In this reunion you and I were found

Imagining Us Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

High school reunions were pointless. It only served for the extremely successful ones. The kind that counted down the days until they could blabber about how much achievement they’ve concurred.

 

And Seungwan hated being a part of that little group. It wasn’t her desire to share her success with classmates she’s never even talked to once. Yet, it was inevitable.

 

She couldn’t prevent the news reports claiming her as one of the best songwriters. She couldn’t delete the posts of artists and idols pictures with her. She definitely couldn’t have stopped Dispatch from releasing news that made her purely platonic friendship with Sooyoung, a rising model, appear as a sparking romance.

 

(Seungwan had never wanted to disappear off the face of the earth so bad after that incident. She wasn’t even an idol for Dispatch to be hounding on.)

 

So clearly everybody knew of her success. She regretted not having used an alias or converting into a ninja to remain hidden.

 

As soon as she stepped foot into the venue of the treacherous reunion, Seungwan was attacked by people she’d never socialized with before. She was passed around like a beach ball. When one group was finished another snatched her.

 

At least somebody had the decency to provide her with an alcoholic beverage. She’d need plenty to get through the night.

 

Currently, she was in the midst of internal pain while an old classmate told her and others his tales of how quickly he rose to become CEO of some company overseas. Seungwan held in the urge to laugh in his face because of how ridiculous he appeared to her. She believed that a man who inflated his ego and overcompensated for his supposed success was trying to make up for other departments.

 

(She resolved he was probably in bed.)

 

“Son Seungwan.”

 

That voice. That velvety voice. She hadn’t heard that voice in years.

 

Seungwan turned around and was blessed. “Bae Joohyun.”

 

“Didn’t peg you for a reunion type.”

 

“I’m not but I was forced by Soo-” Seungwan stopped herself from completing the name. It was dangerous for Sooyoung’s name to be slipping out of .

 

There were too many nosy onlookers. Thankfully, Joohyun was always one to catch on the drift. She wiggled the empty glass in her hand. “I could use another drink. Care to join?”

 

Seungwan chugged the rest of hers down. “It’d be my pleasure.”

 

~~~

 

They sat at the bar and ordered their respective drinks. Seungwan observed the way Joohyun carried herself. There was something different about her aura but she couldn’t pinpoint what exactly it was.

 

When their drinks arrived, Seungwan initiated the conversation. “It’s been years since we’ve seen each other and it’s reunion custom for this question to be included,” she allowed Joohyun to sip her drink before asking, “And how have you been?”

 

Joohyun gave a half sided grin. She tapped the side of her glass as a pensive expression decorated her face. “I’ve been...okay. Some days could’ve been better but that’s just life.”

 

“Care to...elaborate?”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“We’ve got all night to unpack your many woes of the past years.”

 

Joohyun let out a mixture of a chuckle and scoff. “We’d need more than tonight for that.”

 

Seungwan grimaced. “That bad?”

 

“Like I said, some days could’ve been better.”

 

Maybe that’s what was different about her. She seemed sadder. More worn out.

 

“My offer stands.”

 

Joohyun gazed right into her eyes. Seungwan felt her breath get caught. Her heart rate proceeded to increase. That was one thing that would never change. Joohyun would always manage to turn Seungwan into mush just from one look.

 

“You’ve always been such a good listener.” Joohyun gently placed her hand on Seungwan’s and softly squeezed her fingers. She then pulled the classic subject change. “Why don’t you tell me what’s going with you and that model.”

 

Seungwan groaned into her palms. “Not you, too. Sooyoung is just a close friend. Nothing more, nothing less.”

 

“Really?”

 

“It’s the truth.”

 

“But you two looked like you were...more than friends.”

 

“Sooyoung’s a nice girl, she really is.” Seungwan kept her eyes on the condensation forming on her glass. “But my heart is reluctant to let go of someone else.”

 

That was the alcohol awakening the hopeless romantic in her. The higher her BAC, the more successful the songs she wrote were. Lyrics that always spoke of a love so powerful and beautiful that it could change the world.

 

“If I weren’t mistaken, it seems you’ve been the victim of an unrequited crush. Or love?”

 

Not unrequited. The one who captivated her heart just never knew.

 

“Something like that,” It was definitely something between the two but it was safer to be vague.

 

“Do I know who this person is?”

 

Seungwan finished the rest of her drink. “I’d say you’re well acquainted with her.”

 

“Am I?” Joohyun furrowed her brows, presumably trying to crack the code.

 

When an invitation to her high school reunion had arrived in her P.O. box, Seungwan’s first thought was to tear it up and throw to the trash. She would have done just that if it weren’t for Sooyoung incessantly telling her that it was a must to attend. And as fate would have it, she was meant to be here.

 

She'll have to send the woman a thank you basket. Full of her favorite wines.

 

“Would you like to know?”

 

Joohyuns brows peaked with interest. “If you're willing to unpack your woes of unrequited love, then why not.” she teased playfully.

 

“However, if I tell you,” Seungwan paused, causing a moment of suspense. She took her time sipping her drink while impatience slowly grew on Joohyuns face.

 

“What? Spit it out, woman!”

 

“If I tell you I’d have to kill you.”

 

Joohyun nearly spat her drink out from the shocking revelation. “Geez, didn’t think you’d have any murderous intent in your bones after writing about love for so long.”

 

“Trust me, it’s become pestilent.”

 

“It’s ironic, that’s what. You hate writing love songs but yet you are a fool in love.”

 

“Put yourself in my shoes, I write about happy love that’s supposedly magical while living with feelings that never achieved, never reached the one they’re made for.”

 

Jaw slightly slacked open and eyes holding compassion, Joohyun reached out and pulled her into a bone crushing hug. A completely unexpected move. Joohyun’s perfume was sweet and delicate. Much like her.

 

“It must be hard for you.” Joohyun murmured in her ear.

 

It was. Extremely. Especially when being held by the one she was, in Joohyun’s words, a fool in love with.

 

“I need to ask you something.”

 

Much to her dislike, Joohyun unraveled from her. Seungwan closed her eyes for a brief moment, not wanting to believe that she really was about to confess her feelings sitting at the bar of her high school reunion. Cringey as heck.

 

“What is it?”

 

With her thumb, Joohyun rubbed patterns on the back of her hand, most likely thinking it had a soothing, calming effect. When in actuality, it was driving Seungwan nuts. Her heart wasn’t fluttering like a small butterfly, it was pounding like the drums in a rock band.

 

The courage to reveal her sentiments wavered. If she was rejected, she’d lose all hope in love and be out of a job. However, maybe baby steps were best in this case.

 

So Seungwan tried to gulp down the nerves as she asked instead, “Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow?”

 

“Dinner?”

 

“Yeah, like a date.” Fudgesicle. The D-word really came out of .

 

“You’re asking me...on a date?”

 

It was like the room suddenly became hotter and smaller. Her face burned with what she assumed was the most unappealing blush ever.

 

“Well, I…” Seungwan needed another sip of alcohol but realized her glass was empty.

 

“Seungwan, are you asking me on a date?”

 

Damn. Why did Joohyun have to exude confidence like there was no tomorrow? Why couldn’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter