Discarded shards of my broken heart

Train to Paradise

삐끗삐끗고장마음이라
이대로보낼없어어쩌자고

Because my heart is a broken heart
I can’t let you go like this, what now?

Woohyun sat on the table as he stared listlessly across the bright room, the curves of the polished timbered floors all too evident under the wash of pale sunlight. He studied the way small flecks of dust would dance under the beam of golden rays, his mind caught up in memories from long ago.

“Woohyun-ah!” Sunggyu giggled as he ran into their new house, “isn’t it just beautiful?”

Woohyun laughed as Sunggyu ran through each room excitedly like a small child with his favourite candy. He loved this sweet and adorable side to Sunggyu, one that was reserved only for him. His and his only. He quickly shook off the heavy luggage slung over his back and proceeded to run after Sunggyu, the excitement catching up to him, as he caught up to the older man.

Laughing, Woohyun reached out and pulled Sunggyu into a rough hug; one that sent them tumbling to the polished timber floorboards. Woohyun couldn’t resist a burst of laughter when Sunggyu sneezed adorably, his tiny eyes scrunched up cutely.

“I think we need to dust this place, Woohyun.” Sunggyu murmured as he rubbed his nose.

Woohyun nodded, simply content to just sprawl on the bare floor with Sunggyu wrapped in his arms. Sunggyu sighed as he let his head rest against Woohyun’s chest, slipping his arms around Woohyun’s neck, before bringing his head up for a quick peck against Woohyun’s lips.

“Isn’t this perfect?” he whispered, eyes shining in excitement and happiness. Woohyun smiled, and answered by cupping Sunggyu’s face and bringing him in for another kiss, longer and more passionate.

“It’s perfect.” Woohyun agreed, and he wasn’t just talking about their new home.

Sunggyu stared back at Woohyun, his heart trapped within the confines of this house. He was sprawled on the floor exactly like he had once been, all those years ago. The only difference this time was that Woohyun couldn’t see him. Woohyun couldn’t hear him. He watched as Woohyun slowly slid off the table to wander aimlessly across the room.

There was nothing Sunggyu could do. He reached out and tried to touch Woohyun, only to let a soft sob when his hand brushed was brushed aside by Woohyun as if his body had no real solid form.

He watched as Woohyun came to a halt, directly in front of the only other piece of furniture in the room covered in a glistening white sheet. There was a single photo frame lying on top, its clear window shattered and cracked. Within the confines of the broken glass, Sunggyu could just make out a picture of a happy couple, one with raven back hair and broody soulful gaze, the other with caramel coloured hair and sweet chocolate brown eyes.

“That’s us, isn’t it?” Sunggyu asked, but Woohyun didn’t answer. He sighed as he leant against the table, watching as Woohyun slowly picked up the silver frame and traced the edges of the couple with the tip of his finger longingly, desire evident in his eyes.

“You’re here with me, aren’t you?” Woohyun asked quietly, speaking almost to himself. Sunggyu jerked up, almost unable to believe what he had just heard. He gazed intently at Woohyun, fingers clenched into a fist as he waited for the younger man to say something else.

“I-It feels like you’re standing right next to me, Sunggyu.” Woohyun whispered as he ran his hand achingly over the silver frame. Sunggyu sighed in disappointment as he felt the tears well up in his eyes.

“But I am here with you,” he mumbled quietly as he slid off the wooden table to stand next to the other man, “you trapped me here Woohyun. I’m here because of you.”

He wrapped his arms around Woohyun’s waist as Woohyun slowly caressed the old picture.

“I won’t let you leave me,” Woohyun whispered, his eyes piercing with an intense hunger, “my heart’s broken because of you.”

Sunggyu stood there silently, an aching pain in his heart, when he heard those words, the very same words that tied him inexplicably to this place and to his lover.

“I won’t let you leave our paradise.” Woohyun echoed.

“Why am I here?” Sunggyu whispered as he leant against Woohyun, pressing his cheek against the younger man’s back, “why can’t you let me go like this?”

He sniffled as the tears started to roll down his pale cheeks, even as he felt Woohyun’s shoulders shake with repressed sobs.

“What now?”