Assistant to WHO?!

Assistant to MBLAQ?.... Noooo problem....

I was sitting on the chair in the headmaster's office while he was finishing up a phone call. He was smiling carefree into the phone. Seeing as I was here before the phone rang, I couldn’t help but feel a bit impatient. Not that I would ever interrupt him. Not in this lifetime. I gripped the chair I was sitting on and felt the splinters of the wood go into my nails but not far enough in to hurt.

He finally hung up and turned to me with a smile. Normally, I’d be surprised. But seeing we’re here to take about my scholarship, the smile didn’t really get into my brain. I gripped the chair harder.

 

"Rin, seems as though the gods have decided to smile upon you"

Staring at the headmaster, I raised an eyebrow in confusion. The headmaster was usually such a serious, no-nonsense, strict guy. He had a head of comb-backed gray hair, and looked to be in his fifties. He was known for his strictness but he had on that same smile which I just noticed and it was kinda freaking me out. I opened my mouth to speak but he held up his hand

 

"How would you like outside experience of working as an assistant?"

You have GOT to be joking . . .

 

"Headmaster, please pardon my rudeness,” I began with a shaky tone. “But what has this outside experience have to do with me losing my scholarship?" I blushed and looked down, preparing myself for a stern scolding. Instead of lecturing me the headmaster laughed, almost sending me into a state of shock seeing as laughing was something he rarely did so that he could emphasize strictness in the school

 

"Oh Rin, I apologize for not explaining the situation fully,” The headmaster apologized with a slight bow of his head.  “But this is such an honor for this school to be hand-picked, that I believe I became overly excited" The headmaster clapped his hands together suddenly and I looked up, startled, but he once again had a stern face on. Now that seems to be the headmaster I know. "Rin, that was the manager of a famous boy band named MBLAQ"

. . . . . .

So after nearly choking on air and ending my coughing series, the headmaster continued speaking.

 

"Well, I trust you are aware of them."

Aware of them?! I loathed MBLAQ with a passion, something about their style was so overrated and I didn't do overrated. Period. Sure they had some good music but the group itself was a failure at life!! Ugh!  Despite all that I kept my focus on the headmaster

 

"They seem to be looking for an assistant. The part of the deal that pertains to you is that if any person is an assistant to this group for a year, then they will pay the student’s full tuition" My eyes shot wide open and they stung with happy tears, despite being in the presence of the headmaster a smile broke out on my face and I was tempted to do would Lilly would do and jump for joy shamelessly. Then I remembered where I was and ducked my head quickly to hide my reaction. "I have already informed them that I had the perfect person, but if you don't want to-" I widened my eyes and shot up from my seat.

 

"No! I want to!" I slammed my palms on the headmaster’s desk and was rewarded with a strict glare. I blushed and slowly slid my hands into my lap as I sat back down. My and stupid reactions. Also, if looks could kill . . . "I apologize headmaster, please continue." I told him, holding back the squeak that was threatening to escape my throat as the headmaster’s scary expression.

 

"Well, since you have already strongly expressed your acceptance" He ground out the words between clenched teeth. Yup, that squeak’s right there. Just a few more scary looks. "All that is left is for you to sign this contract detailing your work and rights." He handed me a small stack of papers "Go to your dorm room and review this before signing."

 

"Nomu kamsahamnida Headmaster!" I thanked him excitedly as I shot up again and bowed.

 

"You are dismissed." The headmaster said. I my heel to leave but then remembered an important detail.

 

"Excuse me headmaster?"
 

            "Yes Rin?"

 

"When do you want the contract back? Also, when do I begin work?"

 

"Oh! The contract is needed back by the end of December, which is this month, and you start on January 1st." I numbly bowed and left quietly. January, the word floated in my mind as I stared dazedly at the cream colored wall of the hallway I’m walking down.

 

"January . . ." I whispered to myself as my feet moved on their own. My flats made virtually no sound. The hall was empty due to the early day prep rally going on in the main courtyard.

Half of me was happy and relieved to the highest extent, even though I would be working with the dreaded MBLAQ. From years of holding my feelings back from my parents, my happiness didn't show on my face however. Or maybe it was because part of me was thinking logically:

 

What am I going to tell Lilly?

 

Anguish gripped me and temporarily silenced my happiness. I couldn't just leave her alone for a year! That’s crazy! We were always together since she found me in the street. She needed me and I needed her. What if she happened to meet a psycho in the street and not just some scared girl like me? She could really get hurt without me there. And I have some horrible social skills, being with Lily always took the focus off me.

In the midst of all my internal thinking I didn't know where I was going. My thoughts were abruptly interrupted as I crashed into another body. Papers and books flew everywhere as we tumbled to the ground. Luckily, my fall was cushioned by a different body. A body?

 

"Choesonghamnida!!"(Sorry) There were a few seconds of silence and I opened my eyes to see a pair of startled blue ones. A foreigner?

We usually didn't get to meet a lot of foreigners, and I technically didn't count. According to Lilly, it was because I had Korean qualities and I wasn’t much different than them. I scrambled to get off the boy that I didn't recognize, who was now giving me a boyish smile. I bowed my head and blushed as I struggled to find words to fill the awkward silence, but he beat me to it

 

"Aniyo, uh, chonun hangungmal chalmot aeyo." (No problem, uh, my Korean is bad) I nearly laughed at his accent (though it was kind of cute) but I hid it by picking up the fallen items, plus who was I to judge? I was just lucky to have Lilly and her parents to help me out. They practically raised me for the last two years.

I heard him moving to pick up the things with me and I looked at him through my eyelashes, he had honey-brown hair and blue eyes with straight white teeth; a typical pretty boy. He was also wearing the blue t-shirt that made you want to do a double-take when he passed by.

I blushed harder and began to neatly stack the books and papers. Couldn't help that I was a neat freak but I kind of liked ordering things. It was fun. I finished with my half of the things and got up after sliding the papers his way and dusted off my jeans.

 

"Do you speak English? My name is Tyler" He held out his hand but I didn't dare take it and soon enough he put it down and I finally smiled at him

 

"Yes I speak English. And my name is Rin" This was as social as I was willing to get with this new boy so I started to walk away after a final polite smile but then he grabbed my arm to stop me. My heartbeat sped up and goosebumps appeared on my arm.

 

"Will I be seeing you around Rin? I'm new here by the way." I turned back to look at him with red cheeks. Keeping my eyes down to the floor, I answered.
 

"Umm, yeah, sure why not?" He smiled and finally let go of my arm and I rushed down the hallway.

 

"Goodbye Rin!" I barely heard him call after me as I rounded the corner and put my back against the wall trying to shake away the image of my father

 

"Come here you little brat!"

Pa grabbed my arm hard enough to possibly stop the circulation and raised his other hand

. . .

 

I shook my head again, successfully dispelling the memories, and rubbed my arm to get rid of the feeling of being grabbed. I once again began the slow travel to my dorm room and to Lily . . .