It'll take its course

Imagining Us Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The fans had taken note of the tension between the two of them.

 

How could they not when recent photos and fancams showed them being oddly distant and obviously awkward. It was definitely weird for the fans to see their favorite idols so tense with each other because when it came down to them there’d always been a spark of something light.

 

When it came down to Wendy and Irene of Red Velvet, they were the ultimate pair of softies that illuminated their surroundings from a simple glance to a full-blown smile to one another.

 

That’s who they were. Two girls that expressed their friendship tremendously. Wendy and Irene. Irene and Wendy. Just a pair of fluffballs Reveluvs adored greatly. And that’s how it’d been since trainee days, since debut, since Son Seungwan had been chained to the title of amazing best friend dubbed by Bae Joohyun.

 

Best friends. That’s what they became and it’s what they are.

 

However, presently, it’s what Seungwan despised most; living tragically as a best friend only.

 

Because over the years, something festered inside Seungwan. A feeling that was strong and made itself clear. A feeling that not a single soul knew nor probably had the slightest thoughts of.

 

“So,” Seulgi cleared . “You and Joohyun-unnie have been...awkward.”

 

It was late into the night but Seungwan couldn’t sleep and unsurprisingly neither could Seulgi. So, they opted to go out for a nice late munch at one of their usual places. The owners were well aware of who they were and always provided a private section.

 

“Have we?” Seungwan scooped a spoonful of rice into , trying to quickly come up with a change of subject.

 

“Uh, yeah. Lately, whenever you two are in the same room it’s like this sudden coldness enters.”

 

“I haven’t noticed.”

 

“Maybe because you’re too busy avoiding her.”

 

Seungwan set her chopsticks down. “I’m not avoiding her.” How could I when it’s the last thing I want to do?

 

“Don’t lie to me, Wan.” Seulgi’s use of the nickname and timid tone makes her feel like one of the worst people.

 

But the thing is, she isn't lying. It was Joohyun doing the avoiding. Always turning the other way, never walking next to her, not even addressing her by her real name anymore as they’ve always done when they were dressed in comfy clothes back in the dorm.

 

When they were on stage, it’s always Wendy with an occasional slip of Seungwan. But as soon as they walked off, it’d be Seungwan. Now all she ever heard was Wendy in a monotonous voice.

 

“I’m not. I swear.”

 

“Then what’s going on?”

 

She sighed sadly, letting her head hang. “I wish I knew.”

 

It badly having Irene be so distant from but it hurt even more when she hasn’t a clue why.

 

~

 

She’d lost track of how many times Joohyun would immediately turn away right when she tried to look at her. It happened way too much and honestly, Seungwan was growing irritated.

 

“Unnie, you alright?” Yeri asked with a hint of worry in her tone.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

“Your chewing your nails, you do that when you’re nervous.”

 

Seungwan quickly withdrew her hand from . She gave Yeri a sheepish grin. “Must be due to my upcoming collab for Sm Station.”

 

“Oh, right! You’re recording with John Legend-sunbaenim!”

 

Since young, Seungwan was an avid fan. And now, being the given the opportunity to actually record a duet with the one and only John Legend, it brought her inner fangirl out and maybe a few tears of happiness.

 

“Yeah, still surreal.”

 

“You’ll be amazing. You always are.”

 

Leave it to Yeri, their rascal maknae who usually gagged from such acts of love, to cheer her up. Truly a wonderful girl with a heart of gold.

 

“Thanks, Yeri. It means a lot.”

 

“No worries, unnie, but make sure to get me an autograph.”

 

Seungwan laughed, watching the younger girl slip out of the room. Alone again, she went back to anxiously chewing on her thumbnail as she tried again to develop a reasonable explanation for Irene’s recent behavior.

 

~

 

Seungwan left for California to record the song, leaving Red Velvet to do a schedule without her. When she came back, the girls tell her about not any of them singing her high notes in any of the tracks because nobody had the range.

 

“Seriously, unnie! None of us sang when your high notes came next.”

 

“Nobody can equal to you.”

 

“Stop, you’re flattering me too much.”

 

Sooyoung latched onto Seungwan, holding on like a koala, whining about having missed her adorable unnie even if she was only gone for three days. “The dorm felt so empty without you,” she told her, squeezing tighter.

 

“I’m sure none of you even noticed my absence.”

 

“Preposterous! How could we not?” Seulgi barked, throwing a chip at her. “Don’t think so little of yourself.”

 

Yeri reached for a box of pocky, absentmindedly commenting, “I think Joohyun-unnie missed you most.”

 

And that was the shock of the month for Seungwan. She looked at Joohyun, who was, of course, looking away. But. There was a slight tint of pink decorating her cheeks.

 

That was new. And gut twisting.

 

“Don’t say such nonsense, Yeri. I’m sure we all missed her the same.” is Joohyun’s lame excuse to cover up the accumulating awkwardness.

 

Sooyoung finally let go of Seungwan, allowing her to breathe, then spoke. “I agree with Yeri, you were even sleep--” but she never finished for Joohyun had thrown a couch pillow at her face.

 

Which then incited a pillow war, leaving all of them panting and exhausted in the next ten minutes. Seulgi was the first to get up, grumbling about needing to wake up early to dye her hair. Sooyoung followed, accentuating she needed beauty sleep, and dragged Yeri with her.

 

And then there were two.

 

Seungwan began picking up the dirty dishes they’d used, trying hard to not attack Irene with questions.

 

“Seungwan,” Joohyun murmured, holding her by the elbow. “Can we...talk?”

 

“Uh, sure.” She rasped nervously, her heart beating profusely from hearing her real name.

 

Sitting back on the couch, Joohyun spoke until Seungwan sat next to her. “These past weeks, they’ve been rough.”

 

You’re telling me about it. “Rough?”

 

“I’ve been going through something. Something life changing.”

 

“Unnie, you’re starting to worry me.”

 

“I’ve been doing some self-analyzing lately.”

 

“And? What’d you find out about yourself?”

 

She bit her lip; a nervous habit. “That…” She paused, taking a deep breath. “That I…”

 

Sengwan realized that Joohyun was struggling profoundly. Comfortingly, she held her hand, “You can talk to me, you know that, right?”

 

“I-I’m afraid.”

 

“Of what?”

 

“Of what you’ll think o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter