Chapter 3

Tainted Memories

When I came to my senses I was lying on a bed, I turn to my side to see Tzuyu beside me sitting on a chair, crossed-legs while she’s reading a book that says ‘The Midnight Rose’. She seems to be hooked with what she was reading that she didn’t noticed I was awake.

 

“Tzuyu” I called softly, her calm position was suddenly replaced with shock and worry.

“Hey..” she calls back to me, “are you feeling okay?” I gave her a small smile when she held my hand.

“I think so. What time is it?” I tried to stood up but her hand stopped me.

“You shouldn’t try to stand up yet”

“No, I’m fine”

“Are you sure?” she worriedly asked.

“Yeah”

 

The door creaked open and we both looked to see who it was. To my surprise it was chaeyoung, on her right arm was her helmet that she wore early this morning.

 

“What are you doing here?”

“I called your phone, I was out early and wondered if we can go home together.” she sat on the corner of the bed “But, tzuyu answered the phone instead.”

“Don’t look at me like that, I’m fine” I smiled.

“What time is it?”

“Its 10 minutes before 6”

“What? I slept that long?”

“Yes you did. We had to call a doctor because we were worried you weren’t waking up yet.”

“I’m sorry, I must’ve made you guys worry so much”

 

Tzuyu shook her head, “No, that’s fine. The doctor said you were quite fatigue. He advised for you to get a complete 8 hours sleep tonight and drink lots of water.”

“I’ll make sure I’ll do that, when I get home”

 

I removed the blanket that was covering me and slowly scoot my way to the edge of the bed before standing up. Chaeyoung assisted me, worried that I still lack the strength to do so. Tzuyu handed me my phone and my bag. We went downstairs to see Tzuyu’s dad cleaning the kitchen floor.

 

“Oh, you’re finally awake. I’m glad” he says to me.

“Thank you and sorry for the trouble” I bowed down to him.

“No, no, that’s alright. Are you going home now?”

“Yes, my friend here has come to pick me up”

“Oh, in that case. Wait here”

 

I puzzlingly looked at him as he rummaged the back of his refrigerator, he then took out a round plastic corner. He handed it to me with a smile.

 

“Here. it’s a family recipe, a healthy snack for you to nibble when you get home. It takes away any fatigue”

“Ah. thank you.”

 

Tzuyu walked with us outside the shop. I gave her a hug and told her I’d come visit again. She promises to teach me the secret recipe to their mocha drink that I liked the next time I visit. We exchanged goodbyes before I hopped in on chae’s bike. I gave tzuyu one last wave before she start to move the bike. I wrapped my arms around chaeyoung’s waist, she didn’t complain and made me hugged her. Chaeyoung felt home, it’s like she’s been a part of me even though we just literally met last night. I wonder how it feels like to have a family? Is this how it feels like? I wonder.

 

“Hey, where’s your house?” chaeyoung suddenly asks.

“Oh, right. In PYJ dormitory”

“Oh, really? There’s where I’m staying too!”

“Hey, I really think you’re stalking me”

“Cut it out” I laughed from her response.

 

I look up to see the sky was filled with stars, I always loved the night sky ever since I was little. The suburbs shows the beautiful scenery more than the city I used to live before, must be because the sky is filled with pollution that it covers up this gorgeous sight. Moments later chaeyoung had made a stop in front of our dormitory, I hopped out of her bike and gave the helmet I wore to her. Once chaeyoung has finished parking her bike went inside the dormitory.

 

“What level are you in?” she asks

“The fifth. You?”

“I’m on the sixth.”

“Oh. let’s meet up at the  entrance at 7?”

“Alright, I’ll text you”

“Oh, right. How’d ya get my number?”

“Heechul-nim gave it to me last night. I was going to contact you when I get home, but I was too tired from the after party”

“After party?”

“Ah- yes, seulgi invited us over for a karaoke. Everyone was there, including victoria.”

“Oh. must be fun” my response sounded a little bitter than I expected.

“We could go later?” chaeyoung looked at me with a grin. The elevator door opened and it was my floor.

“I’ll think about it.” I told her as I got off the elevator.

“See you at front, chae” I added. She nodded in response and gave me a little wave goodbye. I chuckled a little bit from her gesture and she does too, the door closed and I went to my room afterwards. I unlocked the door and went straight to the bathroom, I adjusted the temperature of the water to a cold one. I remove all my clothings and began to soak myself with cold water, the cold water had replenish my energy back. I must’ve liked cold things too much that everything that’s related to it would always liven up my soul.

 

I wonder why that woman’s face started another flashback? This time it seems that we were close, the feeling is similar to a lover- Wait like I know how it feels like to have a lover, I never even had one friend until chae came to my life.

 

I brushed off the thoughts and turned off the shower, quickly wrapping the towel around my body, I began to choose my outfit for today. I won’t be performing but I would be helping out in waiting tables. It didn’t take me long to choose my outfit so I put them on the bed and began to blow dry my hair. I started putting on makeup after, but this time rather than putting on foundations and such, I made use of mascara, blush and lip tint. Within 20 minutes I was all prep up and ready to go. I looked at the time and it says 6:47. It seems that I still have time so I picked up my phone and opened it. I had 7 missed calls and 2 messages from LINE, I opened to see 5 missed calls from unknown number and 2 missed calls from Hee-nim as well as 2 LINE messages from him. I opened the LINE app immediately to respond to his messages.

 

Heenim: Sana, dear.

Heenim: Come to my office later.

4:32 PM 🗸

I replied with “Okay, I’ll see you then” before locking my phone. I closed my  eyes and took a deep breath. What could he wanted to see me for? It’s unusual for him to call me in his office, I mean usually he’d talk to me here in the dorm.

 

I stood up from the bed realizing that there’s no use in overthinking the situation. I picked up my bag and locked my way out. I went to the elevator and pushed the down button, I was looking at the window when the elevator opened that I didn’t notice.

 

“Sana” I turned to see chaeyoung in her leather pants and crop top nirvana shirt, on her shoulder was a half worn gray backpack, she was pressing the button that kept the elevator open.

“Oh, sorry” I tell her “I was dozing off”

“Are you sure you’re okay to work today?”

“Yeah. I’m fine. It’s just that I’ve been having some problems lately”

 

The elevator kept silent for a few seconds before chaeyoung faced me.

 

“Come drink with me later”

“Well, I don’t thi-”

“I wasn’t asking, I’m telling”

 

I was quite shocked with the way she said it, If she was a guy I would’ve felt submissive for a moment there. Actually, I don’t mind but she’s a little bit small to be the top one. I burst out laughing, I don’t even know where it came from but probably from what I just said on my mind.

 

“What’s funny?” she asks quite offended

“Nothing. I’m sorry” It took me a few more seconds to stop myself from laughing. “Alright. Whatever you say, baby cub”