Chapter 4-2

Tainted Memories

 

Today was the start of another weekend, the week went by in a jippy and I had to make the most of it being productive. Even though chaeyoung and I went home kind of late I still woke up 5:30 in the morning to start my morning jog. I grabbed my smoothie that I already prepared days ago from the fridge and took it for me to drink on my way out of the dormitory, while I was humming on the music I was listening to, my phone started to vibrate and the song stopped.

 

“Hello?” I accepted the call and greeted.

“Hey. It’s me Tzuyu-ah”

“Oh, hey what’s up?”

“I know it’s early and I hope I didn’t woke you up.”

“Oh, no you didn't. What happened?” I asked worryingly “No. nothing happened, I would just like to invite you over breakfast today.” she said.

“Of course!” I beamed “I’ll be there by 8 o’clock, sounds great?”

“Mm. see you later.” she hangs up the phone leaving me with a huge smile.  

 

I got out of the elevator and made my way to the usual road I take everytime I jog. During weekends, people tend to oversleep and the noise starts to build up around 10 o’clock in the morning. It was always a silent morning for me and it wasn’t scary at all. You could clearly see the way the sun rise while jogging and feel the warmth crept on your body while sweating. I was pretty much used to this routine that I’ve known every beautiful bit of my surroundings, everything seemed to be normal until I felt like something was off. Somebody was behind me, probably jogging? I tried to stop to look back but deep down inside my head was telling me not too. Suddenly my exercise felt scary and dangerous, I was afraid to look back so I kept on running and added my pace. The feeling of someone following me had toned down a little bit but It still bothered me so I took a rather unusual turn to the left to see if they would still follow me and they did. I took of my earphones, realizing I would be able to hear their footsteps to confirm and the only noise I heard was my own footstep and the concrete I was stepping. Finally I stopped and turned around to confirm, there was no one else behind me, I wanted to shout to intimidate them but my throat felt dry. I turned around to go back to my jog and go back to the dorm but the next thing that happened made me scream on top of my lungs.

 

“HOLY !!!!!” I yelled. “ !” I continued and covered my ears while squatting down on the street.

“AAAAHH!” They shouted back, as they were startled by my shout too.

“HEY!” she called. “IT’S ME!” I looked to see a familiar face with her eyes all worried from my reaction.

“Oh. oh” I stood quite apologetic. “I’m sorry! I was- just-” I wasn’t able to speak properly but she giggled.

“It’s okay. It was my bad, I suddenly went up to you without saying anything”

 

After a few seconds I was breathing properly already, but she wasn’t talking.

“I’m Hani. I’ve seen you in the club.”

“Oh. you’re the new replacement.”

“Of victoria? Oh no, don’t- no. she’s- I’m still out of her league” she tries to explain shyly.
“You are heechul’s daughter right?” she asks.

“I- I’m kind of” I replied stuttering. She just nodded and smiled at me.

“You just moved here?” I asked, to change the subject.

“Mm.” she says “I used to live in the city, heechul and my mom are friends so I kind of am, staying at his place for a bit.” she explains.

“Oh. I see. Well, I’ll see you later.” I excused

“Oh right. Yes. see you later, uhm. Sana? Right?” I nodded and gave her a smile.

“Bye” I said, waving while I started to run once again but stopped and looked back at her.

 

She was going where I went, so that means that it wasn’t her who was following me. I stared at her while she was running before turning around once more to take a U-turn on the next side of the road. I took off my earphones this time and carefully observed my surroundings, once in a while I would pretend to tie my shoe and check if someone was following or hiding somewhere. The ominous feeling had started to go down and convinced myself that I was just getting a bit lack of sleep these days.