Chapter 1

WIFE BY ARRANGEMENT

CHAPTER ONE 
" Hey,  Changmin -- your Sicilian lover is here. " 
Changmin looked up self-consciously.

"Siwon  isnt my lover! "she insisted. " Just-just --"
" Just good friends? " Kyuhyun suggested wickedly. " Well, if the man out there isnt your lover, he ought to be. Big and y with come to bed eyes. If he was mine, I wouldnt waste time not sleeping with him. "


" Will you keep your voice down? " Changmin said fran-tically, aware that every woman in the staff room was regarding her with interest. She was taking her afternoon break from the perfume counter of Gossways, Londons most luxurious department store. The worldly-wise Kyuhyun was on the next counter. 


Changmin got to her feet, smiling at the thought of Jung Siwon  Martelli, the light-hearted, handsome young man who had swept into her life a month ago and made her head spin. 


" I didnt know you knew Siwon  by sight,"  she told Kyuhyun. 


" I dont, but he asked for you. Besides, he looks just like a Sicilian should: incredibly sensual, as if hed take a woman to bed as soon as look at her. Hurry up and get out there, or Ill have him myself! "


Changmin chuckled and returned to her counter, eager to see Siwon . Hed come to England on a business trip that was supposed to last two weeks, but hed been enchanted by Changmins quiet charm and stayed on, unable to tear himself away from her. They were going out together tonight. Now she was delighted at the thought of seeing him early. 

But it wasnt Siwon . 


Siwon  was tall, fair, in his late twenties. 


This man was past thirty. There was a slight scar on one side of his face and his features, which were too irregular to be handsome, were marred by a touch of harshness. 
He was tall and heavily built, his shoulders wide, his hair black. He had the dark eyes and olive skin of the southern Italian, but he had something more. Changmin couldnt put a name to it, but she knew at once why Kyuhyun, who judged each man by his bedworthiness, had reacted strongly. It was because he judged every woman the same way. It was there in his eyes, that were lazy without ever quite being off guard: the instinctive questiondo I want to sleep with her? Yes? No? Probably yes. How much of a challenge would she be? 


Changmin was startled to receive such a look. Her fine features were pretty without being beautiful. Her hair was very light brown, but not exactly blonde, and although her slim figure was graceful it wasnt voluptuous. At twenty-three shed never known the tribute of a wolf whistle, and no man had ever raked her up and down as this one was doing. 


" Are you the gentleman who was asking for me? " she asked. 


He glanced at the nameplate pinned to her white blouse. 


" I am. "
His voice was dark and deep, with an accent that coloured the words without obscuring them. Not like Siwon s light, teasing tones. 


" You were recommended by a friend of mine whom you serveda Mr Charles Smith, but you wont remember him among so many customers. Im buying for several ladies, including my mother. She's in her sixties, very respectable, but perhaps secretly wishing her life had been a little more exciting."


" I know what shed like, " Changmin said, producing a fragrance that was a little daring, but not outrageous. She was touched and impressed by this mans understanding of his mother. 


" That will suit her perfectly, " he said. " But now we come to the more delicate part of the business. I have a lady-friendbeautiful, sensual, with very expensive tastes. Her name is Ahra, and her personality is extravagant, mysterious and passionate. " His eyes met hers. " Im sure you understand. "


In a flash she found herself understanding all sorts of things. For instance, how Elena would be very drawn to this man who, despite his lack of conventional beauty, had an impressiveness thatshe put a firm brake on her thoughts. 
" Perfectly, sir, " she said crisply. "I'd suggest Deep of the Night."


" It sounds just like her, " he agreed shamelessly. 


She rubbed a drop of the perfume on her wrist and held it out to him. He inhaled slowly, then took her wrist between his fingers and brought it close to his face. She had a sudden impression of fierce, controlled power behind his civilised manner, as though shed been strolling through a sedate garden and seen a tiger lurking behind the leaves, ready to spring. She resisted the impulse to snatch her hand back. 


" Admirable, " he said. " I'll take the large flagon. "


Changmin almost gasped. The large flagon was the cost-liest item in a very costly range. Her commission on this sale was beginning to look very good. Perhaps even good enough to buy a really beautiful wedding dress... 

She stopped that thought in its tracks. It was undignified to hope for something that probably wouldnt happen. 


"Now, another lady, with a different personality light-hearted and fun."

" Summer Dance might suit her. Its fresh and flow-ery But not naive? " he asked anxiously. 

" Certainly not. Insouciant but sophisticated. "


She tested it on the other arm and again he took her wrist, holding it a quarter-inch from his face. Changmin could feel his warm breath against her skin and she wished he would let her go. But that was an absurd over-reaction, she told herself sensibly. He wasnt looking at her. His eyes were closed and he was in a faraway world, with his various mistresses. His hold on her wrist was quite impersonal. 

But then the thought crept in that nothing was impersonal with him. This was a man with whom everything every kind word, every cruel one, every insult, every wound to his pride, every gesture of lovewould be taken deeply personally. And for that reason he was very, very dangerous: perhaps the most dangerous man she had ever encountered. When he opened his eyes and looked at her she realised that shed been holding her breath. 


" Perfetto, " he murmured. " How well we understand each other. "


He released her and she felt as though she were awakening from a dream. She could still feel the pressure on her wrist where hed held it with such soft, yet irresistible power. She pulled herself firmly together. 


" I try to understand all my customers, signore, " she replied. " Its my job. "


He made a face of appreciation.  " Signore? So you understand Italian? "

She smiled. " I know some Italian and about ten words of Sicilian. "


She didnt know what had made her mention Sicilian, except perhaps a desire to know if this man really did come from the same part of the world as Siwon . It seemed that he did. 

He regarded her with amused curiosity, murmuring, " I wonder why you are learning my dialect. "


" Im not exactly learning it, " she disclaimed hastily. " I just picked up a few words from a friend. "


" And doubtless your friend is a handsome young man. "


" Has he yet told you that you are grazziusu? "


" I think we should concentrate on your purchases, "
Changmin said, hoping she wasnt blushing. Siwon  had used exactly that word to her only the night before, explaining that it was one of the many Sicilian words for beautiful. She shouldnt be talking like this with a stranger. But he was like a magician, who could twist the conversation this way and that with a wave of an invisible wand. He had said grazziusu with a soft, seductive power that even Siwon , in his ardour, hadnt matched. 


" I see that you understand the word, and not from a dictionary, " he observed. " Im glad your lover appreciates you. "


No wonder this man had several mistresses if he went about talking like this. Doubtless she too was supposed to be flattered. But she refused to go weak at the knees. It had been a long day, and her legs were tired. That was all. 


" Shall we return to the matter in hand? " she asked. 
" If we must. What next? "


Changmin regarded him levelly. " Let me get this clear, signore. Just how many lady-friends are you trying to --er--keep happy? "

He grinned shamelessly, giving an eloquent shrug. " Is it important? "


" It is if they have different personalities. "


" Very different, " he confirmed.

" I like one to suit each mood. Minetta is light-hearted, Yoona is musical, and Ahra is darkly sensual. "


He was trying to unsettle her; there was no doubt of it. 


His eyes spoke meanings that went far beyond what his lips were saying.  She observed briskly, " Well, that should make things nice and simple. "


" Simple? "


" A man of only three moods. "


She was startled at herself. A good sales assistant thought only of the sale. She didnt backchat the customer and risk offending him. But he wasnt offended. He even seemed amused at her swift riposte. 

"Youre quite right, "he said. " Three isnt enough. I have a vacancy for a witty lady, which you could fill perfectly. "


" Oh, I wouldnt suit you at all, " she fenced. 

" I'm not so sure about that. "

" I am. Completely sure. "

" I wonder why. " He was laughing. 


Changmin laughed back. She was beginning to take his measure. " Well, for a start, Id never agree to be part of a crowd. Youd have to get rid of all the others. "

" Im sure youd make it worth my while. "

" If I felt that you were worth it, " she said daringly. " But you wouldnt be, because Im not in the market. "

" Ah, yes, of course! You already have a lover. "

There was that word again. Why was the whole world harping on lovers all of a sudden? 

" Lets just say that I have a young man who suits me. "

" And he comes from Sicily, since you are learning his language. Which also means that you're hoping to marry him. "


To her dismay Changmin felt a revealing blush creep over her face. To cover it she spoke sharply. " If you mean that Ive set my cap at him, youre wrong. And this conversation is over. "

" Forgive me. Its not my business. "

" Indeed it isnt. "

" But I hope he isnt leading you on a fools dance, seducing you with hints of marriage, and then vanishing back to his own country. "

" Im not that easily seduced. Neither by him norby anyone, " she finished hastily, wondering why her mind had scurried down that particular by-path. 

" Then you havent allowed him into your bed. Thats either very neglectful of him, or very clever of you. I wonder which. "


Indignantly she challenged him with a direct gaze, and what she saw startled her. Despite the teasing sensuality of his words, his eyes held the same dispassionate calculation he would have shown to a high-priced purchase. 

" You dont dress like the others, " he remarked. " Why? "

It was true. Changmin was perfectly made-up and her long hair was elegantly styled, courtesy of the stores beauty parlour. But whereas the other assistants, with their employers encouragement, dressed in slightly provocative styles, Changmin stuck firmly to conventional clothes. Her skirt was black, her blouse was snow-white and fresh. Her boss had suggested that she might put herself about more, but she had refused, and since her sales figures were excellent the matter had been allowed to drop. 

" I think, " the man persisted, " its because you're a proud and subtle woman too proud to put everything in the window. And subtle enough to know that when a woman
holds back shes at her most alluring. By covering yourself up you make a man wonder how you would look without clothes. "

It was a direct, frontal attack from a man with all the nerve in the world, and something in Changmin was wryly appreciative even while something else warned her to put him firmly in his place.

" Can I interest you in anything more, sir? " she asked primly. 

" You could interest me in a good deal, " he responded at once. "  Let me take you to dinner, and we can discuss my interest in you. "

" That wasnt what I-still, I suppose I could have phrased that question more cleverly, couldnt I? "

" I thought you phrased it perfectly. Im interested; Ive made that plain. And Im a generous man. I doubt your boyfriend will marry you. Hell disappear, leaving you with a broken heart. "

" And youll leave me dancing for joy, I suppose? " she couldnt resist answering. 

" It depends what makes you dance for joy. Shall we say ten thousand pounds to start with? Play your cards right, and I think you could do very well out of me. "

" And I think the sooner you leave you the better. Im not interested in you or your money, and if you say another word I shall call Security. "

" Twenty thousand pounds. "

" Shall I gift-wrap these items for you, sir, or have you changed your mind now you know you'll get nothing from me? "

" What do you think? "

" I think youd better find a woman whos selling herself. Im only selling perfume. I take it you dont want these. "

He shrugged. " There'd hardly be any point, would there? Of course, its a shame about the commission you would have earned. "

" Commission be blowed! " Changmin said very deliber-ately. " The store is about to close. Goodbye! Dont come back! "

He gave her a grin that contained a hint of challenge, and walked out with the air of a man whod achieved something, although for the life of her she couldnt think what. 

She was furious, both with him and herself. Hed raised false hopes for her pay packet, and hed insulted her. But, far worse, for a brief moment hed persuaded her to find him charming. Part of her had enjoyed the light-hearted game shed thought they were playing. But then shed seen the cold calculation in his eyes, and shed known that the woman who went to this mans bed for money would be a fool. And the woman who did it for love would be an even greater fool.

She hurried home. Her flatmate was out so she had the place to herself as she prepared for the evening ahead with Jung Siwon  Martelli, the young man Kyuhyun called her lover. 

He wasnt her lover, nor had he tried to urge her into bed, for which she liked him more. 

In the month shed known him she seemed to have been under a spell, something lovelier than reality, with none of realitys pain and trouble. She didnt call it love, because the word love summoned up Peter, and a wilder-ness of suffering at the brutal way hed dumped her. She only knew that Siwon  had charmed her out of her sadness. 

She:d met him through a buyer in the Gossways Food Hall. The Jung  Martellis dealt in Sicilian fruit and vegetables, much of which they grew on the vast family estates 
around Palermo. What they couldnt supply themselves they bought in from other growers, taking nothing but the very best. Even so, Gossways had a special deal under which it accepted only produce grown by the Jung Martellis themselves. Siwon  had recently been appointed export manager of the business, and was visiting customers, introducing himself. 

He lived like a young king at the Ritz Hotel. Sometimes he took her to eat there; sometimes they found a tiny place by the river. But always there was a gift, sometimes valu-able, sometimes silly, given with a tribute in his eyes. She didnt know what it might mean for the future. Siwon  had a touch of the playboy whose charm and looks won his way through life. She guessed that back in Sicily there were a dozen young women who would be disappointed if he were to marry. Of course, she wasnt counting on marriage. She told herself that many times. She knew that his charm and admiration were doing her a world of good, and when he left without her she would cope somehow. 

Tonight she found his message on the answer-machine, urging her to wear the pale blue silk dress hed bought for her, which brought out the dark brown of her eyes. They were large eyes, and they gave her face distinction, even beauty. 

As always he arrived five minutes before the agreed time, with a red rose, which he gave her with a flourish, and a pearl necklace which hed bought to go with the dress. 

The sight of him made her smile with happiness. He was a handsome young giant, six foot two, with a boom-ing laugh and good-natured grin that invited the whole world to share his pleasure. 

" Tonight is a great occasion, " he told her. " My older brother, Yunho, has arrived from Sicily. " He added ruefully, " I should have gone home two weeks ago. He knows I stayed because of you, and now he wants to meet you. "

" We are his guests at the Ritz tonight. "

" But we were going to the theatre -- "

" Could you bear not to? I have rather neglected business recently -- " he flicked her cheek gently, " all your fault. "

" Tossing me into the lions den, huh? " she asked with a chuckle. 

He put his arm around her. " Well go in together. "

On the short journey to the Ritz he talked about his brother, who ran the vast family estates in Sicily. By hard work and shrewd dealing hed transformed the vineyards and olive groves, making them produce three times as much, buying up land, expanding, making Jung Martelli the top name in fine produce in every luxury store and hotel throughout the world. 

" He thinks of nothing but work, " Siwon  complained. 

" How he can make more money, and more money. Me, I prefer spending it. " 

" I'm sure he knows that. He wants to see who youre spending it on. "  She touched the pearls, which were elegant and restrained, but clearly expensive. 

" He's ready to like you. Trust me. " As they reached the Ritz and he handed her from the taxi, Siwon  murmured, 

" Dont be afraid of him. "

" I'm not. Are you afraid of him? "

" No way. But hes the head of the family, and in Sicily thats very important. However fierce he was, he was always my wonderful big brother whod stick by me, help sort out my problems. "

" Deal with the girls fathers? " Changmin suggested mischievously. 

Siwon  cleared his throat. " Thats all in the past. Lets go in. "

Changmin was curious to meet this man who was so important in Siwon's life. She looked around at the luxurious restaurant with its elegant marble and floor-to-ceiling French windows, hung with heavy red curtains. 

On the far side a man sat alone at a table. He rose as they approached him, a polite smile of welcome on his face. Changmin strove to match it through the tide of indignation that welled up in her. 

" Good evening, signorina, " Jung Yunho Martelli said, giving her a courteous little bow. " It is a pleasure to meet you. "

" You mean, meet me again, dont you? " she asked coolly. " You surely cant have forgotten our encounter in Gossways this afternoon? "

" Whats this? " Siwon  asked. "You've met before? "

" Earlier today, " Jung Yunho Martelli confirmed. " I was im-patient to see the lady of whom Ive heard so much, so I adopted a subterfuge, for which I hope I'll be forgiven. "

He was smiling as he raised her hand to his lips.

Changmin regarded him wryly. " I'll think about it, " she said. 

Yunho gallantly pulled out a gilt-and-plush chair for her, and the three of them sat down. 

" What subterfuge? " Siwon  asked, looking from one to the other. 

" Your brother came to my counter, posing as a customer, "  Changmin told him. 

" I thought we could assess each other in a more natural atmosphere, " Yunho explained. 

" Each other? " she murmured. 

" Im sure you formed your own opinion of me. "

" Oh, yes, " she assured him. " I certainly did. "

She left it there.

She was far from finished but she didnt want to look as though she were sulking. A waiter appeared with the menu and when he'd given the order Yunho added, " And a bottle of your very finest champagne. "

At this hint of approval Siwon  grinned. ersely Changmin found herself even more annoyed. Was she supposed to jump for joy because Jung Yunho Martelli had tossed her a crumb of favour? 


She would never have guessed they were brothers. She knew that over the centuries the island of Sicily had been invaded so often that many racial types Greek, Arab, Italian, French, Spanish, Celticwere mixed in its inhab-itants. There was something Greek in Siwon s fine looks, dark eyes and light brown curly hair. Despite his size his movements were graceful. 

She guessed Yunho was one of those men who had come to manhood in his early teens. It was hard to picture him as a boy. Perhaps an Italian ancestor had given him those vivid looks, but the air of haughty pride came from a Spaniard, and there was something Celtic in the mobility of his face, the sensuality of his mouth. 

His features were fierce and irregular, and at first sight he was put in the shade by his beautiful younger brother. 

But there was a dark glitter in his eyes that compelled attention, and he had an extra something that made looks irrelevant. In a room full of handsome men, Jung Yunho Martelli would be the one women looked at, and wondered about. 

He was powerfully built, with a massiveness about him that reminded Changmin of a bull. Yet he carried no extra weight. His body was hard and athletic, the heavy muscles pressing against the expensive cloth of his suit, as though formal clothes didnt come naturally to him. He was a man made for the outdoor life, riding a horse, surveying his acres, or anything he could do in shirtsleeves.

The champagne was served in tall crystal glasses. 

Yunho raised his in salute. " To the pleasure of meeting you, " he told Changmin. 

" To our meeting, " she replied, significantly changing the words. There was the briefest flicker on Yunho's face that might have been acknowledgement. 

Over cream of cauliflower soup with ribbons of smoked salmon, he talked about Siwon  and his lengthened visit to England. 

" He should have left two weeks ago, but always there are excuses, and I start to understand that some great power is holding him here. And that power comes from a woman. For the first time he is talking about marriage -- "

" Yunho-- " , Siwon  groaned. 

" Ignore him, " Changmin said. " He's trying to disconcert you. "

" You seem to understand me by instinct, signorina, "

Yunho said, impressed. 

" I dont need instinct. Experience will do. You spent the afternoon trying to disconcert me. You like to wrong-foot people. "

He raised his champagne glass in ironic salute, but his eyes, over the rim, were suddenly harder, alert. " Touche´! "

he said. " I see I shall have to beware of you. "

" What a good idea, " she agreed sweetly. " Do go on. "

" Siwon  was talking about marriage and you rushed to England to see if I was good enough. "

" I came to discover if you were as wonderful as he says, " he corrected smoothly. " And I find that you are. "

It was charmingly said but she wasnt fooled. This was a man who did nothing except for his own reasons. But if he thought she was going to make it easy for him he had another think coming.

 

" Lets be frank, " she said with a challenging smile. 

" Siwon  is a Jung Martelli. He could marry an heiress. When you found him paying attention to a humble shop assistant it set your alarm bells ringing. That, Signor Jung Martelli, is the truth. The rest is just fancy talk. " 

Siwon  groaned and dropped his head in his hands. 

Yunho reddened slightly. " Now it is you who are trying to disconcert me. "

" And I'm not doing too badly either, " she murmured. 

His response was a grin that blazed out suddenly, taking her by surprise. It was brilliant, intensely masculine, and it came from a fire deep within him. 

" Then I too will be frank, " he told her. " Humble shop assistant! That is nonsense. You feel no more humble than I do. Youre a strong woman, even an arrogant one, who thinks she could take on the world, and win. You certainly believe you could get the better of me. You might even be right. " 

" Always assuming that I'll need to fight you, " she said lightly. " But will I? "

" I dont know. I havent finally decided. "

" I await your decision in fear and trembling,  " she told him in an ironic tone that conveyed just the opposite. 

He raised his glass in salute. Changmin raised hers in return, but she was still on her guard. 

" Thats the spirit, darling, " Siwon  said.  " Dont let him scare you. "

" Let her fight her own battles, ' Yunho told him. " She's more than capable of it. You see, " he added to Changmin, 

" I know a lot about you. You left school at sixteen and got a job in a paper shop. For the next four years you went from job to job, always behind a counter, always climbing a little higher, until three years ago you came to work at Gossways. "

" You sought a place on their training programme that leads to management, but Gossways refused, saying they take only college graduates. So you set out to prove them wrong. You worked hard, studied languages, badgered them. At last, impressed by your persistence and your splendid sales figures, they gave in, and offered you a place on the next programme. Humble shop assistant! "

" You're a formidable woman. "

" Hey, I didnt know all that, " Siwon  said. 

" Your brother has been asking Gossways Head Office about me, " Changmin explained. " Snooping. "

' Gathering intelligence, " Yunho suggested. 

" Snooping, " she said firmly. " And it was very rude. "

" Yes, it was, " Siwon  said. " You dont think I did anything like that, do you, darling? "

 " You didnt think of it, " Yunho informed him sca-thingly. 

Changmin felt a sudden need to get away from the two men, so that she could breathe freely. " Excuse me, gen-tlemen, " she said, rising. 

She found the powder room and sat gazing at her own reflection in an ornate gilt mirror, wondering why the world always seemed to be the wrong way up. She was being wined and dined at the Ritz, by two attractive men who were giving her their whole attention. That should have made her a woman to be envied, and if she'd been alone with Siwon  she would have thought so too. 

 

But Jung Yunho Martelli made her very, very suspicious.