Chapter Twelve

Blood Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was currently eating breakfast with Sese and I keep on glancing at him, looking for a chance to ask question. Last night, I decided that I need to grab every opportunity that will come my way in order to recover my memory. I can’t just slack here and wait for a miracle. So I contacted Jinhwan and informed him that I’ll go to his place today. He said that he’ll pick me up early. I told him that he don’t need to but he insisted – telling me that he wants to and he already knows the address – how did he know? He didn’t tell me but I’m sure he already made a background check of Sese and I kind of sense that he already know about my accident. I was worried he might find out about the truth behind the engagement of me and Sese but he didn’t ask about it, yet. If ever he would, I’ll just brush him off and tell him this is my life and he have no rights over my decisions – harsh but I have to, since I promised to Sese that I won’t tell a soul. I have to protect this engagement, even if it’s just fake.

I sighed. I suddenly lost appetite. Yeah. I forgot that this whole situation is not real. That I was only hired to act as his fiancé. That I shouldn’t be moved by it and should stop whatever feeling that starting to bloom in my heart. Just the other night, when I was with Sese in the garden, I thought of just letting this feeling grow – wanting to still feel the contentment, peacefulness, and happiness – but now, ruthless reality slapped me with the fact that I can’t let it grow instead I have to let it go. “Rule number 5 – Don’t ever fall in love with Sese or else the contract will be terminated and I will immediately force out of his house, out of his life.”

“You know, it’s rude to play with your food.” I looked up and saw Sese staring at me with a scowl marring his handsome face.

“Ah? Yeah. Sorry.” I put aside my spoon and fork and just drink my hot chocolate. I glance at Sese and he was still looking at me – observing me. “Yes?” I asked.

“Are you okay? You’ve been rather quiet this past few days. You’re not even pestering me.” He said raising a brow at me, the last part was said in a whisper-like voice.

I grinned at him. “Why? Did you miss me?” I teased. He snorted but said nothing. “Woah. I knew it! You miss me!” my grin widen and I crossed my arms on my chest. “The great Sese miss me pestering him! Don’t worry my dear Sweetheart, I’ll start pestering you right away!” I even stood up with raised hand above my head to exaggerate.

“Yah! You’re such an assuming woman.” He huffed. “I didn’t miss you. Tch. The house just became quiet and my life just became peaceful without you talking non-stop. And I like it that way. Very much.” He smirk at me arrogantly.

I playfully glared at him. “Tch! You’re just saying that because you’re denying that you miss my oh-so-beautiful voice.” I said with smug expression.

Sese scoffed. “Huh! Who said that your voice is beautiful? That person must be deaf.”

“Yah! So you’re saying Mrs. Kim is deaf?! How dare you! I’ll pass as a professional singer with my voice!” I argued.

He rolled his eyes on me. “It’s Chiu, not Kim.” He said in deadpan tone.

“Tch. Whatever! It’s the same! Besides, Kim is a nice surname.” I retort. His face suddenly turned grim then he stood up. He started gathering his things. “If you say so. I’m done here.” He then went towards the door, leaving. I watch him dumbfounded at his sudden coldness. What happened to him? I thought we were having fun?

I followed him until in the living room, watching his retreating back with a frown. Did I said something wrong? He was about to open the door when he suddenly stopped. He glance at me over his shoulder then to the floor. “I want… tteokbokki and bulgogi for dinner.” He said.

When the realization that he’ll come home to have dinner with me registered, my frown vanished and immediately replaced by a bright smile. “Okay! I’ll help Mrs. Chur cook!”

He shook his head when he opened the door but not before I saw a tiny smile on his lips. I smile even more. “Bye Sese! Take care!” I energetically waved, with a nod at my direction, he left.

When Sese left, Mrs. Chen-chen went beside me and bumped my shoulder playfully. “Aigoo, Ma’am Suhyun. You should’ve give him a goodbye kiss!” She teased. I grinned at her.

“Oh! That’s a good idea! Maybe I’ll do it next time.” I playfully replied with a wink. She chuckled and went to the kitchen, leaving me in the living room smiling to myself – remembering the first time I kissed Sese. I chuckled at the memory. His expression that time was really funny.

I suddenly felt vibration from my pocket. I took out my phone and saw that there’s a message from Jinhwan.

From: Kim Jinhwan

I’m almost there.

Huh? Why-? Ah! He’s going to pick me up today! And I almost forgot about it! Tch. I even forgot to ask Sese if I could go somewhere. And when I say somewhere, it means to Jinhwan’s place – but I can’t really tell Sese that. He’ll probably won’t allow me. I can’t also say about Jinhwan’s connection to me, at least not now. Maybe not asking Sese is the best, this way I won’t have to lie to him.

I sighed. I guess I’ll just go without Sese’s awareness. His busy anyway. I’ll just go back before dinner to help Mrs. Char cook. I smiled to myself and went upstairs to change.

I chose to wear more comfortable clothes – black jogging pants and red jacket with hood. I also wore my faded old converse and my red beanie. There! I miss wearing the clothes Nurse Hyejin gave me. I grabbed my phone. I unlock it and looked at the screen. I giggled. My wallpaper is the face of Sese sleeping – one time he went home so tired that he fell asleep in the sofa like a baby. I took a picture of him without him knowing before waking him up to eat dinner. I placed it on my pocket and went downstairs.

I left the house after I told Mrs. Chan that I just wanted to go outside for a walk. I can feel my heart beating fast. Why am I suddenly nervous?

After few minutes, a black mercedez stopped in front of me. The window went down and revealed the person I’ve been waiting. I felt my heart missed a beat when he smiled at me.

“Hi.” He greeted with a smile. I stared at him and greeted back in an almost whisper tone. “Hi.”

“What happened to you? Aren’t you going to get in?” he asked chuckling. My cheeks redden at the embarrassment and immediately went inside his car. I sat down the passenger seat. He smiled at me. Suddenly, he made a movement that surprised me – he leaned closer. I gasped, eyes widening, I reflexively leaned back holding my breath. He went closer until we’re only inches away, he was looking at me with intense eyes and… longing? What is he doing?! I was already freaking out mentally.

I was drowning in those pool of gray eyes when I heard a ‘click’ then he leaned back a little and smiled at me. “There! Safety first right?”

I looked down and saw that he buckled my seatbelt. Oh. I thought he was going to… My eyes widen a bit. Yah! Why am I even thinking that way?! I sighed. I’m going crazy. I can still feel the heat on my cheeks. “Thanks.” I said not looking at him, instead I glance outside the window.

The trip has been very quiet. No one is talking. I didn’t know why we suddenly went like this. The first time we met, he’s far from being quiet and serious. But now, he’s acting different – aloof. I don’t want this awkwardness to linger any longer so I decided to break the ice.

“So!” I chirped. “Uhm, where are you taking me? I mean, your house, is it still in Daego?” I asked. He glance at me with a small smile. “No. It’s far from Daego. And we’re not going to my house. I’m actually taking you to our headquarters, your old mansion.”

My eyes widen at the information. “My house?” I asked surprised. I thought we are just going to his place.

He nodded. “Yes. I told you, I’m going to show you proof to back up my stories. And I think this way, there’s a big possibility that you’ll recover your memory faster.” I nodded agreeing to what he said. Wait! He said headquarters, what does he mean by that?

“What do you mean ‘our headquarters’?” I look at him questioningly. He smiled at me. “You’ll see later. They are probably can’t wait to see you again.” He chuckled. I grew even more curious.

“Who are they?” I asked.

“Secret.” He winked. I pouted. “Yah! Jinhwan!” he chuckled. I find his laugh refreshing. I smiled at him. At least the awkwardness was removed.

A few moments later, we travelled on a narrow and deserted road leading to something like a forest. The place is most likely far from city and is almost like isolated and is surrounded with trees. Why would my parents build house in the middle of nowhere? My mind is racing, thinking of the possible look of the ‘mansion’. From what I could remember, it’s big and beautiful on the inside but the image of what it looks like on the outside is still not clear. I’m hoping that after today, most of my memories will come back to me. After almost 3 hours of travelling, I saw a big black gate in front of us. Jinhwan lowered the window.

“It’s me. Open the gate.” He said. The gate then automatically opened slowly revealing a path leading to a big white mansion. There are trimmed trees on both sides of the path. I can’t help but gape at the sight. This is our mansion? The place looked like it’s already been many years since it was build but it clearly retained the beauty of it. Jinhwan parked the car and turn off the car’s engine. I could feel my heart beating fast. Whether it’s because of excitement, nervousness, or fear, I don’t know. It could also be a mixture of the three.

“Ready?” I heard him asked. I look at him and nodded. I unbuckle my seatbelt and got off the car. Nice cool wind touched my skin. I followed Jinhwan who then walked towards the direction of the mansion’s door. An old man in a suit bowed down respectfully in front of him and greeted him.

“Welcome back Master Jinhwan. They are waiting for you in your headquarters.” The man said still bowing. When the old man raised his head, his eyes landed on me and it suddenly widen like he saw a ghost. “L-Lady Suhyun…”

“Ah. Yeah. Good morning.” I bowed down respectfully. The man looked shock from my action. Then I tilted my head to the side. “Wait. You know me?” I asked looking at him and Jinhwan back and forth.

“Wha-?” the old man looked at Jinhwan with questioning eyes. Jinhwan patted the old man’s shoulder. He then looked at me. “Suhyun, this is Mister Jung Rojoon. He’s the head butler of this house. He has served your family for more than 30 years already.” My eyes widen at the information. That long?! Meaning he has been serving my parents even before I was even born?

“Mister Jung, our Suhyun has come back but she’s suffering from memory loss because of an accident so she doesn’t remember you, or us.” Jinhwan explained. The man looked at me with teary eyes. He moved closer to me and grabbed my hand softly and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’m glad you’re back, Lady Suhyun. It’s been almost a year since I last saw you.” He said emotionally. What? Almost a year? But my accident has been just almost three months ago. I’ve been gone for that long? Why? My mind has formed so many questions that I just stared at the old man in front of me.

“Ah. Since now that you’re here. I’ll prepare all your favorite food, Lady Suhyun.” He smiled brightly at me. Even with the wrinkles in his face, I could say that Mister Jung is very handsome in his younger years. He’s also giving this cozy aura like Nurse Hyejin have so I gave him my bright smile. “I would love that Mister Jang!” I cheered. He laughed and patted my head. “You haven’t changed even if you forgot many things. You still love teasing other people.” I grinned at him and looked at Jinhwan. I found him smiling at me.

 

It was like I was wandering in my dreams. The furniture, paintings, vases, chandelier, walls, floor, these are all the same in my dreams or should I say memory. Even the feeling of finally home is there.  I smiled to myself.

“Do you remember anything?” Jinhwan asked beside me. I smiled at him, “Yeah. I can remember glimpses of this house but other than that, it’s still a blur.” I answered, looking disappointed. “So where are we going?”

“To the basement, the headquarters.” He said and opened a room. It look like an office with a single table and a chair in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter