 

A maid helped them unpack, then showed them out onto the terrace that went all around the house, and led them to the front, where Haneul was seated at a small rustic table, looking out over the bay. Bernardo and Siwon  were there, and immediately drew out chairs, and when they were seated filled their glasses with Marsala. 

A larger table nearby was laden with Sicilian cheesecake, zabaglione, coffee ice with whipped cream, candied fruit ring, and several other things that they were too dazed to take in. 

" I wasnt sure of your preferences, so I ordered a variety, " Haneul murmured. 

The food and wine were delicious. Overhead a flowered awning sheltered them from the bright sun, and a soft breeze was springing up. Changmin wondered how she had ever lived before coming to this perfect place.

Siwon  kept catching her eye and smiling, and his smile was irresistible, making her return it. 

" Thats enough, " Haneul said imperiously, tapping his hand. " You'll have plenty of time to play the fool, my son. Go away now, and let me get to know your bride. "