Dazed and Confused

Tales of a Closeted Fanboy

"Let me get this straight okay?" Yixing sips on his beer, screwing his face before pointing at Chanyeol and continues, "One, you confessed to Byun Baekhyun."

The younger nods sullenly as he leans against the arm rest of the sofa, elbow propped up with his chin resting on the palm of his hand.

"Two," Yixing lifts two fingers up. "He made you leave his house."

Chanyeol's frown deepens at the memory of how Baekhyun pushed him away then screamed at him to leave

"Three, he never picked up any calls or messages from you after then."

A pout forms on his lips.

"And four, he's been avoiding you for four days now."

"Is the idea of being with me really revolting, Yixing?" Chanyeol whines as he ruffles his hair frustratedly. "I mean, I've been treating him really good and I'm not that ugly-"

"You're not ugly, that can be proven by the millions of fans who love Loey, including Baekhyun himself," Yixing says. "But as Chanyeol… you're still handsome, but context."

"Context?"

"I mean, Baekhyun's technically not gay," Yixing says matter-of-factly. "According to Jongdae, he went out with numerous girls. I mean, that's as straight as one can get, right? So yeah, it's not about a matter of how ugly you are. It's all down to Baekhyun's preferences."

"But why did he have to be so harsh…" Chanyeol pouts. "He can just, you know, reject me right?"

"Ah, that's where it gets interesting," Yixing wiggles his eyebrows as he leans forward.

Chanyeol frowns again "What? Why?"

"Disclaimer though, I'm not saying this because I'm giving you hope, alright?" Yixing says. "Now, I think Baekhyun reacted this way because he's confused."

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. "Elaborate?"

"Well people of both gender confessing to him is probably no new thing," Yixing rubs his chins. "But because it's you, he's scared and doesn't know what to do."

"Why? What's wrong with me?"

Yixing gives him a dirty look. "You're as clueless as he is, ."

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "Well what do you expect from someone who can't date normally?"

"Whatever," Yixing waves a hand. "Nothing's wrong with you. It's just that there's two things that we must consider. One is that Baekhyun is a bit surprised to hear a confession from a close friend or two," he lowers his voice and flashes a suggestive grin. "is that he harbors feelings for you without acknowledging it so when you confessed, it made him realize and he doesn't know what to do."

Chanyeol sighs in despair. No matter what it is, it doesn't change the fact that he'll be miserable for the next few days. He won't be able to see Baekhyun since he's intentionally avoiding him and ignoring his calls. He should've hust shut up and waited for a better time to try and confess. But really, what does he even know about like this? He's never even confessed nor dated anyone before since he's married to the music.

Chanyeol pouts again resentfully.

"This ."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To say that Baekhyun is confused is a total understatement.

Never had a confession bothered him this much before. It's just either he accept or rejects, as simple as that. He has received one from all kinds of people in school, from different genders at that. It's nothing new to him, yet here he is, somehow rendered immobile and unable to do anything just because of it.

Baekhyun should have just rejected Chanyeol like he does to all the men who wanted him before. It's easy peasy… except this time, it wasn't. The moment Chanyeol had confessed, there's this sudden feeling bubbling inside Baekhyun that made him shut up and not say a rejection and instead, made him push the older away and scream out to leave so he could have space and some time to think.

Why did he even act that way? Why is he even acting this way? Why does Baekhyun feel this weird feeling inside his chest whenever he remembers Chanyeol telling him him he liked him, the way his arms held him in an embrace, as if he was a precious thing that he wanted to cherish and protect?

And suddenly, it dawns on him.

Oh no.

It can't be.

Is he…?

"," Baekhyun says.

It can't be. He can't be freaking in love with Park Chanyeol. That's… that's several levels of wrong.

"This isn't right," he utters as he tugs at his hair in frustration. "It's wrong…"

"Umm, Baekhyun?"

Jolting out of his troubled thoughts, Baekhyun looks up and sees a raven-haired girl standing in front of him, giving him a bright, polite smile. She looks familiar, probably because he has occasionally seen her around campus at least once or twice.

"Yes?" Baekhyun asks as he straightens up. "Do you need anything?"

"Are you free right now?" she asks.

Baekhyun shrugs. "Depends on what you need."

"I just want to talk," she smiles. "It'll just be quick."

"Is it a confession?"

The girl's eyes widen at the abrupt straightforwardness, the smile vanishing across her face for a moment. She gapes helplessly at Baekhyun, speechless, before she picks up her composure and brings her smile back up.

"Yes, it's a confession," the girl chuckles. "Since you already know what I'm here for, I'll cut off the chase."

She straightens up and then clears .

"Hello, I'm Kim Taeyeon, the same year as you," she introduces herself. "And I like you Byun Baekhyun, will you go out with me?"

Baekhyun gazes at her for a couple of seconds. Well, she does look pretty enough. She has a mature feel to her, so Baekhyun probably wouldn't be as annoyed as he had been with the last five girls he has been with.

"Okay," Baekhyun agrees with a little shrug. "I'll date you."

Taeyeon blinks for a couple of minutes, taken aback by how easy that was.

"Is it really this easy to confess?" she wonders.

Baekhyun grins. "I like being straightforward with confessions. I just have to accept or reject, right?"

"I knew you had quite a record, but I was just surprised by how easy this all works for you," Taeyeon chuckles. "I thought you'd be picky or maybe put up a challenge since, let's be honest, you're one of the most desirable guys in school even if you don't hang out with the likes of Jiyong anymore."

"You don't have to worry about my approach to stuff like this," Baekhyun smiles. "Anyway, we should exchange numbers. Don't call me that much though, I don't like annoying girls."

"So I've heard," Taeyeon utters as she takes out her phone. "Kinda obvious with your dating record…"

"Are you free later?" Baekhyun gives her phone back. "Let's hang-out, I want to know you better."

The bell for the start of afternoon classes suddenly ring across campus. Taeyeon perks her head up to the sound, saying, "Hey, maybe we should head back."

"Want me to walk you to class?" Baekhyun offers, but Taeyeon just simply laughs, a pleasant and feminine sound that eases him up.

"Your classroom is closer, so if anything, it'll be me who will be walking you to class."

"Wow, that's something I never thought I'd hear from a girl," Baekhyun chuckles. "You're pretty interesting."

And just like that, Baekhyun's reputation rises again. Gossip starts to spread like wildfire as he and Taeyeon strut down the hallway, chatting casually. For the first time, he actually takes interest in this particular girl. Maybe this might just be his chance to actually be in a relationship.

You're a coward. This isn't what you want.

"Well, my classroom is down the corner," Taeyeon says as they stop in front of Baekhyun's classroom. He could feel his classmates' nosy eyes, ogling at the scene and talking about him and his new conquest once again. "I'll pick you up later. Let's go to a café not far from here, I want to eat cake."

"So you're the type to lead a relationship…" Baekhyun nods. "That's impressive, you're the first one of your kind that I've encountered."

Taeyeon brings a hand up to a chuckle. "Why are you talking like I'm a different specie or something?"

"Take it as a compliment," Baekhyun winks at her. "See you later."

Taeyeon simply waves at him, inserting her hands into the pockets of her blazer then walks off to her own class. Baekhyun heads for his desk, preparing himself for the interrogation that will definitely commence from his two friends.

"I heard Chanyeol confessed to you."

Baekhyun coughs, choking on his saliva at the abrupt and blunt statement from Jongdae. Composing himself, he gives his friend a glare and says, "Don't stay like this so casually."

"And now you're dating Kim Taeyeon," Jongdae clicks his tongue, giving him a dirty look. "What a loser. You're so freaking obvious."

Yixing elbows him. "Don't pick on Baekhyun."

"I can't help it, he's stupid."

"Hey, what do mean it's obvious?" Baekhyun demands, frowning.

Jongdae rolls his eyes. "It doesn't matter now, does it?"

"What the -"

"You're obviously confused about Chanyeol's confession so you dated her immediately to cover that fact," Jongdae says with an unimpressed tone to his voice. "You , Baekhyun."

The brunette pouts as he props his elbow on to the desk and leans his chin into his palm. "Then what do you want me to do, Jongdae? Because I honestly have no idea."

"Owning up to your feelings is a good start, but I doubt you'll even do that. Stupid."

"Psh," Baekhyun rolls his eyes at him. Easy for Jongdae to say, because he's not in Baekhyun's shoes. No one will understand how much Chanyeol actually scares him - from his suspicion about his identity as Loey to someone who he has trusted as a confidant and friend only to confess to him in the end, it's a never ending stream of confusion and fright for him. Plus the fact that he, admittedly, cares too much for how people perceive him so he has to deal with that too.

"You look kind of tired."

Baekhyun smiles at the raven-haired girl, who has diligently waited for his class that afternoon and picked him up as she said she would.

"Why would you say that?" Baekhyun chuckles.

"Your usually bright face is drained of it's natural glow," Taeyeon says matter-of-factly as she does hand gestures to emphasize her point. "I have to confess, I really like your face, you know? It's so clear and cute and soft and free from blemishes. I've admired your face for quite a long time, that's why I could easily notice any changes."

"That's kind of creepy, you know?" Baekhyun smiles as he cups his chin. "But I really like your honesty, it's amusing."

"So… is there anything bothering you? Wanna talk about it?"

Baekhyun purses his lips into a grim line.

"Nah, I don't want to burden you with problems on our first mini-date."

"Oh well… okay then."

Baekhyun hums. "We should go since the café might-" He gasps quietly when he feels a hand grab his and then yank him backwards to face the other direction. Taeyeon flinches in suprise, about to say something but shuts up when they realize who it was.

"Ch-Chanyeol-hyung?" Baekhyun says, immediately feeling heat rise up to his cheeks. Excitement flows through his body because as much as he denied it, he missed seeing the older boy after days of avoiding him. Now he's here, frowning down at him and looking every bit intimidating.

"Baekhyun, we should talk."

The brunette didn't want to. It's the last thing that he wanted to do.

Glancing at Taeyeon, Baekhyun says, "I can't, I've got a date-"

"You got a new girlfriend?"

The icy tone in Chanyeol's voice along with the subtle hurt made Baekhyun want to stab himself multiple times so he wouldn't have to feel this stupid, painful constricting inside his chest.

"Y-Yeah, this is Kim Taeyeon…" he manages to say. "Taeyeon, this is my friend, Park Chanyeol. He's a senior."

"I know," Taeyeon smiles politely. "Nice to meet you."

"Would you mind if I borrow Baekhyun for a sec?"

Taeyeon shrugs. "Not at all. I don't own him."

"It'll be quick, just please wait here."

Baekhyun wants to cry.

Without wasting time, Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun down a secluded wedge down a hallway. He corners him against the wall, making it hard for Baekhyun to breath. Damn this person's ability to suffocate him by his mere presence and aura alone.

"So you're gonna keep on acting like this?" Chanyeol says darkly, the crease between his eyebrows deepening. "You're gonna keep on ignoring me right after I confess to you, without any sort of closure?"

Baekhyun purses his lips. "It doesn't matter."

"Don't treat me like I'm a ing nobody to you, Baekhyun!" Chanyeol lashes out, making the brunette jolt at the sudden rise of his voice. "At least reject me properly before you go and date somebody! Isn't that what you do? It's just either you reject or accept, right? Why can't you just ing tell me that you don't like me?!"

"I don't know, okay?!" Baekhyun shouts back, fighting back tears from stress and the pressure of the current situation. "Don't ask me!"

There's just silence as they gaze at each other intently. Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol's intense glare soften up into their usual gentleness, but this time, there's something in them that made Baekhyun want to slap hinself - misery. There's misery and sadness as Chanyeol gazes down at him, delivering unspoken pleas.

"Baekhyun…" Chanyeol utters in a low, affectionate voice. He reaches out to cup his cheek, and Baekhyun doesn't move away from his touch. Even when Chanyeol slowly dips down as he tilts Baekhyun's head up, he doesn't move. He's just frozen on the spot.

"I… I like you so much…"

It feels so right, how Chanyeol's plump lips softly move against Baekhyun's. It's innocent and chaste, yet Baekhyun could feel the frustration and passion as clear as day. He didn't want this to end because it just feels so good, so right but…

"I can't do this," Baekhyun gasps out as he pushes Chanyeol away. He wipes his face, avoiding Chanyeol's pleading eyes as he straightens his clothes.

"I'm sorry," Baekhyun utters as he walks away.