Chapter 12

WIFE BY ARRANGEMENT

CHAPTER TWELVE 

 


SHE took a step towards him. " I'm not going anywhere. "


" You're my husband and I love you, and Im staying right here with you. "


" Dont play games with me, " he said hoarsely. " You've already told me that you slept with him. "


" I said no such thing. I've said that I slept in Siwon's bed last night--" in her eagerness she seized his arms and gave him a little shake, " but I didnt say that Siwon  was there with me. "


" What? " he whispered. 


His wretchedness made her heart ache. " Oh, darling! "


She touched his face. " What a fool you are! While I was sleeping in Siwon's bed, he was sleeping in a police cell. "


" What did you say? "


" He wasnt with me. He spent the night under lock and key, sleeping on a bunk, with a blanket. Why do you think he looks as if hes slept in his clothes? Because he has. "


He stared at her as her words pierced his cloud of misery. And suddenly the sun shone more brilliantly, the stee-ple bells rang and the trumpets sounded a fanfare. 


" A police cell? " he echoed, as though repeating her words was all he could do. 


" He called me yesterday from a police station in London. He'd been arrested for driving under the influence and taking a swipe at a policeman. I figured Id better get over there fast. Mamma was out and I thought the fewer people who knew about it the better, so I just caught the first plane to London. "


" I arrived yesterday evening and went straight to the station, but I couldnt get him out because they were afraid hed skip the country. So he had to spend the night in the cell. I stayed in his hotel room. It seemed silly to pay for another when his was empt---- "


She was silenced by the crushing pressure of his mouth on hers. There were no words for the feelings that possessed them. For each the declaration of love had come in the unlikeliest way, catching them unawares, trapping them into admissions that their pride might have made impossible for years. Joy, triumph and blazing, overwhelming relief mingled in their kiss, lighting up the world. 


" Tell me its true, " he said against . " Promise me that I wont wake up in a minute kiss me---- kiss me ----- "


" Its all true, I swear it. I never slept with Siwon . "


" No, not that the other thing you said about loving me =-----"


" I do love you, Yunho. There's nobody I want but you. "


" But I never thought you'd say you love me. "


" Does a man go insane for a woman, the way I have, unless he loves her? "


" You always had so many good reasons that were nothing to do with love. "


" Fools reasons. I swore Id never let a woman matter that much to me again. And then I met you, but it was already too late because you loved another man. I had to tell myself anything except that I loved you. He kissed her fiercely again and again. Ive been so afraid... "


Lost in happiness, she was only vaguely aware that she was moving, climbing, somehow they were upstairs. The sudden sound was the door of their bedroom being kicked shut then their clothes being hastily torn off as they reached feverishly for each other. 


They made love like people whod met for the first time. There was pleasure, but also relief and reassurance. 
Above all there was boundless hope. Only a few minutes ago the future hadnt existed. Now it stretched to infinity, full of joy and fulfilment. 


" I suppose we ought to get up, " Changmin said at last, reluctantly. " Mamma will be awake, and she'll wonder why Siwon  is home. I wonder what hes telling her. We must find out and make sure we dont give him away. "


" You wrong Siwon , " Yunho said at once. " He'll tell her the truth. Whatever else you can say about him and you can say a good deal he's honest. "


" Yes. Do you realise how much we owe his honesty? "


But Yunho didnt answer, and she realised that his wounds were still raw, and he had some way to go yet. 


" Tell me the rest of the story, he said at last. What happened? Did you spring him from gaol? Are the two of you on the run? "


" Luckily, desperate measures werent needed. I got him a lawyer, and first thing this morning he was up before the magistrate. It wasnt very serious. He was only a little bit over the limit, and there was no accident, nobody hurt. "


" What about assaulting the policeman? "


" It was just a little swipe. He barely touched him. He was fined and bound over to keep the peace. I know he has a lot of appointments in England but I thought Id better get him back here quickly. "


" You did the right thing. I wont send him back for a while. But somebody has to visit his customers, and youre the best person. You did brilliantly on that Scottish trip ---- "


" Brilliantly? You were breathing down my neck--
checking up on me---"


He kissed her. " Its nice to know I'm not the only fool in the family. I went to Scotland because I couldnt stand being apart from you another day. "


She snuggled against him, wondering if Siwon s proximity in England might also have had something to do with it. But she didnt ask. She no longer needed to. 


" So there it is, " he murmured, " the last piece in that jigsaw you were talking about. We fit it exactly. "


" Its odd, Im not quite sure--"  She brooded. 


" If we love each other, what else can there be? "


" I dont know. Its just that I have an odd feeling that there are still two pieces missing. "


" Forget it, " he said, holding her tightly. " We've found each other. I'd nearly given up hope of that happening. "


She let it go and snuggled against him, revelling in her happiness. But the thought wouldnt be entirely dismissed that the jigsaw wasnt quite complete. 
Two pieces to go. 


She made the trip to England and returned to be plunged into the preparations for Haneuls birthday party, to be given in the Great Hall of the Residenza. 
We can kill two birds with one stone, Yunho said to her one evening. You know Ive been thinking of branch-ing out into flowers. There are some that we grow here better than anywhere else in the world, and its an area you might take charge of. 


" I'd love to, " she said eagerly. 


" Then you should start meeting some of the specialist growers. I'm especially interested in this man, he said, handing her a business card bearing the name Vincenzo Tordone. He has acres of greenhouses that can supply everything in winter. Id like you to look him over and let me know what you think. If his stuff is high quality we can use him to fill the house with flowers on Mammas birthday, and set up a deal afterwards. "


" Pleased, " Changmin visited Vincenzo Tordone in his office in Palermo. He was a tall, thin man in his late sixties, with white hair and a gently courteous manner that won her over at once. He took her on a visit to his glass-covered acres just outside the city, and she marvelled at the variety of perfect blooms that flourished under his hands. 


" I have a business in Rome, " he told her as they sipped Marsala afterwards. " Its a good business. My wife was Roman, and when she was alive she helped me to run it. 
Now she's dead Ive handed the reins to my son and daughter, and returned to my home. "


" You're Sicilian, then? "


" Oh, yes. I was born in this country, and lived here until my twenties. One day I shall die and be buried here. "


He sighed with pleasure. "  This is the best land in the world to grow plants. Theres nowhere so fertile, nowhere else where the flowers raise their heads so eagerly. "


He made her talk about herself, and she gave a carefully edited description of how she had come from England and ended up marrying into the Jung Martelli family. 


" Do you find our ways strange? " he asked courteously. 


" Not really. Everyone has been so kind, especially my mother-in-law, Haneul. She took me under her wing right from the start. She even gave me her own estate of Bella Rosaria. "


" Ah, yes, I've heard of it who has not? They say the flowers there are very fine. "


" They are, especially the rose bushes. Some of them have been there for years. She tends and protects them like children. "


They plunged into a discussion of the best way to make rose bushes long-lasting. She liked the simple old man, and when she got home it was a pleasure to be able to tell Yunho honestly that his blooms were first-rate. The deal was duly signed, covering the export of his produce both from Sicily and Rome, with a separate deal covering the provision of flowers for the party. 


On the day Haneul spent the afternoon asleep, so as to be at her best for the evening. She rose bright-eyed and cheerful and sat calmly while her maid arrayed her in pearls. When Yunho and Changmin looked in, she took his hand and said in a pleading voice, " My son, this may be my last birthday on earth ---"


" Mamma, you say that every year, " he reminded her tenderly. 


" And its true every year. But this year there is one special gift that I long for above all others. "


" Its yours if its in my power. "


" If I could believe that there is truly no more bad blood between you and your brother ----"


" Believe it. That was over long ago. "


Haneul smiled, but Changmin sensed that she had hoped for something more. 


There was a knock on the door, and Bernardo and Siwon  entered, one carrying wine, the other glasses, to toast their mother privately before the festivities began. 


When they had all saluted her Haneul half rose to go, but Yunho said, " Stay a moment. I have another toast. "


When he was sure he had everyones attention he said, "  I drink to my brother, Siwon , to whose courage and honesty I owe my happiness. I made a terrible mistake that almost destroyed three lives. When we went to the cathedral, all three of us knew that that marriage ought never to take place. But it seemed too late. The juggernaut was grinding on and nobody knew how to stop it. Only one person found the nerve to halt it in its tracks. My brother, you gave me the woman I love, and for this I thank you with all my heart. "


" And so do I, "Changmin said happily. 


Haneul was weeping with joy. Siwon  looked about to sink with embarrassment. Yunho set down his glass and seized him in a bear hug while Bernardo thumped them both on the back. 


" Thank you, " Changmin whispered when Yunho had returned to her. 


" I should have said it long ago. "


" One piece down and one to go. "


" It was time for the party to begin. " As Haneul descended on Yunho's arm, to applause from the assembled guests, the profusion of blooms made her stop and gasp with pleasure. 


" They are so beautiful, my dears, " she said as she settled in the throne-like chair from which she would preside over the evening. " Thank you. "


" There is one more thing, " Yunho said. " The man who arranged all this would like to offer you his own congratulations, with a special gift. "


" That is very kind of him. "


But Yunho looked a little uncertain. " Mamma, are you strong enough for a little shockif it is a happy one? "


" Certainly. You have prepared me. Is Signor Tordone going to give me a shock? "


" I think he just might. "


Yunho nodded and a servant opened the door. Through it came the tall figure of Vincenzo. He walked calmly towards Haneul, never taking his eyes from her. 
Nor did she take her eyes from him. As Changmin watched she half rose from her seat, then fell back with a little gasp. Her hand flew to as Vincenzo came to stand before her, holding in his hand one perfect red rose. 


Haneul didnt seem to see it. All her attention was for the old mans face, and at last a glad cry broke from her. 


" Fede! " she said in joyful disbelief. " Fede! "


" I dont believe it! " Changmin gasped. " That cant be-----"


" It is, " Yunho grinned. " His real name is Federico Marcello. My grandfather was a fearsome character, but never quite the monster people thought. He drove Federico out of Sicily with threats and ordered him to change his name so that Mamma couldnt trace him. But then he arranged for friends to help him get started in his own business, and put quite a lot of work his way. "


" But how did you find him? "


" I set a private enquiry agent onto it. He traced him to Rome and then all the way back here. I was fairly sure who he was when you went to see him, but when you told me about the talk you had, that clinched it. "


" But why didnt you tell me? "


Yunho gave her a strange look. " Perhaps I wanted to surprise you, too. I wonder if I have. "


" Yes, " she said slowly. " I thought I knew you, but I never imagined that you could think of this. "


He touched her cheek gently. " It takes a lifetime to know someone, my dearest. "


" And we have a lifetime, " she whispered. 


" Do we? "


" Yes. I wasnt sure. But I am now. "


Her heart rejoiced at what she had discovered tonight. 


Yunho was a proud, difficult man, who would never be easy to live with. But he understood things about love that even she had never dreamed of. This hadnt been only to please his mother. It had also been to prove something to herself that he couldnt have explained in words. 
Something caught in as she saw Haneul and Fede sitting side by side, their hands entwined. Moving very quietly, she and Yunho crept close enough to hear. 


" I returned to Sicily to be close to you, " Fede was saying. " But I never dared to hope that you would recognise me. "


" I knew you at once, " Haneul said through her joyful tears.


" And I would have known you anywhere. You are just as you have lived in my heart, all these years. "


" All these years. " She said the words slowly. " And yet I hope you havent been alone. I would rather think of you having a good life, even without me. "


" Then think it, " Fede said firmly. " My wife was a wonderful woman. She gave me two fine children, and while she lived we were devoted. " His voice changed. " But it was not with her as it had been with you. "


" Yes,"  Haneul murmured. " Yes, thats just how it was. "


He kissed her hand. " We have done our duty to others. "


" Now we may think of ourselves for the time that is left. "

 


The last guest had gone. The house was quiet as Yunho and Changmin, arms entwined, climbed the stairs in the semi-darkness. 


" They really mean it, " Changmin said in wonder. When they look at each other they see what used to be. 


" Or maybe they see what truly is, " Yunho suggested. 


They see a truth that years and wrinkles can never change.


" Will it be like that with us? "


" I can only speak for myself. And I tell you that no other woman will ever hold my heart. If you were to die tomorrow I would live alone for the rest of my life, rather than try to replace you. I think Mamma and Fede were each right to marry other people. Thats the sensible way. "


" But I cant be sensible where youre concerned. Without you, my life would be only a long wait until we could be together again. "


" And I -----"


" Hush! " He laid a gentle hand over her lips. " Dont say it unless its true. "


" Do you think my love is less than yours? "


" I dont ask. It doesnt matter. As long as you love me a little. Where you are concerned, I have never been as proud as I seemed. I can live on crumbs. "


It was true. His pride was gone, replaced by a trust in his beloved that made pride needless. She saw it in his eyes, heard it in the gentleness of his voice. 


" Not crumbs, " she whispered. But a feast. She took his hand, led him to their room and opened the door. 


" Come, " she said as she drew him inside. " Let me tell you about it. "


The last piece in place. 

 


Lying quietly in her bed that night, Haneul listened until she heard the sound of two sets of footsteps climbing the stairs and going along the corridor. They moved slowly, as if the owners were drifting contentedly, their arms about each other. Outside Changmin and Yunhos room they stopped. Haneuls sharp ears caught the soft murmur of voices, then the click as the door opened, and another one as it closed. 


She smiled to herself in the darkness. She had been right all along. When her time came, she could go in peace, knowing that her son had found deep, lasting love. 


But perhaps her time wouldnt come so soon after all. 


She had much to live for, including the child that Changmin was carrying. Not that Changmin knew yet, but she, Haneul knew. A grandson would be nice, but perhaps a little girl would be better. A girl, to wind herself around her fathers heart and teach him about love. 


And yet, already hed shown that he knew more about true love than either his mother or his wife had guessed. 
Who would have imagined that it would be Yunho who brought Fede back to her, that he would have understood...? 


However much time she had left, Fede would be there. 
He had promised to visit her every day, and they would sit together talking, or just holding hands. Like hers his body was aged and his face wrinkled, but she had looked into his eyes and known that he was still Fede. 


This she owed to Yunho, whod been rescued from harshness and cynicism by the one woman whod known how to reach him. 


And then there was Bernardo, her son and yet not her son, a man with a wild, dark heart that allowed nobody inside. She thought of Jisoo, the young English woman who had loved him but been defeated by his pride. At least, men called it pride. Haneul called it stupidity. 
Jisoo might have saved him. In fact, she still might if certain plans of Haneuls worked out as she meant them to. 
A knowing gleam came into her eye. Death could wait until she was ready. There were things to do. 
Arrangements to make. Heads to knock together. She was feeling stronger every moment.... 

 

 

 

 

---END---

 

Thank U ^^